Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

A Buyer's Timeline - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Tesla
A Buyer's Timeline - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

The long (really long) road to buying our 2016 Tesla Model X.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I hope Model 3 reservation depositors read this timeline. You are looking at 2 year wait, BUT you can follow elon on twitter now!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thanks for how the process worked, I (and I'm sure many others) were curious how the process worked for you guys and whether you get preferential treatment because of your blog. Pretty insane to put down $40k and have to wait a couple of years, but its certainly a special car. I wonder if you guys will have some of the problems with the falcon doors that others have had.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Is there some new rule that every exterior photo of this car has to have the rear doors open?
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    And you didn't mind providing Tesla with an interest-free, 26 month, $40,000 loan? You'd think that most people who've accumulated enough wealth to afford a $100,000+ car would be smarter than that.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Do they know you're Edmunds or some regular Joe (who can plop down 40 large on the hope of a car)?
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    throwback said:

I hope Model 3 reservation depositors read this timeline. You are looking at 2 year wait, BUT you can follow elon on twitter now!

I'd be surprised if the wait for Model 3 was only two years. People who stood in line to leave a deposit for a Model 3 make people who stand in line for an iPhone look sane.

No thanks. I'll take a Chevrolet Bolt, this year.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    cjasis said:

And you didn't mind providing Tesla with an interest-free, 26 month, $40,000 loan? You'd think that most people who've accumulated enough wealth to afford a $100,000+ car would be smarter than that.

Most people that can afford a $100k vehicle with limited utility (Supercharger network not withstanding, Teslas still have limitations that don't exist on ICE vehicles) have over $40k in cash cash accounts earning essentially 0% interest right now. So using it to reserve their place in line for the Model X had no real opportunity cost for them.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161

Is there some new rule that every exterior photo of this car has to have the rear doors open?

It's not a rule - the doors have probably broken
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 528
    edited April 2016
    I just don't get it. It's difficult to produce a new viable and reliable vehicle in a few years by a new company with no experience in the market. We all know that companies in existence for many decades still often do not get it right

Tesla delivered 55,000 vehicles in 2015. They have orders for 400,000 Model 3's. They collected nearly a half billion dollars in deposits. With an operating loss of $150 million last year, that wlill take care of 3 years of operation but what happens after that when they try to deliver 8X the number of vehicles they currently produce...and at a much lower price?

I predict a not so great future for the nitwits that dropped $1000 deposits, the vehicle owners, the investors and Tesla itself, especially with oil barrel prices in the $35-45 range.
  • cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    You guys need to do a walk around with photos to show if your car has any of the reported manufacturing defects.
  • keefwivanefkeefwivanef Member Posts: 10
    5vzfe said:

It's not a rule - the doors have probably broken
    It seems to be a rule that every photograph of a model S has a wheel missing.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136377865@N05/sets/72157658490111523/
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    "Most people that can afford a $100k vehicle with limited utility (Supercharger network not withstanding, Teslas still have limitations that don't exist on ICE vehicles) have over $40k in cash cash accounts earning essentially 0% interest right now. So using it to reserve their place in line for the Model X had no real opportunity cost for them. "

Respectfully disagree. A 26-month, interest free loan ALWAYS has opportunity cost. The fact that deposit rates are pitiful right now is largely irrelevant.
  • eco_busteco_bust Member Posts: 1

throwback said:

I'd be surprised if the wait for Model 3 was only two years. People who stood in line to leave a deposit for a Model 3 make people who stand in line for an iPhone look sane.

If it comes down to waiting 2 years, or driving a hideous overpriced hatchback like the bolt, I don't blame them one bit for waiting in line to pay a deposit for the MIII.
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    eco_bust said:

throwback said:

If it comes down to waiting 2 years, or driving a hideous overpriced hatchback like the bolt, I don't blame them one bit for waiting in line to pay a deposit for the MIII.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.