-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Fuel Economy Update for February - Holding at 18 MPG - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Toyota
imageFuel Economy Update for February - Holding at 18 MPG - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

We've got another month under our belts for our 2016 Toyota Tacoma. We are still averaging just 18 mpg, however.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    My 2003 S-10 ZR2 (V6, real offroad package, comparable to this truck) used to get 14 mpg consistently with all city miles, 17 mpg combined. That was at the end of a very long product life, that drivetrain was like a decade old. So 13 years later, economy superstar Toyota can only beat it by 4 mpg? I don't think they are really trying. Same for the new Colorado/Canyon. These companies would be better off dropping their fullsize truck powertrains into these trucks. They would probably be getting 2 mpg better.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    I still haven't figured out how the mfrs keep struggling for some separation of midsize and full size truck mpg. I know because I drove around a 2010 Ridgeline for 70k miles averaging 16.3 mpg, then got a RAM 1500 Hemi and got 16.5 mpg (thanks ZF 8 speed). I hope the Gen II Ridgeline can break into the 20's combined. Right now I have a RAM EcoDiesel and average 22 mpg, so I'm spoiled but I don't think I'm asking for miracles from the midsizers...
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @csubowtie : That S-10 was significantly smaller than the current crop of "mid-size" trucks. Today's mid-size trucks are about comparable in size to a 20 year old Full-size (which is when the S-10 was designed as a "small" or "mini" truck). The fact that they are getting 18 MPG out of the 4x4 Toyota, based on size, isn't bad (not great, but not bad). Which leads into...

@g35bug : You've hit on something that I've been saying. The car companies aren't really making a "mid-size" truck. They're full-size trucks that just happen to be smaller than the current "full-size" trucks marketed. It's like a restaurant that offers three sizes of fountain drinks. You think of it as "small, medium, & large" but they market it as "medium, large, & extra large." It's just a label.

With today's technology, if they really wanted to, I believe they could come out with a decent small pickup, sized about like an early 2000s Ranger/S-10 that could hit 28 mpg combined. Furthermore, if they'd make the price reasonable, meaning economy car pricing for an economy light duty pickup, they'd re-open a market that wasn't abandoned by the consumer, but by the manufacturer.
  • Options
    dougnutsdougnuts Member Posts: 26
    csubowtie said:

My 2003 S-10 ZR2 (V6, real offroad package, comparable to this truck) used to get 14 mpg consistently with all city miles, 17 mpg combined. That was at the end of a very long product life, that drivetrain was like a decade old. So 13 years later, economy superstar Toyota can only beat it by 4 mpg? I don't think they are really trying. .

That's a 29% improvement over your old truck!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @dougnuts : The average fuel economy is only 1 mpg higher, which is a 5.88 percent increase over the S-10. Granted, there are some caveats here. 1) the Toyota can tow/haul a lot more than that old S-10, I'm sure. 2) the S-10 probably had a lot more miles to bring up the average. 3) He's probably ball-parking.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I know it's early, but at over 3,300 miles not that early, and this truck, with EPA estimates of 18/23/20 combined (same as the F150), is getting 18 mpg. With towing removed from the equation, the F150 got 17.2.

I realize there have not been any highway trips with this truck, however, with a 700-lb weight advantage and an absolute boatload down on power, right now the Tacoma is bettering the much-criticized F150 by 0.8 mpg.
  • Options
    craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2016
    Ford continues to sell the Ranger elsewhere in the world. Mazda also sells a truck that shares its platform with the Ranger, just as it used to in the USA. See: https://www.google.com/search?q=2016+ford+ranger&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVz_KH0sPLAhWCu4MKHdgJABEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=1075
  • Options
    @craigo7 : The foreign market Ranger is a larger pickup, a mid-size, than the Ranger we knew here in the US. In fact, I believe Ford has sort of indicated we might get it in 2017. However, even then, it goes back to being too large for a "small" truck. Plus, I think it's going to be a uni-body vehicle.