Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Good Seats, Not Great Seats - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Tesla
Good Seats, Not Great Seats - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Great seats are one of the things that makes high-dollar luxury cars feel a cut above the rest. The front seats in our Tesla Model X are good, but not great.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Would these seats be passable in the $80k base version of the Model X?
  • Options
    handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    Cue the fanboys telling you that Elon Musk knows what better for your posterior than you do.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I am definitely a supporter of Tesla after owning a Model S for so long, but I can say unequivocally that they are over-priced by $20k-$30k. The Model S and X have interiors more competitive with mid-level luxury offerings like an A6/5er/E than they do with triple-digit flagships like the A8 or S. I would even go so far as to say that the new C-Class has a better interior than my Model S. Even the way the cars ride isn't up to par with similarly priced flagships. With Tesla you are paying for the gee-whiz powertrain. As long as people know that going in the ownership experience will be wonderful.
  • Options
    slyons89slyons89 Member Posts: 11
    The sport package seats in my 2012 128i put these seats to shame, at an MSRP of about $ 35k. Thigh adjustments, adjustable side bolsters, plus about 6 other adjustments, heated, with fine leather, and memory settings for different drivers. $35k car vs $80k-$145k car. Tesla needs to step up their interior game. The giant iPad-ish screen on the dash won't hold people over forever in the future without a top notch interior trim to back it up.
  • Options
    stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    A friend / co-worker of mine had a deposit down on a Model S a few years ago. He took me to the showroom to have me sit in the car, which was a P85. The first thing I noticed was how poor the seats were. Absolutely no side-bolstering whatsoever, and this was on the "Performance" trim. I pointed it out to him and told him that I hope his stories about its acceleration were enough, 'cause no whiz-bang suspension is worthwhile when you're gripping the steering wheel to keep from being flung about.

He later cancelled the order. Instead he continued to build up his Wrangler Unlimited and his wife got a Dodge Challenger SRT8. Win - Win.
  • Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2016

A friend / co-worker of mine had a deposit down on a Model S a few years ago. He took me to the showroom to have me sit in the car, which was a P85. The first thing I noticed was how poor the seats were. Absolutely no side-bolstering whatsoever, and this was on the "Performance" trim. I pointed it out to him and told him that I hope his stories about its acceleration were enough, 'cause no whiz-bang suspension is worthwhile when you're gripping the steering wheel to keep from being flung about.

He later cancelled the order. Instead he continued to build up his Wrangler Unlimited and his wife got a Dodge Challenger SRT8. Win - Win.

I wouldn't call owning two Chrysler products a win, ever. Wrangler's are everywhere and putting money into them is a pit. Challenger is dated.