Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for May - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Honda
Fuel Economy Update for May - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Our 2016 Honda Civic Touring has thus far been a mild disappointment in the fuel-economy category. Would our May mileage nudge the Civic closer to the EPA's estimates?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Fuelly shows that this car has no problem living up to its EPA mileage. ratings.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yep. When traffic is light, I get 46 MPG even going 80 mph on the interstate. Pretty darn impressive for a 6.7 second 0-60 time without hybrid tech for $20k.
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    I love edmunds biases. Car is currently 15-20% below its combined MPG, but its honda so thats ok.
  • Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2016
    opfreak said:

I love edmunds biases. Car is currently 15-20% below its combined MPG, but its honda so thats ok.

No, it's not OK because it's Honda, it's OK because the main reason the lifetime average is low is because of atypical driving patterns early in the test.

They reported that their early driving was mostly city miles in LA, which is the perfect scenario for the worst gas mileage a car is likely to achieve. This of course adversely affects the average lifetime MPG as well. But now, driving what they call a "healthy mix", they've been able to improve the lifetime average to the level of the EPA city estimate (up 2 MPG from their March report). And their average for May matches the EPA combined number, which is just where it's supposed to be. Which also matches the reported lifetime average on Fuelly. As well as my personal lifetime average of 35 MPG.

Their comments, rather than being biased, reflect the reasonable approach of not unfairly slamming the Civic for the city biased driving earlier on in the test. Look at just about every number other than the admittedly skewed lifetime average achieved by Edmunds so far, and the Civic's real life MPG is right where it should be. Certainly, there are things for which the new Civic can be criticized, but based on most available numbers, fuel economy isn't one of them.