Options

Saturn Aura

Comments

• Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The cars are the same mechanically, its that simple. I do not own a G6 but I like the car. I like both cars really, but people are trying to act like the Aura is a completely new and separate model. The interior is better, but I like the gauges of the G6 better. I do wish the G6 had the new GM radio.
  • Options
    chrisl0chrisl0 Member Posts: 114
    I don't know the Aura also looks bigger.
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    The Camry and ES330 are the same mechanically also but few would say they are the same car.
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    actually this is the G6 interrior, what you have is the '05...

Saying the G6 and Aura are the same car is not giving GM enough credit for really differentiating these cars. The Aura will be bigger and have some different features, plus a v6 standard.

I hate the fact they don't have a mav system, and cornering headlights (LEAD GM, STOP FOLLOWING AND MAKE IT BETTER) but other stuff is great, you cannot tell these are the same cars by looking at them, inside or out, you have to be an auto buff to know the similarities. Its great from every perspective.

GM saves money and we get the choice of completely different cars.
  • Options
    chrisl0chrisl0 Member Posts: 114
    I agree with you the Aura and G6 look far different. Don't worry about the nav system they will probably add it in the next model year. Thats what Ford did with the 500 and Fusion.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Having seen both, I can tell you while the G6 interior is decent, the Aura's interior is a step above.

I think the Aura could be my next car, an XR test drive will answer that for sure. From the sound of the test drives, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    chircoking86chircoking86 Member Posts: 6
    I saw the Aura for the first time on the road the other day. Looked nice, but i have to say i dont know how it will compare against the VW Jetta, Honda Accord, or Mazda 6. The G6 to me looked like a sportier car. Hopefully the Aura has what it takes to compete, id love to see it succeed. And get rid of those ugly chrome door handles. They take away from the style of the car.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Well I drove A Aura XR 3.6 today.

Overall, it was a nice car, but I'm looking for something more rewarding to drive. The steering feel was numb and the car felt very heavy. I drove aggressively down my favorite twisty road and I was disappointed. It just wasn't an engaging drive. It felt like it was fighting me more than encouraging me to drive fast.

Acceleration isn't an issue. The car just bolts off the line easily spinning the tires. The 3.6 is definitely strong, I expected a more refined sound, but it was smooth. But, torque steer was an issue on certain roads. It really pulled to the right when flooring it at 40 mph. It wasn't to bad from a dead stop, but it did want to wander back and forth, reminding me why rwd is better in high power applications.

I liked the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but scratch my head on why no redline is on the tach. Manual mode worked as it should. Letting me hit the rev limiter and only downshifting for me when coming to a stop.

I'd like to hear other comments from others on the interior. It looked good except for the center console cup holders and storage lid armrest. It was extremely cheap and flimsy.

Also the model I test drove had a squeak in the dash, which did nothing to make me think the car was built for the long haul.

Regardless, I think it's a good car, I was just hoping I could walk away saying it was great. I don't know if I'll buy one or not. It's not exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    One of the reviews I saw the guy stated this was the best handling sedan he had driven. I'm guessing it's not on par with luxury marks, but I would have to guess it would be better than Camcords ect.
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I am not sure that "luxury" marks are great handling.
  • Options
    One of the reviews I saw the guy stated this was the best handling sedan he had driven. I'm guessing it's not on par with luxury marks, but I would have to guess it would be better than Camcords ect.

Yeah, I read that article too. After a long test drive, the hanlding traits of the car didn't impress me. I'm sure it will put up good numbers, but it was the way the car communicated I didn't like.

When I drove a Mazda 6 and Mazdaspeed 6, they felt nimble and light going thru S curves, the Aura felt heavy and slow to respond to steering inputs and I didn't like the steering feel, heavy and numb.

I'm sure it's better than a Camry, but I don't know about an Accord, it's been to long since I've driven one, though I remember liking how it drove.

Don't get me wrong, the Aura is a very nice car and I will keep it on my buy list. My expectations were probably a bit to high. That said, I will try to test drive a Fusion soon to see how it compares.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Just returned from a test drive of an Aura XR as a replacement for the Accord I sold last week. For me, there was some good and bad. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I thought the XR looked better in person than pictures and I was impressed (this one had the morocco leather). Also, I felt the engine/transmission combo was very good. Quick and smooth shifting, both up and down. The good ends there. I was expecting a firm, but responsive ride/handling combo, much like the Passats I've owned in the past. No so, at least for me. I found the suspension without adequate compliance for a sedan and was downright crude. Although it tracked very well, as dieselone noted, the steering was very numb. Worst of all, this sample had three, or four loud creaks and squeaks. The back shelf had two, the right front door rattled and there was a creak in the right front suspension. As much as I was hoping the Aura would be a contender for me, especially with a GM supplier discount (about $1100 off of MSRP), I'm going to purchase something else. I'd like to return to a GM product, but the disappointments keeping coming.
  • Options
    I have not driven the Aura but the comments made here seem to contradict the reviews I have read. There is no way the Aura is a soft handling sedan when compared to the top sellers like the Camry, Malibu, Accord, etc. The Aura seems to be tuned more like the highly regarded 6 than anything else. As for the steering, the mechanical steering in the G6 GTP and Aura seems to be getting decent reviews so I'm not sure why you guys are calling it numb. It doesnt sound like either of you was really looking to purchase an Aura, it sounds like you were driving it to prove it wasnt as good as the hype.

Karl Brauer has a first drive mini-review in his blog and he was actually positive about the car although he said the interior was a cheap disappointment. That isnt too surprising because he says the same thing about every GM interior so I just disregard such comments. I think he said the plastic inside the storage bin was too cheap or something ridiculous like that.

I can easily tell the G6 and Aura are the same car, just look at them from the side. GM did a decent job of separating them, but no moreso than cars like the Grand Prix and Impala.
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    "That isnt too surprising because he says the same thing about every GM interior "

Not entirely true, Karl does give credit where it is due, such as with the new GM SUVs/trucks like the Suburban, Yukon and Avalanche. If you read the Avalanche posting you would see that he actually describes his like for them in good detail. That being said, I think Karl would have had a much better interior impression of the car had he driven the XR version instead of the XE.

Autoweek has a review of the Aura XR up on their site, and they gave it a very favorable review. The interior really looks good in that picture, really a class leader. Even their as tested price was around $27K, which included a lot of stuff and was much cheaper than a Camry or Accord.

I'd encourage all of you who are interested in the Aura to read the Autoweek video.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/FREE/60803006/1009
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "It doesnt sound like either of you was really looking to purchase an Aura, it sounds like you were driving it to prove it wasnt as good as the hype"

perhaps you take any criticism of GM as someone having an anti GM agenda.

this car seems to be marketed to consumers who normally wouldn't consider a GM product. these two test drivers appear to be the car buyers that GM is targeting.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I wanted to purchase the Aura because I wanted something different than the typical Japanese, or trouble prone European vehicle. Before you comment on other people's opinions, go drive one yourself and stop relaying on the press to tell you what to think. If you like the Aura, great. I didn't.
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    If GM truely wants to move Saturn upmarket as an Acura fighter ( the company that allegedly killed Olds)then this is the car to do it. I just hope others think so.
  • Options
    i think an accord ex v6 to be a more realistic target for the aura especially considering there will be a new accord coming out next year.
  • Options
    rs9904rs9904 Member Posts: 15
    Will replace my SAAB 99 9-3 in a couple of years (Also own 2004 9-3) and am looking at a 9-3 sportcombi or the end of the 99 9-5 or the Aura wagon that is coming out next year.

Ride was very smooth. Handled a harsh bump very well with its long wheelbase. Turning radius a bit large. Engine seemed powerful would probably do better when worn in. Car seemed well planted to the ground.

Exterior was nice looking. Big and expensive 18 inch wheels (Costly to replace tires) Nice line. Hinges in trunk set off to side. Slight angle to the trunk.

Interior seemed well put together. Nice upper dash. Slightly plasticky lower dash. Nice looking wood trim. No moonroof or morrocan leather on this one. Ok cloth. Good seats seemed comfortable. Back of front seats nicely sculpted to allow for lots of leg room in the back. Door had a nice clunk. Radio seemed pretty good.

Overall very impressed. Good saturn salesman. Will consider it.
  • Options
    First, off, I thought the reason for a test drive was to find reasons to buy and reasons not to buy. Well, I found both with the test drive of the Aura XR.

I've yet to see a review of a G6 GT or GTP get much praise for steering feel. I simply didn't like how heavy and numb the steering was when taking my favorite back road S curves. The car felt excessively heavy. When I say numb, I mean not much communication with what is going on. It seemed to track wheel and the steering was precise, but the big issue for me is how heavy the steering is.

The Mazda 6 and Mazdaspeed 6 and VW Jetta GLI were much better in this area, but were worse in others. Overall I thought the Aura had more refinement than the 6, and not as much as the Jetta.

Overall, I still like the Aura. Like some others have mentioned the sample I drove had a disconcerting squeak in the dash. I'd prefer to get a car with a manual, so in the end, that may doom our decision to go with an Aura.

I liked the dash alot, the center console area was awfully cheap like Carl mentioned. From the cup holders to the center console storage area, nothing fit exactly right and the plastics were no where near the quality used else where and stood out. Go look for yourself.
  • Options
    I said I hadn't driven the car, I didnt say I never sat in the car. As far as I know I sat in the car before most of you on this board back in April at the NY auto show. I would say the Passat and possibly the camry have a better interior, but that is about where it ends. Have you sat in the Sonata or Fusion? I have and they are no better than the Aura and neither has an interior design as attractive as the Aura. To me design has to count for something and I am not crazy about the interior design of the Fusion, Sonata or Altima. The Camry is pretty nice. Again, I have to wonder what cars you people are comparing the Aura to because it doesnt seem like you are talking about cars in this price range.

If you read reviews of the G6 GTP you will find that the steering was considered MUCH better than the electronic version in the GT. The steering in the Aura is supposed to be heavy like a European car since its based on the Vectra. It may seem heavy compared to the Americanized Camry or Accord, but I doubt owners of European sedans would complain too much.
  • Options
    Karl does not give any credit to GM period. The GM trucks may in fact the only GM products that he has not criticized for cheap materials. If you look at his comments he says the exact same thing about every GM product, including the Aura; cheap interior and sloppy, numb steering. I can buy that when talking about the Cobalt or Aveo, but this applies to Cadillacs, Buicks and everything else they make. He thinks GM should be looking to Ford and Chrysler for inspiration because they have superior lineups. Karl's whole platform is that GM isnt changing and is making the same old mistakes that he has been noting for years. Nevermind cars like the Soltice/Sky, STS-V, XLR-V, Cobalt SS, Aura, GTO, etc. GM is still nothing more than cheap interiors and 4 speed autos.

nctd.com has a review of the Aura and they echoed the comments about some cheap parts but liked the car overall, especially in terms of interior design, build quality and handling.
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I agree. Superior lineups? there is nothing good about ford right now. And chrysler? not the best interiors- they're not that cheap, but bland.
  • Options
    "The steering in the Aura is supposed to be heavy like a European car since its based on the Vectra. It may seem heavy compared to the Americanized Camry or Accord, but I doubt owners of European sedans would complain too much."

the accord probably has the best steering feel in its class (sans the hybrid), no need to lump it in with the camry.
  • Options
    Sorry, that should read Autoweek review, not video. My mistake.
  • Options
    f you read reviews of the G6 GTP you will find that the steering was considered MUCH better than the electronic version in the GT. The steering in the Aura is supposed to be heavy like a European car since its based on the Vectra. It may seem heavy compared to the Americanized Camry or Accord, but I doubt owners of European sedans would complain too much.

I've driven many german cars (which I love how they drive), and the steering feel of the Aura is far from feeling "German" to me. Being excessively heavy does not automatically equal good.

And just because the G6 GTP's steering was considered much better, I've yet to read where it's anywhere near top of the class.

Yes, the Camry (prior model not current, since I haven't driven one) has fairly light and numb steering, but it's not a sporty car. The last Accord v6 EX I've driven had very responsive steering w/o being overly heavy.

I've read at least two articles regarding the Aura's steering being to heavy and and at least one other person observed the same thing and reported it here on the board, along with some excessively cheap plastics. So maybe it's true. That said, unlike you, I won't chastise those who ACTUALLY drive the car and come away with a different opinion, etc. Our next purchase is for my wife to drive, so I still see a possibility of us owning an Aura. There still is a lot to like about the car besides the few areas I don't like.

BTW, I do own a GM vehicle, so I don't have an anti-GM agenda.
  • Options
    I read the Autoweek review, and that is what prompted me to actually take a test drive besides the fact I've been interested since the first pictures I saw.
  • Options
    steering feel is subjective at best so the fact that you dont like the steering feel doesnt really mean much. Karl says the steering feel of every GM car is lousy and in some cases (G6 with electro steering) most others agree but in other cases GM cars get decent marks for steering feel. Measuring "best in class" steering feel is a joke because 5 different journalists could give 5 different opinions as to which car in this class has the best feel. Since the Aura's steering setup is from a European sedan I would assume it's feel would have to be relatively European. ON top of that you cant even say that all European cars have great steering, really that just applies to BMWs. Audis and Benzes are rarely praised for steering feel or accuracy. If you are comparing the Aura to RWD Euro cars then the Aura is likely to have inferior steering since it's FWD.

I'm not saying the Aura has no cheap parts, I am saying its not cheap compared to the majority of cars in this class. The Camry may be superior, but not the Fusion, Altima or Sonata. In fact, I would say I find the Aura interior to be better than that of the 300.
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Karl does not give any credit to GM period.

I am pretty sure that Karl has stated that he owns a 2004'ish Malibu, which makes this assertion kinda hard to take seriously.
  • Options
    1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I rented a '06 Pontiac G6 in Dallas in February. I actually liked the steering. I'll have to drive the Aura to see if it's a good fit.
  • Options
    I'm not saying the Aura has no cheap parts, I am saying its not cheap compared to the majority of cars in this class. The Camry may be superior, but not the Fusion, Altima or Sonata. In fact, I would say I find the Aura interior to be better than that of the 300.

I agree. I won't comment on the 300 since I've never sat in one. I have looked at a Fusion and Altima and I agree the the Aura's interior is a lot nicer.

As for evaluating steering feel that certainly is subjective to a point.

Like many things, ideal handling traits are not the same for everyone. I don't doubt some like the steering in the Aura, and I've read some positive reviews.

I do have to side with Carl, since like him I've disliked the steering characteristics of most of the GM vehicles I've owned and driven.
  • Options
    v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    Guys don`t try to argue in vain, just look on the bright side: FINALLY GM IS BRINGING OPEL IN THE US ! ! ! That`s good enough for me. I just wish Peugeot and Citroen would bring some models :D
  • Options
    Trust me, read his blog and his comments. He used to have a forum like this one and he made it very clear how he felt about GM products. I'm not saying he likes Ford or DC (although he does own a Ford GT) but he thinks they are superior to GM. He wouldnt even deny what I'm saying so I dont understand why you are arguing his case. He's not afraid to say he doesnt believe GM can make a competent vehicle. I cant take him seriously because he believes Ford and Chrysler are doing a better job than GM. That opinion automatically makes me doubt any automotive journalists is objective.
  • Options
    How many GM cars have you owned or driven? In addition to the one I own, I have driven over a dozen GM products at various test events. I have an Alero and the steering is very well weighted and is hardly numb. Same goes for the Olds Intrigue. I have driven the STS, SRX and CTS (and Catera when it existed) and they had great steering. Same goes for the GTO. The steering on the Malibu and Grand Prix wasnt all that great. I have not driven a G6 or Aura but if their steering is similar to that of my car than it's probably pretty good.
  • Options
    GM vehicles owned: Saturn SL2, Impala, Suburban.

GM vehicles driven within last few yrs. GrandPrix GT & GTP (yuck), Cadillac SLS (much better to be a passenger in than the driver), Trans Am (no wonder GM stopped making them), Alero (not bad), Park Ave (see SLS) LeSabre (see SLS), and Malibu (horrible), Aura (good, just wasn't satisfied with steering feedback).

I've generally preferred the way a Ford drives over a comparable product from GM. My wife now has an '06 500 (company car) and I really don't like the steering in it either, but it does seem to be built on a stiff platform, much better than her previous Impala.

As for the Aura I really do like the car, I am just a little disapointed in a few areas. I could still see myself in one though.

It's hard for me to describe why I don't like the way most GM cars drive. GM cars always (to me anyway) feel heavier than they are and their suspensions feel slow to react (to me anyway). GM's brakes have been a sore spot with me as well, by having mushy pedals and poor feedback (I know these are areas where they are improving). My Suburban has by far the worst brakes of any SUV (or car) I've ever driven (Armada, Expedition, Explorer, Pathfinder) and is downright scary if I have to panic stop. The pedal is mushy and difficult to modulate. My wifes Impala was similar in regards to a mushy pedal even though my burb and the Impala had 4 wheel disks.

I doubt we'll see eye to eye on this subject. I have several friends that have GM vehicles and they like them. I'll get in it and go yuck. It's just preferances. My wife loves Dr. Pepper and I can't stand the stuff. Who's right? I guess we both are.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Hi dieselone, can you compare Aura with Fusion V6 (if you drove one)?
  • Options
    Savetheland,

I haven't driven a Fusion, but I have driven a Mazda 6 which the Fusion uses an extended version of the Mazda 6 Platform. They also have similar powertrains.

IMO, the Mazda 6 handles better than the Aura, but the Aura is the nicer car. Even though I haven't driven a Fusion, I'd expect it to have excellent handling characteristics like the Mazda 6.

That said, the Aura has a much better powertrain than the Fusion. I don't like the Duratec 3.0. It lacks torque and worse yet, I find it to be a bit crude when revved.

The Aura XR 3.6 is much quicker than the Mazda 6 v6 and that will apply to the Fusion as well. I'd guess the Aura XE with the 3.5 and 4 speed auto would be about the same performance wise.

I have sat in a Fusion and looked over the interior and I don't really care for it. I like the styling of the Aura better inside and out, but that is subjective. In the end, the Fusion seems like a good deal for the money.

The Aura is a nicer car and in top trim is more expensive and much nicer. If your looking at the XE Aura, then it's a toss up IMO. They'll be similarly priced and have similar performance. You may be able to get more options on the Fusion compared to the Aura at the same price point.
  • Options
    I have driven the Fusion SE V6 and the Aura XE & XR. The Aura XR is much quicker, while the XE was about the same. The Fusion was more athletic feeling, but the Aura felt more luxurious. Both were VERY competent on the road.
  • Options
    I have driven the Fusion SE V6 and the Aura XE & XR. The Aura XR is much quicker, while the XE was about the same. The Fusion was more athletic feeling, but the Aura felt more luxurious. Both were VERY competent on the road.

That's pretty much what I expected.
  • Options
    I know a new Altima is coming out but I had a chance to ride in a 2006 model and I can say the Aura definitely has the current model beat in terms of interior quality. for all the talk about the cheapness of the Malibu and G6, the Altima is no better. In fact I would argue its worse than either of those cars. The gaps between the dash and doors are huge and the plastics are straught out of econo car. The doors weigh about 15 pounds each and feel like they are aluminum. The map pockets in the doors are very thin and flexible. The only positive attribute I saw was that the interior panel doors closed in a damped fashion and thus felt substantial when opened and closed. Everything else was worse than the Cobalt.
  • Options
    though... the 3.5 V6 goes like crazy.. 0-60 -> 5.9 (or something like that), so my question is it fun to drive? From what I read in some reviews the Aura is pretty nice to actually drive (not to stare :) )
  • Options
    The Altima V6 is fun to drive if you like wrestling the steering wheel. The Japanese havent really figured out how to tame torque steer on powerful front drive sedans. At least Nissan hasnt.
  • Options
    From the reviews that I've read of the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and Chevrolet Impala SS, I don't think the Americans have figured that one out either. At least GM hasn't.

Those two cars would be much cooler if they were RWD.
  • Options
    From the Edmunds.com roadtest of the Impala SS:

"With its traction control on or off, the Impala tracks arrow straight with no intrusive torque steer. This really impressed us. Despite the V8's ability to light up the front tires with ease, the profound torque steer in the mechanically similar Pontiac Grand Prix GTP simply isn't much of a problem in the Impala SS."

Car & Driver had the opposite finding, that the Grand Prix has little torque steer and the Impala SS had more.

I have driven the Impala SS and the Altima 3.5 SE and frankly the Impala is no worse. And as good as the VQ engine is the V8 in the Impala is wonderful. Endless torque and a willingness to rev too. Probably could get away with a 2-speed tranny.

Back to the topic at hand....the Aura XR is every way comparable to the Altima 3.5 in terms of acceleration.
  • Options
    it's probably cheaper to make a FWD... GM STYLE!
  • Options
    baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    it's probably cheaper to make a FWD... GM STYLE!

Brand basher, I believe it was the Asian car makes that brought us FWD.

For the average Joe or Josephine, FWD is just fine, particularly in the snow belt. RWD is great for performance drivers. But then some love AWD.
  • Options
    froggersjcfroggersjc Member Posts: 51
    Have you guys taken a close look at the Aura armrests? They look terrible! How much can a decent armrest cost? Looks like a happy meal toy pasted onto an otherwise decent interior. I really don't understand how a designer can let this fly.
  • Options
    Brand basher, I believe it was the Asian car makes that brought us FWD.

and what's your point? We don't have to copy the Asians, but if it's less expensive for us... why not? And yes, for an Malibu, Aura, G6 and other GM, Ford, Daimler brands, a FWD is enough (and less expesive again).
  • Options
    rs9904rs9904 Member Posts: 15
    I drove the car and posted a few days ago. I am not saying that I know all- but it is a very nice car overall. Every car has a minor flaw or two. Some have more than others. I noticed the door handle/arm rest as well but I don't jam my elbow in my arm rest area.

Some people on this edmunds and other places jump from thread to thread with little nice to say.
  • Options
    This was mentioned in another review but honestly I cant see the armrest material being a major factor in purchasing a car. My guess is that it wouldnt stand out if the rest of the interior wasnt so nice. I would probably have to check out the armrests on similar cars to see if the Aura is really that bad,

GM has torque steer controlled better than anyone else on the market. Even the V8 FWD cars like the DTS and Lucerne dont have much torque steer. Even if the Impala has some torque steer lets not forget its a V8 with 323 lb-ft vs. 245 b-ft for the Altima V6. That is a significant difference and thus one car excuse the Impala for having a little torque steer.