Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Question about transmission - '72 Roadrunner

leftyk76leftyk76 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Plymouth
I have a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner. The car is never pushed or abused. It is mostly used for leisure and for neighborhood auto shows. the car is never abused and it is always driven with safety in mind. I just had the transmission rebuilt. Within 5 days, the transmission "went" again, and had the same issue as it did before. The shop told me that the 'planet" was shuttered and that it is my fault for abusing it therefore it is not their responsibility. The car got stuck inside my neighborhood at 10 miles per hour. Is is even possible that the planet shutters due to a factory defect? How does this work?

Answers

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Who installed the transmission?
    If you did and the planetary is shattered, then you didn't get the torque converter in all the way and when the bell housing was tightened, it forced the torque converter into the planetary or sun gear.
    So if you did the install, you may be stuck. But if I were you, I'd find a new shop to deal with.
    The reason I say this is that if things are breaking in 5 days, then I would have to question their quality of parts they are using.

Even if you were drag racing the car, the trans should hold up pretty well, especially since those transmissions came out of the factory built to hold up to hot rodding. After all, that is what a Muscle Car was marketed as.

If they did the install, then it should be on them, but you'll likely have to fight them on it.
    Either way, it would be in your best interest to find another shop who specializes in classic transmissions.