Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Student on a tight budget, new paint job needed though? Home job or go to a shop?

ethanofcarrsethanofcarrs Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in General
I'm a student on a REALLY tight budget, but my car desperately needs a new paint job. The paint is chipped in a hundred or so places and faded all over the hood and back. By the condition of the current paint job, I'm assuming that bringing it to a shop would be a large cost. Because of my current financial situation and inability to pay a large premium for a new paint-job. Recently, I have stumbled on the "$50 Rustoleum Paint Job" which is basically home paint mixed with acetone and then sprayed or rolled onto a sanded and primed car, then have the possibility to add a clear coat. What would you guys suggest for a guy on a budget?

Don't need it show car quality, just need it to not look awful.

Answers

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited April 2016
    Heh, I've looked at the YouTubes over the years and some of the rattle can paint jobs look pretty good, at least from a distance. Seems like the biggest issue (besides the prep) is having a "clean room" to work in, like a Visqueen spray booth in a garage.

Another thing to check out are the plasti-dips.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 5,089
    Sounds like another rat rod in the making.