Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are You Happy with Tacoma? - Part II

Comments

• bassratbassrat Member Posts: 3
    has anyone had vibration that feels like it comes from the rear of the truck. When i am towing it gets really bad. It is a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 with 30000 miles. Perhaps it is just the tires, or maybe the trailer?(vibration not very noticeable without trailer). It has the Good Year GSA 31" on it. I am going to try to tow a different trailer to see if the problem goes away. If anyone has run into this, please let me know. Thanks.
  • hcal87hcal87 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to find a Silver Tacoma Prerunner V6 without TRD and Stepside for over 3 1/2 months now. Buying this truck is even worst than BMW X5 and Acura MDX because there isn't even one available in Southern California. I ordered one 2 1/2 months ago and I have a suspicion that they just use me to sell the truck to the highest bidder when it comes in. I talked to a Toyota representative and they told me that TRD are the ones that most dealers are ordering, but when I go to dealerships those are the ones they have difficulty selling. All the Toyota Car salesman knows about it now. I do not know if the shortage is deliberate on the part of the dealers or Toyota. Either way it is bad business.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    We are looking for a 4X4 Taco with out TRD (I don't need $1500 in shocks and wheels). The sticker on the side of the truck does nothing for me either. Everytime I see the TRD sticker, I wonder if the owner is joking with themselves saying, "My truck has Turd."

The dealers say that we won't find a 4WD with out Turd. I don't know if I believe them. But my question is, if the dealers are going to order them with Turd only, why offer the OPTION of getting or not getting the Turd package?

If you are only going to order them with the package, just make it a different model.

John
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I have a '99 Taco ext cab 4x4 w/TRD, 4 cyl, manual. 18k on the odo. I have had a slight shimmy consistently at 60-65 mph since new. Had the tires rotated and balanced twice at the dealer with no improvement, they said Goodyears were to blame. Took it to Goodyear, they said nothing wrong, balanced and rotated them anyway, no improvement. Went back to dealer, they replaced two front tires at n/c, problem was helped, but not gone. Since I purchased lifetime rotation and balancing from Goodyear, took it back there after 5k on the new tires for oil change and tire rotation and balancing, problem got worse again. Went back told them I read about something here on Edmonds called "hubcentric" balancing needed for the Toyo aluminium rims. Service manager looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Another guy came over and said, you know, we got this thingy mabob for Toyota rims, lets try that. Big improvement, shimmy went away! Turns out to be some device they put on the rim while it's being balanced to compensate for the weight of the lug nuts and to make sure the tire is sitting dead center on the machine.
    Went back 5k later for another oil change and tire rotate, now shimmy is back again! But not so bad. Have lived with it and is now almost due for another Goodyear visit. This time I'll mention to them again about the "hub balancer" and make sure they know what the heck I'm talking about.
    In conclusion (sorry for the long post), I think those fat Goodyears on the aluminum rims and with the TRD stiff suspension just allows no room for sloppy balancing. I will replace these with maybe BF AT's when the time comes, but that might be awhile as after 18K on the wranglers, there is hardly any noticeable wear.
    Otherwise, I love my Toy!
    Awesome post regarding the vibration. I'll watch for it when we buy ours in the next few weeks.

We've pretty much done our homework with what model, options and price ranges and financing we are looking for but could use some more input from recent buyers...

Is there anyone out there who has recently purchased a Taco 4X4 V6 SomethingorOther with tips/advice on dealing with Toy dealers??? We have visited dealerships, taken several test drives and talked some turkey but more information is better at this point.

John
    Just curious if anyone has seen any news on these?

John
  • 4lubes4lubes Member Posts: 7
    Yes, a child seat will fit in the rear passenger side of a Taco ma. It has a little fold out shelf that when you fold up the seat cushion provides a secure platform on which to mount the car seat. I believe however it is only on that one side. I have a four year old and an eight year old and I wanted to make sure they could ride in the back occasionally when we would take the truck instead of the mini van. I tested this at the dealership, because I was trying to decide between the XtraCab or the Double Cab. The Double Cab was nice and had a great rear seat, but after losing 13 inches out of the bed I was afraid I wouldn't be able to haul much with it (mulch, firewood, lumber, etc...) So I decided on the XtraCab (4x4, V-6, 5-spd, SR-5) It was built last week and should be delivered next week!
    My wife and I are looking to purchase the same truck. If you don't mind me asking, did you get a good deal?

John
  • austexasaustexas Member Posts: 2
    I've been researching DC Taco options:
    Cruise Control - $250
    Speed Control - $255
    I definitely want Cruise Control..but what does Speed Control do?
    Thanks.
    Hum...that's a good one. I thought they were one in the same. Have you confirmed via other sites that this is an option (kbb.com, carsdirect.com, etc).

My inclination is that this is a typo. Cruise/Speed control are the same to me.

John
  • 4lubes4lubes Member Posts: 7
    John, I'm in the St. Louis, MO. area and what I'm getting is the Tacoma XtraCab 4x4, V-6, 5-spd, Model #7553 with options IX-SR-5 Pkg.,OF-TRD Pkg,PP-Pwr Pkg, BL-bedliner, CF-mats, BU-bucket seats, CL-cruise, & WR-sliding rear window. KBB/Edmunds says the cost is $21,429 invoice without Nat. Adv., Prep. ect... The dealer has told me total invoice is $21,887 which includes these (I believe the Nat. Adv. fee is about $250 of it) so we're not that far off and he's selling it to me for $300 over invoice for $22,187. My guess is that out on the West coast where you are, the trucks are going for almost sticker?
    But I believe we are getting a good deal. Looks like you did too. Anywhere between $300 - $500 above invoice is a good deal because there are additional marketing costs inherent in the truck you are buying that you don't see on the sticker. Marketing costs for one and other things like keeping the lights on (which is hard to do lately in the CA, Bay Area) and sales commissions.

With your deal it looks like the dealer made about $300 but I bet only about $100 of that is profit. That's a good deal for you and them.

When I get my numbers on paper I'll post them here with the options we're getting but it's pretty much the same except it's SR5 LX. Right now we're in the middle of getting the paperwork signed (the dealer that gave us the best deal is an hour away so we're doing the up front stuff over the phone and through the mail).
  • jbousquinjbousquin Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2000 Taco SR5 4X4 Ext. Cab. Everytime I see someone in the Nissan Frontier, I think to myself, Yeah, you wish you bought the Toyota....

But, recently I've had a problem with my Taco rocking back and forth at highway speeds. I've heard of this problem happening before with other Taco owners, and it seems to be caused by either the shocks or the leaf springs. I'm taking it to the dealer to see whether they'll fix it or not. Wish me luck.
    Not sure but this wouldn't happen when say you have 3/4 or 1/2 a tank? Gas swishing in the tank in an empty pickup will tend to do this.

I assume this is happening when at constant speeds?
  • john217john217 Member Posts: 10
    On the parts sticker, engine & transmission parts say japan; are they made in japan and shipped over, or are the parts shipped over and the engines and transmissions asembled here? Also, is either engine, 2.7l or 3.4l, inherently more durable or problem free than the other? Have an 88 carry 191,000 miles, no problems, would like to have a similar experience with a taco ma.
    Thanks for your help, John
    For the most part, the Engine, tranny and other major components are shipped over and arrive in the Bay area. Most Taco's are assembled in Fremont with subsequent components arriving from subcontracts with Toyota built in the US or elsewhere.

Once assembled, the truck is shipped from Fremont to the rest of the Country. There may be other points of entry into the US however this is how most of us get em.

John
  • cwochscwochs Member Posts: 2
    Just put 1000 miles on my new dcab bought in the beginning of April. And I like it alot. It has more power and a quieter engine than the ugliest truck in the world (frontier) and should last me the next 15 years vs 3 for the domestic cousin (Dakota). I had ordered a basic dcab back in January (Basic meaning almost all v6 dcabs come with automatic with power and SR5 packages.) I had wanted 2 other options, Hitch and ABS. Hitch was no problem but the Gulf States rocket scientists determined that I didn't need ABS and therefore could not get it. I do a lot of city and highway driving and believe the ABS is worth the $600 bucks. At the end of march someone ran a stop sign and totalled my jetta (instant down payment). I found a basic dcab with 2 options, sliding rear window and a hitch. Dealer took a $1000 off and I bought it. I love it but would love it more with ABS. Good luck to anyone buying exactly what they want in the Gulf region.
    Yeah...there appear to be many limitations on the trucks available in the gulf states. Don't feel too bad though...we wanted the ABS as well. It took us 2 weeks to find one with it and we had to wait a month to get it. It's due at the dealer this Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed...

John
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    Or for that matter, good luck to anyone trying to find a Toyota anywhere that's not just about loaded to the gills with equipment!I'd love to get a Double cab with nothing on it, but that's an impossibility! And I think ABS should just be standard across the line. The Japanese are quirky about this option(Honda, too!), and it's always expensive as heck or never is available with it until you buy the top-of-the-line model. The Germans wouldn't think of selling a car without ABS . Yes, trucks need ABS almost more than cars , in some cases. But the Tacoma should come with an ABS-off-switch. Maybe it does, I haven't been in one lately. Also-- has anyone heard about the Tacoma redesign for 2002? I don't mean this new "grille update" on the 2001 , I'm talking about a ground-up redesign. It's in the works for sure, but it might arrive in 2003 instead, or so I hear. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Looks like the redesign is slated for 2003...we'll have to wait to see what that' all about I guess.

No ABS switch to turn it off but I'm not sure any vehicle has that. I'm willing to be wrong I've just never heard that before. And why is the Volvo one of the most safest cars to drive? Check the Beer drinkage stats in those countries! LOL Those Germans and Swedish peoples sure do know their beers.

Base model Tacos are pretty easy to find if you want a 4X2 Regular Cab...I think the Dealers will only order what they think they can sell. You're best bet will be a PreRunner DoubleCab I think and bite the preverbial bullet on the Options list.

John
  • bhjunkbhjunk Member Posts: 9
    I am in the same boat as hcal87. I've been trying to get a Lunar Mist Prerunner Doublecab SR5 w/o Off-Road. They are out there. Mine is supposed to be in by 5/30. I'm trying to get one sooner, but nobody wants to trade them around. I feel the dealer is stalling on getting one sooner so they don't have to give up a higher profit vehicle in exchange. I'm almost ready to get the TRD just so I can get the truck. The cost difference is $410 MSRP, $283 between invoices prices.

MSRP $22,497 Invoice $20,612 w/o TRD
    MSRP $22,907 Invoice $20,895 w/TRD
    The advertising costs in So. Cal are $256.

Which dealer are you working with?
    You gave the MSRP and the Invoice but I'm curious as to what deals the dealer is making you? Let us know.

Also, IMHO if you can afford the TRD and really want the truck...go for it. You can always take the stickers of with a good hair dryer later. If you can wait it out, you will eventually get the truck you want for if they build it, it will come.

John
  • 3601036010 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced this problem. I've had a 96, a 2000, and a 2001, and the dash has rattled on everyone of them. Mostly in colder weather. Any solutions would be appreciated
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I have a '99 Ext cab 4x4 w/TRD and I have noticed a rattling also, but I don't think it is the dash. I have noticed it only happens on cold mornings when I turn the heat selector over to hot. If I back off full heat just a little, the vibration stops. If I turn it back to full hot, it starts again. My theory is that the cable that adjusts the heat is just barely touching something hard behind the dash and causing it to vibrate. I thought if I could locate the cable and maybe wrap a piece of thin foam around the rub point, maybe it would take care of it. It hasn't been that bad of a vibration to make it worth taking back to the dealer. Anyone else notice this?
  • dsdrvr01dsdrvr01 Member Posts: 10
    94 not a tacoma obviously but it had a nice rattle never was able to track it down. Annoying until you turned up the radio.
  • briancorrbriancorr Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2001 and my dash squeeks/rattles. I have tried just about everything except for bringing it back to the dealer. I have removed the radio, glove box and all the trim around the radio, and refastened everything. Still squeeks. I sprayed some silicone spray around everything and it stopped for a couple days and then started again. I am pretty sure it is the plastic squeeking but can't locate exactly which piece or where.
  • bhjunkbhjunk Member Posts: 9
    I finally got one last night. We settled on a white SR5 w/off-road. We got it for $500 over invoice ($21,449) at Escondido Toyota. The deal on the silver w/o off-road was $907 over invoice (21,519) at Poway Toyota. I played the go to the dealer at the end of the day game. They all wanted to go home so they were quicker to strike a deal. We got out of there at 11pm.

The ride is a bit stiff. I test drove the finance manager's demo car which did not have off-road and had Bridgestone tires. It rode much smoother. When it comes time to change the tires, I'll take a look at putting Bridestones or something smoother riding on mine.
  • glenn54glenn54 Member Posts: 23
    I've just put about 2,500 miles on my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab. The factory tires installed are Dun lop AT21 Grand treks (P265/70R16). The proper tire pressure according to the spews on the door pocket plate is 26 psi. When I checked them they were at 36 psi. I called the dealership and asked why the extra 10 ls and was told that I should drop the pressure down to the fact spews of 26 psi. I'm curious as to wonder if any other tacoma drivers out there with this tire had them over inflated by the dealer.
    Sorry. spews. not "spews"
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I run 35 in the front and 32 in the rear.
  • summerprojectsummerproject Member Posts: 20
    Anyone have any idea about when/if Toyota will be running any national incentives or rebates on the pick up line? last month, before I was ready to buy,they had a $500 cash back in Vermont(just across the border from me), but June doesn't seem to be a good month to buy.
    The "Toyota Summer sellathon" must be coming up soon. When do the 2002s hit the dealers? July or August?
    damn straight.

John
  • smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    Just like John, I am a new taco owner and am real happy with my purchase.

Btw John, You said earlier that you were looking into getting a camper shell and a grille guard. What did you buy?

Steve Cohen
  • capstancapstan Member Posts: 1
    Like post #232 I'm also wondering about the 2002 models. I'm thinking that I want a regular (not extended) cab Tacoma but it appears that there are very few of those available in Texas. The miniscule cab extension costs thousands extra, a high-margin item for Toyota I'm sure, and while it may be useful for groceries etc. I don't want to pay for it.

But if I want to order a specific truck it will take at least 60 days to arrive. That gets very close to September which could be when the 2002's start to come out. I could wait a month and not take the 1-year-older hit?

It seems that in gulfcoast states all Toyotas come through a mega-distributor and they determine what cars the dealers stock. Would it be more likely that I could find what I'm looking for in Oklahoma, for example?
  • tc93tc93 Member Posts: 19
    Same situation on the southeast as you evidently have in the gulfcoast states. The mega Toy distributor in Jax has all the southeastern dealers by the short hairs. Not only are the dealers hamstrung over their allotment, but I'm told the dist. dictates what they'll sell the vehicles for as well - I'm not just talking about the MSRP either.
  • slamedtacomaslamedtacoma Member Posts: 18
    im 18 and just bought my frist car. i boutght a 98 tacoma. its base down to the stick shift. but its a great truck. my fried recdently bought a ranger (the truck i wanted). but im glad i got my Taco. its smaller. better on gas. faster. more powerful. also alot more solid. brand new his rattles alot. and i have not yet had a rattle., and mine is older.
    anyone else hear of this?
    this is typical of american built verses japanese.
    I remember being 18 and wanting a 4X4 Toy more than, well the other thing you want at 18.

Enjoy,
    John
  • 2ktaco2ktaco Member Posts: 2
    i just recently in the past 2 months recieved a 2000 tacoma ext cab, 4x4, with the 2.7L, has anyone added any aftermarket exhaust or any other performance things, all i have so far in a K & N air filter, i felt i little power increase,
    i'm just trying to squeeze a lil more power out of it, any help appreciated, thanks
    There are two things you can do to increase performance and one you can't...

1. Improve the intake
    2. Improve the exhaust

But you can't:
    1. change the engine displacement...
  • 2ktaco2ktaco Member Posts: 2
    yea i know that much, i was looking more for some examples, like which brand of exhaust have you used, what it sounds like, if you can tell the power increase, and things like that

i was also wondering if i can get a performance chip for a tacoma, i read about em for Fords, Chevy's, GM's, all the time, never hear jack about toyota's, do they even make em.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I love the name Taco for my truck - I far prefer burritos. I have a 2000, xtra cab, 4x2, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, purchased new 9 months ago and now has 27,000 miles. It gets very good gas mileage (28-30 mpg), can go up steep freeway mountains in 4th gear without losing too much speed, and has never required any extra maintenance.

However, the seats are really horrible. We didn't realize how uncomfortable they would become during the 10 minute test drive. We commute an hour and a half each way to work, and after a month, both of us were having hip stiffness. In addition, I have ankle problems and can't sit with my foot bent down flat on the floor for any length of time. We've tried adding additional padding to the back for extra support and to the bottom, so that you don't feel like you are sitting with your knees around your ears, but it hasn't made much difference. Has anyone found anything to help these seats? By the way, I never had any problems with the seats in an old Nissan Hardbody pickup (bought new '88, went 290,000 miles, sold when I blew the auto tranny a second time, engine was still running great) or my '98 Wrangler.

If I don't find something to take care of the problem, I'll have to dump it, and I'm very much on the wrong side of the loan, since the Taco is so new. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Sorry. I couldn't resist.

You may want to check out the after-market post in the Maintenance section of Edmunds Town Hall.

John
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    I am considering trading in my '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport for a '98 Toyota Tacoma SR5 ext. cab 5 speed with 4 banger. What are your experiences with this kind of truck? Anything I need to look for? What is the liter and power for the 16 valve 4 banger? The reason I want to trade is I'm having a hell of a time with my Sidekick, its been out of commission a month now, with a shot rear end at less than 35k. I found the perfect replacement in the Tacoma. Asking price is $17,995. It has no power windows or locks, but has am/fm/cass/cd, cruise, tilt, power sliding rear window (aftermarket I'm sure), brush guard and steps on the sides, along with the Reese towing package. The most I'd be towing would be a lawn mower type trailer or something. It has 27k on it, and is still considered "under warranty." What was the warranty terms on the '98s? Please feel free to give me your opinion and some info. I've left several posts in several places in the Town Hall over the past month or so about different vehicles and such. Also, if you have any advice on the Suzuki, please feel free to share that as well. Thanks!!!!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't know anything about the '98 Tacomas but I have the 2kTaco (a 2000 Tacoma). It is an ext. cab, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, SR5 with am/fm/cass/cd but without cruise, or tilt steering wheel. It has a camper back window (regular sliding opening) and we added a camper shell. I bought it NEW for $15,000 10 months ago, and it's probably only worth $14,000 retail on a good day (less than $13,000 wholesale), and that includes an extended waranty (I think it was 100,000). If the truck you are looking at is not a 4x4, I'm not sure all of the extras it has on it vs mine would be worth $18,000, but that's my opinion.

Mine has 34,000 miles on it, and I haven't had any problems with the engine or transmission. It will go up steep hills at highway speeds very nicely in 4th gear (better than many huge automatic V8 trucks and SUVs), and if the a/c isn't on it can make it most of the way up the steepest part of the Grapevine before I have to downshift. While its no big deal, second gear isn't geared as low as I would like - I find in slow and go traffic I have to shift more often than in the Wrangler (which has a very low 2d gear). I get 28-30 mpg on my long distance, almost all highway commute to work that goes from around 6,000 feet to sea level and then back up.

My only complaint with it is that the seats are terrible. There is no lumbar support at all so I often feel like my shoulders are being folded forward and slumped over. The seats are low - I feel like I have my knees around my ears, unless I stretch my legs out straight, which puts too much pressure on my bad archilles tendon and heel. They are so uncomfortable that we decided to drive a '98 Wrangler on a 3,000 mile trip instead of the Taco! I'm planning on replacing the seats sometime soon, if I can find something more comfortable.
    Uh... That sounds way pricey to me.

For that price you could look into a new 2001 Taco. I think the V6 PreRunners are in that price range. Or for that much you could get a new 4X4 with the 2.7L 4 banger (Vs. the 2.4L).

Sounds like you're looking for good info on the Taco and you're almost in the right place. Check out these links and pay close attention to the prices.

2001 PreRunner V6 Xtra Cab (4spd Auto Standard) http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/toyota/tacoma/2drxtracabprerunnerv62wdsb34l6cyl4a/prices.html

2001 4X4 2.7L 4cyl Xtra Cab (5spd Manual)
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/toyota/tacoma/2drxtracab4wdsb27l4cyl5m/prices.html

John
  • jshimonjshimon Member Posts: 7
    I read that you had a '95 v-6 and that you really liked it. I may be purchasing a '95 v-6 tacoma, but is it better to have the 3.0 liter engine or the 3.4? Is it much of a difference?
    Thanks for your info.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    The 3.4 is a big difference over the 3.0

40 hp and 40 torque
    There is no comparison.....the 3.4 rules over the 3.0 The 3.0 is way under powered ,trust me ive owned both!
    Just recently had a rock kicked up from a semi truck on the highway and dented my chrome front bumper.The dealer in my area (Maryland) estimates cost at $350 parts and labor to replace the chrome section of the front bumper (ouch!).
This discussion has been closed.