Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    My 2005 XLT SuperCrew with the 5.4 has been getting about 13 lately. More like what I was expecting--and up from the 11 I reported last time!
  • muser2muser2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Came across this web page on the effects of driving with the tail gate up or down, as well as having a camper shell on or off. I figured the camper shell on was bad for mileage, but according to this site the most efficient way to travel is with the tail gate up.

Here's the link: Tail Gate Up or Down?

Guess I'll go back to keeping the gate up.

Muser2
  • lawnboy2lawnboy2 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a F250 V8 and was wondering if anyone knew what I could expect as far as gas mileage goes. I am currently getting 8.3 mpg out of a 95 chevy diesel and its killing me. One factor with these mileages is that I do pull a 3000# trailer daily and do 80% city driving.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    You don't say whether it's 2x4 or 4x4, what type of transmission it has, or what the axle ratio is - 3.73 or 4.10. They make for a bit of a mileage difference - 4x2, 4.10 axle, manual tranny would be best; 4x4, auto, with the 3.73 will be the worst mileage. I'd say you could be anywhere from 7-10 mpg. My F350 CC, Long Bed, 4x4, auto, V10 - pulling 7600 lbs, only gets about 6 mpg in the city,and around 9-10 mpg on the highway - but I don't tow every day.

Superduty crew cab is a big beast and mileage isn't that great because the 5.4 has to work to get things moving. Pulling a trailer with it in the city, and you probably won't be getting much better mileage than the chevy diesel. You might also find the Ford a bit underpowered pulling a load in comparison to the diesel. Best power with the 5.4L is to have the 4.10 gears, also puts it preferred power band and gives best mileage.
  • creisolcreisol Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any MPG #'s for the 4.2L?
    I have been getting about 13.5-14.5 mpg in town with the air running and 18-19 on the highway running about 75 mph. This is in line with the window sticker and what I was expecting to get when I bought the truck.
  • creisolcreisol Member Posts: 6
    How do these compare in terms of gas mileage. 2wd preferably.
  • v6f150tdigolfv6f150tdigolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4.2L XL, 2wd, 8ft bed with an automatic and 3.55 gears in an open diff. Interstate travel with no load returns about 19MPG, that's between 70-75mph. Keep it under 65 and it gets 20mpg. With the bed at max payload (maybe overloaded) it can go as low as 15-16 in town.

Daily driving 80%hwy 20%town always gives us 19.5mpg.
    The only modification is Mobile One synthetic oil.
    I only rev the engine up when racing off a stoplight, otherwise it stays in overdrive, but I don't drive slow, just steady.
    That's interesting. I drive a SuperCrew with the 5.4L V8 and get just about the same mileage as you. My city driving usually runs about 14 with the air on, but that's about it.
  • samualmacsamualmac Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 2005 or 2006 crew cab F-350 with the 6.0 diesel with automatic. I would like to hear some real world fuel mileages with both 2WD and 4X4. I would also like to know if the 3.73 rear end will do substantially better than the 4.10. Please respond if you have any words of wisdom.
    Thanks
  • uchmanuchman Member Posts: 1
    I have an F-150, Auto Trans, Short Bed, Standard Cab. Tire pressure is right on, air filter clean, spark plugs changed and I even am running true dual exhaust. Also change the oil about 2 to 3 thousands miles intervals.

Within the first 6 months it got on the e-way about 21 MPG. Now, at 73,000 I can hardly get 17 MPG.

Looking for a solution.......found any?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    After all that, I would suspect the trans. A good flush, band adjustment, and trans filter change should give you back an mpg or 2.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Or it could easily be attributed to the changeover to a 10% Ethanol mix that has replaced the MTBE additive. Everybody's getting fewer miles per gallon these days.. no matter what you drive.
  • monkeybizmonkeybiz Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 ford f-350 king ranch crew cab dually 4x4 long bed 6.0 diesel. I am on my 2nd tank (the truck only has 400 miles on it) and its only averaging 9.5 mpg and I have a tonneau cover on it. I don’t tow anything and the miles are mixed and I have had the ac on all the time. The first tank I babied it and I was only getting 8 and change and I been driving a little harder and getting better mpg. I think the gears that came with it are 4.10. Also is it true that with time the mpg will improve if so when. Is there anything that I can do to improve mpg?

Thanks
  • pstroke6pstroke6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 F250 6.0 powerstoke 4x4 supercab with 1400 miles and every 1/3 tank I have check mileage (approx 5 times) and I average 13.5-14.5 mpg this being all 10-20 mile trips.
  • klaussklauss Member Posts: 4
    I go real easy on the throttle and get 13-14 mpg. I did expect at least 16-17. Would a tonnau cover help much?
    In a word: No. I have a 2005 SuperCrew 2WD with the 5.4 and I get 13-14 mpg in city driving with the a/c blasting--and I have a fiberglass tonneau cover.

Which model/engine do you have? I will admit that I'm not real easy on the throttle (although I'm not a real fast driver, either).
  • klaussklauss Member Posts: 4
    I have the 5.4 V8 4x4. Had a 2 wd Tundra which was nice, but I need 4x4 for my mountain trips. You really start to think about the mpg when you buy new. Overall, I love the truck though.
    I love my truck as well. As much as I am not happy about my gas mileage, I would not have bought the truck if I was overly concerned about it, either. I would have bought something much smaller with a much smaller engine.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I own a 1999 F250 w/ V10 and 3 speed tranny and OD . I am seriously considering purchase of 2007 F250 w/V10. I currently get 13 mpg on the road driving very carefully. Have any improvements in efficiency been made, especially with 5 speed tranny? City MPG and towing are not too important in my situation.
    They've improved things a lot since '99. With a new valve train, intake and exhaust, the engine develops about 35% more torque and horsepower than yours, with about a 10% improvemwent in mileage. Unfortunately, 10% better than poor, is still poor mileage.
  • gino55gino55 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1998 F150 4wd V8 4,6L with just 71k miles on it, very clean but the last weekend when I try to use the 4H, I noticed that the lever was stucked on 2H and I can't move to 4H or 4L, any suggestions, please help me.

I'm also Getting 12-13 MPG city. Poor mileage isn't it??.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Thank you for your quick reply. Yesterday I visisted the Ford dealer, and he strongly recommended the V8. Looking at the gross hauling numbers, I believe the V8 my be acceptable. Anyone have any thoughts on highway efficiency with the V8? Maybe I need to explain: twice a year I drive X-country empty, then pull my 5th wheel only about 300 miles.
    Thanks in advance
  • charltonscharltons Member Posts: 2
    How can I tell what my axle ratio is on my f250? Is it on the vin, or on the data plate? Any way other than jacking it up and turning the wheels would be nice. Thanks.
    You don't say what year your truck is. For '99 and up Superduties, the axle code is on the vehicle certification sticker on the lower doorpost behind the driver's door. That code tells you axle ratio and if it's limited slip or not. The only code-breaker I know is in the Helm shop manual. Here it is for a 2005 F-350 PSD DRW:

37 = 3.73 non-limited slip
    4L = 4.30 limited slip
    4N = 4.10 limited slip

For an older truck, crawl underneath and look at the rear differential. There should be a copper tag attached to the differential cover. The axle code should be stamped on the tag in some form.
  • charltonscharltons Member Posts: 2
    sorry about the year. It's a 2003. sb ext cab. thanks.
  • schleebschleeb Member Posts: 3
    With 2600 miles. 5.4L V8 extended cab 3.73 rear-end, and running Modile 1 Synthetic engine oil:

12-13mpg with stop and go only
    14.4mpg mixed hwy and city
    16.3 mpg on a 250 mile trip with cuise on 90% of the time going 60-70mph.

I'm not impressed... I want my 18mpg hwy like the sticker says. I'm affraid that will only happen at 55mph on the interstate hwy in North Dakota.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    250/16 mpg is 15.63 gallons x $2.50 per gallon = $39.06
    250/18 mpg is 13.63 gallons x $2.50 per gallon = $34.72

Difference was $4.32

Mark.
  • slorydn1slorydn1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x2, 5.4L V-8 with the 3.55 Limited slip rear axle. My gas mileage from March 1, 2004 through February 25, 2007 (I've been too lazy to add my latest slips to my spread sheet) is 13.898 MPG. This encompasses every type of trip from going around the corner to make my kids come home to several 1700 mile round trips to Miami and back, up to the 48455 miles my truck had on it up until that date. I bought it with 4 miles on it.
    My best average ever was 20.041 mpg on a trip from Asheville, NC to New Bern, NC (most of which was down hill)
    and my worst ever was 10.357 MPG when the truck was brand new and wasn't broken in yet. Right now I am pretty consistently in the 13.2-13.3 range around town and 17.5-18.5 range on the open road.
  • fordz1fordz1 Member Posts: 24
    I am going to purchase a 2008 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 LB. My family and I will tow a Fifth Wheel weighing 10,276 lbs unloaded about 3 times a month during the summer, and once or twice a month the rest of the year. I am not going to do any modifications to the truck it will remain stock. What MPG are other 2008 F250/350 drivers getting?
    SInce you said "gas mileage" I'm assuming you're buying a gasoline engine. Next question V8 or V10?
    I have decided to get the diesel because of the towing, and would like to know the MPG for that engine.
  • lukenluken Member Posts: 3
    My Diesel F350 2008 is getting around 8Miles to the Gallon (not a misprint)...under load Ford is telling people to expect around 6MPG...but there is one post I read that states betweem 4MPG and 6MPG...and I arent joking.

I have hired a lawyer to try and get my money back from them (Ford)...I have 600Miles on it, and I am furious...it is truly insane...that means with your fith-wheel, you will need to fuel up everu 100 - 150Miles...
    What and how much are you hauling?
  • 1208212082 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody experienced decreased mileage when using this new low sulphur fuel?
  • pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    Get a 07 while you can. the 08's are very hard on fuel. the 07's are easily modified to stay in the teens while towing. the '08s are too new and have not been proven. stick with the '07. or find a '05 or '06 5.9 dodge diesel. they get the best mileage of the big 3. i have an '06 and get 10-13 mpg while towing my 15k lbs 37 ft 5th wheel. good luck
    When I was looking to purchase I was unable to find an 07 Crew Cab in my area. Went to several different Dealers to search available inventory and couldn't find anything. The 05-06 are gone pretty quick as well. I hope the 6.4L will get better during break in and mileage will improve into the mid teens while towing and higher when empty.
    Best MPG from the Dodge may be but it is the weakest diesel offered by any of the big three.

In our training video for the New 6.4L, they have a hill climb demo vs the Chevy and the Doge with a loaded trailer. The Ford beats the Chevy and the Dodge. Just to make things fair, they gave the Dodge a 5 sec headstart and it still lost.

Mark.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not a fair comparison without knowing things like transmission used, axle ratios, and tire size.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • pssamplepssample Member Posts: 7
    Owner of 2008 F250, 4x4, 6.4L since March;
    my gas mileage is consistently 12.6 mpg, after 3850 miles.

Towing a boat reduces to 9 mpg. Don't expect it to get any better than this. Very disappointed in mpg. That said, this thing is a hot rod w/ 350 hp. I still love the vehicle though.
  • ford_loverford_lover Member Posts: 1
    hey all i was wondering how much MPG the 2000-2002 F250 diesel with extended cab cause i cant find anything on it thanks
  • danuarydanuary Member Posts: 2
    Bought an 08 F250 PSD yesterday... Lariat, crew cab, 4x4. I love it so far, it's just a fantastic truck.

In the 100 or so miles I've driven so far, I've gotten about 13 mpg. Given some of the horror stories I've seen elsewhere I'm reasonably content with this -- granted, I've been driving fairly sedately while I get used to the size of this thing, but it's been a mix of city running errands and highway at 70mph.

I'm hoping that it only gets better from here as the truck breaks in, but I do intend to get a chip (programmer) with an 'economy' settings -- any recommendations?
    If you mod this engine with some part produced by some fly by night company that spend probably about 2 weeks engineering the part, you wil BE OUT OF WARRANTY if the part causes damage to the engine.

Fords Official Position on this engine is NOT TO MOD IT. You should have signed a form at the dealer when you took delivery outlining your understand of this and other items regarding this engine.

Mark.
  • danuarydanuary Member Posts: 2
    Based on what I saw and signed, I don't think that's correct.

The form that I signed said that chipping or reprogramming the chip in place does NOT inherently void the warranty and that warranty services would be denied only in the case that whatever I was claiming service on failed -because- of the modification. Seems to be an entirely reasonable policy to me.

I've already done a substantial amount of research on the subject and feel as a (reasonably) intelligent guy that I can determine the difference between the folks putting significant engineering expertise into building programmers, and the folks that don't. I was merely asking what others use, if they use similar products, and what works for them.
  • rburkerburke Member Posts: 2
    08 SD SB books states 30 gallon tank. Drove truck to empty could not put more than 25 gallons in tank. computer said 16 miles to empty the fuel gauge was pegged in the red. Anyone experiencing the same and if so what can be done.
    Do you mean Empty as you drove the truck utill it stalled?My experience is that indicated empty or 0 miles to empty leaves a 15% reserve.

Mark
  • rburkerburke Member Posts: 2
    No not stalled. I had an 05 sb 26 gallon tank it would alert @ 50 miles to empty just as this one does. But when you ran it to say 20 miles to empty you would put 24 gallons in the tank. This one at 16 miles to empty holds only 25 and that is cramming it in. However as you state that is 17% reserve but what good is the alert at 50 miles and then 125 miles of reserve. Of all the cars with this fuel computer this is the only one that was not fairly close to being out when you ran it down to 15 miles to empty. thnks
  • mattrockmattrock Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 f 250 crewcab fx4 with the 5.4 gas motor and im getting 10 mpg in town and 15 mpg on the highway. and thats driving like a grand ma. any help with increase??
  • pjw72pjw72 Member Posts: 1
    cost of chip $1200
    cost of fuel to beat BMW from 0-100mph - $4
    cost of new PSD because ford voided your warranty after you beat BMW - $19,000
    cost of look on your face :-O - PRICELESS

Ford has put in flash electronic recording systems and even if you remove your chip the black box will record all engine conditions and Ford will know what have you done. These engines are pushing over 20psi - in some cases as high as 35psi through the turbos. They will void your warranty in a second.

Enjoy your truck as a stock vehicle. Also, these engines need 10-20K miles for break in. MPG will go to 16-18 based on driving habbits.
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    I bought my 08 F250 4x4 regular cab,long bed,6.4 deisel,6speed manual on 8/22/07. I have put 2506.1 miles on it.I have averaged 13.1mpg so far. Best tank full 14.46mpg and worst 12.02mpg towing nothing. 1 highway trip of 1243 miles "normal driving" 70 to 85 mph. I am a little disappointed with the MPGs but it sure is a nice ride