Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

5 Favorite Things After 237.7 Miles - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Toyota
image5 Favorite Things After 237.7 Miles - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Five favorite things after driving our 2016 Toyota Mirai test car.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    6) It has a face like a dropped pie.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Does it have to be so ugly? What has Toyota said about the styling influences?
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    That wins my award for the ugliest new car. Bravo. Now let me go lose my breakfast...
  • Options
    willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    I'm not surprised its looks didn't make the top five.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Definitely annoying how auto makers are intentionally making these cars unappealing (just like the funky i3). I don't know if its because they tell their designers to go hog-wild or if they want something so different that it doesn't risk cannibalizing their bigger profit models. I still would bet that the i3 would sell like hot cakes if it looked like a 3 series.

Still, looking forward to hearing about any mechanical issues. I wonder how much it shares from traditional ICE vehicle.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Where has the world gone when we're comparing 0-60 drag performance between a Mirai and a Prius...now I know why kids don't cruise the strips any longer...the Americana passion for driving is gone; thanks Toyota (I guess revenge is bittersweet).
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Man, I came back to this page almost accidentally and saw the picture of that horribly disfigured vehicle. It reminds me of a bastardized version of some crappy Subaru or Isuzu or something from the 80's. Blech.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    thepuff said:

Where has the world gone when we're comparing 0-60 drag performance between a Mirai and a Prius...now I know why kids don't cruise the strips any longer...the Americana passion for driving is gone; thanks Toyota (I guess revenge is bittersweet).

I didn't read Scott's line as comparing drag-strip performance of two slow cars. I read it as saying that despite unimpressive 0-60 times the Mirai is a) quick to accelerate to city street speeds and b) beats the Prius doing so. Thus it's suitable for performance conscious drivers who don't want to be reminded they're in an eco car every single time the light turns green.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    thepuff said:

Because that is the apples to apples comparison in terms of the market.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    For those defending this "rotten apple" thanks for reinforcing my comment. My major point was most of these long-term reviews are in regards to MPG, bicycles fitting, child seats fitting, and the functionality of one's smartphone with the navigation. Rarely do we see a car "driven" for fun which is the reason cars like this and most Toyotas exist....practical transportation. Remember, this is under the "what's hot" category, not "what's practical or vanilla." In the last few decades, since when is 8.6 seconds "quick."
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @thepuff,

Um, 8.6 seconds from 0-60 was still considered mighty quick into the early 1990's. Even until the late 1990's it was still considered above average. We have just gone acceleration crazy in recent years and it has warped our perceptions. In truth, anything doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds is way faster than the normal driver will ever use. A car can be an absolute blast to drive and be slow 0-60 anyway. Slalom performance means far more for driving pleasure than acceleration times.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If I was driving in SoCal every day, I'd be more interested in the 35ish to 60+ performance for all the freeway mergers.

Hm, then again, merging in all that 5mph traffic could be done on one cylinder.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, fun driving. Maybe if you head out Mulholland.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Haha, this car would probably outrace my 4Runner 0-60, so I think I could live with driving it, especially if it doesn't ride poorly.
    And as far as the "passion for driving" comment, I disagree strongly. There are plenty of performance cars for sale in the US - from little japanese two seater convertibles to german/italian supermachines, pony cars and freaking grand cherokee srt's. Pick any car and you'll probably find an enthusiast forum on the internet that covers any kind of performance or customization project imaginable for that model. The "americana passion for driving" is not dead at all, it's just more diverse now. Cars like the Mirai are not challenging that concept, they're just an alternative. The Mirai's price point and fuel source drive home that point.
  • Options
    uncanny_manuncanny_man Member Posts: 11
    It looks like jeremy clarkson when he drives a car without windshield; jowls blowing in the wind and everything. That's one way to convey speed I suppose.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

It looks like jeremy clarkson when he drives a car without windshield; jowls blowing in the wind and everything. That's one way to convey speed I suppose.

Great - can't unsee that now. Thanks!
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    LOL, it's tough to say the words "fit and finish" when the design looks like the hood isn't closed all the way. Looks like a huge gap!
  • Options
    henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    Why do cars with "futuristic" technology have to look like it came from some fugly future where cars look like crap? Acura and Toyota should get together and design the worlds ugliest car of the future with a horrible beak nose and predator jowls and 8 eyes per side...but it gets 50 mpg!
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97

Man, I came back to this page almost accidentally and saw the picture of that horribly disfigured vehicle. It reminds me of a bastardized version of some crappy Subaru or Isuzu or something from the 80's. Blech.

I thought the Mirai was in an accident!
  • Options
    moparfoolmoparfool Member Posts: 8
    First time I've seen this car - like some others, I thought it had some problem with the hood getting popped up and dislocated. .

Hydrogen? How expensive? Takes a lot of electricity to generate hydrogen, or is it derived from natural gas? This thing makes the Hindenburg look sleek and sexy. Oh! The horror! Well - time to read the latest about flying cars in Popular Mechanics.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@thepuff,

Um, 8.6 seconds from 0-60 was still considered mighty quick into the early 1990's. Even until the late 1990's it was still considered above average. We have just gone acceleration crazy in recent years and it has warped our perceptions. In truth, anything doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds is way faster than the normal driver will ever use. A car can be an absolute blast to drive and be slow 0-60 anyway. Slalom performance means far more for driving pleasure than acceleration times.

My Club Sport(which barely makes it to 60 in under 8 seconds- thanks to a Conforti chip) made me a much better driver at track events. Horsepower can cover up a multitude of driving sins but with the Club Sport if you screw up one corner of braking zone you pay for it the entire lap. That said, I had to retire it from track duty as I was getting carpal tunnel from giving the other instructors point-bys lap after lap. Still, it's a tremendous amount of fun to drive on a winding two lane, even if it has less than 50% of the hp of my new track rat...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive