Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    At launch I think people figured out the model number and everything. Subaru doesn't put the name Kenwood anywhere, but I believe they did not use the very latest model, even.

Still, I don't care, to this day I still miss Becky's voice. Much sweeter than my Garmin.

-juice
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    For some reason I've been thinking that Subaru's are generally reliable and solid vehicles, and that a Tribeca would be a great vehicle to buy and keep for 7 or 8 years. But I just happened to look over at the Outback forum and saw that there were 6,500 posts in the "Outback Problems and Solutions" forum. That's a lot of posts! I haven't read them all- but just based on their number, and comparative number of "problems" posts about other vehicles- this seems a bit high.

Doesn't it?
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Actually if you scan through the posts, most of them are relatively minor problems. THe reason for the large number of posts is there are some very knowledgable people here who give detailed responses :) .

If you look at Consumers most, if not all, Subarus get a "recommend" and good reliability report all the time.

Mark
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    bat- That's good to hear. Thanks for summarizing the 6500 posts. (as I wasn't planning on reading them all) And- it's always a plus to have a knowledgeable web community out there.

Of all the auto review sites- I find Consumer Reports to be the least useful to me. Yes- I have seen their 'above average' reliability rating for the Tribeca, but JD Power has Subaru about 2/3's of the way down the stack. However, none of these reports reliability after 5 years and 60,000 miles. I don't need to own the world's most reliable vehicle (heck, I'm still actually considering a Touareg), but it shouldn't have too many annoying problems.
  • Options
    pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I'm almost willing to bet that this is against a forum rule.
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I was recently at the dealer for service. The service manager told me that they have been pleasantly surprised by the low number of problems with the Tribecas at their location in the year since they have come out. She also mentioned that virtually all of the problems have been very minor in nature. I can say that I have also been quite pleased with everything so far (16k miles).

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Correct! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Our "Subaru Crew" is an active group so we are over-represented here on Edmunds, and not just in that thread.

Also, read up on it and you'll find several hilarious stories, of note:

* WDB and how a rodent ate some of his underhood wiring, we think it was a squirrel

* How Jiffy Lube has on more than one occasion drained the tranny instead of the engine oil (DOH!)

* overfilling/underfilling the engine oil (we truly have OCD)

* I forget who, but one of us was obsessed with measure the fender height on both sides and finding small discrepancies, we could not get over that one

Most posts aren't for reliability issues at all.

The H6 has been rock solid. The head gasket and wheel bearing isues that have been by far the two most common on Subarus have not affected the Tribeca at all.

-juice
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    juice,

I'm under the impression that the turbo blocks also have always been rock solid.........not the same engine as the normally aspirated ones with some gasket issues.

dave
  • Options
    That is also true, the turbos all use a semi-closed deck design, they're not the same as the normally aspirated 2.5l engines.

The H6 is an EZ30, so it's not even the same design. The non-turbo is an EJ255 and the turbo is an EJ257. All these blocks are different, but the two EJs at least share a basic architecture, i.e. things like bore centers.

-juice
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "That looks like an 07 model. It has the blacked out grill and the radio appears to have the SAT radio button. "

Yeah, I guess Europe is getting the original grill but in black instead of chrome which does look better but the new mesh grille is black so I'll just enjoy the chrome until i get the mesh.

Speaking of which, there is no other update on the new black mesh grille for 06's other then one person here stating that dealer said mid summer? With the 07 due out this month that seems a little long but maybe one of the subaru parts websites will have it available sooner, otherwise I guess i can wait mid summer because I got my B9 last July so i should enjoy the original style chrome girlle for about a full year before changing.

While on the topic of grills I wanted to bring up something else i have mentioned before though possibly in the Murano vs. Tribeca thread or something but the Murano definately has a second grille option as I've seen it not on many but on enough to know that many ppl dont all have the same aftermarket custome grille and basically instead of a segmented grille it has smooth tight bars going all the way across basically and does look better.

Also the Lexus RX has the same thing on not many but enough that you know they all didn't get the same aftermarket custom grille and its more of a mesh or eggcrate grille so it must be like an SE option or something and now the B9 will have the same thing. These optional sportier grilles that come some time after vehicle intro seem to always look better as they were designed to do so and the B9's is no exception to me. can't wait to get one and hope I can live with the crappy cargo cover until the 08 model comes out and therefore resist entertaining the idea of selling my 06 and getting and 07 just to get the grille earlier and get the improved cargo cover, not to mention integrated xm, and saving by getting rid of the dvd player now that i can get the aux audio input without it and getting rid of the 3rd row now that you can get the limited with leather and nav without that 3rd row which i never use.

Speaking of the vehicle being a little heavy for the underpowered engine, I think that is much more of a problem on the Touareg V6 while the V8 is a gas guzzler and too expensive but I figure getting rid of the 3rd row on the B9 would help a little with weight and another reason why i would want to do it.

plus I still want to get the optional subwoofer/amp under the passenger seat in addition the one that comes with the premium audio system in the rear and while I initially though it was just a subwoofer it does seem to say subwoofer amplifier on all the parts websites so i was wondering if it would actually increase volume and not just bass in which case I really need to get it as my problem seems to be more with low volume especially playing from mp3 players and portable xm player etc. and not so much a lack of bass.

"Also, one of the pics in the gallery shows an alteeza taillight instead of the red."

I did notice that even before I saw your comment and we have talked about it in here before. While I agree the all red is better then red with yellow tail lights I disagree as one person said that the clear tail lights were out of style or something. Done right they look pretty good and my main point ws that all the other newer competing midsize suvs seem to have them and they look good on the Lexus RX and even the Pilot has more of a clear taillight as opposed to Tribecas not clear red.

Regardless they look pretty good to me in the picture though you only get a close up view
    http://www.b9.eu/en/dl/1280/13_1280.jpg

Now the question is how and when can we get those for an american model. I'm assuming they would fit and its just a matter of a subaru parts company/website having them in stock and have dealer put them on our american B9's! That would be awesome.
  • Options
    First off as was kind of explained to you just cus there is 6500 posts in the OUtback or whatever problems thread doesn't mean its a bad vehicle. It just means it has a lot of active owners similiar to this thread sharing information, tips tricks etc. so just seeing the # of posts and assuming that ia all problems is not good assumption.

Consuer Reports on the other hand which you say is least useful to you for some reason is actually just if not about the only thing that can be trusted. Understand that Consumer Reports is the only magazine/outfit that does thorough and unbiased testing and reviews. Unlike the other magazines which is mostly all BS they are not paid by advertisers, the other mags is just whoever pays them best and JD Power does not seem to be the most accurate trusted source either and seem to just go by ppls reviews which are all over the place for whatever reasons and not like the professional thorough testing of CR.

So do yourself a favor and put your trust in CR not JD Power or the # of posts you see on a thread.

AS the other person said Subarus have been consistently recommended by CR and that is the reason why I took the risk on the B9 in its first and new model year being that it was loosely based on Subie models that are year after year recommended.

Granted in the Mid Size SUV category the B9 is not high up on the list of recommended vehicles but it just depends how much you care about that overall score and really the most important thing is that if it gets a recommended check mark that it passed every category from reliability to safety and beyond with satisfactory or above results. This is pretty impressive for a new first year model.

It took BMW a few years before their X5 was recommended and now it is in the top 5 recommended mid size suv which makes my name on here look stupid because when I made it I was basically mocking how it has never been rated well and hinting that maybe the B9 could be an X5 killer so to speak. well the next the X5 got recommended and high up overall score just under the Lexus Rx hybrid and non hybrid both in the top 5 and the Highlander hybrid which is #1 and non hybrid like #6. Anyway i was kind of competing with my cousin who has a 4.4 X5 but bottom line is that is the fast one and blows away the Tribeca, heh. but I still think I'd rather have a B9 then an X5 3.0 which is no faster then the B9 and is still more expensive.
  • Options
    My moonroof wind deflector rubber seal around the front of it keeps coming loose and flapping in the wind which makes a loud sound when at faster speeds on the highway. I am able to reattach it/tuck it back in good as new but it has come undone again.

at first I thought it was from the carwash which incidentally I get a lot with my Satin pearl white like almost once a week partially blamed on that I get a discount on the gas when getting the car wash which helps me justify getting 93 when I get it for the price of 89 octane but in the end i'm prob still spending more. Regardless I was wondering getting it washed a lot can wear away the luster of the paint or any other unwanted side effects.

I dont think its the wash that loosesn the rubber seal on moon roof wind deflector though it might have been the initial thing it now comes undone on its own just from teh wind I guess.

A couple of us in here changed the headlight bulbs to Sylvania Silver Star HID like bulbs and I remember B9'r wondered aloud how long they would last in comparison to the stock bulbs. whose post I actually saw today on my ppc phone as I looked up on this thread the headlight bulb size in pep boys which is H7 btw because one of my headlights went out.

So that answers that, not even a year, and i bet the stock bulbs fair better but I do not regret it, even the Murano has Xenon headlights and I really wonder why Subaru continues to leave this out on the B9 even as an option.

I can't help but to think the always on daytime running lights didn't help matters and now am interested in doing the parking brake button depressed trick to not only allow dvd play on front screen (for front passenger) but also to kill the daytime running lights as someone found out was another effect of the parking brake if i recall correctly.

There really is no need for them on a super bright sunny day when noone can see them anyway and they just burn your bulb out sooner. I have no problem putting the parking lights on in constructions zones, cloudy days, or other neccesary times etc.

As well I have a rattling sound that i thought was emanating from under the dash somewhere in front of the wheel or in front of the screen somewhere within that area but now I wonder if in fact i'm hearing the headlight bulb which somehow came unattacked rattling around a little, its not every bump but only like sideways movements and it is a glass/metal like sound so it could be that and possibly the bulb isn't even dead bur rather came loose so that would solve both concerns in one.

regardless I got a new H7 sylvania silver star bulb in cse and can return it unopened if not needed and have a service appt. tomorrow and hopefully they can fix the rattling whether its the loose bulb or not, change the bulb and more permanently secure the rubber seal around the front of the moonroof wind deflector.
  • Options
    if you notice under colour, the euro version is not being offered in any shade of white, making the american Satin White pearl more rare but brings up a question? are they offering the satin pearl or any white for the american 07? That would make me not want to get an o7 and deal with teh cargo cover.

I do like very much the way the new dark metallic grey looks with the new mesh grille and even the SE chrome wheels but if they did away with teh white I would want to keep it longer as i love it with my 20" black wheels and all the black accessories.

also one other quick not on the www.b9.eu site the intro page shows an all clear B9 headlight with no orange turn signal section, that would be great but i guess its just for show on the sites intro page as the euro version pics show the same headlight with orange glass as ours.
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    I can't help but to think the always on daytime running lights didn't help matters and now am interested in doing the parking brake button depressed trick to not only allow dvd play on front screen (for front passenger) but also to kill the daytime running lights as someone found out was another effect of the parking brake if i recall correctly.

Ah yes, safety first. ;)
  • Options
    Too bad that photo is black and white, I think I like it but I'd love to see a color photo.

x5killer: a dab of adhesive will keep that in place. They probably try to use as little as possible to keep the headliner neat.

-juice
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Euro Tail Light Availability

I contacted SOA about availability of Euro tail light lens and was informed that they could only be purchased in markets where they are used, not US or Canada. I visited an Subie web site in the UK and it stated that they do not ship out of the country.

I guess this is a job for Juice to find out if the Euro lens will fits our 06s since SOA as policy will not provide specs on foreign products.

Mesh Grill

When I was at the Chicago Show the mesh grill on the 07 SE looked like chrome to me.
  • Options
    I would guess that if they don't comply with FMVSS 108 then Subaru wouldn't be able to import them.

Here is a page that explains the requirement if anybody wants to take the time to read it.

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

Of course if Subaru won't tell us if it complies it is all moot.
  • Options
    The 07 grille is true chromed metal. Which is good, i.e. it's not plastic like most grilles are nowadays.

I bet the tail light will fit, but I don't have a Tribeca to take apart to know for sure. Wanna lend me yours? ;)

The parts importers like SubieGal will know, sooner or later someone will do it.

-juice
  • Options
    b9erb9er Member Posts: 10
    if the bulb was loose that can definitely burn the bulb sooner. PLease let us know how that works out. do you guys know if Nokya bulbs are any good?and if they make H7?I replaced my license plate lights in Blue and they look cool kinda like the new Lexus IS.
  • Options
    well the rattling wasn't the headlight which was apparently dead which doesn't bode well for the sylvania silver star hid like bulbs in the tribeca as it didn't last a year.

I was tired and forgot to tell them to put dead bulb in the packaging of the new bulb so I could maybe return it to pepboys as it should last longer then 10 mo. but they didn't and now they are closed and prob threw out the packaging amd old bulb.

so that's $21 for the bulb and then I think it was 27 to put it in. it would have been free under warraty if I let them put in the stock bulb even though the one that burnt out wasn't stock (but I guess they didn't know or care) but I already had the sss bulb in othe headlight and that would be stupid.

how long is warranty? 1 year? I prob should have waited till then to change the bulbs then but was so mad that the B9 didn't have a xenon headlight option like the murano that I switched to the hidlike sss's right away. the other one I'm assuming will go not long from now and ill make sure to save packaging and bulb although then it won't be 10 mo. and will prob be over 12 mo. which I what the warranty if any on those bulbs from pep boys are with my luck ugh.

the seal around the front of the moonroof wind deflector will hold now hopefully as at first all they did was tighten the screws on the deflector which I knew wouldn't be enough and thy admitted it didn't tighten much. after checking in here on my ppc phone I saw someone mention the adhesive which I told the tech and they did it so thankyou and hopefully it holds cus it was really annoying when it would come loose and flap in the wind.

as far as the rattling it was not solved. I wasn't lucky enough for it to be the bulb and they couldn't figure out what it was. the tech said on another tribeca they had a different sound and had to take everything apart or something and tighten everything and woulddo a few things at once and then test drive instead of one thing at a time so when it stopped they weren't even sure what part it was.

so I will have to leave it so they can get in there and tighten everything or whatever. they had no loaner cars and I will have to make another appt. to leave it and hope I can get a tribrca loaner which they can't promise. tribeca loaner should be for tribeca owners and vice versa unless they can give me an sti loaner heh but it sucks when you have the highest end model so loaner of any other is downgrade. maybe ill wait till summer when my little bro in law is working at rental place and supposedly they are getting the new chrysler like the 300c but looks even more like a bentley and possibly suicide doors though that was prob just the concept.

anyway it sucks I have a rattling which I have to make a new appt. for and be without my beca and in the meantime have a slight rattling of which the source is unknown but there was nothing I did or that happened it just started happeneing and I'm not even sure when.

also it sucks I had to buy a new headlight bulb and pay to have it installed as its very tight and tricky even the techs have a hard time with it, when I just bought the bulbs and had to pay for instalation less then a year ago.
  • Options
    also, can the nav give you live traffic when you go to route options? traffic conditions?
  • Options
    b9'r didn't you change to sss H7's for the headlights? let me know how long yours last. could have been not installed perfectly and why it went sooner in which case I should have taken up witb dealer in fact I think the driver side is especially more difficult because of something blocking access and may be why it didn't get installed as good. maybe they are better at it now though noones stock bulbs have gone yet prob at my shop.

anyway well see how long the other one lasts and the sss H3 fog lights and its sad that the cheaper blue highbeam replacement bulbs I got outlasted the one sss but I think I'm sure the daytime running factor didn't help and I really want to disable that now.

the blue license plate lights sound great. what size and brand are they and whre did you get?

I originally tried get in the turn signal of the mirrors when I first got car with the idea of changing those leds but couldn't get in and just loosened my mirror and stripped a screw or 2.

license plate ones should be easier heh and wonder why I hadn't thought of it.

also know a few ppl mentioned changing the amber interior floor lights. anyone do it and/or know what size those bulbs are?
  • Options
    fjelffjelf Member Posts: 8
    So I really, really, wanted the 3D Navigation function of the standard Kenwood GPS offering and I was hoping for some differences in the POIs that really bug me (see below) so I got a unit on eBay and installed it last Friday. Here is what I’ve found so far.

Installation was a snap, just unplug the old DVD nav unit and replace it with a new.
    When starting the Beca you need to accept the LCD screen AND the Nav system.
    Unfortunately the DESTination and ZOOM buttons does not work.
    Turning your lights on (headlight switch) result in the nav screen turning to night mode (as it should), but setting the illumination knob to max does not switch the screen in to day mode.
    Everything else works the way it should! :)

As for the functionality the 3D is nice but not as nice as in TomTom or iGuidance that I’ve seen.
    The ability to list POIs by distance is still lacking so no luck trying the find the closest restaurant or gas station. :( (strange since the emergency function sorts by distance)

I think the recalculation might be a little faster, but not enough to make me recommend doing this upgrade.

Time to open up the DVD nav units and see what the difference is between the two.
  • Options
    As far as I know live traffic is only available from Acura and requires XM radio service.
  • Options
    setting the illumination knob to max does not switch the screen in to day mode

Setting the illumination to max is not suppose to change the nav screen to day mode.
  • Options
    setting the illumination knob to max does not switch the screen in to day mode

Setting the illumination to max is not suppose to change the nav screen to day mode.

Strange... the LCD backlight changes on my Beca and the background color of the map changes too. (For the OEM model that is)
  • Options
    Mine does the same.
  • Options
    I stand corrected - it was the fact that turning the brightness knob all the way does not turn on all the interior lights that I was thinking of.

Well now we know why it doesn't turn on the cabin lighting.

Logically it can not do both since they are not compatible features.
  • Options
    Interesting, please take photos!

XM Traffic service costs $17 per month. Not bad I guess, since you also get XM.

Interestingly, the 07 Tribeca will have an XM option, so I wonder if the NAV will be upgraded?

Some of the better portable devices offer the XM Traffic feature, even XM radio and MP3 capability via an FM frequency. They're around a grand or so.

-juice
  • Options
    I spoke to Kenwood about their new KNA-G510 as it supports both XM radio and XM traffic all though (subscriptions and extra components required). Unfortunately they stated that the XM functionality would only be supported with their latest head units. Maybe I should have tried the G510 instead of the DV4100... and I might, unless someone else is about to test it...
  • Options
    sure i'd let u guys know. so far it's been about 5 months. the lic plate light I used are the BL hybrid,bulb # 168.I'm here in So Cal and got it from a local car accessory store for $10 cause i know somebody that works there.I don't think pep boys or auto zone have them. check the link below.

http://store.racinglab.com/polm4supwhit.html
  • Options
    awc100awc100 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a kid sized pair of headphones the DVD system. You do not have to buy replacement headphones from your dealer or even Subaru! Almost any IR headphones sold at local Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc should work. The ones I bought were for my little boy, the adult ones are way too big. They worked fine, especially last week on the way back from the beach sitting on I-85 for an hour behind a wreck clean up, not moving.
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4409836
    We have a Fry's here so I picked them up at the store.
  • Options
    You didn't lose any output with those? Some of the blue-tinted bulbs put out less light than stock.

-juice
  • Options
    excobramhoonexcobramhoon Member Posts: 2
    How do you disable the daytime running lights?

My left leg is getting really tired holding the park brake on and there is a really strange smell coming from the car.

I have a couple of kids that I want to be safe in a visible car, but I want to be the judge of when daytime lights are useful.

Thx m8s.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I have a couple of kids that I want to be safe in a visible car, but I want to be the judge of when daytime lights are useful.

With all due respect, I don't agree with your thinking. The whole point of daytime running lights is so the other guy can see you. You, being the driver of your vehicle can't accurately judge what others can or cannot see. You may think they can see you (because you can see fine), but in fact they may not be able to see you—or not see you nearly as well as you think they can.

Example: The sun's at your back, and you can see fine. However, for oncoming cars, the sun is in the driver's eyes. Having DRLs is better than not having them.

Example: On "gray" days, cars often blend into the surroundings. DRLs are a big advantage in this kind of lighting.

My advice: Leave the daytime running lights alone. The car was designed to run with them, so you're not going to wear them out any faster by disabling them—and even if they did wear out faster, I think your children's safety is worth far more than a couple of daytime running lights.

Bob
  • Options
    thanks - now what about getting my temp on the map page?
    As stated before you cannot, but I found yesterday that if you use the far right button (screen settings) you get the temp super imposed on the map, so at least I don't loose the map while checking the temp. (Instead of going to the Info screen)

Exit by pressing the button again.

Also as a follow up on the "illumination to max" setting there are two modes handled by the screen: Day and Night so we have the ability to set the contrast and brightness separate for each... if desired.
  • Options
    the brightness is perfect. I guess they have the same wattage so you don't lose any.
  • Options
    I'm in Pennsylvania. My guess is that if I changed my license plate bulb to a color other than white, the cops would have me pulled over in a heart beat.
  • Options
    Also - what about people with bad vision or impaired drivers.
  • Options
    awc100awc100 Member Posts: 2
    I tried to log on to the chat last night but it kept telling me it was closed. it was 9:15pm eastern. Was the chat canceled or did I miss it or something?
  • Options
    They had the Lexus Used Car Chat. Oops, I mean pre-owned. :P

-juice
  • Options
    "sure i'd let u guys know. so far it's been about 5 months. the lic plate light I used are the BL hybrid,bulb # 168.I'm here in So Cal and got it from a local car accessory store for $10 cause i know somebody that works there.I don't think pep boys or auto zone have them. check the link below.

http://store.racinglab.com/polm4supwhit.html"

oh only 5 months you've had your Sylvania Silver Stars in? I think I put mine in in July sometime so it was only 10 mo. when the one went.

so the bulbs at the link will work for the B9's license plate bulbs? the descrip says white not blue. the current ones are alreay white though these may be brighter but i wanted to change to blue for a better effect. I'm in PA too and doubt cop would pull you over as long as the plate is invisible.

i dont know why everyone gets all worried about that and similiar stuff.
  • Options
    yeah. that should work.you can see a big difference in color. it's says white but it's actually more blue than white and a bit brighter. I also don't think cops shoud harrass you for that. most of the new cars have this kind like the lexus IS350.
  • Options
    A short while ago we were asked why there are so many posts in the Problems thread, well you might find this one funny:

ateixeira, "Subaru Crew: Problems & Solutions" #6562, 8 May 2006 9:16 am

That's right, first problem in 9 years and I think it was a squirrel or mole. I see little striped ones in my yard but I don't know what they are called. Smaller than a squirrel, brown with black/white stripes on their back. Chewed up a wire grommmet, though it has not created a problem for me so far.

:surprise:

-juice
  • Options
    ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    :P
    Owen
  • Options
    Bingo, that's HIM!

-juice
  • Options
    LOL!!! Alvin and his brothers! ;)
  • Options
    My daughter is going to laugh non-stop. She's 6 but knows I love my cars, I gotta show her that photo.

-juice
  • Options
    They're cute as heck, but equally destructive. They all be destroyed a friends Beetle that he parked on a wooded section of his property one winter. :cry: