Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• Options
    inboxnewsinboxnews Member Posts: 2
    I just saw a Mazda cx-7 for the first time at Costco. It immediately grabbed my interest. I went online and found reviews (shortcut posted here: http://www.inboxnews.com/story/504/). The reviews I read are great. I want to buy one but the dealer that works with Costco told me the only way I could get it was with $3,000 chrome wheels! I don't want chrome wheels, I like the stock ones. I've called around and am getting the same message at other dealers. Is there anyway I could buy this car w/out this upgrade? I'm in California. Thanks.
  • Options
    speedsecspeedsec Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I've wondered about the dashboard being large and black, and if that invites more heat from the sun into the passenger cabin. I tried to get a tan dashboard, but all CX-7's come with the standard black dashboard (less reflective in the winshield, I guess). I don't have a sunroof, but thanks for the suggestion. I also wonder if humidity levels change how the A/C works, because it was suggested that the evaporator works better when it is in recirculate mode.

I talked to an independent air condition shop, and they said that in recirculate mode, you should be able to get the temperature into the high 30s coming out of the vent, so the 42 my car achieved sounds high. I'm going to have the dealership do a full test of the system to make certain it's working perfectly, and see if that makes any difference. But the independent shop did say that it was not unusual with newer models to have to use the recirculate mode frequently. For what it is worth, they also said that Honda and Toyota had the coldest A/C systems in general. I never knew there was any difference between manufacturers.
  • Options
    speedsecspeedsec Member Posts: 9
    FYI, I checked multiple dealerships in two different cities in Texas, and was told not to expect any discount to MSRP at this time. These cars are too new and inexpensively priced to the similar looking Murano or FX35s. Also, their production run is not scheduled to be very big, so this model year they may not be that easy to find.

The review did not come up with the address you posted, by the way.
  • Options
    sukispeedsukispeed Member Posts: 27
    here is the link title

Inboxnews, Don't buy something @ costco, with the extras when you can go to the Mazda dealer and get what you want. What does costco offer that a dealer can not? better financing? always shop around.
  • Options
    wwxmanwwxman Member Posts: 32
    Thanks, keep us posted on whether any tweaks are required for the AC.

Nevertheless, what an awesome vehicle. The instrument cluster is the coolest thing I've ever seen (esp at night), high tech, but not arcade like. Mazda did just a tremendous job. The only mistake is putting in a lowpriced entry-level version. The low end price invites comparisons to the CRV and Rav 4, but IMO there is no comparison. The Murano is comparable, but the CX-7 has the styling flair and "wow" factor of the FX-35. Truth is that one of the most comparable vehicles is the Subaru Tribeca -- which gives Subaru its first vehicle in the premium vehicle catagory. BUT, when you put in all the options in an AWD GT with NAV (comparble to a Std. Subi w/ Nav), its less than a $2000 differential in real dollars --more than explained by the Subi's larger size. No doubt, the top of the line Mazda should positioned as a premium SUV crossover, and at 33K and change (what I paid), it easily could be.
  • Options
    wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Uhhh.. I beg to differ on what the dealerships may be telling you guys.

After going through the hassle of dealing with the dealerships INSIDE the city limits of Houston, I was actually able to get my CX-7 on the S Plan!

Two dealerships were actually willing to do the S Plan, both on the outside of town, and the dealer I bought from actually did a dealer trade from a dealer who REFUSED to do a plan on a vehicle that was on their lot! {pre-orders only, they said...}

My MSRP was $31,035... my purchase price was $29,008 {invoice} plus TTL.
    Just one of the benefits of working for a company that buys a lot of Fords! :blush:

It may take a little bit of effort but if you ask for the General Manager or the Salesmanager and not the regular staff, you MIGHT be able to get a deal.

For the guy who's getting hosed by the dealers in California; order one with the options just the way you want it or go out of town and buy one, but don't stand for this $3,000 upgrade on wheels, that's insane...

Like P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute."
    Don't be one... For all of our sakes!
  • Options
    Mazda had to honor the S plan, very specific rules. Good for you! As to discounts, you can definately get them on all but the top of the line GT with Nav. Most dealerships got only one (or at most a few such) such vehicles and they go within a few days. In fact, you can do an inventory serch on Mazda's web site. This vehicle is the hottest of the hot. Even on this car, if your a good negotiator, you can get a FEW bucks off (eg $300-$500), but don't expect more until inventory goes up or demand down. It's simple supply and demand. In my situation, I was prepared to buy a much more expensive vehicle (FX-35), but liked this car as much. I knew going in I wasn't getting a big discount unless I was willing to wait. I wasn't.
  • Options
    honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    In my case, I went on the Mazda website, found all the dealerships that were getting the vehicle I wanted, and wrote a little letter explaining I was contacting each dealership once and only once, asking for their price in terms of markup over invoice, if there were any additional fees (doc prep, etc), how much additional they'd charge if they had to trade with another dealer to get the vehicle, etc.

I faxed this letter with an easy to fill out table that listed all that stuff so they could just jot down some numbers and comments and fax it back.

I ended up with an AWD GT w/Nav for invoice. I had to drive 100 miles to get it, but it was worth it. At closing, the finance guy wanted to tack on some charges, but since they didn't appear in the quote I got back, they were waived.

I did this awhile ago, before dealers had any CX-7s on their lots. Now that they do and have an idea how they're selling and how fast (or slow) they're trickling in, it might not help as much.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Same situation in the DC area, Northern VA area. Checked several dealers and none would budge from MSRP. In fact, one dealer added a demand markup, which I rejected. So, from another dealer, I ordered the Copper Mica, Grand Touring AWD w/tech package, front/rear splash guards, Autodim mirror and SIRIUS. Financed for $35,076 (tax, tags, doc fees, and GAP) with ETA 6/28/06.

BTW, What is the "S Plan"?

Vince.
  • Options
    I think S plan pricing is either what employees get or what family and Ford/Mazda partners get.

I used to qualify for it when I was an employee of a company partnered with Ford for supply chain management.

I think it's basically invoice plus a markup that varies per vehicle, but ends up being like a few hundred dollars.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I've already negotiated the contract for delivery.

Vince.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, even fitzmall.com has MSRP value price, though internet prices are a couple hundred off. Some high-end models are marked up above MSRP!

I'd say if you can get a discount right now, you did well.

-juice
  • Options
    cx7byercx7byer Member Posts: 9
    Which do you think is a better by for the money; Subaru B9 Tribeca or Mazda Cx-7? I recently discovered the Tribeca and am currently considering both.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The B9 Tribeca does have an available 3rd row seat. Also, it is a bit more money then the CX-7. The Tribeca starts at $30,000, and if you want the 3rd row, they start at around $32,400 and the AWD CX-7 starts around $26,000. You can get a CX-7 GT w/moon roof and Bose audio for just over $30,000. If you want to spend less money, then the CX-7 would be your best bet.

The Tribeca does have a more advanced AWD system, but, all the road tests so far on the CX-7 have showed the CX-7 to have supreme handling and braking. The CX-7 is more sporty as well.

If you wanted to go the 3rd row route, you may want to wait until the CX-9 comes out.
  • Options
    Mazda had to honor the S plan, very specific rules

Actually, it is the dealers discresion whether to accept S Plan. They do not have to.
  • Options
    jbuswelljbuswell Member Posts: 16
    I've had my CX-7 FWD Sport for almost 2 weeks now, after reading through the comments I thought I'd pass along some of my experiences.

MPG -- The MPG on the CX-7 started off around 15 mpg, second tank of gas got about 18 mpg, third tank 22 mpg, and with this last tank, around 25 mpg. That is with 93 octane BP. Think its a combination of breaking the car in, and getting a handle on driving it without accelerating too quickly.

Auto Lock -- My CX-7 (Sport) auto locks, seems to be the same auto lock feature that was on the Mazda 6s. I probably should read the manual about it. It seems with the car (off), if you unlock, but don't start the ignition, the doors will relock within a few minutes.

A/C -- No trick to the A/C it runs cold. On a really warm (90F+) day, fan on 4, A/C on, draw air from the outside, then after a few minutes, circulate the air inside (button).

Discounts -- Don't pay MSRP, when I got my CX-7 dealers barely had the fully loaded AWD Grand Touring, nobody had the FWD/AWD Sport. Some dealers told me "we won't budge from MSRP", some wanted me to "bid" on the model they had, etc. I did some reading, test drove one, and came up with a list of "issues" with the CX-7. These issues are :

a) Rear Bumper potentially weak (rated for the bare minimum)
    b) Poor gas milage (seems to be a symptom in the first 800 miles)
    c) Speedometer has no 5 mph markings, very hard to keep it at 55 accurately
    d) Possible a/c issues
    e) Requires very expensive 91 octane (or higher) gasoline

Armed with dealer invoice and Mazda's hold back rate on MSRP. I fired off some emails. Dealers will deal if you reference the above issues, you know the invoice, and if you know what other dealers have vehicles in stock. I had to drive about 150 miles to get mine, but I got the thing for a little over invoice, 10/100000 warranty, and after tax and title, the entire thing was still under the MSRP at another dealer.

The dealer "demand" thing is a ploy, nothing more. After I bought the CX-7, I had 6 dealers all leave me voicemail (at least twice a day), each voicemail offering better deals. I ended up passing two of them along to some friends who wanted a CX-7 after seeing mine. The dealer i originally test drove the CX-7 at, still has that CX-7, been 2 weeks and its still not sold.

Dealers have these things, just shop around.
  • Options
    The CX-7 has a very cool passenger airbag feature. If a child (my case 12 year old nephew) sits in the front seat, the CX-7 determines if they are too small for the airbag system, and automatically turns off the passenger side airbags. Very cool...
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, all Mazda's do that. It is a nice feature.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,952
    alot of cars do that. Our Honda Pilot did that, my Accord does it, and our Pacifica does it. I think its becoming a standard thing (if its not already).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I know it's not a good reason to buy a car, but I like it when people approach me in parking lots or at the gas station to compliment me on my CX-7 and ask about it because they've never seen one before.

It's been happening a fair amount. :)
  • Options
    Autolock feature requires computer programing at the dealership. Takes 45 min or so. Had mine done today; the feature is simple. If you walk away form the vehicle with the smart key, the doors lock without having to touch the transmitter.

On price, I disagree somewhat. Yes, deals can be had, but you need to wait or work at it. I live in NJ and wanted to make the purchase on Saturday. Checked inventory at 5 dealerships. Only 2 had the loaded GT and each had only one. The inventories showing at other dealerships were sold already. When I went to the dealership, I was armed with everything, but they weren't going to give me a "deal" that day. I got about $500 off sticker, and frankly felt lucky. If I walked and the vehicle didn't sell, I might have gotten a call, but I didn't want to wait. Incidently, another guy approached me while my vehicle was being cleaned, and said he would have bought it if I didn't.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't forget we have a Mazda CX-7: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion where you can post your pricing info in one handy spot.

Please, no names of individual salespeople when you post about your dealer experiences (that helps reduce shill posts). Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    EXACTLY!!!

Nowhere is written that the dealership HAS to accept the S Plan. It's
    totally up to the participating dealers. In my case the dealerships in
    Houston flat out refused to do the S Plan until they've had the units
    for roughly three to four months, OR if you preordered an incoming
    vehicle with a six week window minimum!

All that being said I tip my hat to the good people
    of Gullo Mazda in Conroe, TX for going above and beyond to get me the
    CX-7 I really wanted.

By the by; Copper Red Mica GT w/ Tech Package & Black Interior. :shades: I did
    get Sirius and the Homelink mirror in Aftermarket, no discounts on that
    though...

For the record: S Plan is INVOICE, no mark ups, but you DO have to pay
    the documentation fees {$50}.

I'm only saying this because I want as many educated buyers out there
    as we can get, and maybe they'll share whatever tips they get for others
    as well.

Good luck Gang!!! ;)
  • Options
    How much did you pay for the Sirius? My dealer wants to charge upwards of $400 PLUS installation.
  • Options
    The Tribeca is a lot bigger, compare it to the CX9, which also has a 6 cylinder.

CX7 is closer to the Forester XT, which is also a 4 cylinder turbo and more compact.

-juice
  • Options
    dave90dave90 Member Posts: 27
    Actually the size of the Tribeca seems closer to the CX-7 (though it sits taller). The CX-9 is much larger than Tribeca.

Tribeca - 108.2" wheelbase, 189.8" length, 73.9" width

CX-7 - 108.3" wheelbase, 184" length, 73.7" width

CX-9 - 113.2" wheelbase, 199.7" length, 76.2" width

Actually, looking at the numbers, the CX-9 seems very big.
  • Options
    dave90dave90 Member Posts: 27
    Oops, should have included Forester

Forester - 99.4" wheelbase, 176.6" length, 68.1" width.

Really a very small vehicle, but very boxy so it has good usable space.
  • Options
    That sounds about right. It is not cheap. Dealer cost is somewhere around $400 or so.
  • Options
    BTW, What is the "S Plan"?

S Plan is dead invoice, no mark up. Tax,title, DMV, dealer fees extra.

Ford vehicle umbrella, and various companies that have a discount deal worked out with Ford Mo Co. We do a lot of S Plan deals from people with IBM, IBM is quite prevelant in my area.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Judging by the reader's comments about the S Plan in this forum, sounds like not too many people can take advantage of it and of those who do, the benefits are minor (as they pertain to the CX-7).

Vince.
  • Options
    Exterior is bigger, but inside the CX7 didn't seem any roomier than my Forester. I looked closely, too, because I was considering it.

Mazda chose style over space, which is probably OK for the target market.

-juice
  • Options
    Mazda chose style over space, which is probably OK for the target market Style is the biggest reason I chose the CX-7. Couple styling with a fair amount of cargo space, plus performance specs - a winning combo in my mind!

Vince.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    You're right about the exterior measurements, but the Tribeca is a much larger vehicle on the inside than the CX-7. Which is better is going to depend on how you plan to use the vehicles.

From my perspective, I think the turbo Forester is the closer competitor for the CX-7. The Mazda has a larger back seat, and the Soob is much faster, but they are otherwise quite similar (cargo, price, equipment, etc.).
  • Options
    Mazda says that only premium is used in the CX-7.

What would happen if the CX-7 ran on regular? Decreased performance? Damage to the engine?

It'd be interesting if Mazda engineers could chime in and participate in the response.

Thanks, Vince.
  • Options
    I would say the Forester has more practical use for a number of jobs that require cargo space, like Home Depot runs and such.

The Forester is rather narrow, fitting 3 in the back is tough, with not much leg room.

I have not put 3 people in the back of the CX-7 yet, I suppose I should try and see how that goes.

Also, look at someone sitting in the CX-7, and you will see that the driver is seated almost in the middle of the vehicle. Mazda definalty went for driving dynamics and sports car like look. I would say it fits their overall theme of how they think vehicles should be. I happen to like it.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Paint protector is not a good idea in the beginning. You want allow time for the paint to dry thoroughly deep down. Check the Mazda Protegé (Forum) Maintenance pages for what other owners have used. The paint Mazda uses on the CX-7 is the same formula used in the past.

Hand wash, don't let soap dry on the surfaces, rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean terry towel.

Apply a good quality wax which has no cleaners. Never use wax with abrasives.

Then use a good polish. On dark colors and black avoid swirls when polishing and waxing. See the Protegé Forum for more detail.

To make cleaning disc brake dust off the alloys easier apply a coat of wax as soon as possible, before it starts to build up. I didn't look at the alloys closely -- some wheels have a clear coat finish so you don't want the disc dust to build up and have to scrub to remove it.

fowler3
  • Options
    Mazda says that only premium is used in the CX-7.

What would happen if the CX-7 ran on regular? Decreased performance? Damage to the engine?

I hope this answers your question. I got this straight from Mazda's "quick tips" manual from the CX-7.

"If 91 octane fuel is not available, fuel as low as 87 octane can be used temporarily for emergency purposes, use of lower then 91 octane can decrease performance and deteriorate shift quality, refueling vehicle with correct octane fuel a couple of times will restore vehicle performance and shift quality"

I take this as no long term damage will be done with use of a lower grade fuel.
  • Options
    Paint protector is not a good idea in the beginning. You want allow time for the paint to dry thoroughly deep down

What would be a good time for the paint to "dry thoroughly deep down"? This car is made in Japan, and takes 2 months to get here once it rolls off the factory line. I would think 2 months to let paint cure is long enough.
  • Options
    Go to a car wash which has the spray hoses. Take a plastic bucket, car soap, and a big sponge with you. Wet the car and soap it to loosen the dirt, then rinse. Dry with a clean terry towel or shamus.

Find a shady place to apply wax.

fowler3
  • Options
    It probably is. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    Another question:

They're only available on the Grand Touring model, which I ordered.

How are these different than halogen lamps? I've never heard of them and I don't think I've seen any in use.

Vince.
  • Options
    No, No, No rotating brushes! And no felt straps either. They hold a lot of grit.

In the old days before acrilic paint when BMW used laquer I ruined the finish on my beemer running it through a car wash with brushes. It came out the other end covered with spiderweb scratches. And on silver it looked terrible. Regret it to this day.

Also, for those who buy the Touring model with the almost-white leather -- be sure to clean the back seat often. The reason is, if you have the moonroof open often it acts as an airscoup and road grime (oily asphalt dust) kicked up by cars in front of you will go right on to the back seat. Then when passengers sit back there they get it on their clothes and also IN the leather. I learned this the hardway too.

fowler3
  • Options
    You have seen them many times and not known it. HID are the very bright, white-light headlamps often seen on luxury cars. They project a beam which cuts off sharply ahead of the car, as opposed to halogen which fades off softly and has an orange light. HID provide brighter illumination. They take getting use to.

fowler3
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "In the old days before acrilic paint when BMW used laquer I ruined the finish on my beemer running it through a car wash with brushes."

I would never take a bike through a car wash in the first place!

Beemer = bike
    Bimmer = car :shades:

But, you're right about contact car washes. Unfortunately high pressure hoses are not enough. They'll get the first layer of dust off, but that's about it. Bring your own bucket and clean rags. Then use their hoses for wetting and rinsing.
  • Options
    Varmint on a beemer going through a car wash on a HOT day -- great way to cool down. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    Where I live we do not have "do it yourself" car wash bays. All there are is brushless car washes, or "touchless car washes" I go to the touchless ones. High power spray with soap, no brushes. The workers do soap it up with soft sponges. Or, I spend my Sunday afternoon washing and waxing...."wax on...wax off..." :shades:
  • Options
    That's about right... All totalled the Sirius unit is roughly 700.00 installed.

The thing is, there's a backlog on the darn things, and I'm waiting now til the 30th for arrival time, and another FIVE days for a day off to get it installed! :mad:
  • Options
    Ah, you did it all wrong :) Dealers are out to get the MAXIMUM amount of money they can while not losing the sale, they will do ANYTHING, say ANYTHING. If you go in there honest, you're just going to get walked on. The trick is not to go to the dealership without the deal, sure you want the car NOW, the dealer is banking on that, and playing on the fear that you won't get one if you don't buy at their terms. Thats complete BS! If your not IN their dealership, they will do anything to get you there, remember you can buy the car in a dozen places if you are willing to drive a bit. You can negotiate the deal on the phone or via email. The best approach is to say something like "Other dealer XYZ just got in a shipment of new CX-7s, they're about 45 minutes further away, but they do have in stock but with some extra options I don't need. I guess I would settle for the CX-7 you have in silver if I could get the right deal. Their best price was around as I'm a return customer". Sure it might not be entirely honest, but you know what, it'll save you a bunch of cash. If they don't deal, don't go in. A few days later, they'll be calling you when the things don't sell.
  • Options
    Check Edmunds for the dealer's cost, what the dealer buys it for from the factory. Check the tax, title and registration costs and figure those in the total. Then make an offer.

Don't expect too low a price for a new car in demand.

You want the "Out the Door Price", not PLUS doc fees PLUS TTI, etc. I see people posting here. Negotiate the total price. And definately not dealer installed options LATER. Add those to the total cost and include them in the financing. Car loan interest is lower than buying an option later with a credit card.

If you get a discount offer be SURE it is on the Bill of Sale, take the time to read it BEFORE signing it. Often, those "discounts" mysteriously disappear on paper as if they were written in a special ink that evaporates.

There are two separate deals going on: You are buying a car and the dealer is buying a car -- your old model. Keep them separate. Don't be in a hurry, you have the rest of your life to drive the new car.

Determine what the dealer will sell the new car for, THEN negotiate the amount for your car. Be sure you are not taxed twice on your car. You paid the tax on it when you bought it and it should be shown on the Bill of Sale as a deducted amount from the tax on the new car. The price of your car deducted from the new car's price, then the new car's tax is figured.

Negotiate the doc fee. Does it really cost $300 for the lady upstairs to type up the bill of sale? Don't buy undercoating, paint protectant, and other intangible vaporware. If a dealer says you HAVE TO take a certain package or he won't sell the car -- WALK OUT. You are a customer NOT a victom! Some dealers don't know the difference.

And check the "hold back" percentage dealers get from the factory. If you are paying close to MSRP talk down those perks. They are going to make it back in the service department over the next three years.

fowler3
  • Options
    Question for you, wjbusher: was that SIRIUS factory installed or dealer installed?

I ordered by CX7, due in around 6/28. Pre-ordered SIRIUS before the car left Japan...$400.00. That's why I'm asking the question. $700.00 is pretty steep.

Vince.