Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    From what I can see, an oil change at my local Subaru dealer costs me $30 w/o loaner car. My friend's Lexus, on the other hand, has free loaner cars but it cost him $150 for an oil change. My math as follows: $30 oil change + $30 Enterprise Rental = $60. I still get $90 in my pocket compared to my friend. No thanks. I'll keep my money and take my own rental.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    too bad you don't have a ford; $30 oil change, shuttle to drop you off and pick you up. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mayberryguymayberryguy Member Posts: 145
    From what I can see, an oil change at my local Subaru dealer costs me $30 w/o loaner car. My friend's Lexus, on the other hand, has free loaner cars but it cost him $150 for an oil change.

BMW= free maintenance for 4 years/50k miles. Cost to me 0 dollars. If Subaru has real plan of moving higher in the premium market, then they should follow suit. They could at least try this out on the Tribecas and see what the reaction is from there.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    My dealer's loaners are occasionally Foresters and usually Outbacks and Legacys. One recent drive I was fortunate to get an '05 Outback Limited... very nice. I loved the giant moonroof, matte wood trim and pale "stone"-colored leather... that combo feels so airy. I typically keep my loaners for about 24hrs, so it's worthwhile to have another nice car to run around in. I'm still waiting for an XT or GT loaner. :)
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    $150??? With that you should be getting dinner for 4 at a local steakhouse. Or lunch for 20 at McDonald's :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    who can't figure out how to slide the middle row seat all the way back.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/12/subaru-crossover-luxurycars-cx_mf_0815test_ls.html

Bob, I read this one last night, too, and just shook my head in disgust....DOH!

Maybe we should post the 2nd row seat directions in the Problems & Solutions Forum for owner's-manual-challenged reviewers...

-Karen-
  • Options
    Yes I got free loaners, but you never get a top line model as the loaner.

I'd be happy these days if they just gave me anything with a full gas tank :D

-Karen-
  • Options
    On a more serious note, I paid $2.71 for premium yesterday, but it's higher in other parts of Phx. Current range seems to be around $2.69 - $2.75 for the past couple of days. :cry:

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    An X5 comparable to a B9 will cost 6 to 8K more.

That's very expensive free maintenance .
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    well Chrysler is trying it out with the Pacificas. When I got mine they had a special extended warranty with loaner car they gave free with each car because they really didnt have anything setup. plus they gave you a loaner for ANY service while under the first 3 yr or 36k miles! even oil changes (which by the way were like $25).

they did give me a rental car and later the dealership had their own fleet of american loaner cars. the big thing is I usually drop my car off in the AM and go to work then at the end of the day stop off and pick up my car. a loaner car is VERY important so I dont have to bum a ride ect.

and no not all Subbie dealers seem to offer loaner cars. mine only bundled a free oil change with the purchase. but they did say they would cover me for loaner on install of the accessories.

this announcement from Subaru that they will "officially" have a loaner car service is great news. it puts them on par with the other upscale makers. its nice to know if I am out of town and need service that ANY Subaru dealer will give me a loaner.
  • Options
    just found out that the dvd remote DOESN'T work if the screen is closed! so if I am watching the dvd on the NAV screen, I have to have the DVD screen open to work the menus! duh how stupid! or sometimes I LISTEN to DVD concerts while driving so dont need to have the screen open. would be nice to be able to start/stop or rewind when I pull over or am stuck at a traffic light to be able see the video on my NAV screen and control it without having to open the back dvd screen.
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    BMW= free maintenance for 4 years/50k miles. Cost to me 0 dollars.

Free? I don't think so.. In 50,000 miles what are you really getting? 10 oil changes? At BMW's price of about $150.00 per oil change that is essentilly $1,500 worth of "free" maintance. Throw in a 30,000 mile service for even $1,000 and you still are only getting $2,500 of "free" service. Now factor in how much of a premium you paid for the vehicle.... Not sure how free it is. Might it be factored into the price? :)
  • Options
    Shuttle services are included for any type of services in my dealer.
  • Options
    Exactly! Nothing is free in this world. You'd have to pay one way or another. If Subaru is going to offer 'free' loaner service by jacking up the prices on cars or services, it will only alienate itself even more from its royal fans. Remember those who usually buy BMWs are not likely to even think of Subarus, free loaner or not.
  • Options
    onestaronestar Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone else gotten "Free Tires for Life" on the purchase of a new Subaru? The dealership where I got my B9 offers free tires for life when you buy from them. Or is this a Subaru thing?
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Karen, I'm getting the distinct feeling here that Subaru may have a problem here, as so many people (reviewers!) seem not to be aware of the 2-stage feature of the sliding middle row seat. I think SOA needs to make a better effort of informing anybody who tests these vehicles. It could be nothing more than a sheet of paper taped to the middle-row seat (or to the back of the front seat headrest) with instructions on how to slide the seat.

Bob
  • Options
    Virtually any program a factory provides is never free. It is always a component of the final cost and is usually not worth the price.

Even a free loaner car is figured into the dealerships overhead and affects their pricing minimally at least. The loaner is probably the only perk that is not a negative financially, along with free coffee & snacks.

BMW's free maintenance programs - are not free - it is part of the price you paid. In addition BMW & other brands that do this are thinking about themselves not the buyer. With a large % of their cars being leased - a free maintenance program greatly increases the likelihood of getting better maintained vehicles which equals more valuable vehicles back at lease end.

A very smart move on the factory's part - but not free.

Extended warranties are another financial deception. If you can not afford say more than $500 or $1000 in emergency repairs maybe an extended warranty is for you especially if you plan to a 100K or more on the car.

However, never forget that SOA or any factory is not looking out for your bottom line but their own. There is nothing wrong with that; that is capitalism. Extended warranties would not exist if they were good for the consumer - what company in their right mind would continue to sell a product or service that they know will cause them to lose money it.

It has always amazed me how an otherwise smart, savvy sophisticated person can become a naive and gullible consumer the moment they enter an auto dealer’s show room. They happily pay sinfully high prices for worthless add-ons like: fabric protection, paint sealants, and rust proofing (my personal favorite) on a car that comes from the factory with a very good rust warranty.

I have a friend that is in a 12 step program for substance abuse and they have this saying or rather riddle:

Q: How do you know when an addict is lying?

A: When their lips are moving.

Remember this the next time you are with an auto sales person (yes, yes - I know - there are some that are truthful) assume everything they say is false and check it out before you sign on the dotted line.

If there is one of those skinny add-on invoices next to the factory invoice, everything on it is usually BS & pure profit for the dealer. There are exceptions. For example, if it lists an extra that you can see and touch it maybe okay: i.e. pin stripes, a hitch, or roof rack etc.

I often suspected that auto show rooms have emitters that flood the area with electronic impulses that turn off the smart cells in the brains of otherwise very intelligent customers.

Just in case, wrap your head in tin foil or wear a lead lined helmet – just in case:)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Karen, I'm getting the distinct feeling here that Subaru may have a problem here, as so many people (reviewers!) seem not to be aware of the 2-stage feature of the sliding middle row seat.

I was just about to say the same thing. The second stage probably isn't intuitive - when you hit the stop, you presume that's the end of the travel.

I'm sure the reviewer doesn't read manuals unless they absolutely have to.
  • Options
    Yeah, that really does appear to be the case. Subaru should include in all "press-pool" vehicles a "quick-study" sheet of some sort, that points out this feature, and any other features that for one reason or another, aren't being covered properly by the automotive press.

One of those "other" items being the fact that the Tribeca can run on regular grade fuel, if need be.

Bob
  • Options
    I think most reviewers' concern of 2nd row leg room is valid. After all, what SOA offers for them to review is a 7-seater that suppose to use all three rows. When all three rows are up, 2nd row has less leg room than Legacy or Outback, IMO! If you want to use second stage of the sliding to demostrate great leg rooms in 2nd row, why don't SOA just give them a 5-seater Tribeca instead where you can slide all the way back easily?
  • Options
    That's not a good answer. Give the the reviewers a 5-passenger, when they're promoting 7-passenger cabability? No, I don't think so...

Besides, I bet most buyers will be using it as a 5-passenger vehicle, and only using the 7-passenger capability on those rare occasions. Anybody shopping the Tribeca as a full-time 7-passenger vehicle is making a huge mistake. If they can't figure that out by themselves, and then have buyer's remorse, well... they deserve it.

Bob
  • Options
    mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    Did you buy it in NJ by any chance?
  • Options
    Give the the reviewers a 5-passenger, when they're promoting 7-passenger cabability? No, I don't think so...

That's my point. Why would you want to promote 7-passenger capability but don't want reviewers to review the vehicle with all 3 rows up?

No, I'm not talking about full-time 7-passenger use. I mean in its intended 7-passenger usage, 2nd row leg room is rather limited. Not that I'm unpappy with it. If the car is any longer, I will have a tough time park in my garage.
  • Options
    My B9 had a tag (actually 2 tags) with string tied to each rear seat headrest. it showed how you can move the seat back within two ranges. the BLACK arrow range required you to move the orange level. it was all shown in the picture :) on the tag.
  • Options
    How about taking the time and trouble to have a rep walk the reviewer through the features - especially those that are likely to be mis-reported.

Hell, read our posts.

As owners look at all the things we get wrong or do not understand.

I would blame SOA marketing people not necessarily the reviewer - unless the reviewer is just slamming the car for no good reason.
  • Options
    Press pool cars don't come directly through SOA, but rather a 3rd party that's in that kind of business. That's how it was with the one juice and I had. Somebody from that company drops the vehicle off along with the keys, you sign some papers, and off they go. They don't go over anything.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob

That's what I was talking about.

SOA marketing & PR should train the agent or give them the tools to explain things and pay them extra to do so.

How much could that cost compared the possibility of losing sales because of inaccurate negative reviews.

It's Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.
  • Options
    irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    Ok I thought after reading the posts, is my seat back all the way? so here I am after 3000 miles and my two children telling me the seat was close....nope it wasnt all the way back...good thing i read the posts!!
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Extended warranties would not exist if they were good for the consumer - what company in their right mind would continue to sell a product or service that they know will cause them to lose money it.

Please, lets not get carried away here! Using this kind of logic you would have to assume that all profitable products in the world are scams because their sale is profitable. Extended warranties have a legitimate place in the marketplace, as all products that sell "risk management" (insurance mostly, also some type of future promises). Fact that they make money on average does not mean automatically they are bad for consumers. It is a kind of a lottery, as all insurance products, where five guys pay for one and the facilitator gets the fee. We may discuss what is a reasonable level of profitability or whether a particaular warranty has value. Just don't make sweeping statements.

I don't like insurance myself, either and weigh each coverage very carefully as cost/benefit. But living in the world where everybody is to get me, all people are liars, all corporations are evil and are to blame for all my failures - no thank you...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Well, that would be nice. However, these 3rd party press pool car companies work for several carmakers. I think the one juice and I dealt with also handles Volvo and some other (?) brands in the Baltimore/Washington area. I wasn't there for the drop off, but my guess is that it came via a rollback tow truck, and operated by a tow truck driver.

I think you see where I'm headed with this...

Bob
  • Options
    LOL! Don't feel so bad, I bet you're not alone!

Bob
  • Options
    I don't know what you were reading - but - Please don't spin what I said out of context. I said that for those that can not afford a pricey emergency repair (out of warranty) then they should consider an extended warranty.

Further, I never said corporations are evil or out to scam you (maybe auto dealers are) - quite the contrary - I said it was the capitalist system - in which we consider it the objective of commercial enterprises to make profits for their owners.

What I said was that if the factory did not profit from them they would not sell them.

Your analogy about five people buying a policy and only one collecting on it is right on the money.

If you can afford the risk of the repair cost - if & when it happens - you are better off not buying the warranty and in theory setting aside a few bucks a month to cover that possibility, on average you will come ahead of the game.
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks.

I did a (brief) test-drive of a Tribeca about a month ago. I'll admit I was a little curious & puzzled as to what those bright orange levers were on the middle seat. The salesman didn't even really know! It wasn't until we had both seats folded down did I figure it out (there was a gap when the 2nd row was not all the way back). I just tried the orange lever & figured it out on my own. I didn't get out the manual. I'd been looking at the car for maybe 15 minutes at that point.

True, it's not intuitive, but they're BRIGHT ORANGE, as someone else mentioned. At some point a curious person is just going to have to see what they do!

Subaru could add some labelling/lettering to them, that may make it clearer...

As to the Tribeca in general, I liked it a lot. I'll probably wait until next year, though. Then they can make a few changes from experience. I have a 2001 VDC that was the first model year, but I really needed a new car that year!

My husband gets cramped in my OB on long trips; he fits much better in the Tribeca. Our dogs fit better, too (more headroom for our wolfhound!).

Christina
  • Options
    If you can afford the risk of the repair cost - if & when it happens - you are better off not buying the warranty and in theory setting aside a few bucks a month to cover that possibility, on average you will come ahead of the game.

Or you can simply sing up for a Subaru Credit Card where 3% of what you spent is back to you as Subaru Buck$ which is good for dealer services or buying new Subarus or even Subaru accessories from dealers. Depending on your spending, it is usually enough for most repairs and scheduled maintainences
  • Options
    True, it's not intuitive, but they're BRIGHT ORANGE, as someone else mentioned. At some point a curious person is just going to have to see what they do!

You would think so. :)

Bob
  • Options
    nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    It has always amazed me how an otherwise smart, savvy sophisticated person can become a naive and gullible consumer the moment they enter an auto dealer’s show room. They happily pay sinfully high prices for worthless add-ons like: fabric protection, paint sealants, and rust proofing (my personal favorite) on a car that comes from the factory with a very good rust warranty.

Newbie:

I'm not sure I would agree with the characterization of all automobile consumers as naive and gullible. I certainly do not think of myself that way. I did not buy the extended warranty on my B9 as I felt the cost to value ratio was not good for me. I did buy it when I bought a 2000 Ford Ranger (glad I do not own it any more) because the cost/value was GREAT, it included free oil changes for 3 years which would have cost as much as the ext warranty. I typically do not buy ext warranties but have bought a few where the cost/value was good for me.

I sell extended warranties in my business almost every day. I tell my customers the same thing... I do not usually buy them for myself. However, when I can show my customer value in our ext warranty, they usually buy. They buy for lots of reasons too. some buy because they can now predict/budget their maintenance costs for 5 years into the future. Budgeting with fixed costs is always easier than taking a guess, even an educated one.

I also bought the R2000 paint sealant. Still not sure if it was a GREAT purchase, but I don't care. I looked at some used cars on the lot, some of which had been treated years earlier with the R2000. What I saw convinced me to buy. I think there is value there.

When I lived in VT, I, like many Vermonters, had my Toyota truck under coated, with some kind of oil, and re-undercoarted every year. I am convinced, like many other Vermonters, that this protected my vehicle from the theavy salt use during winter months.

Here's another saying for you...

You want your vendors to make a profit on you so they are still in business and there for you when you need them!

I know that I did not pay the lowest possible price for my B9 but am very happy with my purchase. I received othe value beyond price, namely delivery when I needed it. I can assure you that there was no way to see and touch on time delivery. Value is measured in many different ways by each consumer. They were good honest folks at Stanley Subaru in Trenton, Maine and I would buy another Subaru from them in a minute, over the phone.

Not trying to chew you out here... just another some what less cynical perspective.

Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Steve
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Welcome aboard Christina!
  • Options
    What ever - if your happy - I'm ecstatic !

I would like to know where I characterized"all automobile consumers as naive and gullible"

You appear to have problems getting quotes right.

By the way - How much did you pay for the $30.00 R2000 wax job. Modern cars all come with clear coat finishes - which if normally cared for - do not oxidize and remain shiny.

Here in Chicago where we use a ton of salt also, I have trusted in the factory's FREE rust-through warranty and have never had to file a rust claim & saved a bunch of money as well.
  • Options
    That's funny, because the first time I looked at one, I asked what the ugly orange knob was for. The sales guy not only didn't know, he hadn't even noticed it. Maybe if it was neon orange, or glow-in-the-dark-yellow?

-Karen-
  • Options
    I think SOA needs to make a better effort of informing anybody who tests these vehicles. It could be nothing more than a sheet of paper taped to the middle-row seat (or to the back of the front seat headrest) with instructions on how to slide the seat.

Actually every 2nd row seat is shipped with a tag attached to the headrest post explaining how the 2 stage slide feature works. This tag isn't suppose to be removed except by the end customer after purchase. I think alot of dealers are removing these prematurely. :(
  • Options
    Actually every 2nd row seat is shipped with a tag attached to the headrest post explaining how the 2 stage slide feature works. This tag isn't suppose to be removed except by the end customer after purchase. I think alot of dealers are removing these prematurely.

This surely must be the case, because in all of the Tribecas I looked at around four different dealers, I don't think I ever saw the tag. Hmmmm....maybe they should add: "not to be removed by penalty of law", like on pillows? ;)

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Remember those who usually buy BMWs are not likely to even think of Subarus, free loaner or not.

So since I drive a BMW I shouldn't even consider a Subaru?
  • Options
    Free? I don't think so.. In 50,000 miles what are you really getting? 10 oil changes? At BMW's price of about $150.00 per oil change that is essentilly $1,500 worth of "free" maintance. Throw in a 30,000 mile service for even $1,000 and you still are only getting $2,500 of "free" service. Now factor in how much of a premium you paid for the vehicle.... Not sure how free it is. Might it be factored into the price?

Maybe I should have phrased this better. Total cost after the sale = free to me. Yes, I know that I've already payed for my maintenance. That is perfectly fine with me. It is alot easier to budget expenses that way. The only maintenance costs out of pocket for me the next four years are for tires.
  • Options
    How about sequenced, flashing lights on those orange handles, like the lights on the back of some road construction vehicles telling you to merge, or the rear turn signals on those old Cougars?

For juice's sake, maybe we could get "Becky" to give verbal instructions each time you get in the car.
  • Options
    Nice try but I'm not sure it will help..

After reading some posts lately - I believe that the way some Interpret what is said here - that we would probably get a lot of angry feedback because some people will take offense to Becky telling them to grab their handle and pulling on it.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Check this out, I found it pretty neat in concept:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8cdf0/0

-juice
  • Options
    lol. Yah, but others would enjoy it. *blush*

That'd be a novel way to attempt to increase marketshare. Probably a long-term cost savings versus those 1-900 numbers.
  • Options
    capreciaccapreciac Member Posts: 12
    Does the Tribeca have this feature? The brochure states there are rear child safety door locks and there are power window, but does not specifically state there are power window locks. Thanks
  • Options
    b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    You want your vendors to make a profit on you so they are still in business and there for you when you need them! >>>

Well said. I bought the warranty as well.

RB
  • Options
    megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    Does anyone know why Subaru doesn't use the Outback 2.5 turbo eng in the Tribeca?
    It has 31 more lb-ft of torque @ a lower rpm and the engine costs a lot less too...

I tested drive a Tribeca :) , ordered 1 :P , and waiting for it to be built. :( I wouldn't mind the extra 31 lb-ft of torque.