Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Okay, I've been gone long enough and thought I would emerge from out of my hole. 14,000 miles on the wife's pearl white RL and the car has basically been flawless.

But RL sales have greatly underperformed compared to Acura's expectations, and each month the sales data appear to be heading south. Below are some thoughts on why that may be...

1. The car needs a V8 (at least as an option). No if's and but's about that. Acura is thinking about selling a cheaper, decontented RL in 2007, and that's a big mistake. The current platform cannot handle a V8, so the next generation better offer one as an option.

2. MSRP is overpriced by $5000, based on street prices. The car has had its share of techno gremlins (although they are exaggerated by a handful of posters on Edmunds). And a dealer network that can't always explain what's gone wrong. The keyless ignition is silly. I could live with a push button starter, but cranking on the keyless stalk is just dumb. When I also have to tote around a keyfob, where's the benefit? Step out of the running car with keyfob in your pocket and the car beeps and emits warning messages. Dumb.

3. Front wheel architecture presents its share of shortcomings. SH-AWD is great, but Acura should have started with a RWD chassis and perhaps even offered a rear drive version. It's not a driver's car due to its inherent front wheel drive bias, and the car is still too heavy in spite of aluminum panels, due to AWD. One flavor for all buyers limits its appeal in the marketplace.

4. We just bought an Odyssey Touring, and much of the RL's technology is found in this wonderful van. But if the Odyssey can offer a rear backup camera, front/rear parking sensors, and very cool Michelin runflat PAX tires, why not offer those same bells and whistles on your flagship? The RL needs more to distinguish it from a very competitive field. The Canadian RL offers cooled front seats. Why not the US spec version?

5. Styling is subjective, but to most the conservative RL resembles a large Accord. Even the wheel and tire combo is snore-inducing. Why the same Pilot MXM tires you find on the Accord sedan? (See Pax reference above.) A little more pizzazz would have gone a long way.

6. The backseat is way too tight for a luxury car. Five more inches and voila, the car could have stepped up big time in interior volume.

7. No advertising. I see Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus ads everywhere. Acura's advertising budget must be 10% of its rivals. Similar to Audi, Acura doesn't seem to want to market its flagship like the competition does. And Acura lease deals are weak. Most luxury cars are leased. Acura's offers are not competitive.

8. Killing the "Legend" name and going with lettered nomenclature was a mistake. Can the average person pick out an MDX, RSX, RL, TSX, TL, or RDX from a police lineup? Why nuke "Integra," "Legend," or even the admittedly silly "Vigor" names? People remember names. Not cryptic letters that don't mean anything.

But I still believe the RL is a very special car. Unique and cool in its own right. I admit I'm a Honda nut (6-speed Accord, Odyssey, and RL in the garage), but I'm disappointed that when Acura could have hit a homerun, they chose to settle for a ground rule double.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Cstiles and Nebraska Guy, It is always a pleasure to see your posts. I don't visit the forum very often anymore but do keep in touch with one of our long time RL posters Acuraphile. Enjoy your RLs and best of luck to you both. JJ
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    I own a white 2005 RL. Soot from my exhaust often collects on my bumper. If I don't constantly wipe it off, it starts to "stick" to the bumper and becomes very hard to wipe off. I have mentioned it to my dealer more than once, and they have never previously offered a solution. I was starting to get upset because it is really a design defect that causes this, and I believed Acura should address it as such. I just brought my car in for the 15000 mile service and again asked that the problem be addressed. The service manager showed me an internal publication called Acura News that is circulated to dealers. It contained an article that said many 05 RL owners had this problem, particularly in light colored cars. It said that a design change was made for 2006, and that if customers were really upset, the dealer should offer to replace the exhaust tips with the 2006 tips, which are correctly designed to alleviate this unsightly problem. My dealer actually gave me a copy of this article, but then offered to SELL me the tips at $109 each. I did not think customers should have to pay for design defect changes, so I called the regional customer service line. I was told that most dealers were aware that Acura will pay for the switchout, and that this has been taking place routinely for some time now. The customer service rep gave me a case number and told me to have my dealer call. My dealer called and sure enough, my new 2006 exhaust tips have been ordered, and are being replaced at Acura's expense. If any 05 owners are having this problem, tell your dealer to replace the exhaust tips with 06 tips at Acura's expense. Good Luck! Steve C.
    Thanks Steve. We also own a white RL, and this is good info to tuck away for our next service visit. The soot buildup is a minor annoyance, but it's still noticeable over time.

Our left HID headlight just went out. With the seemingly exhaustive diagnostic messages that this car emits, it's interesting that the car hasn't alerted us. Our Audi A4 used to emit such a warning.
  • bj9000bj9000 Member Posts: 2
    I wish my 05 RL was as good. The windshield washer does not clean. The drivers door won't unlock. Passenger and rear windows don't work from drivers window console. Front brakes rattle, and many more. Only 9500 miles. My first and last Acura.
  • cavteccavtec Member Posts: 7
    :lemon: not just a few unhappy owners... over 600 posts identifying problems and Acura's response. THe controversy is caused by the problems. Some people are satisfied with anything, and don't complain. Others seek value and quality. My 05 was so bad I went to arbitration for 4 major problems. One was enough for the arbitrator, who ordered the car repurchased without even considering the other three. Acura's response - they all do that.
  • bobrlbobrl Member Posts: 6
    Apparently Acura agrees with you on item #2. They gave a $3000. incentive to the dealers during may. If you found a dealer that was willing to pass it on, you could get your RL for $42K like I did.

Also, the keyless ignition is not really that silly since you can pry off the keyless stalk with your key and start the car with the key in an emergency (i.e. dead battery in keyfob or otherwise inoperable keyfob)
  • archichrisarchichris Member Posts: 11
    Well, I'm back after not logging on for a few weeks. Like cavtec, I not only expect quality; I demand it, but I guess my kharma's flowing in the right direction, as I have yet to have a single problem/issue/vibration/glitch/aberration with my '06 RL, and have only one complaint: the voice response iPod link is truly farkakt. I'm blaming it on Apple, because it is so un-Honda like in it's totally non-intuitive operation. What should take less than 15 seconds, can take up to 2 minutes. The simple plug-in in my Honda Element is infinitely better.

Re: gas, yes, the gas mileage in town is not great, but I never expected it to be, [coming from an Audi A6 quattro which got 13 mpg in town]. However, under optimal weather conditions [cool & dry] I have gotten as much as 32.8 mpg on the freeway with the cruise control set on 64 mph, and consistantly average between 30.5 and 31.5 mpg. on highway trips.

As for the sales [or lack thereof], it's only a problem if Honda decides to drop out of the market alltogether. As long as they are struggling to break back into the market and gain market penetration; they have a large incentive to keep up the improvements and content, and we get to enjoy having a car that one doesn't see a dozen times a day [320/540, etc]. Re: advertisements, I have been seeing quite a bit more tv ads [far more than BMW or Audi] for the RL just in the past few weeks.

Re: the dealerships, unfortunately Honda didn't initially set them up with the same criteria and standards that were demanded of the Lexus dealerships, and now that they have been in place for 20+ years, AmHonda really doesn't use whatever leverage it has to force any of the dealerships to behave or conduct business in an upscale "Lexus" way. Audi dealerships are exactly the same way, with most of them being shared dealerships with either Porsche or VW [haughty arrogance on one side, and the German-flavored GM mindset on the other.] Again, I guess that I'm lucky that my dealership is not filled with incompetants, and actually have been totally professional
    Car and Driver recently completed a long term test of the RL (40,000 miles worth). Consistent with C&D's lovefest for Honda, they praised the RL from all angles, especially in the areas of driving dynamics, comfort, ergonomics, powertrain, and amenities. All of this in spite of 8 unscheduled dealer visits for a variety of quirks, along with 2 dead batteries on their test car. Although most of the issues were minor, they concluded that this car had its share of new car teething signs.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... I have yet to have a single problem/issue/vibration/glitch/aberration with my '06 RL, and have only one complaint: the voice response iPod link is truly farkakt. I'm blaming it on Apple, because it is so un-Honda like in it's totally non-intuitive operation. ...

Who designed their "keyless" ignition?? :confuse:
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    I don't know who designed it, but I like it. I like being not having to take the key out of my pocket to open and start the car. I like being able to just touch a dimple on the door handle to lock the car. I don't mind the ignition switch on the steering column so that I can start the car with the emergency key if the battery in the remote goes dead. I know that some early models had problems with the door handles not working properly, but mine have always worked (17 months now). Also, I have never left the ignition in the accessory position and drained the battery as some people have. The 06 now even has a warning if you leave it in that position.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I don't know who designed it, but I like it. I like being not having to take the key out of my pocket to open and start the car.

I agree. It's one of my favorite things about my RL. It's especially great in the winter when I was always forgetting which of my many pockets I'd put my keys in that time.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I leased a 2006 RL April 21st. So far, I love this car. The only problem I have had is that twice when I put my briefcase with key fob in the back seat, the car didn't recognize me. The other 95 times there was no problem. The key fob is large enough that I don't like carrying it in my pocket, so I just leave it in my briefcase when I go to work.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does the key fob have to be in the front of the car?

Len

Len
    Klister and Nebraskaguy---now be serious, if you could choose between the keyless knob/stalk and a push button start, which would you prefer? There is no question in my mind that the push button start (which just about every other keyless setup offers), is superior. I scratch my head on why the S2000 has a push button start, yet the RL has the keyless stalk. And both from the same maker. Someone educate me on why the stalk trumps the button.
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    The major advantage to me is being able to keep the key in my pocket, not whether I have to turn a knob or push a button. If turning a knob gives me an easy way to still be able to start the if the remote battery goes dead, then it doesn't bother me. Button pushing is also easy but then there has to be another way to start the car if the remote battery fails.

I am comparing with not having a keyless ignition or having one like the BMW where you have to insert the remote and then push a button which doesn't seem to be much of an advantage.
  • chiefmacchiefmac Member Posts: 10
    Hope you're still around to receive this. The new transmission was installed. The noise is not as noticable at lower speeds now. It does not become annoying until about 72 through 80. The technician did not know what else to try. He took me out in an '06 and I heard the sound around 40mph. Maybe it is just something the tranny produces. I'm trying to live with it for now. Four years warranty may give it time to get worse or become easier to identify. I really love this car so it is disappointing.
    Klister and Nebraskaguy---now be serious, if you could choose between the keyless knob/stalk and a push button start, which would you prefer?

Frankly, I don't care which it is. All I care is that I don't have to pull my keys out every time to open and start my RL.
  • johnhaydjohnhayd Member Posts: 11
    FWIW, I think the acura system is easier and more intuitive to explain to parking attendants than a push button system.

I agree with others that with either system, (with most cars), one doesn't have to get the keys out to open/close/start the car.

To each his own: choice is an advantage in the american car marketplace!
  • wallmwallm Member Posts: 8
    I was planning on buying an RL but after reading about all the experiences that owners have with their dealers and cars, I think I will pass on it. I compared this to the 'Problems' board on Lexus and it seems like the dealerships are a lot more helpful. The key reason I buy Japanese cars is because my work doesn't allow for frequent trips to the dealer. If there was a problem, I would not be able to easily make multiple trips to an Acura dealer just to be told "thats how the car is supposed to work". This message is targeted more to Acura -- you are losing business even with people who want to buy your car. :lemon:
  • cavteccavtec Member Posts: 7
    smart guy! the car isn't the wonder it is claimed to be.

Perhaps, that is why Acura is offering a $3000 dealer incentive to move the RL. It gets a junk rating in my book. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • michaelbmenakemichaelbmenake Member Posts: 12
    Big mistake. If you take the time to scan backwards from today, you'll see that this forum has really quieted down the past 6+ months. There were a few, early software issues (all easily resolved by my dealer), but the basic car is solid as a rock. My very early '05 is rattle free, trouble free, and an exceptional road car. Highway mileage at 75-85 consistently is in the 26-27 mpg range.

The NAV system is the best in the business. As is the sound system. Dollar for dollar the RL is more car for less money than A6s, E-Class, or 5 Series.

You put too much weight into what you're reading here. I couldn't be happier and the RL owners I encounter on the road concur.
    Cavtec and Wallm---first of all, you are sitting in the "RL - Problems & Solutions" board. So, you are going to read nothing but "problems" here. Secondly, the fact that 20-odd people on an Edmunds board happened to say that their car or dealer is junk, it's statistically so meaningless it's laughable.

Equally, when 20-odd people come to the "My Dream Car" board and wax poetic about how their (fill in the blank) is the best car on the planet, that also has zero statistical significance. Do use Edmunds as one source, but if you reach the conclusion that the RL is a lemon based on these comments alone, you may want to revisit your hypothesis.

The RL is far from perfect. (What car is?) But it is an overall reliable and well-designed car. Other external sources of information confirm that. If you haven't driven or tested one out, definitely do that. Then if you decide the car ain't for you, then all power to you.

Remember that most satisfied RL owners are not coming to Edmunds to toot their horns. They probably have a life.
  • jtsjts Member Posts: 15
    I own an '05 RL purchased last November and now have over 20,000 kms. on it. I have driven it in all weather conditions (I live in Western Canada). Last winter I drove back and forth thru the mountains twice with only the all season tires and around the west coast in heavy rain. Previously I have owned 4 E Class(one was a 4matic) and an '05 subaru Outback Turbo. The RL has been fantastic and the SH-AWD is as good as it gets. While some of the interior pieces aren't as nice as the E Class, as far as I'm concerned I'm way happier. The car has only really had one warranty item, a door armrest with a small bump in it,(I'm picky!!) which was handled without problem. Sevice at the 2 dealers I use has been terrific and everytime it's in for service I receive a call from Acura Canada within 3 days to ask if I was happy with the service. I won't bore anyone with my problematic and unsatisfactory experience with MB but I am thrilled with every aspect of the RL, no it's not perfect but it's close enough for my uses. It's the workhouse in our family as we also have a Boxter S for fun. I won't be changing to another brand anytime soon.
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    I'll weigh in on this discussion, too. As indicated in the last three posts, I also couldn't be happier with my RL. Purchased on January '05 and have 15,000 miles. (I rotate daily driving with a MINI Cooper S.) I have the 18" wheels and summer performance tires for this time of year. Awesome! The car has been trouble free, continues to be tight as a drum and an absolute joy to drive (or should I say "experience"?). I, too, have no intentions of getting rid of the car any time soon. I get a little brake caliper "rattle" between scheduled service, but that's really my only complaint. I think there are a few things that could be done to improve it, specifically rain sensing wipers and cooled front seats. Now that the prices have come down from when I purchased, I do think it is exceptional value, all things considered.
    "Remember that most satisfied RL owners are not coming to Edmunds to toot their horns. They probably have a life."

Hello [cstiles]...you must be talking about the many posters that were in here almost 2 years ago now that went forward and bought this great car. Me included. I don't feel any strong need to go to this forum or the other RL Forum any more to regularly defend it because the satisfied owners have said it all over and over again.
    It has been a dream car me.
    JJ
    I don't feel any strong need to go to this forum or the other RL Forum any more to regularly defend it because the satisfied owners have said it all over and over again.

I agree. I used to come to these forums several times daily to read and sometimes respond to other posters. These days, I often don't sign in for days and rarely post any more. My RL is the best car I've ever owned, bar none and it's wonderful to drive. My only regret - I don't get to drive it much anymore since I now walk to work.
  • bobrlbobrl Member Posts: 6
    The temperature gauge on my 06 never gets to the mid-point (dead center) as it does on any other car I own. It stops about a 1/4" below mid-point. This is not a serious problem, but I wonder if this is the norm for this car. Anybody else experience this? Everything else is perfect.
  • ephartlandephartland Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any knowledge of how effective the actvie noise cancellation is? Any way to evaluate it on/off. I'm intrigued by it, and am considering an RL - but I'd like to know if its a gimmick -seems like Honda only offers this system on vehicle that can run on one bank of cylinders (variable cylidner management). So does it do anything in the RL?

I wonder if a salesman would let me pull the fuse for the stereo to determine the difference...??
    Thanks for any feedback
    The noise cancellation can be turned off through the system setup menu. From my experience with it in the RL, it's not effective at all.
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    Actually, it can't be turned off. I forget the name of the feature you're talking about, but it isn't the ANC.

A while back, someone actually took a meter and tested with the microphone open and blocked and there was a substantial difference. The ANC worked well (> 5db?) but it is only designed to block lower frequencies, rumbles, etc. so is often mis-understood.
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    What the heck, I'll chime in, too, because I get tired of reading how buggy and unreliable the RL is. I've had mine for 18k miles and 18 months now and it has only been to the shop for oil changes and other routine maintenance. Yes, they've done the software updates but all cars get those these days.

This has been by far the best new car I've owned in terms of quality and reliability.
    It's called Audio Pilot. When I was testing out an '05 RL, there was an option in the Audio/Setup menu to turn Audio Pilot off. The way it was explained (and advertised in manufacturer print material), the Audio Pilot is the noise cancellation system.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Cstiles/nebraskaguy:

I, too, rarely look in at this forum, in which the RL - and its dealers - have come in for harsh criticism. My experience exactly mirrors that of jjacura: this is the finest car that I have ever owned. Additionally, my dealer has been scrupulous in his attention. This leaves me puzzled. Are these strong, negative postings simply reflecting the infinitesmal things that must go wrong simply because they're the product of human endeavor, and must therefore be discounted as representing Acura's body of work?

Based upon past and present Acura ownership,my enthusiasm is undiminished - every drive around the block is a pleasure!!

George
    Wish I could post a smiley Emotorcon in the Title.:) It is a pleasure to see your post George!
    I have turned 19,000 miles and all is amazing with the RL. In 5 weeks I will be making the drive from Wisconsin to Arizona :shades: and back for a month and so the miles will pile up. Looking forward to smooth power driving through Colorado where if I decide to tackle the Rockies the SH-AWD will prove to be a real asset. (Last time I drove over them was in April of '66 in a Volkswagen bug :lemon: during a snowstorm at Loveland Pass with an 18 wheeler coming at us using 3/4 of the road. :surprise: ) I do know that the roads have been improved substantially since then and in August don't anticipate any problems. :D

Question regarding tires. I plan to keep the OE Michelins on for at least another winter but was considering going to the Pilot Ultra Performance All-Seasons in the future. Does anyone have them now and if so how do you like them?
    JJ
    Gee, I'm glad I spoke up the other day about how happy I am with my RL. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks to all for the backup on this one.
    JTS
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    I just wanted to check in with my fellow Acura RL owners. While I have really loved this car for the year I've owned it, I am a bit annoyed with some of the minor issues including the most recent, the AFS Warning Light. I brought it in to the dealer (Boston Acura) to have them check it out about a month ago, they said that they couldn't find a problem. In the past week the problem has gone from bad to worse . . . what was formerly an intermittent problem that was typically addressed by turning the car off is now an ongoing problem. For those of you who have had this problem: what did your dealer eventually uncover, and how was it resolved?

I think that Acura should require its dealers and their service departments to subscribe to and read this forum. So often they shrug their shoulders and say "We've never seen that problem before" . . . when in fact it's been discussed several times here on the forum.

Thanks all.
  • johnhaydjohnhayd Member Posts: 11
    I too was worried about all the 'issues' is the 2005 RL. Like others, I noticed the complaints on the board decreased with time. I'm a VERY happy owner of a 2006 RL with tech package and backup camera. NO problems so far. when I've brought the car in for routine service, the service department (pleasanton, CA)has been exceptionally nice: nicer than even the excellent BMW dealer across the street that I used before I bought the acura.

I also enjoy the adaptive cruise control and use it much more than I originally expected: it really reduces stress on drives with medium traffic.

re: temperature gauge: mine never gets up to the midpoint either, even in 90+ degree weather with the A/C on in heavy traffic.
    If the Michelins that you are thinking of purchasing are the Pilot Sport AS, I have them on my wife's MB C Coupe and they have been excellent so far. I have a number of friends that are on their second set, many with AWD cars. I will probably put them on my RL when the time comes. They are likely to be similar to the original tires in snow but better on dry and certainly better in the rain.
    JTS
  • bucketsbuckets Member Posts: 6
    does anyone know where in cabin air filter is located? i had a vw passat which air filter was in engine compartment at cowl. i know some vehicles have it near glove box. thanks
    JTS Yes thanks....good to hear about those tires...One more thing ... I understand they are even quieter and give you a slightly more comfortable ride as well.
    I became interested in this because the Manual contains NOTHING about the location and I knew that it should be a simple replacement to make...
    - open the glove compartment
    - pull down the fabric at the back (it is held up by velcro)
    - open and then unsnap the upper tray. The tray is held on by three easy to remove clips.

Once removed, the filter is easily visible and clearly marked. Pull out by pushing in the 2 side clips and the entire housing easily slides out.

That's it - no tools needed. There is only one OEM filter which you can buy on-line approx. $37, or less expensive aftermarket filters at auto parts stores for $23
    (Dealer charge for this replacement is worth checking out, you might be surprised at how much you can save.) ;)
    On my wife's car they have a nice ride and quite frankly I don't hear them so they must be reasonably quiet. They get great owners comments on Tire Rack's website as well. I will put them on my RL next.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Pleased to report back that the problem was finally diagnosed and (hopefully) fixed. For future reference, the issue relates to the Headlight Adjuster Leveling Sensor, which can get "stuck" and creates the warning error. When it gets "unstuck" the warning error light goes away and they can't find the problem. The service guy had the sensor replaced, and hopefully it'll do better this time. Apparently a known problem in the design of the RL adaptive headlights.

And of course they also washed the car, which always helps me feel that I didn't completely waste my time. Great car, just those few bugs that get annoying.
  • mack99mack99 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my RL one year ago. There were initial problems with the front right door lock not working from the inside. And a slight rattle in the dash coming from the small round air vents located on the far ends of the dash. The dealer fixed these items that week and I haven't had the first complaint since. The car is extremely quiet with no rattles, tire problems or ignition switch problems, etc.; that some others have complained about. I'm very happy with it and look forward to my commutes to/from work.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I read an article published on MSN stating that, after the warranty period passes and you have to pay out of pocket, repair costs for high tech cars such as the RL are sky high because these cars can only be fixed by dealers, and your independent garage mechanic at the corner (who charges you less) would not have the know how or equipment to troubleshoot these cars. I think there is some truth to the statement. However, I do not mean to say that we should be buying and driving grannie cars that can jeopardize our life and safety. WHat do you think? Is buying an RL worth the risk of high repair bills?
    Is buying an RL worth the risk of high repair bills?

I don't think the risk is any higher than any of the other luxury cars, with the possible exception of Lexus. Most people I know who drive BMWs and Mercedes, won't keep them beyond the warranty period because of potentially high repair costs. As more and more cars add more and more high tech gizmos, most will have high repair costs as they age.
  • michaelbmenakemichaelbmenake Member Posts: 12
    That's why the extended warranty is a good investment.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Technology is an excellent reason not to own a modern day car beyond its warranty period (unless you bought a comprehensive extended warranty).

A few months ago a friend had all the 'idiot' lights illuminate on her STS. She took it to the dealer (her trusted local mechanic of 15 years could not decipher the code the car's computer gave). Dealer determined her ABS pump was faulty as was the computer that controls the ABS and air bag deployment - a $2,700 expense with 53,000 miles on the odometer.

To make a long story short, she called Cadillac corporate about getting reimbursed for this expense (on an item that should not fail considering the mileage). They were gracious in honoring her request after the warranty period and reimbursed her 100% (excluding three days of a rental car).

Kudos to Cadillac for their actions. But in retrospect, they didn't need to come through and as stated, cars are becoming more and more reliant on technology.

Owning a car beyond its warranty period is foolish. And on a side note, probably the two better brands to buy from (if one was calculating a brand as the best bang for the buck) are Buick and Acura. Well built cars available for under $36K with a 4 yr/50K factory warranty. Infiniti and Lexus are close behind but their ES350 and G35 models have been plagued with quality control issues. Still...they are relatively affordable with good warranties.
    I've been knocking on wood for 21 months now regarding the 2005 Celestial Silver RL in my garage. No warranty repairs needed so far at 19,000 miles. If I decide to keep the car beyond the standard warranty period I will consider buying an extended warranty at that time. Off hand does anyone want to volunteer the costs and information about the time frame and options ...etc
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    Early in the 2005 year Nov 04 the AFS light came on 4-5 times the last time I was within 2 blocks of the dealer in the daytime and did not turn of the car. They looked at it but could not see an error code sine 2/05 the problem never reoccured. The AFS warning came on without the lights be on?

Harry