Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Easily Passes Smog - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited July 2016 in Dodge
imageEasily Passes Smog - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Before we could sell our 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 to a private party, it needed a smog check.

Read the full story here

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Posts: 893
    You paid $50 for a smog check? Bwahahaha! Is that how nuts things have got in California? It's that kind of BS that had me telling my boss not to bother sending me a move notice to CA as he would just receive my resignation as a reply.
  • schen72schen72 Posts: 433
    edited July 2016
    Yes, it's a mandatory $50-80 smog check every two years in CA. It's a pain in the rear. Everything is more expensive in CA, especially housing (if you live in a metro area).
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Easily Passes Smog. Well, doesn't everything easily pass smog in California? :p
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Posts: 471
    Huh. Fifty bucks every two years (and only if your car is more than 4 years old) doesn't even register as "expensive" to me. But then I really do hate air pollution.
  • reminderreminder Posts: 383
    I know one thing that should qualify as expensive out there & that's the cost for registration.
    Criminally high.
  • banhughbanhugh Posts: 315
    Don't the VW diesels also pass California's smog tests before they get fixed?
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Posts: 61
    banhugh said:

Don't the VW diesels also pass California's smog tests before they get fixed?

Diesel test appears to not involve tail pipe emissions: http://m.smogtips.com/diesel-smog-test.cfm
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    The OBDII test is supposedly better than a tailpipe test would be. Expect when a manufacturer cheats.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Posts: 606
    $50 for a smog check every 2 years after the first 5 is hardly overtaxation, which I what I presume you meant by "nuts". (To me, nuts is expecting cleaner air to happen for free.)
  • rysterryster Posts: 570
    $75-$100 per year in PA for safety and emissions inspections. The CA fees are nothing,
  • daryleasondaryleason TexasPosts: 501
    So did Edmunds find a buyer for the SRT Charger? Is it still sitting in your garage, waiting on someone to buy it?