Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What should the 2007 Chevy Silverado have?

xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I think the 2007 Chevy Silverado should have a fully-boxed frame.

It also needs GM's 4200 I-6. It has 4.2 liters, 275 hp, and 275 lb-ft of torque. Here is a picture of it.

I also think it needs a better interior.

I hope it gets a new 6 speed automatic transmission.

What do you think?

Comments

• wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Toyota reliability! :lemon:
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Have you read the problems from Toyota boards?
    I think some engineering is due for the old SilverSierra twins, but I don't think I'd go that far.
    I would say with the horsepower wars still raging, you would hopefully see the 5.3 get around the 300 mark to offset the Titan. A refreshing of the interior is in order. It is user friendly, but all the mags and reviews slam it for being outdated.
    If I could have my wishes:
    5.3 pumps out 300hp with 350-375ft-lbs of torque. No Hybrid stuff, just get that Displacement On Demand working
    5(or 6) speed automatic
    a little nicer interior plastics
    sportier gauge package
    i know this one is stupid but orange turn signals not red
  • osubeavosubeav Member Posts: 56
    The aluminum 5.3L Vortec H.O. in my 2005 Silverado 4x4 is rated at 310 HP. I don't remember the torque rating. I also got 19mpg on my first tank, so I'm pretty happy.

I pretty much like everything about my pickup. The few things I would change are:

firmer seats with more thigh support,

standard cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, or at least a cancel button,

and the wiper controls on a right hand stalk like 90% of all other vehicles so that I don't have to take my hand off of the wheel to use it.

I hope GM resists the urge to turn the SilverSierra ( I like that) into the monstrosities that Ford and Dodge have become. They are currently the best looking full-sized pickups on the market, IMHO.

As for the Toyota comment, I hope my pickup is more reliable than my boss' Tundra. He had to put in a new transmission at 60k and just ended up replacing the fuel pump, which set him back about $500. :confuse:
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Do you read third party reliability studies?

People with perfect vehicles rarely post, no matter what the brand.
    I based my comment on research over the past few months of looking at web pages, talking to people and reading several magazines long term tests and listening to my brother complain about his Tacoma made me question Toyota as the reliabilty king. I'm not bashing the big T, I have owned 3 Toyotas and they were great. But, I have also owned 2 GMs and they were just as reliable.
    Like you say, most posts(here anyway) are about complaints and I know you can get a bad car from any manufactuer, but I just felt I got more for the money with GM. Of course, now you hexed me and my truck will break down Monday morning- thanks, wooddorker... LOL!
    Hey, is it too late to wish for the return of rear disc brakes??
    Maybe an option of the new all-aluminum LS-7???
  • bowtiedbowtied Member Posts: 1
    1. I would vote for some under-bed tool storage like the H3T prototype has or possibly an in bed trunk similar to the new Honda. Also, the empty space in the bed between the outer skin and the inner bed is wasted space on a truck. How about some storage there?
    2. Find a better place for the jack. Putting it behind the seat just gets in the way. Put it under the hood like it was in the 70's.

I've owned 5 Chevy pickups in the past 20 years and I have yet to be disappointed. No mechanical device as complex as an automobile will be completely reliable all the time. You have to maintain any tool to get good use out of it. Sharpen your knife or it won't cut.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    "No mechanical device as complex as an automobile will be completely reliable all the time. You have to maintain any tool to get good use out of it. Sharpen your knife or it won't cut."

That is quite true, but more and more people don't seem to understand that with cars.

I don't think the 2006 Corvette Z06's 505 hp (newly rated) LS7 would be able to tow enough like GM's truck engines. The Dodge Ram SRT-10 doesn't tow much.
    Yeah, I was just looking to get rid of a few sets of rear tires! I guess that wouldn't be all that practical, huh?
    In serious discussion, do you think the aluminum version of the 5.3 would ever make it to the ranks of the Crew Cab?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Let's see, there's quite a few things I would want in the new Silverado.

First, keep the agressive styling, or make it more aggressive. Don't soften the lines like on the Tundra. The Titan, F-150 and Ram all have aggressive front ends, which I believe is important in this segment. Chevy's agressive styling is what made the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon Sierra and Silverado so popular.

Include

- DVD navigation as an option, also DVD entertainment
    - Bose sound system
    - XM radio
    - Even stronger yet refined engines
    - Special editions, such as F-150 Harley Davidson, Ram Rumble Bee
    - higher towing capacity
    - good level of off roading skills, along with off road package
    - increased space in crew cab models
    - dent resistant bed
    - bed lights
    - bed storage

Finally, most importantly, the interior! It needs better plastics, ones that aren't in ugly shades of grey and black. A more modern design should be used, not the slab sided rectangle found on today's trucks. Adding a bit of chrome, wood would go a long way. The leather should be upto Toyota levels. The build quality will hopefully be improved. Chevy is going to have to do all this and then some in order to get upto par with Dodge, Ford and Nissan. Finally, hopefully the Escalade will have a different dash than the other fGM full size trucks.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I read in the November, 2004 issue of Car & Driver that the L92 is a future engine for GM's big 2007 trucks and SUVs. It will have "a bit less power" than the 6.2 liter L92 that was shown in a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. That Chevy had 420 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.
  • syncomsyncom Member Posts: 3
    Since more and more people use their trucks for work and for home (hauling kids), side and curtain air bags should be offered as an option in rear seating areas. Toyota and Nissan already do and I do not want to buy either, just want the safety issues answered to satisfy my wife's pet peeve with the domestic manufacturers lack of this basic safety offering.
This discussion has been closed.