Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1998 GMC Jimmy - Transmission problem or computer problem?

postmortem01postmortem01 Posts: 2
edited May 2016 in GMC
I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy SLS. The automatic transmission was not shifting correctly. When I was accelerating or when the truck would shift to a lower gear while going up an incline, the truck would rev up and stay out of gear unless I let off on the gas.

I took it to a local mechanic that everyone at my work says is great. He said that I needed a transmission. I had him replace it with a rebuilt transmission. When I got it back 5 days later, the truck shifted worse than it had before. I took it back to him to repair. 5 days later, it was going EXACTLY the same thing as when I brought it in to him the first time.

After a very heated conversation with him, I asked him how that's possible. He said that the rebuilt transmission may have a problem and that he would replace it again at no charge. 5 days later, I picked up the truck and EXACTLY the same thing. I drove it back to him immediately and lost my temper.

I've been reading about issues similar to this online. Is it possible that there is just a problem with the shift computer?

Comments