Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Easy to Lose in a Parking Lot - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Kia
imageEasy to Lose in a Parking Lot - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

The design of the 2011 Kia Optima helped change the way Americans thought about Kia. Unfortunately, the new 2016 Optima looks considerably more anonymous.

Read the full story here

Comments

• markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    The loaded up Optimas look pretty nice, but they're just blah to drive and the plain jane ones are just that. Not sure what the answer is if you're trying to sell mass consumption versions for rental cars. Maybe use some design cues from the Mazda Shinari?
    As an aside, my friend just got a K900 and I flippin' love that thing. 420 HP in a very nice and classy looking vehicle at a ridiculously low lease (local dealer had them for $0 money down and $395 month all-in for a few weeks until they sold out of them). Still kicking myself for not getting one.
  • bloodyrbloodyr Member Posts: 11
    Any base level silver sedan will get lost in the sea of Costco disciples. This reminds me, with the departure of the Viper the edmunds fleet is severely lacking in the sporty, performance category. Can we expect some new additions soon? Hellcat, GT 350R, new Camaro, Infiniti Q50 Red Sport?
  • bloodyrbloodyr Member Posts: 11

As an aside, my friend just got a K900 and I flippin' love that thing. 420 HP in a very nice and classy looking vehicle at a ridiculously low lease (local dealer had them for $0 money down and $395 month all-in for a few weeks until they sold out of them). Still kicking myself for not getting one.

Just pick up a used one. The drop in value on these (and the Equus) is comical. In my area, I can get a certified 2013/2014 Equus for mid-20s. I want my wife to replace her minivan with one of these things. She is dubious.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I spotted the Optima in the article photo right away...

But yeah, I actually think the 2011 Optima was more attractive than the 2016, inside & out. I have to assume that the 2016 rides better, though.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    The Optima is moving to the Camry Borg like styling. Resistance is futile! Thank goodness for cars like the Mini, Miata etc.
  • bladedogbladedog Member Posts: 1
    Last year I was shopping for a sedan and was shocked at how vanilla the Optima had become compared to four or five years ago. It reminds me of a Camry, and that's not a compliment. Interestingly, the Koreans did the same thing with the Hyundai Sonata. I ended up buying a Mazda 6 and love it. It's sporty and stylish and it resembles no other car on the road.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    It's that rear quarter window, for me. I wonder if Schreyer didn't work on this one.
  • charltoncharlton Member Posts: 21
    fintail said:

It's that rear quarter window, for me. I wonder if Schreyer didn't work on this one.

I like that rear quarter window. Doesn't add much to the inside-out visibility but surely does let the light in. Also, makes the car look longer.

Overall a good car. Now let's see how it holds up over the years. Hate that DCT, though. Veloster and Tuscon guys complain too.

-BC
  • 57_chevy57_chevy Member Posts: 1
    Styling is subjective. Edmunds reviewer Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, said the following on May 16, 2016:

"I walked out to my driveway, key in pocket, as my neighbor passed by. He said he liked the Optima's styling, which I've found is one of the first things most people say about this car. It's fun to watch their reactions when you tell them the Optima was styled by a guy who was Audi and Volkswagen's former design boss (Peter Schreyer). There's always an "a-ha" moment, as if now it all makes sense."

The current incarnation is more fluid than the 2011 version. The non-glitz interior is inspired by a BMW 2002. The Korean-German Optima collaboration is unique.

Now, if one could order the rack-mounted power steering, 18" wheels, sport suspension and bolstered seats with the 1.6 liter turbo and the 7-speed DCT, that would be nice: stytle, handling, real back seat, large trunk and 40 mpg.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    This is why I will never own another silver car.

However, I have a 13 Optima Hybrid, and I can't easily distinguish the 'new' ones from my 'old' one.