Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

A/C Issues, New to Car.

jooparnicojooparnico Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Volkswagen
Hey everyone!

So I bought a 2004 Jetta with the 2.0 engine yesterday. I got the car pretty cheap and was told that the issue with the A/C was because it was low on freon. I've never owned a Volkswagen before, but I assume A/C units are all similar. So I go to put in some freon into the low end of unit. I get about half of a 12 oz can or so in and I hear a loud Psst or shooting of the propellant. I look down and it looks like the the side of the compressor shot the oil filter with the coolant. I'm not sure if I sprung a leak of if it was just a valve that releases when there is too much pressure. I've only driven it for about 10-20 mins since and I can still occasionally hear the Psst sound. It is 96 degrees in my area if that makes a difference or not?

Before I checked the freon, I noticed that the car's air runs hot all the time, It doesn't really cool off at all. I checked to see if the climate controls were out of place and it was just blowing heated air from the heater, but it was fine.

Some other information, I noticed that the compressor kicks on, but only for like a second or two and then it shuts off for about 15 seconds or so and then repeats itself.

Any Suggestions on what could be wrong?
Thanks,
Josh

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,150
    "It probably just needs a charge" Yeah....Right!

Well, your seller didn't actually lie to you if they told you the system was low on Freon because it was!

Cars don't often need to have their A/C recharged unless there is a leak somewhere. It's normal to lose "some" Freon after quite a bit of time but not often.

If you physically saw Freon spraying out of the side of your compressor you have a MAJOR leak! You either have a hole or a crack in the compressor or it could be coming from a hose or a fitting.

The compressor is cycling itself off and on to protect they system. DO NOT continue to try running the A/C until you get the system checked out by a shop with the equipment and knowledge to do the job right.

Good Luck!