Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Close Finish in Hydrogen vs. Battery Contest- 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Toyota
imageClose Finish in Hydrogen vs. Battery Contest- 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

In this third and final installment of the alternative-energy smackdown, our long-term 2016 Toyota Mirai and 2016 Tesla Model X race to the finish.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    This is ALMOST the test I've been asking for. I'm still advocating for an Edmunds' 24 Hours Endurance test. Y'all need to come up with a "test track" that includes a normal gas station, Supercharger Station, and a Hydrogen Fuel station, get a diesel, gas, all-electric, hybrid, and the hydrogen cell vehicles that are somewhat comparable, and just drive them on the loop, non-stop, for 24 hours stopping only to refuel (and swap drivers), and see how many total miles y'all can put on each vehicle. It would take so much out of the "well, we had to change the route" guesswork.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Yes, agree, this was a great article. Keep up the good work.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    It was enjoyable reading these articles and because of them, I've found a nice place to stay the next time I'm up in Tahoe.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    "I also find the Mirai's lack of gimcrackery refreshing. Its doors actually work as you expect, its windshield isn't a constant annoyance and its software isn't full of bugs."

The advantage of an established car company that has been building cars for decades. Toyota owners expect near perfection, tesla owners expect bugs.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    throwback said:

"I also find the Mirai's lack of gimcrackery refreshing. Its doors actually work as you expect, its windshield isn't a constant annoyance and its software isn't full of bugs."

The advantage of an established car company that has been building cars for decades. Toyota owners expect near perfection, tesla owners expect bugs.

I don't know about this. The Model S, for all it's tech, is a relatively normal car. It's only with the Model X that Tesla decided to overwhelm us with innovation, including many annoying features.

This is a great write up of a valuable test. Still, I don't know that many people are going to be using either car/technology this way. It seems that if anyone owned another car with an ICE gas engine, they would have choose it for this trip over either the Mirai or the Model X.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Great writing, Jay! Really enjoyed reading this!
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    So what about the tpms indicator, did it go out?

Mine just recently allowed me to drive to the dealership before the tire went flat. They said they are set for 32psi and the inflation pressure is supposed to be 35. Only silly thing is that it makes way more fuss about low gas than the small indicator, like the Mirai's, that turned on. I certainly won't ever try to drive more than a few minutes if it ever comes on again.
  • gra_in_bagra_in_ba Member Posts: 1
    What was the Mirai's AVG speed, MPkg. temp etc. for each leg?
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Despite my criticism of the Mirai's utility anywhere but CA, this was a good story.
  • ruselllruselll Member Posts: 3
    When Supercharging the Model X, did both drivers charge just enough to get them to the next Supercharger or did they charge to 100% each time?
    Charging just enough to get to the next Supercharger is the quickest way to go.