Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

HYBRID ABS PROBLEM

cindyruncindyrun Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Toyota
I was driving a month ago and all of a sudden my display had lights and flashing messages that said there was an ABS brake malfunction and I should immediately pull over and seek assistance. I drove slowly to my mechanic who checked my brakes and told me they were fine.When I picked up my car all was well and the scary messages were gone. A week later they were back. Second trip to the mechanic. They replaced some fuses and once again the warnings disappeared. Fast forward a week and they were back. This time the mechanic had to replace my battery (only 8 months old) and finally did enough research to tell us it was a computer modulator that needed to be replaced to the tune of $2400! Yikes! How can Toyota charge so much for something that is a safety issue? Does the modulator just control the messages or does this message mean my ABS system is not working? Am I at risk if I continue to drive it, or can I ignore this warning? Could the blown fuses and dead battery be related to the problem?

This problem has us wondering if it is time to get a new car that is NOT a Toyota. We would appreciate any advice we can get. I love my car, but don't want to invest such a huge sum of money for an 8 year old car if this will be a recurring problem.

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Is this the dealer's mechanic?
  • Options
    cindyruncindyrun Member Posts: 2
    No my regular mechanic. Went to local Toyota dealership and they want to charge $150 to diagnose which is pretty lame. Also the part they think I need is an actuator. I have been reading posts of other Toyota owners who had the same problem and are battling with Toyota. I don't even want to drive it now!