Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Seat Upholstery and Padding Coming Away - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Kia
Seat Upholstery and Padding Coming Away - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

The seat upholstery in Edmunds.com's 2016 Kia Optima is coming free from both front seats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Curious to see how this is handled when the car goes in for service. Seems like the kind of thing will get worse rather than better after a mechanic fiddles around with it for a while.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    If it was my personal car, I wouldn't trust that this can be "fixed." I'd request a whole new seat be installed.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    schen72 said:

If it was my personal car, I wouldn't trust that this can be "fixed." I'd request a whole new seat be installed.

Really? A whole new seat? The fabric doesn't appear to be torn or frayed. There is no reason at all to think that it cannot be reattached properly. I think demanding a several hundred dollar new seat because fabric came loose at the bottom cushion would be an unreasonable demand.
  • Options
    bobinsepabobinsepa Member Posts: 12
    You had a similar problem with the 2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo that you had for a long term test.
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/optima/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-kia-optima-sx-turbo-seat-issue.html
    That one occurred after only 3,200 miles and was replaced under warranty.
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/optima/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-kia-optima-sx-turbo-oh-yea-the-seat-is-fixed-too.html
    Must be a Kia thing.
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    this is sub-optima-l
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Well, it is a Kia. Kind of what you'd expect.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

schen72 said:

Really? A whole new seat? The fabric doesn't appear to be torn or frayed. There is no reason at all to think that it cannot be reattached properly. I think demanding a several hundred dollar new seat because fabric came loose at the bottom cushion would be an unreasonable demand.
    Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but then I've only owned reliable cars, so whenever something does break on my cars, I get upset. If the dealer wouldn't accommodate me, I'd definitely make sure they noted in their file that I was unhappy so that 3-4 years later if it screws up again, I have some ammo to argue for a new seat.