Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    "...if anyone has an opinion on the insurance rates..."

My insurance rates for the Eclipse GT were the same as for a Galant sedan. I was surprised by that, I thought they would be way higher. I would think the GS would be cheaper.

I pay $831 per year for 500K liability and all the bells and whistles.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    I finally broke down and asked for an estimate. It was cheaper than the scion tc and the acura rsx. She quoted me 470/year with a multi car discount. I also have a Murano. The scion and the acura were both in the $600 range. I was surprised by the difference. It should be easier to get answers to insurance questions but I guess there are too many factors involved. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    I just had my second fill-up on my 2008 GT Eclipse. I was surprised to see that it got 24.6 mpg in mixed driving. This means that my 3.8L Eclipse gets better gas mileage than my 2.5L Chrysler with about 100 less horsepower. Way to go Mitsu.

Oh yea, if you don't care about gas mileage, the GT will shred the tires any time you want. I was amused when I came upon a caution statement in the owners manual which suggested that I not do "in excess" of 130mph in 5th gear for "extended periods". I guess if you upshift you can do 130 all day long.LOL :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abordoliabordoli Member Posts: 8
    I've only managed to get mine up to 120 mph on a stretch of interstate with only light weekend traffic. Going 100 mph in Atlanta is quite common, though, so I wasn't too much of a oddity hitting 120. I haven't taken the car on a long vacation trip (premium gas would be cost prohibitive, not to mention the lack of luggage space and cramped back-seat quarters), but I know for a fact that I'd be able to find lots of un-monitored places to go 130 mph for extended periods of time (safely, of course)....
  • Options
    BTW, I just added myself to this forum because I came in to deactivate the e-mail alerts of my former vehicle (the red Protege5 w/sunroof that I traded in at a $6k loss) for the top of the line 2007 Mitsubishishi GT Spyder Convertible (black/black; I wanted the sunset one though but the one I got was the last GT Spyder in the US however was fortunatelt still unwrapped at the Jacksnonville, FL port...lol).

So, I bought her 7-8 months ago and just brought her back from her second 'free dealership oil change'. THis time, I insisted (and actually bought along), 5 quarts of Mobil syntec oil, a high performance Mobil oil filter and an air-filter (I was close to 12,000). As before, I had the tires rotated because I know that for every time I pass up a tire peeling, I know my 22 year-old step-son (who drives the car locally when I'm not using it to go back and forth to work) peels out three-fold. I had actually got into a little debate with the dealership about how to properly rotate the tires because I noticed that they hadn't done it right the last time (I was able to tell because of a little scratch my step-son had put on my precious 18" deluxe front right rim whilst getting too close to a curb; I did the same in a drive-thru months later, arghhhhh). The dealership says that the manufacturer recommends a simple front to back rotation wherefore I was always 'brought up' on doing a front-to-back-criss-cross rotation (any thoughts out there?).

Anyway, I was told off by the dealership because I shoulda had it brought in earlier because I'm a 'severe maintenance' user (check the back section of that maintenance manual). I doubt, I'll be back before 3000-3500 miles because that'll have me back within 2 months and the dealership agent did warn me that just because I'm putting in synthetic that doesn't mean I can go longer. Thoughts on this?
  • Options
    mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone used regular gas on Mitsubishi's V6 engines? I know they req premium most of them but will it harm to use regular gas? Thanks.
  • Options
    I've heard different things from different dealerships who I asked this same question. My conclusion? Every now and then is OK....Say, every other fill-up....
  • Options
    "...will it harm to use regular gas..."

In theory most modern cars have a computer that will retard the timing to prevent engine knock if you use regular. This comes with a lost of power of course. The question is, why would you buy the GT and then cheap out with the fuel? After all premium costs about 20 cents more than regular. That's $3 on a $50 fill-up.

I was talking to a friend who has a 2006 Eclipse and she said her dealer told her that some V-6 engines will knock on regular. The owners manual says only use regular in an emergency.

If you use regular all the time and something goes wrong with the engine, it may void your warranty. It's your car but I'd spend the extra 3 bucks and get all the smooth power that sweet 3.8L can give you. :)

• Options
    mamiyamamiya Member Posts: 21
    now have 2500 miles on it and still a little dissapointed with the engine noise, tin can interior sound, plastic interior that scuffs real easy in all the normal wear spots meaning the console where you clip in the seat belt and when you take it off it hits the door post and scratches it every time! The interior when heats up from sun gives off a bad enough oder that it makes my eyes tear!MPGs 24, also you can here the water flowing through the heating system in the dashboard for the first several minutes that you warm up the car( which takes longer than any car i've owned)..when heat does arrive, it blows hot up top and cold to the floor! Have to really slam the rear lid to close too. Also the lower part of the front bumper that has no grill in it to stop the rocks that could bounce up into the radiator and damage it! whats up with that.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the non-scuff-resistant interior plastic. My main complaint is about the seats. They need to be able to go back at least another click or two. I'm not used to sitting this upright in a car before. As far as your engine noises go, let the dealership know when you bring it back in for it's new vehicle break-in inspection (coincides usually with your first oil-change). Mine had some noises with the breaks and the dealership just went ahead and replaced them. I've never really smelt an unusual odor when the car gots hot inside.
  • Options
    Help! Is your engine noisy? I also get a little delay between gear shifts in auto.
  • Options
    "...you can hear the water flowing through the heating system..."

Have you checked the water level in the car? That sounds like you are low on coolant. The reluctant heating sounds like that too. You could have a leak or a factory screw up. Check it before you overheat your engine.

On the smell, never had a problem.

I own a GT but have driven the GS and didn't notice any unpleasant engine noise. The Eclipse has a "throaty" exhaust, is that what you mean?

I do agree that the interior scuffs easily. I have foot marks on the lower door interior from getting in and out. They seem to clean easily though. Too bad it doesn't come with a lighter colored interior.

• Options
    "...I also get a little delay between gear shifts..."

The Eclipse has an "adaptive" auto transmission. The way I understand it is that if you drive very conservatively the transmission will upshift sooner than if you drive "hard". The computer "learns" your driving style.

If the engine revs between shifts or bangs into the next gear it sounds like a low fluid level (again) in your transmission.

Sounds like you got a "Monday" car. Talk to your dealer.

• Options
    Te delay is upon hard acceleration, normal driving it's OK...did'nt know about the adaptive tranny!
  • Options
    Level is OK, exhaust is throaty but this is from the engine compartment area and you can hear the engine pretty good inside the car...maybe nature of the beast but it seems like no sound dampening was used anywhere in this car..I have a subaru,can't really hear the motor...toyota solara..no engine noise inside..had a probe 94 GT, really same body style as eclipse..has some road interior noise( like the eclipse) but could'nt hear the motor! Just makes the car sound like a tin can, really bugs me..the v6 is quiet!
  • Options
    "...makes the car sound like a tin can...the v6 is quiet..."

Boy, I'm stumped. I've driven both the 4and 6 cyl. Eclipse models and haven't heard the noise you described. I also have a Chrysler with a Mitsu engine and it is very smooth and not noisy.

Did you hear this noise when you took the test drive? Does your dealer say this is normal (yea, I know they say every noise is normal). How about an independent mechanic?

• Options
    robozxrobozx Member Posts: 1
    Yes i've had problems with the traction control light for many months now. I have taken it in many times and the techs anyways seem to just replace sensors. Recently i had gaskets replaced along with a sensor and today the light came on again with a Service Engine soon light. This is been a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and i have to wait another week for parts to come in, AND i can't drive the car because they don't know the problem. When i bought this car i loved it, now i just want it to get fixed well enough so i can get rid of the worthless thing.
  • Options
    "...so I can get rid of the worthless thing..."

Does your state have a "Lemon" law? If you have the same problem over and over without resolution you might get the dealer to buy it back from you. Just a thought.

• Options
    rolinrolin Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2007 Mitsu. Spyder Eclipse GT Convertible. Does anyone know if there is a trunk release anywhere in this vehicle? I can't find one and the book does not address this at all.
    Also, I am averaging 13 MPG city. Is this normal?

• Options
    albuqnowalbuqnow Member Posts: 2
    I also have the '07 Spyder GS 2.4. The trunk release is a black rubberized button under the wing on the trunk. Also there is a trunk release button on the key fob. I get about ~ 25 mph mostly local.
  • Options
    08 GS 2.4 Getting 18-19 around town- maybe 24 hwy! what's your secret..i'm conserv drive 55...is your engine noisy? In colder weather it seems noisy, now that the weather is warming up it does'nt seem as bad..DEALER SAYS NORM. I DON'T BUY IT. L ong Island NY gas $3.89 reg...$4.09 High...this is [non-permissible content removed]...I bought this car thinking it got good MPG's with 4 cly...
  • Options
    charlottesmomcharlottesmom Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. I just LOVE this car!! I need to know what I can use to remove the scuff marks off the interior vinyl surface...like the backs of the front seats and the lower parts of the door moldings.Also, is there anything I should be putting on the rag top to keep it clean and color fast??
  • Options
    wish I could tell you, the interior scuffs way to easy and it really is dissapointing. I've never had a car that scuffs this easy! Armorall is NG on the interior of this car..I tried it and it was a pain to get it even because the surface is not really smooth, like to much fine grain in the plastic!...I put car seat covers on to protect the backs and the fabric in my car....I'm really not crazy bout this car...mileage poor, engine is noisy, interior againg to quick...I can'nt go oooooooooonnnnnnnn, and I only have 3k on it.
  • Options
    Also I thought the top was factory trated? Check with the dealer before you take a chance putting anything on it..or just keep it down...LOL
  • Options
    "...I am averaging 13 MPG city..."

I drive my GT mostly in the suburbs and get 20 if I beat the hell out of it and 25 if I drive like an old fart. Average about 23.

To get 13 you must really be enjoying your car. :)

• Options
    "...to remove the scuff marks..."

Yea, it seems hard not to scuff the plastic on the door as you get in and out. I don't really like black interior for that reason. Try old-fashioned soap and water.

For the top I remember reading that it was really well put together and would last a long time. Maybe check with the dealer.

• Options
    I like to think of this car, since it is, as the cheapest convertible possible to get into complete with a set of training wheels. I knew this going in, so I'm not kicking myself at all. The fact of the matter is, this car is a head-turner. It looks good from the outside. Up close, sure, it's an eyesore (auto-scuffing plastic) and the vehicle handles like crap and guzzles gaz like my alcohoholic uncle Pete downs booze. To add insult to injury, the car suffers from heavy depreciation. For example, I bought the top-of-the-top-of-the-line model possible close to the end of the model year (spyder GT leather seats). In July of 2007, I paid exactly $28,888 for what was showing on the sticker to be around $36,000. Granted, my car hadn't been sitting on a lot for almost a year as I had rec'd it brand spanking new off the end of the assembly line. Even so, the moment I sat in it and drove it off the lot, the value of that car (realistically, let's not start quoting erroneous KBB values here) dipped below $20,000. Almost a year out, I'd be surprised if I could get $16,000 anywhere. If you don't believe me, check out the auto auction sites. This car was one of the most foolish purchases of my entire life (I probably owe 3 times its present value). Anyway, for those that did the same, enjoy it....
  • Options
    "...the car suffers from heavy depreciation..."

Just be glad you didn't buy a SUV. Now those are taking a hit. The Minor brands all have heavy depreciation. I recently read that the Kia Sedona was only worth 20% of MSRP after 5 years. :cry:

Next time buy a Honda. It won't depreciate but you'll learn what crap handling really is.

• Options
    I think you're right about just enjoing the car...I'll kick myself but when i'm washing the car by hand and really look at the sunset color it is, it really is a beautiful looking car and I'll just have too look at the better things! And I guess you really can't beat the warranty...I did notice that the engine is a little quietier in the warmer weather..dropped the air in the tires a little so it does'nt over steer and it rides a little better...heard a klunk from the rear over bumps but I think it is the car jack in the spare tire well that bounces around.
  • Options
    jos121212jos121212 Member Posts: 2
    im looking for a fast car and i cant seem to find the hp base on these when i finally found a 3000gt 5 speed, whats the hp on it and the 3000gt spyder? thanks
  • Options
    "...what's the hp on it?..."

Wikipedia says the last generation 3000 gt had between 159 and 320 hp depending on which model you purchased. Check it yourself. That last number seems high. 1 kW is equal to 1.34 hp.

If it really had 320 hp that would be one fast machine. :)

• Options
    Anyone have an opinion on the 2009 Eclipse? I think it's a step down from the current model. They seem to be trying to attract the boy-racer crowd with the blacked-out grill and the big spoiler.

In my opinion it's a waste of time. The young drivers who made the gen I and II so popular have written the Eclipse off years ago. Trying to get them back without addressing their complaints ( weight, FWD etc.) is doomed to failure. :cry:

• Options
    sethzgramsethzgram Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My son just bought a 2007 Eclipse. We live in the mountains of Pennsylvania and I'm just wondering how this car will handle in our winter driving conditions which can be pretty bad sometimes. Does anyone out there have any real winter driving experience?
  • Options
    I have winter driving experience although not yet in my 2007 spyder eclipse. Whenever I do drive during winter conditions with my other vehicles though, my concern is more about the experience of the other drivers as many a time I have left intersections to look in my rear-view to see the amazing sight of inexperienced winter drivers spinning and crashing into each other.

My main suggestion would be to absolutely demand that he keep his tires in as close to perfect condition by proper rotation (come to think about that I've been debating my Mitsubishi dealership about that very topic for I get my tires rotated every oil-change; a little excessive, I know). The service manager stated that Mitsubishi only endorses a straight front-to-back (zero-criss-cross) rotation. Personally, I have always come from the school of front-to-back (criss-cross) rotations. Anyone out there have any comments or wisdom to support one method over the other?
  • Options
    xraymanrrxraymanrr Member Posts: 34
    I had my 2006 ecclipse in for inspection today.
    dealer told me that there is carbon build up in the throttle body(replaces carburator in this car). He told me, they could clean it out for $120. They recommend you do this every year. Is this a worth while service ? Is this a scam ? any advice ? if valid, what should be the frequency.
  • Options
    I have had my 2007 Spyder for 2 full New England Winters so far and I have not had any difficulty at all driving in snow, ice, sleet...you name it. This car is a joy to drive...admittedly more so in the current sunny 80 degree weather we are enjoying!
  • Options
    "...real winter driving experience?..."

That model Eclipse is equipped with traction control which will prevent wheel spin on slippery roads. The FWD also gives you better winter traction. One of the criticisms of the Eclipse is it's weight, but that also gives you better winter driving.

You don't say if his car is the 4 or 6 cyl. The 6cyl. GT has a lot of power and will spin the wheels easily if you have a heavy foot.

• Options
    "...Is this a scam?..."

Are you using cheap gas? Do you do a lot of stop and go driving? If so you can get deposits. The old solution was to go out on the highway and "blow the carbon out" by fast acceleration or speed.

If you do have deposits that treatment can help. $120 for dumping a can of cleaner into the intake seem steep. Every year seems excessive.

Check the Maintaince section here on Edmunds.

• Options
    I've been reading on other forums that Mitsu is having problem with paint chipping off some of their cars. Lancer and Endevor seem to have the most problems, particularly with black.

How about you Eclipse owners? Any problems with paint chipping, clear coat failure or color fade?

• Options
    6700 miles 2008 eclipse, no problem yet other than chip from stone on front hood but I am concerned that the heat from the exhaust manifold may cause a paint problem! If you look under the hood of a galant with same 2.5 the hood has insulation( which also quiets down the motor noise) and the eclipse does not..dealer does'nt know why. If you check it out the clerence is the same! The galant & eclipse are the same platform. I hope the paint does'nt fade or peel.
  • Options
    phyltrephyltre Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have a similar problem hearing the motor.. seems sometimes I'm enjoying the sound of drive and other times it catches my attention as being noisy. I've especially noticed, thanks to a friend of mine for bringing it up!, that it seems there's a leak in weather stripping somewhere...like a window is open?
    But my main reason for jumping in is this: a sound I will never forget and certainly sounds a lot like "motor noise" - I had a wheel bearing needing to be replaced. Could that possibly be the issue? THAT was a noise you couldn't drown out.
  • Options
    jjsclipsybabiijjsclipsybabii Member Posts: 1
    I have the 06 gt and its a special pearsceant color. And the paint chipped on the front bumper and the rear bumper. Not on the flat places but where the bumpers curve
  • Options
    I have owned my 2007 Spyder for 2 yrs now and I still smile everytime I turn her on!
    I have had no problems whatsoever with this car,and that includes winter driving in New England.The car was a 50th birthday present from my entire family and she has brought me a great deal of joy. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sporty convertible with lots of cool options. Mine is the Still Blue color which was only run during the 07 production year, so I have only seen one other one like her in the 2 years I have been driving her.I wasn't sure I would get much top down driving time in our climate, but with the heated seats I often drive her top down into the Fall....like I will today since its going to be 68 degrees this afternoon! :shades:
  • Options
    firststepfirststep Member Posts: 3
    i just got my GT last month. Runs great. My only concern is the front lamp, its only light up 10 feet on front of the car, makes me turn on high beam all of time when i am driving at night.
    Anyone has the same problem? Anyone knows how to fix it?
  • Options
    "...its only light up 10 feet on front of the car..."

The Eclipse is fairly low to the ground so it may seem that the headlights don't reach that far out. What did you drive before? A SUV for example would have better throw because it's up higher.

That makes me think, the 2009s have new HID headlights which are supose to be brighter. Anyone know if you can put HID or halogen bulbs in the '06-'08 models?

• Options
    silveroak1silveroak1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there ever put tire chains on their Eclipse? Owner's manual for the 2006 says you can't use them but I'm going to be in ski area and may need them to travel. Please advise if you have used the chains and, if so, how they worked.
  • Options
    "...ever put tire chains on their Eclipse?..."

If the owner's manual says no I wouldn't do it. Might void your warranty. Besides, would you ever forgive yourself if your chains threw a link and you had to listen to it banging up your nice ride?

If you really HAVE TO put chains on I would call your dealer service tech and ask why the manual says not to. Might save you some trouble. There's plenty of clearance in those wheel wells so I don't know why chains wouldn't fit.

• Options
    My advice is to rent an allwheel drive car for the trip, the eclipse sucks in the snow! It's a warm weather car/
  • Options
    zeppyrzeppyr Member Posts: 1
    2006 47k miles clear and paint is chip'n off rear bumper under hatch about a 10"x10" section on drivers side dealer says im SOL =(
  • Options
    "...paint is chip'n off rear bumper under hatch..."

Is that on the plastic bumper or the metal? That sucks that the dealer won't stand up. What's his excuse? :(