Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Repair cost for non-working "check engine light" - preventing car from passing smog req's in CA

chrissycoolchrissycool Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in Volkswagen
Have a 2000 Cabriolet with non-functioning "check engine" warning light. Cannot get it to pass inspection for smog because of this apparently. Been to two mechanics, both I know, and both informed me it will cost upwards of $600 to fix the light because of the location of this light. I was told it is behind the engine and they would have to remove it etc etc etc. How could something so mundane become such a large repair? I want to verify first of course that this would be the correct solution and the only solution before I fork out that pile of cash on a car possibly not worth the repair.
Can you please tell me exactly what the problem is called, where it is located, and if indeed it will cost two arms and a leg to remedy.
thank you in advance -

Comments

• ps. they also said this is a big issue with 2000 cabriolet cars. just an fyi
  • saratogastevesaratogasteve San Jose, CaPosts: 179
    sounds like a good question for Click and Clack
    I love those guys (guy now)