Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

A Better Radio Knob Suggestion - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Toyota
A Better Radio Knob Suggestion - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

The EnTune touchscreen audio system in our 2016 Toyota Tacoma benefits from volume and tune knobs, but they're too short to find and use easily.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2016
    Why not try 3D Printing a new one?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Knobs and touch screens work well together. Chrysler does this well. GM has figured this out. Honda and Toyota have lost their ergonomic sense somewhere along the way from 1980's to today's infotainment.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    It seems that Toyota assumes that Tacoma drivers have thin and ballerina delicate fingers.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    ...with the fingernails trimmed short.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    nate001 said:

Interesting, but the necessary internal spline and the projecting tab that engages the detent could be problematic, no? I have to plead ignorance of the detailed capabilities and limitations of 3D scanning and printing.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    awddreaminawddreamin Member Posts: 7
    Knobs matter. The Volume knob on my GS350 F-sport feels like it's crafted in such a way like it belongs on a high end home audio stereo.
  • Options
    nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102

nate001 said:

Interesting, but the necessary internal spline and the projecting tab that engages the detent could be problematic, no? I have to plead ignorance of the detailed capabilities and limitations of 3D scanning and printing.

I don't have much experience 3D printing either, But, I think that printing something like this would not be too difficult if you start with a scan of the original

You could also have one made that fits over the current one since it is a simple circle. Since 3D printing is inexpensive you can make a few different versions and see what works best.