Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Poor Steering Feel and I Don't Mind - 2011 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited July 2016 in Hyundai

imagePoor Steering Feel and I Don't Mind - 2011 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

We lived with the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS for a year. Read all about our daily driving experiences in our long-term road test.

Read the full story here

Comments

• the_k_manthe_k_man Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    I nearly returned my 2013 Sonata Ltd I bought through Enterprise Rental sales because of that mushy steering! I did have to micro correct all of the time, and had to really concentrate to stay in my highway lane. Plus, I was going 5-10mph under the speed limit in it.

That was until I did some research and found out I was just one of thousands of customers with this same steering issue in 2011-2014 Sonatas. I found out about a Technical Service Bulletin: TSB-14-ST-001, aiding service depts how to set steering in response to customer requests.

So I showed it to my local dealership counter person, and he had
    a tech look at it within half an hour. He hooked up his computer to
    my dash, navigated to the sub menus concerning steering, and
    asked which mode I preferred: "GLS" "SE" or "Sport". I requested sport, and when on the highway 15 minutes later, it was as if I had been blind folded and sat in a BMW 5-series! Gone were the twitchiness and wandering at speeds over 30mph. I could drive confidently up to 80 mph in this Sonata, and have made it a keeper!

For those who prefer power steering you could blow on the
    steering wheel to turn it: More power to ya! I want a car
    that I can drive, not park easily. And there is nothing "relaxing"
    about finding yourself drifting into a lane(or shoulder!) you had no
    intention of being in. And it's not an alignment issue.