Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Headlight Restoration - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Mazda
Headlight Restoration - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Restoring the headlights on the long-term 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Read the full story here

Comments

• miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Now that the protective finish has been rubbed off don't expect them to stay clear for as long as they would have otherwise. Once you start doing these "restorers" you have to keep doing them as the cloud over quicker and quicker.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Looks great. I'd say that miata52 is likely right (although I have no experience with it), BUT anything is better than $954. That's new-convertible-top money.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2016
    How long did this lens cleaning last on Riswik's Z3? Was that car garaged during the day/night?
    It's a sad thing to see this happen on a brand new car :( specially on the new Miata...
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Do yourselves a favor - spend another $60 and get some Lamin-X headlight covers. Now that the hardened finish has been taken off, these will cloud up fast and will never be the same. Get the covers and apply them correctly (not that hard...) and they will stay clear forever.

Really, any car you care about that is driven in the desert southwest should have these from the time they're new.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    i just did headlight restoration to my wife's '08 Mazda3 and used the Sylvania kit, which did include a sealant at the end. Curious to see how long it lasts and definitely looking at Lamin-X now. Thanks longtimelurker!
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Lamin-X seems like a good way to go. I've been trying to find something that will cover the front of my hood once I fix the little chips. I can't do anything about my headlights, as there are 3 little glass protrusions that were apparently used to externally aim the lights for the US market. Luckily they're in great shape still, so hopefully I don't run into a sandstorm.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    miata52 said:

Now that the protective finish has been rubbed off don't expect them to stay clear for as long as they would have otherwise. Once you start doing these "restorers" you have to keep doing them as the cloud over quicker and quicker.

True, but I would suggest the "protective finish" was blasted off in the sandstorm, so we don't stand to lose much by trying this route.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    This is true...
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

miata52 said:

True, but I would suggest the "protective finish" was blasted off in the sandstorm, so we don't stand to lose much by trying this route.
    Absolutely true - your hand was forced. But leverage the for-now clarity and get the Lamin-X.