Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I buy this truck?

nigel87nigel87 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am currently looking at a 1986 Ford F-250 4X4 Lariat. This would be my first veichle. It has a 6.9 diesel engine with 140,000 KM or 86,940 miles. I spoke to the owner and he said the heads were replaced at the 120,000 (74,520 miles) mark. What does that mean. He also told me that he's changed the oil every 3,000 miles and he adds a engine additive. He also mentioned the front yoke seal is not good. He told me he gets an average 20 MPG. Also this truck is showing it's age, it's rusting around the wheel wells and there's a small spot on the driver's door. He told me he's been watching those spots and he said they were there since he got the truck 5 years ago, and they haven't changed since. I'm a bit weary to take his word since he's trying to make a buck off of me. The lowest I could get him down to is $3,200 (Canadian). Is this a steal or am I being taken for a ride? He said that he could take the engine out and sell it on it's own for $4,000 easy. He also told me that the rims were worth at least $1,000. But it's the rust that really concerns me.

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    First thing I would ask myself - do I really NEED a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck?

And, a diesel?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    First vehicle? What do you hual now with no vehicle? What will you use it for?

I have a 3/4 ton truck but mostly I drive a Corolla
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    $4,000 for that engine?!?!?! I don't think so. $1,000 for stock '86 wheels, assuming they are stock?!?!? I think he's trying to take ya. I'd look elsewhere.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    This is a eighteen-year-old truck. The amount of rust you are indicating doesn't surprise me, in fact for a Ford of that vintage it appears to be NOT showing its age in my opinion.

As far as the cylinder head work, I think you'll find that on the 6.9 of that era it was not all that uncommon. The 6.9 has been described as basically reliable, but suffered from high maintenance cost. Valve work before 100,000 miles is not unheard of on that motor.

As Mullins implied I think the prices he's quoting you for used motor and wheels is a little high, even in Canadian dollars. There is very, very, very little call for a used diesel motor complete. Diesels are generally very durable and are usually refreshed or rebuilt if performance or oil consumption becomes a problem.

What I don't know about is what the used diesel light duty pick-up market is like in your neck of the woods. A used Dodge with a Cummins motor, undoubtedly the best of the diesel motors, in my opinion, might bring $2700 around here in the same condition as you describe the Ford. On the other hand, I've never seen a used Dodge, or GM, or Ford for that matter of that age for sale, much less diesels in general. Most diesel owners take them to the grave.

I think the rest of your respondents have given you fair advice, but maybe -- maybe -- if you really need a diesel it could be the cheapest one you'll find. I don't know. A '95 with a 5.4 gasoline engine might do you just fine and likely cost you less, too. If you need more power, a used Dodge V10 would work. Fuel consumption on any gas motor is going to be lower, however.

Best regards,
    Dusty
This discussion has been closed.