Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tomg312tomg312 Member Posts: 1
    I hve a limited question. My brake warning light is flashing. Is this a serious problem?
  • richardsonrichardson Member Posts: 92
    Check the brake fluid level.
  • elainechenelainechen Member Posts: 3
    What did you find out - is your transaxel covered under the 100,000 warranty? My transaxel just failed at 90K miles on my 2003 Prius. Do you know of a good source for used transaxel if it is not covered under warranty? Thanks so much!!
  • akuaku Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I would like to buy something for the top of my Prius (2005model) that will be able to carry at least two bikes, possibly a canoe, two kayaks, and skies (at different times, of course). I am looking for something that would not create alot of drag if it is not in use that would cut down on mileage. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Aku
  • sweetie2sweetie2 Member Posts: 2
    I had my first oil change done by a service station (not a Toyota dealership service) The "maint req" light is still on. How to turn off? Thanks
  • bic1bic1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a Prius but many people tell me the rear view is terrible. Any thoughts about this?
  • b767b767 Member Posts: 6
    EZ directions are in the Owners Manual :)
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Drive one and decide for yourself. Except for the rear view being split by the rear spoiler, it isn't bad.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you posted this some time ago. perhaps you've looked on-line for thule or yakama roof rack solutions. there are probably others. regards.
  • propel2propel2 Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my 05 Prius on Sat. No complaints about city driving but on highway, going 65-75 mph, I feel like the car is being buffeted by the wind. My foot is steady on the gas pedal but it is driving like I'm off/on/off the pedal. Anyone else get this sensation or have an explanation? Most of my driving is highway & would hate to have to live w/ this "rocking" motion on my 350+ mile trips.
    thanks
    Also have 05 Prius. On the freeway (normal cc speed around 75, just keeping up with traffic) the car does not track as well as my other cars, so it feels like it needs frequent correction to go straight. It took a couple thousand miles before it stopped being an annoyance. The car still feels easily set off course and more demanding to keep in lane.

I've tried varying tires pressures and saw no change. With no other cars around, and on a very even surface, the car tracks fine.
    the car has VSC, wondered if that might be a factor. Agree about having to "work" to keep the car in lane, especially w/ trucks nearby or wind. The "surging" feel is my bigger disappointment, after my 35 mile commute this AM, I feel a bit dizzy.

thanks for the reply
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Agree about having to "work" to keep the car in lane, especially w/ trucks nearby or wind. The "surging" feel is my bigger disappointment, after my 35 mile commute this AM, I feel a bit dizzy."

You might want to mention it to the dealer the next oil change, maybe there is something wrong. The throttle should not provoke a "surging" feeling. Does this happen with cruise control engaged?
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    Edmunds' full test of the 2004 Prius reports:

The electric power steering is very light and, at highway speeds, it has a floaty feeling and the tires tend to catch the grooves in the pavement. At times, the car seems disconnected from the road.

Perhaps, this has something to do with what you are feeling when you are driving on the highway, unless that problem was fixed in the 2005...
    haven't tried cc yet (will tomorrow when I have a 300+ mile driving day). I'll have my business partner w/ me, looking for a 3rd party to confirm the surge sensation.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The car I drove that was a dedicated dealer demo had this problem in spades, and I have heard it mentioned before.

Driving a friend's Prius, which is a very new car, I had no sensation of the surging at all at any speed, and we put nearly 50 miles on it during my "test".

Conclusion:? Who knows, but I suspect software again....or just production variance?

Speaking of tire pressures, the dealer demo rode like a truck - I suspect they were running the tires at super-pressures to try to pump up the fuel consumption numbers. Our friend's car rode like I expect a Toyota to behave - supple and always comfortable. Both cars were indeed a bit twitchy in a cross-wind situation, but nothing out of the ordinary, in my opinion.
  • rasmanrasman Member Posts: 10
    anyone else notice that the prius seatbelts are annoying? Mine keep tightening on my waist. Anyone know of a cure for this problem. ??
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i think a more inflated tire is going to exagerate that effect.

ever driven a vehicle where the front tires were over-inflated and feel/classify the stearing as "light"?
  • rasmanrasman Member Posts: 10
    is there any way to disable the reverse"back up" beeper/ that sounds whenever car is in reverse? i have a long driveway and find it quite iritating. thanks for any help. ras
  • luckieluckie Member Posts: 1
    In Calif there are a number of individuals waiting for each Prius. So, all the dealers don't care if you wait until next year -- they will just call the next person. The going price is MSRP -- nothing over nothing under --- I have had my Prius two weeks now after waiting 6 weeks and I love it--- its GREAT in all respects.....
    "I have had my Prius two weeks now after waiting 6 weeks and I love it--- its GREAT in all respects..."

Check with your tax man next year; I think there is a tax deduction on this year's model, so you haven't entirely lost out on the tax breaks. Enjoy your new Prius.
    Four months ago, when I bought mine, all the dealers around here (SoCal) had a number of Prius on the lot. The dealer I bought from had 7. Now it is back to first come first serve with a list of people waiting to be called.

Does anyone have any information on how far a Prius can go when driven in battery only mode? Judging from how fast the battery discharges it looks like less than two miles at 25 to 30 mph speeds and no up hill.
    That is about right.
  • rsharprsharp Member Posts: 103
    How to Disable Reverse Beep in a Toyota Prius

The engine of the Toyota Prius turns off when you stop, so it's easy to forget that it will move when you press the accelerator. As a safety measure, Toyota installed a loud beep in the interior when the car is in reverse. Some people find this annoying, luckily, it is easily disabled.

Steps

1. Press the power switch
    2. Set the trip/odometer switch to "odometer" (if it's already in that mode, one must go out of odometer mode and back into it).
    3. Press the power switch to turn the car off.
    4. With foot on brake hit power switch again and wait till the ready light illuminates.
    5. Within six seconds, press and hold the trip/odometer switch for 10 seconds or more.
    6. While still holding that switch, after 10 seconds, shift from park to reverse, and then back to park. Now release the switch.
    7. The trip/odometer display will show "b on" instead of miles.
    8. Toggle the trip/odometer switch till the display shows "b off."
    9. Turn power off.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    "Drive one and decide for yourself. Except for the rear view being split by the rear spoiler, it isn't bad."

I agree with that!

You have to be careful, but the side mirrors help too.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Try installing the BT stiffening plate. Do a google search. I installed it on my sister's car and it truly transforms the car. It corners flat, handles better and improves stability. It's very easy to install once the car is jacked or on ramps. Took me ten minutes. Also, ditch the OEM tires. They're awful and contribute to the Prius poor handling out of the box. Get the Goodyear Triple treds (one plus size same rotation). It will work wonders.
  • rg9rg9 Member Posts: 10
    Congratulations to the owners who withstood the onslaught of people defending Toyota. Its funny how some groups feel a need to protect a company whose products have defects. This recall proves the problem does exists and owners were not making things up. Toyota's denial of the problem seems very hollow.

Congratulations to NHTSA also for opening up the investigation and forcing Toyota to address the problem. Without their involvement this thing would have dragged out even longer than it already did.
  • z2imz2im Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the rubber all season floor mats from my dealer to protect the light color rugs that soil so quickly and easily from the rain, snow, mud, etc. that we experience in the Northeast for much of the year. I have discovered a potential hazard in using the factory mats. Because of there thickness and the mat placement, the accelerator pedal can become lodged under the mat if/when you hit the pedal firmly to accelerate (for example out of a jam). Of course, none of us who are interested in saving money on gas should EVER press the accelerator quickly and firmly, but I confess that I errored (for this I apologize). If you do happen to experience the revving of the engine, reach down and reposition the mat closer to the seat to release the accelerator. I wish you all safe driving!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rg9,

What do you drive?
  • gasmisergasmiser Member Posts: 7
    Wow, well maybe that explains it. I own a 2004 Prius which I brought home Aug 2004. Went to a movie in July 2005 (came out of the theatre 2 hours later, and there is a bull's eye type, round crack in the center of my windshield. Definitely was not there before I went into the theatre and there was no construction going on in the area. This of course was parking lot so no fast moving traffic to kick up a stone (like on the highway). So, either a kid threw a stone or it cracked on its own........anyone else?????
    Have been driving a 2004 Prius for 15 months. First thing I noticed when I drove it home from the dealership was the surge. It is not subtle but in fact pretty obvious. I just wrote it off to the electric/gas combo.........have gotten used to it and is not so obvious to me now but I suspect it would be the first thing someone would notice (this surge is on the highway at hiher speeds it seems) if they have never driven a Prius.
    "Have been driving a 2004 Prius for 15 months. First thing I noticed when I drove it home from the dealership was the surge. It is not subtle but in fact pretty obvious. I just wrote it off to the electric/gas combo.........have gotten used to it and is not so obvious to me now but I suspect it would be the first thing someone would notice (this surge is on the highway at hiher speeds it seems) if they have never driven a Prius."

Have you had the recall done on your Prius? I don't think the Prius should surge like that, it could be the problem with the computer module that has been recently the subject of a recall.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    if it cracked on its own, it would be a straight crack with no bullseye, those should have started from the edge or at a warp or "wrinkle" of some sort in the field of vision. although glass IS a colloid, and it can fail anywhere.

the bullseye says some kid threw a stone.

if you don't have fingers extending out more than a millimeter or two from the bullseye, it can be repaired. otherwise, call the insurance guy and have fun.
    I am supposed to get a notice from the dealer or from Toyota? Haven't gotten anything yet.
    "I am supposed to get a notice from the dealer or from Toyota? Haven't gotten anything yet."

Don't depend on it. Call your dealer and ask if your particular vehicle is included in the recall.
  • tricraigtricraig Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone else had problems with the brakes on their Prius suddenly failing? My wife rear-ended a car last week in slow moving traffic (20mph) after applying the brakes, having them "pulse" several times, then the brake pedal went to the floor with no braking action. When she called the dealership, the guy said "Oh, there was a guy in here last week that said he stepped on the brake and it went to the floor and he couldn't stop".

Wondering if there is another software problem, or if the ABS system has a malfunction. Toyota is still investigating, I'll post results as they come in.
  • wanneswannes Member Posts: 1
    Found the problem I'm experiencing too. Want to know if this steering issue has gotten a solution.
    I'm intending to write letters to Toyota. My dealer agreed there is a problem but which he can't solve, because the steering is electrical and so it must be a software-problem. But he doesn't get back-up from TOYOTA BELGIUM. Even the major manager from TOYOTA BELGIUM (close contact with my dealer) driving a prius admits there is a problem, but it seems they don't move!
    let me know if you managed to get together already.
    Hi Little Pogi,

Where are you located and what Toyota dealer repaired under warranty completely? Do you know what was wrong with the Transazel? My 03 Prius had the same problem and I was told that the Tranazel is out of warranty.

Thanks so much!!

Elaine
    My 03 Prius with 90k miles had the Hybrid System alert and was told by dealer that both the transaxle (MG2) and inverter failed. Inverter was covered by warranty but was told that transaxle warranty expired. After spending more that $1,900 putting in a used transaxle, the Prius lost power on the freeway again after less than 1,000 miles. Then the Hybrid system warning came on. This time I was told the transaxle failed again with MG1 Starter problem and it is not covered by warranty.

How many cars out there with such problems and how many were covered by warranty? This sounds like a fleet-wide problem to me. Two more cars with 75k and 110K miles at the same dealership had the MG2 and inverter failures.

Thanks!
  • jerryb4jerryb4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 05 Prius. When the gasoline engine cuts off while stopped, it does so very rough. So much so that the whole care shakes and lurches. This is especially the case when the car is cold. The service department said this was normal, but I don't believe it. Does anyone else have this problem or can they comment on it.
    Sometimes ours does the same thing. Also notice similar characteristic at times when the engine starts and the car is not moving.
  • clethroclethro Member Posts: 22
    My 05 does it too. Also, I rode in someone else's 05 and his did it too.
  • vfox1vfox1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Prius. It is considerably different from the 2003 one we have. One difference we've noted is with the cold engine light. Why does the cold engine light come on when the outside temperature is below 37 degrees and stay on after the car has warmed up. Was this light designed by the same person who thought we needed a beep to tell us we are backing up. At least we can turn that off.

vfox1
  • jdenenbergjdenenberg Member Posts: 6
    It's not a cold engine light. It is a (somewhat silly, I agree) warning that the road may be slippery due to ice/snow. It is described in your owner's manual.

JeffD
  • plaliberplaliber Member Posts: 2
    I recently had the recall service completed on my '05 Prius. Prior to recall, I consistently averaged 44-45 mpg. I'm now averaging 40-41 mpg. Has anyone else experience a drop in gas mileage after the recall?
  • kurta1kurta1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 Prius new. Have been please up to this point. I made it through the last Wisconsin winter without any problems. Not so this year. The first snow fall/sub 20 degree weather, I started the car and was driving. When I let off the gas their was a noticeable jerk (not the driver) to the car. A short time later the warning lights went on and only the electric motor would work. Restarted a few time to no avail. I let it sit over night (in the cold) and tried again the next day with the same problem. I got it towed to the dealer and they said the computer diagnosed a problem with the throttle body. They suggested cleaning (cheaper option) it up and going from there. I agreed and the problem seemed to be cured for about a week when I was driving in similar weather and the same thing occurred. I parked it in a heated garage and go it up and running (with all the warning lights still on) and drove it back to the dealer. They now suggest to replace the throttle body, since cleaning it didn't work. They checked with "Toyota" headquarters. They did an experiment with a bag of ice and came up with no other suggestions but to replace the throttle body. They have never had this happen before and found no similar situations. It worked Ok for that week, but the weather was better/warmer. Any suggestions?

This is a nice site, and I am feeling apathy with the people that have lost confidence in their Prius. I've been "lucky" that this problem has occurred close to someone's house. I fear the day it happens in a sub zero day in the middle of no where.

My suggestions on the gas mileage. I had my tires replaced and my mileage went way down. We did some investigating and noticed the original tires had a side wall rating of 50 psi compared to the suggested 35 psi. We put 50's back on and it's back to normal. (Ok but not great in the snow) Plus you have to use the cars strengths. Coast down hill (with your foot slightly on the gas so it doesn't go into regeneration mode), take alternative routes that have lesser speed limits than the interstate and use the heater/AC sparingly.

Sorry about the lengthy posting
    Thanks
  • tjfieldtjfield Member Posts: 1
    I've got a black, 2002 Prius with 30,000 miles on it. I'm thinking about getting a new car, possibly another Prius. But I've got a problem. The car has a bunch of dents and scratches that have rusted. I just went to a great body shop near my house fror an estimate. They told me it would cost 3800 dollars to fix everything. I can't decide whether to go ahead and do the work or forget it. Would love some advice. Fix? Or pass? Thanks. Jay
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    pass, will not add that much to selling price.
  • googsiegoogsie Member Posts: 1
    went on a 2 week vacation , needed a jump start whe n i returned, its 2 weeks later the battery is not turning again, i tried to jump start AND A LOUD NOISE from the horn came on for minutes until i took off the cables . any1 have any in put the panels are dark . no inkling of any energy anywhere. hoping 4 sage advice bob
  • mof1mof1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 05 Prius and when i am stopped with car running at a drive thru or one time leaving a concert in stop and go traffic my battery has gone down to only one bar left. Has anyone had this happen and what happens if your battery drains to no bars????
This discussion has been closed.