Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Happiness is a Hands-Free Trunk - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Kia
Happiness is a Hands-Free Trunk - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Kia Optima offers a nifty feature that unlocks the trunk for you simply by walking up to it with the key in your pocket.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Can you do a video of the trunk release? It sounds annoying, like the trunk would open often when unwanted. I'm curious about how sensitive the system is.
  • Options
    charltoncharlton Member Posts: 21
    ebeaudoin said:

Can you do a video of the trunk release? It sounds annoying, like the trunk would open often when unwanted. I'm curious about how sensitive the system is.

There's a 3-sec delay. The feature is nifty, but I've seen quite a bit of variance in how far the lid opens whenever I've tried to use the feature. By design it doesn't open all the way, though. I'm thinking of trying a hack I found on Hyundai forums where adding springs with right tension causes the lid to open up completely.

-BC
  • Options
    Does this tech package come with auto-tilting mirror(s) when car's put in reverse? I swear I saw it when I test drove one (because it malfunctioned... it didn't return to original position when I put the car in drive!), but my car doesn't have it. Granted mine is from an older lot when Kia was asking a $200 premium for white paint; now it's $300. So the one I test drove may be from the newer lot.

-BC
  • Options
    Checked Kia website just now. The premium for white paint is now $395! That color must be way popular.

-BC
  • Options
    gtalum99gtalum99 Member Posts: 7
    charlton said:

Does this tech package come with auto-tilting mirror(s) when car's put in reverse? I swear I saw it when I test drove one (because it malfunctioned... it didn't return to original position when I put the car in drive!), but my car doesn't have it. Granted mine is from an older lot when Kia was asking a $200 premium for white paint; now it's $300. So the one I test drove may be from the newer lot.

-BC

Yes, it has the auto-tilting mirrors on reversing. They can also be set to fold in whenever you lock the car, or they can be folded in on demand (like at the car wash).
  • Options
    gtalum99gtalum99 Member Posts: 7
    ebeaudoin said:

It beeps three or four times (I can't remember) and then there is still a short delay before it pops open. You have plenty of time to step away if the beeping starts.
  • Options
    gtalum99 said:

charlton said:

-BC

Yes, it has the auto-tilting mirrors on reversing. They can also be set to fold in whenever you lock the car, or they can be folded in on demand (like at the car wash).
    Found out how it works. You've to have move the L-R switch to either side to activate the tilting. But that means if you accidentally touch the dial your mirror will move. That switch is overloaded :-|

-BC