Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Charge Time Surprise and the Importance of Power - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Chevrolet
Charge Time Surprise and the Importance of Power - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

I was surprised to find that it takes almost five hours to fully charge the 2016 Chevrolet Volt. A fairly slow onboard charger limits the amount of current it pulls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Is the internal charger upgradeable?
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2016

Is the internal charger upgradeable?

There's no available upgrade for the internal charger, and none planned for the 2017 model, either.
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • schild1987schild1987 Member Posts: 4
    That's the biggest gripe I have with my Spark EV. I don't think it would have cost a lot for Chevrolet to up the charger to 6.6, and then they could have used that tech in the Volt as well. I assume the Bolt will have at least 6.6 kW... maybe then they will put it in the Volt also.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    So you have the optional 240v charging station? Or was the Volt not completely discharged? The 110v system is supposed to achieve a full charge in 10 to 16 hours depending on the amperage setting and ambient temperature. The 240v system should take about four hours.
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38

So you have the optional 240v charging station? Or was the Volt not completely discharged? The 110v system is supposed to achieve a full charge in 10 to 16 hours depending on the amperage setting and ambient temperature. The 240v system should take about four hours.

The Volt was discharged at the time I plugged it in to our Chargepoint wall unit (which delivers a little less than 240v because it is a commercial station).
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR