Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    If your battery is dead you have bigger prolems than not being able to open the rear hatch.

If you disconnected the battery r-connect it.

At least in an SUV so eqipped - you can still get to the cargo area - unlike many sedans.

My Q 45 - (and many other cars) has only an electric release - no key. Unless you keep someone in the trunck to pull the emergency release you are SOL:)
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I know, but it's an unneeded additional annoyance. I prefer a conventional manual release.

Bob
  • Options
    bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    I didn't get the "scoring" on this review. One of the Pro's was the above average handling. The Tribeca was then given a handling score of 6 - average! :confuse:

Considering the Tribeca is priced to compete against the Pilot, Murano, Highlander, Envoy, Freestyle and Pacifica, yet drives and feels like a Lexus, Volvo, Infiniti, Audi or BMW, I would consider it an above average cross-over SUV, especially when factoring in value.
  • Options
    erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I took my first extended test drive this weekend. Overall, I liked the vehicle. I thought it handled well, seemed pretty smooth riding and the interior was nicely layed out . The only reservations I have are in regards to pickup from a dead stop, the gas tank, and the price.

It seemed to be straining to get the vehicle moving and was eager to rev with little throttle input. This makes me think the engine is a little too small for the amount of weight it is moving. There were only 2 of us and we were on fairly flat ground. I can't imagine trying to start with a full vehicle on an incline. Once the revs pickup it starts to move pretty good.

With only a 16.9 gal. tank it would seem that fillups would be pretty often, I have that problem with my 99 Lexus RX. It has a 17.2 gal. tank and doesn't go more than 300 miles on the highway.

The third row seat is pretty much a joke. Even for kids it would seem they would have to be fairly young or the people in the 2nd row would need to be pretty small. Aside from wanting an extra 4-5" available in the back row, I found the interior space pretty good.

Another thing I noticed but didn't delve into was the AC. It cooled off the vehicle, but seemed to run at a higher fan speed and for a longer time in 90 degree heat to cool down the interior on auto mode. Our 99 RX kicks down to the lower settings in like 10 minutes even at 90 degrees. Our model seemed to be running at half or better the entire ride and full speed when we first got in.

If the price was about 4K lower or it had a larger engine/gas tank, this would be a fairly easy decision. I'm leaning toward the pilot even though the interior is not as nice.
  • Options
    imagesandwordsimagesandwords Member Posts: 26
    I agree with you for the most part but the Murano, Freestyle, and Tribeca were all good. The Tribeca has better ride/feel balance but the other were good too. I still think the Tribeca a notch above. Its got its faults but the handling is not one of them.
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    another joke was. they tested a 7-seater & one of the Pros was Cargo capacity. 8 c.f is a pro ?
  • Options
    ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I think all of us "car snobs" can agree on one thing....nothing drives like a BMW. Some can get close, but please don't tell me a tribeca handles like or better than a BMW X3.

Now, on to more important things. Please Subaru...."telescoping steering wheel"!!!

The third row is a joke, but it may come in handy with small kids. I also agree with the previous person who mentioned the problem with only having a 4way passenger seat. However, I currently have a 2004 Toyota 4runner which cost me $30k and both seats are manual. Sometimes you have to cut in some areas to gain in others.

I think if everyone waits until the hype dies down then a 5 passenger limited is easily attainable for around $30k....a good deal if you ask me.

See ya,,

Also consider a BMW X3 if you are cross shopping.
  • Options
    These release sytems rarely ever fail.

I rather have the electric remote release (and chance a 1 in a million failure), than have to fumble with a key to open the gate when I have an arm full of packages and it is raining cats and dogs or freezing cold.

Would you rather have mechanical switches on your TV rather than an electronic remote?
  • Options
    I would like to humbly point out the Edmunds.com's X3 review. They didn;t think X3 handles as well as the 3 series. They suggested that buyers should take a serious look at the Forester XT before buying X3. So, it is not just subaru loyalists that brag its handling but also the mag editors.
  • Options
    An X 3 is much smaller -

The recent Motor Trend review stated that the B9 beat an X5 3.0i, Murano,Pilot and the V8 Touareg in the shoalam (is that spelt correctly). I think that indicates it can handle with X5.

As far as the seats go, my 70K Jaguar and my Q45 come with 4 way passenger seat. Thats fairly common - maybe silly but common.
  • Options
    imagesandwordsimagesandwords Member Posts: 26
    Its true that the Tribeca does not drive the same as the X3. I would contend that the ride/feel balance is better in the Tribeca. At the same time the X3 3.0 is quicker than the B9. The X3 2.5 is a dog much like the 325 sedan, however, the 3.0 is pretty nice.

As far as cargo goes. The Tribeca only has about 15% more room than an Outback. Its why the third row is useless.

X3:
    Seats up: 30 cu. ft.
    Seats down: 71 cu. ft.

Tribeca
    Seats up: 37.6 cu. ft.
    Seats down: 74 cu. ft.

Outback
    Seats up: 33.5 cu. ft
    Seats down: 66 cu. ft.
  • Options
    bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    BMW does not have a patent on sports car-like suspensions!

My 2004 Volkswagen GTI with an Eibach spring kit will run a slalom course or skidpad better than any 3 or 5 series BMW (except the M3).

The Infiniti F35 was the best handling cross-over my wife and I test drove before choosing the Tribeca. I attribute that to the low profile tires and big sway bars. The Subaru's low center of gravity, rear-biased AWD, balanced weight distribution 18" wheels and low profile tires make it an awesome handling SUV.

I thought the BMW X3 looked cheap inside. My wife didn't think the ride was refined. And it's not that she doesn't appreciate good handling cars - she loved test driving the sporty Acura RSX Type S before we purchased the GTI!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C&D also compared the X3 to the Forester in the BMW's review and their 5Best truck for the category is the Forester, not the Bimmer.

X3 does handle slightly better than the Tribeca IMHO, it's a lot smaller and stiffly sprung so it certainly should. But the X3 crashes over even small cracks in the pavement. They ride very, very stiffly, and in this regard the Tribeca rides a whole lot better.

By the way, I drove an X3 without the sport package, imagine the ride with the sport package - unacceptable as a family vehicle, perhaps OK for empty nesters.

X5 3.0 is closer to the Tribeca and even that model doesn't offer the 3rd row. I bet the next generation grows a bit, let's see if they can maintain decent handling in a 7 seater.

Big Frank fits! Told ya. ;-)

Karen - congrats on the order, I'm sure you'll let us know when you get it.

-juice
  • Options
    Something odd about them - they used to rank the Forester as their top pick, then suddenly from one issue to the next, their rating of the Forester dropped dramatically, and it wasn't even a year of a redesign. I didn't get it at the time and still don't get it now.

Maybe they hired a new Editor and he overruled how they had rated Subarus in the past? It was a dramatic change, not a small adjustment.

Maybe they hired Hondabro. LOL

I have back issues since about 1991, tend to buy one each year. They are a good reference for equipment levels and options, though I don't bother to read their reviews. Nothing in-depth and scores seem arbitrary.

Another example - they rate the WRX wagon 10 points higher than the WRX STi. That's just not understanding what an STi is all about.

Still a good resource to find out what equipment was standard/optional.

-juice
  • Options
    mayberryguymayberryguy Member Posts: 145
    I agree with Juice on the X3 ride. I have driven a Sport Package equipped X3 3.0 6speed manual, and even though it handled great, it was brutal on rough pavement. It is also not your typical BMW quality inside. It does feel a little on the cheap side considering the price, and it's small. It felt more cramped than my 325xi. It is one sweet ride with the 3.0 + the 6speed Manual, though. :)

My money would have to be on the Tribeca for bang for the buck. The Tribeca interior feels more like a BMW than the X3 does.

I haven't driven an X5 but it doesn't have a 3rd row and for price you can't compete with the Tribeca.
  • Options
    BMW outsourced the production of this vehicle completely, a supplier builds the entire car at their plant. It's not too bad, but the interior certainly isn't up to normal BMW standards.

Of course the price is right - an X3 is actually cheaper than a 325xi last time I checked. But they had to cut costs somewhere. The 3 series feels more substantial and nicer inside, even the old model.

Tribeca's interior is more like Lexus' than BMW's IMHO, warmer and more nicely decorated, vs. the cold simplicity that is a Bavarian trademark.

-juice
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    This time last year, I bought a Forester XT PP over the brand-new Outback XT or Legacy GT Ltd because the usable cargo area and the rear passenger usable leg/foot room were significantly better in the Forester...and I havent regretted that decision for a moment.

Now we need to replace our Explorer and we were ready to buy a Tribeca on the assumption that it would gie us a lot more room for passengers and cargo than the Forester. A closer look has me wondering whether the Tribeca offers any meaningful increase in cargo room over the Forester.

With the rear seats up, the difference on paper is 32 cubic feet versus 37, with Outback and Legacy in between, but the boxy shape of the Forester and vertical rear gate make that space so much more usable. The Tribeca cargo area behind the second seat is as narrow as the Forester and no deeper...and the extra height is only marginally useful. If a Tribeca isnt going to give us more room for dogs and vacation junk, maybe I should wait until the B9 convertible comes out.

What say you, new Tribeca owners?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Having had our Legacy in for servicing last week, I had the opportunity to drive a basic 7 passenger cloth Tribeca at Flemington Subaru in NJ.

I must say, I was damn impressed by this vehicle, which seems to represent an incredible value proposition. This was my first drive of any H6 powered Subaru, and although the mags post 8.9 to 60, I for one thought the rig moved very smartly off the line, revved incredibly eagerly and smoothly, and impressed me with engine flexibility in general.

No doubt, it feels stronger than the numbers the MT and C/D have gotten... I believe C/D noted a preproduction issue, so I'd be interested to see production acceleration numbers. For me, it wouldnt be an issue. And its HELLA quicker than our NA Legacy, which has really disappointed in that one area.

The dashboard is phenomenal designed, and generally quite ergonomic. The slope of the armrest allows the window switches to fall conveniently at hand, and the instrumentation is among the best my admittedly limited driving years have witnessed. Power adjustments to the drivers seat more than compensated for the telescopic lack, IMHO.

The steering is direct, fairly quick, well weighted... for an SUV, this was a delight to drive. The steering and handling were superior to that of the Mercedes ML350, which I had the pleasure of manhandling several times around a roadcourse at a MB driving event here in NJ just this Saturday. Didnt get a chance to test the Tribecas stability control, but should say that I was impressed by the MB system (when it worked, my first ML was having issues).... it allowed for some fun slippage before intervening to spare the simulated deer that jumped out hokily in front of the vehicle.

Gripes? Smallish rearview mirrors, overly tinted rear glass areas, and Im not sure I like the fabric, but it did seem durable.

IIRC, the MSRP on this very lightly accessorized model was $33.6K. In light duty SUV land, I cant think of a better way to spend it. Then again, I'm singlish and without any children I know of, so I didnt really consider space.... but the interior seems just as flexible as its appeared since day one, and I had no problems climbing in the 2nd row...

Now, if SoA can just get the word out....

Happy Motoring!

-Joe
  • Options
    junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    Here's the schedule for the upcoming televised review of the Tribeca on Motorweek/PBS.

http://www.klru.org/myKLRU/PrintProgram.asp?VSNID=124348

If you want to TIVO the review, here's a way to get the local station listing and broadcast times for Motorweek state by state. Click the link below and when on the site click "On the air" tab then the "station listing" tab. (Sorry for some reason I could not cut and paste it-maybe it's this firefox browser)

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/search.shtml

Maybe the TV ads will start coming after the televised reviews? :D
  • Options
    mediaguy1mediaguy1 Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a Tribeca...no complaints. I read with amusement the numerous car reviews done by Inside Line and all the "other" magazines and newspapers. I am also a motorsports journalist for network television and have been to many car launches. I hope everyone understands the cozy relationship they all have with each other. The manufacturers fly the so-called reporters first class to test the cars...put them up in 5 star hotels and ply them with the best wine and food. And remember, they live or die by the amount of advertising the auto companies place in their magazines. Write a harsh review...and wham...they cut back the ad dollars or you don't get invited to their next launch. Have you every seen shots of the parties surrounding the ride and drives? Its an unwritten rule. Just keep in mind..its all entertainment.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT=215540

When did Subaru open a plant in Shreveport, LA??
  • Options
    I recall posting something like this some time back. No nice review - no more trips to Milan!!

Instead you fly Southwest to Duluth in January to test the new Trabant. Your test vehicle will be waiting in the Motel 6 parking lot - pick it up after your continental breakfast.
  • Options
    That's an error.

Bob
  • Options
    Sorry Bob - I forgot the smiley!! I know it's an error.
  • Options
    tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    Yea, it sounds like you've had some problems. What year? I think there were problems with the early-mid 90s. We have had several alternators put on as well but no leaks or any of the other stuff you've had. I really like the B9 too for a number of reasons, but I'm sort of hesitant to get rid of my Explorer since it's been so good plus I want to get the F250 paid down more. I guess I'd like to wait a while anyway to see how the Becas do once driven for a while. I'm guessing pretty good though. My parents had a 84 Sub Wagon and they never changed the oil and the thing ran for like 100,000 miles before pooping out on them, so imagine what they do when taken care of?!!! They've since learned their lesson!! ;)
  • Options
    Forester has excellent space efficiency, and the boxy shape of the cargo area are even more useful than the numbers would have you think. In CR's biggest box test, my Forester could beat the Pathfinder, CR-V, and Grand Cherokee of its time.

Tribeca has a wide and long floor, so some would say in that way it's more practical, but it won't haul boxy items any better, no.

I took precise measurements and shared photos above in this very thread. I think it was no longer than the Outback's floor with the 3rd row folded, but it was a little wider.

autocar's Tribeca was quicker than the others tested recently:

the B9 steps off the line briskly enough and hits 62mph from standstill in 8.5sec

They test up to 100kph, so 0-60mph would be quicker.

These are all still just previews, not really full road tests.

-juice
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    (Warning - long post)

Yesterday afternoon I finally had a chance to try out the Tribeca back to back with an auto OB XT. I was in a similar situation like Joe (alpha01) - I was at Flemington Subaru in NJ for service, so I went for a drive. The nice thing about Flemington: Here's the keys, just bring it back in one piece :) . (BTW Joe -was yours the Black base 7 passenger as well?)

When I came back form driving them both under the same conditions and roads, I had a big smile on my face :D . The salesman asked my opinion and my response was I loved it! Unfortunately, it is giving me a lot more to think about.

Basically it comes down to this: for fun, the OB XT wins hands down. No if, ands, nor buts about it. In the OB I felt like I was flying down the road. For comfort and that luxury feel, the Tribeca wins by a landslide. Here is what I feel:
    Acceleration - the Tribeca needs a little more power. It's OK the way it is, but if fully loaded down I can see where it will be slow going at first, possibly even worse than my 165 HP 2000 base OBW now. The OB with the turbo is obviously much better. I felt like I was in a rocket when I stepped on the gas pedal.
    Handling - When in the OB taking some turns at a good clip, I could feel the car swaying/rolling. With the Tribeca, I felt nothing. The salesman said this was due to the VDC/VTD on the Tribeca. Unbelievable!
    Seating/comfort- The Tribeca is very comfortable up front and in the second row. Much more so than the OB.
    Visibility- The Tribeca wins hands down (in the front). I never realized that the OB, which I thought had great visibility has one annoying spot that the rear view mirror hides. No such problem in the Tribeca! The back could be better, but it is livable.

I am in the same situation as BigFrank3 (message 3546) - it is only my wife and I. We do take my Mom places occasionally, so I really don't need a 7 pass SUV, but after driving the Tribeca I may be swayed :) . Next step - take the wife for a drive and get her opinion. I have been sitting on the fence for a while now since we are waiting for my wife to finally get a package and get out of there! Until we know what is happening we do not want to go nuts and get a new car. The one good thing is we both agree within a year we will get a new car, just a matter of which one.

BTW- My boss's son went to buy a new car. He was considering either the Pathfinder or Pilot. Then he went and drove the Tribeca. He loved it except for two things: Power - he felt it needs more to be truly worth it. He also felt it needs movable pedals (he is around 5ft.) He wound up getting a Pathfinder LE. He feels the Tribeca rides much better, but the Pathfinder has the power he needs.

Mark
  • Options
    I don't think it's the VDC by itself that makes it sway/roll less, it's a well-tuned suspension on the Tribeca.

You're hooked, though, they do drive nicely, don't they? :o)

-juice
  • Options
    I picked OB XT over tribeca for cost & for pure fun. Yes, it does fly....no tickets so far. wish it had a VDC.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    "You're hooked, though, they do drive nicely, don't they? :o) "

Oh Yeah! Looking at figures, there is only roughly $2000 differnce between the 7 pass ltd Tribeca and the OB XT LTD, with the options I would want. I have no need for the DVD (even thought it is nice) and I have my Garmin StreetPiolt 2610 for NAV. I do like my creature comforts though, which is why both have leather, and the better sound. Who knows, hopefully by the time I'm ready to jump off the fence things will have been tweaked inthe right direction to make it easier. For now, I'm strapping myself to the fence before I do something foolish like have fun buying a new car :D

Mark
  • Options
    Tribeca is actually $1150 cheaper than the more equivalent Outback VDC.

They priced it right.

-juice
  • Options
    yeah, you could buy OB for 4-5k less & NOT tribeca.
  • Options
    suvsearchersuvsearcher Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Black 7 Passenger Limited B9 Tribeca, fully loaded (GPS, Rear DVD, Crossbars, etc) on Sunday for $36,400.

John
  • Options
    which dealer ?
  • Options
    rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Has anyone leased one? What were the terms you got?

Have decided on the Tribeca over the Legacy GT wagon, but am thinking lease because I'd really like to get a hybrid or something w/better gas mileage and think I'll have more choices in a few years. Maybe there will be a hybrid Tribeca given the agreement w/Toyota.

I'm looking at the 7 pass limited w/DVD + NAV.
  • Options
    Rates are favorable, the residuals on the Tribeca are excellent.

The e-mail offer they sent around was for just under $320 a month. I spoke to my buddy at the local dealer and he said lease rates went from $320-380 per month. $380 for a loaded-to-the-gills model is pretty amazing. A friend of mine leased an ML320 for about $600 a month a while back.

sweet_subie: for that price you'd give up some equipment, particularly VDC.

-juice
  • Options
    papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    I have finally taken delivery of my B9, and all of the anger, anxiety, and dissatisfaction of the pre-order "roll-out" have melted away. This is a spectacular vehicle at an even more spectacular price. I purchased a black/beige 7 passenger limited with every option and accessory offered, and the ride/comfort/performance etc. are that of a $50,000 vehicle. If you have doubts, lay them down and drive it. It is a joy!

Randy
  • Options
    jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I plan to trade my '02 Forester S+ ( 48k, excellent condition,well maintained, new tires and brakes) for a 5 passenger Ltd Tribeca between now and the end of the year. Given the fact that the Forester should not depreciate that much should I wait until initial demand slows and there may be some incentives, or look for a good deal now ? Should I expect to pay invoice or above? I am in Western Massachusetts, but would travel 300 - 400 miles if there is a significant price difference.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jerry
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Yeah but those numbers with significant down payment. Expect to pay $60 more for zero down leases.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Yep! Black 7P cloth! Black is an incredibly sharp color on most vehicles, IMO, this one is not an exception. Some of the front fascia's awkwardness is hidden by darker colors, as well.

I also enjoy that they just handed me the keys, usually Im not afforded that luxury, as stereotypes persist when a 23 yr old asks for a test drive. Love Flemington!

Curious- most of those here that are posting regarding their purchases- are you folks coming from other brands or are you trading up from other Subarus? Im really hoping that Subaru can nail some conquest sales with this model, and top the expectation of 17K units per year that Car and Driver stated was the internal barrier.

Joe
  • Options
    Joe

I suspect SOA and the dealers are more than a little eager to get people behind the wheel of the Tribeca. Once you've driven one, it gives you a whole new perspective on the vehicle. Also, while you may not be in the market at the moment, you might be later; and besides, you might be passing on the (positive) experience to others (like you just did here on Edmunds). ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Its even more than 60 a month. The lease requires 1999.00 down, plus 595.00 acquisition fee. Thats basically 2600 amortized over 36 months - which effectively makes the payment 72.00 per month more.

Also at the SOA site they do not describe equipment which usually means its a base mode with no options.

Last but not least the lease payment they show does not include sales tax.

Depending where you live to get the special lease price - you have to cough up a total between 4.5 to 6 K

Maybe it makes sense to lease buy check it out closely.
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Some thoughts (and some common sense ideas) for those of you out test driving:

1. Make them check the tire pressure while you are watching. The front should be 33, and the back 32, I believe (it’s on the driver’s door jam). It will make a HUGE difference in the ride.

2. Check your KBB trade-in value, and plan ahead. If my OB had just 80 more miles on it, the KBB would have dropped another $200, and I knew that earlier in the day. We just squeaked it in. I figured the 6-8 week wait time would have cost me more than the $250 difference overall on this deal in just mileage alone.

3. When possible, drive the car with a friend and withOUT a sales person. I know this is common sense, but it’s really crucial to get the know the vehicle on your own terms. Besides, no way could I have noticed everything all by myself. My passengers’ comments were a tremendous asset.

4. Check the gas gauge before you leave on a test drive...this might be a trick to keep you from going far!

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
  • Options
    Congrats Karen! :) I know you've been looking for some time. Enjoy the new ride, and keep us posted!

Bob
  • Options
    Congrats, Randy. My wife loved the black one she saw. That was her color choice. I'm a little OCD and black is hard to keep clean so we'll see.

Congrats to you too, Karen. Got a little impatient, eh? ;-)

That color combo would be near the top of my list, the blue should look good and the gray leather ought to wear well with heavy use.

Seems like the first batch of buyers traded in other brands, and the current batch is upgrading from existing Subies.

-juice
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    That's true and don't forget to add the interest. I wonder where juice got the $380 quote for fully loaded version.
  • Options
    I spoke to my dealer buddy that works there, visited him actually. That was when I first drove it, before Vally Forge.

He put emphasis on the residuals, which Subaru set pretty high, better than any Subie in the past.

-juice
  • Options
    The interest or money factor as they say with leases is built into the monthly payment they quote - so there is no add on for that.

I am sure he got it correctly but was not given all the details.

The main benefit of leasing for an individual buyer (no business deduction) is to get into a more expensive vehicle at a lower monthly payment with little or no out of pocket payments.
  • Options
    tracikaytracikay Member Posts: 12
    We traded up from a 2000 Forester. Our Tribeca is 7 Passenger Silver/Gry with DVD and Nav.