Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Solara

Comments

• Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Who has the more advanced technology? the new Accord Coupe or the new 2004 Solara?

It seems like Honda is taking the lead here . .

bigger engine, regular fuel, better mileage . ..

What do you think?
  • Options
    silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    i would have guessed advanced technology to be more along the lines of variable valve timing. more like, honda puts in a bigger engine that only requires regular leaded gas - nothing advanced there...

if you are saying honda is making a car built to please a bigger percentage of the masses, then i would agree... except that the current gen accord coupe looks awfully boring. i see a LOT more new Altimas & Camrys out my way than accords.

then again, i think mainstream cars in general are more and more vanilla...
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    While I am not prone to defend the new Accord ( I think they dropped the ball big time on the styling), but the engine is NOT bigger than before. It is still 3.0 liters, but puts out 240hp which is 40 more than the previous one. It gets better mileage and runs on regular. Now that's sounds like some pretty advanced engineering. Toyota, on the other hand, is putting in a bigger engine (up to 3.3 from 3.0L)with less 15 less hp than the Honda 3.0L. The Toyota has more torque though. I suspect its a very good engine too.
    I would, however, give up some of those improvements in the Honda if it just looked better.
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    I must agree that Honda's engine would be superior, as it is more economical, using lower grade less expensive gasoline. I saw my first 2 door Accord tonight, and did not think it was horrible. it's like a new Toyota. Ugly when it first comes out, then you get used to seeing them. The 4 door Accord is an ugly monster. Im happy to hear that Tooyta is increasing quality in the new Solara, making it truly more of a Lexus, than what everyone else said was Lexus quality. I just hope there are no Kentucky Whiskey bottles left in the panels, as they roll of the assembly line. Something tells me that labor is much cheaper in KY, than Ontario Canada. Both cars are produced for the masses, or rather the single, or empty nesters. The Accords are more geared towards the 20 somethings, upgrading from Civics. The new Solara is geared towards...who? I read that they improved the sloppy handling, but hope that they keep some of the better little luxuries, like the 8 speaker 200 watt stereo, vanity lights in the mirrors, etc. I also hope the paint quality is better, this time around, and that Toyota puts some plastic around the car to prevent door dings. Oh, yeah, a better coin box, and carpet that fits!
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Honda doesn't have that advanced keyless entry. I can't wait to see that on the new Solara and Prius.
  • Options
    Will the new Solara have an electronic trunk release? This is still a feature, or lack of a feature, I struggle with on my 00, when at the "upscale gym", when I put my gym bag in the truck.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....the way you got in that coinbox slam...best,ez
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    Does the Solara V6 take premium? That seems to be what everyone is suggesting. If so, that is a definate no-no for me. I drive 45,000 miles or so per year in my '00 Accord coupe and don't like paying for expensive, short lived V rated tires, let alone premium fuel. That would definately effect my buying decision.
    Also, what is ADVANCED KEYLESS ENTRY? Honda, I know, has all the keyless entry features built into the key now. Ford still has the best idea, both a keypad on the door and a remote key fob.
  • Options
    I think Toyota is referring to using a coat hanger to get inside your car if you have left the keys inside it ..
  • Options
    Toyota has a new keyfob gizmo that unlocks the car as you approach the vehicle with it. As you come within a certain distance, the car unlocks itself, sensing the fob. When you go away from the car, it locks. The Prius has a sensor or something on the rear hatch, so perhaps the Solara will have it for the trunk. Here are links to the picturse of the device and sensor for the Prius:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_photo.html?recn- um=004413

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_photo.html?recn- um=004409
  • Options
    solaryellowsolaryellow Member Posts: 10
    I'm not sure where all these comments about the 2004 Solara having SmartKey are coming from. Toyota has not released anything that says it will be on the new Solara. It will, in fact, only be offered on the 2004 Prius and Lexus LS 430.

Oceanus will be a green color, not blue. The color code starts with a 6, indicating green. Blue color codes start with an 8.

By the way, the Solara has had keyless remote trunk release since the 2002 model year.
  • Options
    I learned about the keyless entry prior to the debut of the new Prius. What reason does Toyota have to keep this new technology off an all new model? We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    ". I saw my first 2 door Accord tonight, and did not think it was horrible. it's like a new Toyota. Ugly when it first comes out, then you get used to seeing them. "

what kind of logic is this? an ugly car is an ugly car. do people have fond memories of the ugly AMC AMC cars of the 70's? no. i STILL jeer at any idiot dumb enough to drive their Aztek in public...
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I went to my dealership last week, and he told me that I had about 40% left on my brakes, and I should look into replacing them this fall. They then gave me a price quote for 4 new disc brakes, brake pads, and installation, and it came up to over $800 (CDN), plus taxes. This, to me, sounds like way too much. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    It's the way things are. I have a fond memory of the 1972 AMC Gremlin, lime green, FYI! Some styling trends are ugly or even silly when you first see them, but as you see more of it, it gets acceptable or starts to even look good. Look at tail-fins on cars of the 60's, or Ford's 1986 Taurus! EECH, When they first came out, but as they started to sell, they became standard. Look at the Toyota Avalon, circa 1998 ish! YIKES!!! That is probably one of the ugliest cars ever, and now the new Camrys, Corollas, etc. take their styling cues form it, and they look..."nice" and "normal", as they are everywhere. IMO, the only car company that puts out great looking cars is Chrysler, but the quality stinks, and they look dated in a few years. Didn't you laugh the first time you saw somone driving a yellow VW Bug, when the new design came out!?! Using an extreme, like the Aztek is not fair. You may as well compared it to that Cadillac CTS(?). YUK!

Brakes..what are they replacing for $800 bucks?
  • Options
    They're replacing the 4 discs, as well as the brake pads. This is the installed price, before taxes. I've since then called another Toyota dealership, which is outside the city, and they're charging me about $650 for the same job. This sounds more reasonable, but I'd still appreciate any feedback.
  • Options
    You have 40% left, so thats about 2 more years, no, before you must replace your brakes? It been a LOOOOONG time since I have kept a car long enough to replace all the brakes, but years ago, it was aroung $600 for calipers, and rotors, and pads, etc. Maybe you can trade up!
  • Options
    curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    My 2000 Solara has developed a sticking gas pedal. It sticks when I first want to accelerate, but it does not happen each and every time. Anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Not yet, but my brake pedal fell off this past winter. Joy, I hope I don't get the sticking accelerator pedal! Report it to NHTSA, or whatever they call it, or check their site for a TSB, cuz it might be a known problem.
  • Options
    The dealer told me I could wait until fall, because the rotors are rusting from inside. I keep my car garaged in the wintertime, and I guess they corrode quickly because of this.
  • Options
    sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    Do you have to have a dealer replace the brake discs and pads? If you do not feel uncomfortable, take it to an independent mechanic, buy the stuff yourself from any discount auto parts and pay him for the job. This is not a high tech job, many people do it themselves. If you do not know any independent mechanic, ask the auto parts salesman if he can recommend one. I own one 1994 Honda Accord DX, Auto, which has a little over 300,000 miles (not kilometers) and I have been replacing the brakes myself. It costs less than 100 US$ for front or rear. I had to replace the front pads four times and the rear only once so far. Also, most often the dealer wants to change the discs even though they are not thin enough to warrant change. You may ask what is the thickness of the disc and what is the limit. Since there is a lot left of the life of the disc pads, you have plenty of time to shop and decide.
  • Options
    I don't have to have a dealer replace them, it's just that I have my maintenance done at the dealer. Remember though that I need discs and pads, so that's why the price went up. I could get the rear ones machined, but why spend $100 on that when I'll have to replace them in 6 months anyway, right?
  • Options
    ... outside of an occasional chocolate croissant, but 19 out of the past 24 weekends, it has rained in the Philadelphia area. i love my Solara and would dearly enjoy washing the car myself. i swear if Philly gets rained out again this weekend, i'm gonna have to start going to church...

now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
  • Options
    sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    You are right about that. But you seem to be a value conscious person, which I am too. Check the prices yourself at a discount auto parts, and then you can decide. My guess is that you will save at least 50% of the cost by buying the stuff yourself and hiring someone to do it. Thatway, you save both on the dealer price for parts and labor. Let me know please if you find out the difference substantial. It has not happened to me, but many people I know (including my brother) was told by the dealer that the pads and discs need to be changed, and when he took it to an independent mechanic, he measured the thickness of the disc and found not reason to change it. A for the rust, I am not sure how bad it is or what is going on. But if you look at the disc of any car (they are easy to peek at, is not it?) you will see that there are some rusty deposits on the parts of the disc that is not touched by the pads, that is not a reason to worry. It does not get deeper for a long long time. Will appreciate your input and experience ...
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I'll let you know if I find anything!
  • Options
    dw28dw28 Member Posts: 5
    anybody had a cd changer problem with their solara? if so, would love to hear from u what u did (i.e how much to fix). thanks.
  • Options
    No CD complaints here! Actually one of the best enrty/mid level OEM car stereos I have had. Didn't seem to need an aftermarket upgrade.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    the only reason to replace the discs is if they are warped, which you can tell as the front end vibrates when you step on the brakes. I've had had this done on my two Camry which only have discs on the front wheels for less than $300.00 USD at the dealer. I wouldn't replace the discs if I were you.
                     : )
                     Mackabee
  • Options
    I haven't felt any vibrations from the brakes yet. The dealer wanted me to have them "cleaned" since this supposedly prevents rust from building up on the brake pads, therefore prolonging them.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    dw28dw28 Member Posts: 5
    I took my car to a local car stereo shop and had the cd changer problem looked at, the guy said it's the changer motor and it will take $160 (and almost two weeks) to have it fixed. Disheartened, I went home to look for a replacement on the net. It is then that I came upon a site that showed how the removal of the existing stereo is done, so I followed the instructions and opened it up, looked at the 'damaged' cd changer, nothing seemed to be out of place, moved the top cd a couple of turns, reinstalled the electricals and found that the motor was miraculously fixed!!
  • Options
    decondecon Member Posts: 56
    Yesterday, when I tried to start the car, I turned the key and something popped. Definitely seemed electrical. My CD player started flipping the changer.

I tried to jump start and nothing.

When I put the key to the first position, radio works, when I try to crank it, everything goes black. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks
  • Options
    Thats what the first 2000 Solara I sat in did, when I went to test drive cars, a few years ago, before I picked out my winner! Good luck!
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    sounds like (no pun intended) your battery, starter or alternator, in that order.
                        Mackabee

Rust on the brake pads? Sounds like they're trying to snow you. Brake pads don't collect rust as they are rubbing on the disc or drum everytime you use them. I'd be looking for another place to service the car.
                       Mackabee
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Add me to the two percent. Perhaps that makes us three percent. Still, I can't understand Toyota's logic. If the company believes there is no market for a stick shift, then why do they offer it, albeit, in a 4 cyl? Obviously, Toyota will sell every car that it builds. I don't see any leftover 2002 V6 5 speeds at any dealership. I applaud Honda and Acura for offering this engine/transmission combination in its line-up.
  • Options
    Maybe I didn't explain properly, but the service rep. told me that since I had rust on my discs, the brake pads would pick up this rust when I apply the brakes. This supposedly makes the pads wear prematurely, and if you don't have them cleaned, the brakes will start squealing when you brake.

Is this true, or have I bought the dealer's story?
  • Options
    Interesting, as when I had brake problems 15,000 miles ago I was told that disc/disc are mainteneance free, and therefore require no maintenance. I am again begining to get steering wheel vibration intermittantly, but not bad enough to bring to the dealer, as I know I will hear that they all do this, and have already had the rotors turned once. My discs have rust on them if I dont use the car for a few days, and sqeek until the rust wears off. Never been told to have disc/disc cleaned and my dealer likes to "maintain" everything when I go in.
  • Options
    scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Does the Solara have that cool "window down" feature on the key remote like Honda has?
  • Options
    What's that feature for? So that in a rain storm or in winter you can accidently roll your windows down, while arming the remote!?!
  • Options
    You're right, battery was COMPLETELY dead.
  • Options
    Webguyster, that's the first time I heard that. Why would disc/disc require no maintenance?

Decon, how old was your battery? Do you live in colder climates?
  • Options
    Battery was 3 years and 1 month old, 45K miles. I live near the Washington DC area.
  • Options
    What kind did you get?
  • Options
    Sorry, car is at 50K miles.

Replaced with Interstate Megatron MT-35.
  • Options
    My Mom's 1999 Corolla, which spends winters outside all the time, would need a new battery for the coming winter... Two weeks ago, I had put in a CD and cranked it up while working in the garden, and after 45 minutes, I had problems starting the car up. I thought I'd do a bit of research on this ahead of time.

Toyota offers a replacement battery with a 72-month warranty. I wonder if it's worth it.
  • Options
    go with Sears Die-Hard. Toyota doesn't make car batteries.

Tell them Mitch sent you.
  • Options
    I went through 3 Interstate Megatron's in one year! Get a Die-Hard. They rank like 2-3, but they are no hassle if they go! Sears, how America shops! My Avenger had one, too big for it, so they took out eh acid drip pan thingy, and this car NEVER, had dim lights with everything on, like my car now! Show Sears! Where America Shops!!!!
  • Options
    Wow 3 in 1 year!

I signed up for towing with my auto insurance. I'm covered this time :)

I will definitely get Die hard next time.
  • Options
    My 3 Interstate Megatron's were replaced by Toyota dealer, so my guess is Toyota has a deal with them. There are not too many manufacturers, most just relabeling there batteries, but Sears, and NTB, there subsidiary company, are in everyones neighborhood, and they don't ask questions, just replace it, fast! Count on it! Ask for Die-Hard!!!

Is anyone still using Zaino on their Solara's? Do you think it made a difference?

I was sitting on a park bench next to my Solara after a bike ride, when a lady came up and asked how I liked my Solara. I told her I liked it, mainly how it looked, but I had some quality problems in the first few years. She went on to tell me a list of things wrong with her 2001, that makes my car seem like a gem, to the point I almost just wanted her to go away! She had all my issues, and a bad charcoal can(??)! Hope Kentucky builds 'em Toyota tough!
  • Options
    solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    Hi there.
    Does anyone out there TORQUE their lug nuts when they mount their wheels on the Solara ?

My super-ace mechanic brother-in-law says that you SHOULD do this (to manufacturer's specs) so that you don't warp the rotors.
  • Options
    cooldude1755cooldude1755 Member Posts: 22
    You can warp the rotors and therefore should torque the lug nuts. The spec is 103 N-m or 1,050 kgf-cm or most commonly 76 ft-lbf.