Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner

sdueboaysdueboay Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in Toyota
Hey all...

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner, 2-wheel drive with a bit over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The body is in fantastic shape and overall it's in great condition. It's a "crew cab" style, with four full doors. It has the 5VZ FE V-6 engine in it. I bought it in its present condition. The engine got really hot and blew a hole in the radiator. After getting pricing for head work, gasket kit, new radiator hoses, water pump and all of the replaceable cooling components, it's going to be between $650 - $900 for parts and machine work, depending on what I have done and what brand of parts I buy.

I'm seriously considering just replacing the entire engine, considering the high mileage and the heating issues. What other year of Tacoma's will the engine be a straight swap from?

Thanks for you help.

Steve