Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

CVT Transmission - Growling noise when reversing

mkarias72mkarias72 Posts: 29
edited March 2016 in Toyota
I looked at a used 2014 Corolla LE to purchase. When test driving it, I went in reverse on a long empty street. Not doing a slow reverse but a quick/fast reverse, the transmission made a weird growling sound and the car really hestitated to go in reverse. Could this mean the transmission is bad? I am having a mechanic look at it so I will know for sure. Not sure if this is because of the CVT transmission which is new to me. All my cars have the normal automatics.

Comments

• I just purchased a 16 Corolla S Premium a couple of days ago (less than 300 miles on it so far) and remembered reading your remarks. I did notice both a slight whine and a slight growling noise while backing in reverse. Didn't sound abnormal but than again I'm never had a CVT either. I'm thinking it's the nature of the beast but will check with the service writer at my 1,000 mile checkup!