Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Man, That's a Huge Trunk - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Acura
imageMan, That's a Huge Trunk - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Acura TLX plays pickup truck and hauls four wheel and tires easily.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I have two compact hatchbacks. They both will fit four tires - MODERN tires with 225-section width, rather than those skinny 60's tires - standing up side by side. I don't have to fold any seats down.

My wife's 2015 Corolla sedan will also fit four of the same size tires in its trunk, again without folding any seats down.

This mid-size TLX will fit three and that's really good? Huh?
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @longtimelurker,

The TLX is also available with AWD. Even though Edmunds' long termer is FWD, they use the same trunk dimensions whether the added bulk is present or not. For a car that also needs to accommodate the extra bulk of differentials, etc that trunk is pretty impressive. People always seem surprised that luxury cars have smaller trunks than FWD family sedans and compacts, but that's because they have driven rear wheels. Makes a massive difference.
  • Options
    fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18

@longtimelurker,

The TLX is also available with AWD. Even though Edmunds' long termer is FWD, they use the same trunk dimensions whether the added bulk is present or not. For a car that also needs to accommodate the extra bulk of differentials, etc that trunk is pretty impressive. People always seem surprised that luxury cars have smaller trunks than FWD family sedans and compacts, but that's because they have driven rear wheels. Makes a massive difference.

Our long-termer is AWD. Super Handling AWD in fact.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

@longtimelurker,

You have a point there...but in my cars the tires fit standing up entirely behind the rear-axle line - right up against the rear bulkhead of the car where the latch is. This is right over top of where the spare is stored...I don't think the absence or presence of a differential or rear half-shafts would impact the space I'm talking about.