Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Big Has It Become? - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Honda
imageHow Big Has It Become? - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Honda Civic is bigger than ever. In fact, it's nearly as roomy as the Honda Accord was about 15 years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Exterior dimensions are less useful in this comparison than interior volume and things like leg and shoulder room.

But in general, yes I would think that the Civic is all the sedan that a couple with 1 or 2 kids really needs.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    And it's not too far from the 2014 TSX Sedan:

Length: 186
    Width: 72
    Wheelbase: 106.5

Can a fully loaded top of the line Civic be replacement for those who miss the TSX?
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I agree with @bankerdanny-- partly. Exterior dimensions tell you less about seating comfort than interior measurements like passenger compartment volume or leg and shoulder room. But lacking those, exterior width and wheelbase give you a good sense of how cabin space compares. The Civic is close to the 2002 Accord in those dimensions so it should fit approximately like a family sedan from two iterations back.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    maybe we are all skinny here... but when i owned small cars the issue was rarely leg/knee room. people will deal with that. it is the shoulder room that killed the deal. passengers don't mind being close to the back of a seat as much as they don't want their elbows/shoulders/legs touching each other.

that the civic is as wide as the 2002 accord is most telling i think. americans may be somewhat taller than they were a few decades ago, but we are definitely much more "wider" on average.

2002 civic width is 67.5 according to edmunds.com.

the way i see it, width is necessity, length is luxury.