Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2002 Pathfinder Squealing

jandrews2012jandrews2012 Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in Nissan
Hi all, I have an '02 Pathfinder that has been making some strange noises lately. When I start it, it makes a very loud squealing sound and the headlights and interior lights dim a little. It usually stops making sound once the car is warmed up a bit (or if it's warm outside), but it's really loud. I had an AC belt replaced on it about a year ago, so I wonder if maybe the alternator is starting to fail?

In short: loud squealing and slight loss of electrical power when starting up, accelerating up to 30 mph.

Any insight would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,202
    The alternator belt would be a good place to start, the dimming makes me think so. I get a lot of belt noise on my car when it's a cold rainy morning until (I assume) the belt had dried/warmed up. So the sound stopping when it does makes sense that it's the belt as well.

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• I would say the belt too, I just changed mine for the same issues