Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happiness is a Hands-Free Trunk - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,127
edited May 2016 in Kia
image
Happiness is a Hands-Free Trunk - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Kia Optima offers a nifty feature that unlocks the trunk for you simply by walking up to it with the key in your pocket.

Read the full story here


Comments

  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin NE IllinoisPosts: 509
    Can you do a video of the trunk release? It sounds annoying, like the trunk would open often when unwanted. I'm curious about how sensitive the system is.
  • charltoncharlton Posts: 21
    ebeaudoin said:

    Can you do a video of the trunk release? It sounds annoying, like the trunk would open often when unwanted. I'm curious about how sensitive the system is.

    There's a 3-sec delay. The feature is nifty, but I've seen quite a bit of variance in how far the lid opens whenever I've tried to use the feature. By design it doesn't open all the way, though. I'm thinking of trying a hack I found on Hyundai forums where adding springs with right tension causes the lid to open up completely.

    -BC
  • charltoncharlton Posts: 21
    Does this tech package come with auto-tilting mirror(s) when car's put in reverse? I swear I saw it when I test drove one (because it malfunctioned... it didn't return to original position when I put the car in drive!), but my car doesn't have it. Granted mine is from an older lot when Kia was asking a $200 premium for white paint; now it's $300. So the one I test drove may be from the newer lot.

    -BC
  • charltoncharlton Posts: 21
    Checked Kia website just now. The premium for white paint is now $395! That color must be way popular.

    -BC
  • gtalum99gtalum99 Bradenton, FLPosts: 7
    charlton said:

    Does this tech package come with auto-tilting mirror(s) when car's put in reverse? I swear I saw it when I test drove one (because it malfunctioned... it didn't return to original position when I put the car in drive!), but my car doesn't have it. Granted mine is from an older lot when Kia was asking a $200 premium for white paint; now it's $300. So the one I test drove may be from the newer lot.

    -BC

    Yes, it has the auto-tilting mirrors on reversing. They can also be set to fold in whenever you lock the car, or they can be folded in on demand (like at the car wash).
  • gtalum99gtalum99 Bradenton, FLPosts: 7
    ebeaudoin said:

    Can you do a video of the trunk release? It sounds annoying, like the trunk would open often when unwanted. I'm curious about how sensitive the system is.

    It beeps three or four times (I can't remember) and then there is still a short delay before it pops open. You have plenty of time to step away if the beeping starts.
  • charltoncharlton Posts: 21
    gtalum99 said:

    charlton said:

    Does this tech package come with auto-tilting mirror(s) when car's put in reverse? I swear I saw it when I test drove one (because it malfunctioned... it didn't return to original position when I put the car in drive!), but my car doesn't have it. Granted mine is from an older lot when Kia was asking a $200 premium for white paint; now it's $300. So the one I test drove may be from the newer lot.

    -BC

    Yes, it has the auto-tilting mirrors on reversing. They can also be set to fold in whenever you lock the car, or they can be folded in on demand (like at the car wash).
    Found out how it works. You've to have move the L-R switch to either side to activate the tilting. But that means if you accidentally touch the dial your mirror will move. That switch is overloaded :-|

    -BC
Sign In or Register to comment.