Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

Comments

• norwoodsmnnorwoodsmn Member Posts: 168
    Yes, that's just the UTILITY there in the "DNA". The sign of a suspension that's well able to carry you off road to new adventures. Probably I'd say "trust us". For the most part the sheer joy of what you can do with these vehicles outweighs the unfamiliar "quirks" that new to the brand folks are quite likely to encounter. But maybe the key word in your post is "car"? It really ain't one. You might want to wait a bit to have a look at Suzuki's all new SX-4 "crossover" vehicle. I think it's due out quite soon now. Rougly size wise it seems intended to compete with the likes of the Toyota Matrix, though it looks like it may be just a bit bigger? Plus it will be offered in an all wheel drive configuration though it will not have the off road ruggedness which is built into the Grand Vitara [suspension]. The SX-4 looks really great, and just might sell as well as the new GV....

If on road comfort is a chief concern, maybe try test driving a Mazda 6 wagon. Still lots of space, a six, and excellent road manners. Great to see some new contributors here. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is it possible that the dealer techs forgot to adjust the tire pressure? Usually tires are over-inflated by the manufacturer for shipping and they are fixed at the dealer.

I'm wondering if the ride was firmer than intended, but the only way to tell may be to try another test drive (after verifying the tire pressures).

Steve, Host
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    You may be right. My tires were 20 psi over the recommended pressure. The vehicle we bought was brand new compared to the one we test drove. I also noticed feeling every little bump in the road and it wasn't like that on the test drive.
  • manitowocmanitowoc Member Posts: 17
    4) Oil filter hard to change for do-it-yourself people. I bought a remote filter kit from the Internet. The oil filter is now mounted on the lower from rail just behing the radiator support. Changing the oil filter is now a breeze.

Could you give some more info regarding the kit you purchased ?
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I drove a GV Xsport pkg the other day . I found it to be very noisy at highway speeds and a lot of engine noise.
    I noticed that at 75mph the rpm's were almost 3k .For a 5speed auto I think they should be lower to reduce the engine noise .
    I have a bad back and on my 1hour test drive i could not get comfortable .
    I think there should be more adjustments (like lumbar )
    I got a good deal on the price the were going to give me 2000 below invoice .

It would of been 21560.00 out the door .
    If not for the seat i would be a GV owner today .
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    It took me a couple of months to figure out how to arrange the seat so I was comfortable (bad neck). The key to it was the relationship between the seat tilt mechanism, and the backrest angle. I understand not all the models have the tilt adjustment, which is officially described as a seat height adjustment.
    Quirks, Luv/Angst. Welcome to the club, (almost). Yes, the behavior of the 2.7 is well known to impartial observers. If you and/or your significant other could tolerate it, the manual 5 speed reduces engine noise fairly significantly by helping to keep "it" in an optimal rev range, at all times. [Per my recent test drive of one of 'em]. But then is the "Sport" even abvailable with a manual transmission? Welcome back to current realities [for Suzukis] in the US marketplace.

Re the seats/your back, there are things like Obus forme pads to consider too. Re price, I'd say wait til the end of the model year, re consider the preceeding here maybe?, internet price shop it finding a dealer out in the methaphorical "Norwoods", and then get one for closer towards $3,000.00 off invoice. At least that's one of my own prospective strategies. Then with what the package can do in the dirt, it would be AN OUTSTANDING VALUE. the engine quirks notwithstanding.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    When I wrote that message i ment by saying xl8 was that if suzuki made a xl7 from a honda pilot, it should be xl8 because the pilot seats 8 not seven :sick: .
    I hear ya. Who knows what they will call it? No reinforced frame? The Pilot is a great vehicle, so maybe that's the soft roading marketing target. Guess it makes sense for Suzuki to have a lower priced Pilot/Toyota Highlander competitor... But then, I could have lived with a MODERN Vitara replacement instead. Are there any other serious Suzuki 4 wheeler owners left out there? Would like to know what you're thinking these days. Especially re: your own experiences in the field with the new GV, in demanding O.R. situations. Thanks in advance

ps: Re: previous post about remoting the oil filter. Would be most interesting for all of us to have a look see, if you could post a shot or two, maybe on the CARSPACE site.
    Just to quickly elaborate on: "any other serious Suzuki 4 wheelers out there?" No, [again] not equipped for the Rubicon Trail, but in stock form, either base non low range awd's, or the auto trannie only low range equipped awd one like xostnot's got. Point being, we've all seen the feel good journalist's road tests. But what are YOU experiencing out there in the field now in similiar situations? Thanks again.

ps xostnot. Lusted after Western Canoeing's Kevlar Clipper Tripper at our local outdoor store last weekend. Have to look at your "mounting it on the roof" GV pics, if you've posted one yet?
  • gbelmontesgbelmontes Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a GV 2006 luxury and I was wondering how difficult is it to install a security system that suzuki is selling?
  • nramos76nramos76 Member Posts: 6
    I have a question for 2006 GV owners: if one opens the rear door (cargo area) does the gas shock open it halfway, requiring another "push" for the door to open fully? Mine does this...
    Another quirk: the driver's seat sometimes squeaks. This usually happens when the tilt/elevator mechanism is set to elevate the seat.

Noel
    My rear door does the same thing.
    No squeaks.
    People have reported no problems, as long as you're ok carrying two fobs. I had problems sorting this out, as discussed earlier in this forum, on www.suzuki-forums.com, and www.the12volt.com My Suzuki dealer was definitely not interested in installing a system. I ended up with an alarm system that arms using the factory fobs, with ignition immobilizer, but no code-switching and the keyless entry works properly only on the drivers door.
    Same here, the rear hatch does the same thing, and no squeak in the drivers seat. I'm wondering if the rear door is better or worse depending on the temperature. I also expect it will loosen up as the vehicle ages, as these struts typically do.

As the reviewers have found, the doors are also relatively stiff to open. At least people can't fling them open and ding the corners.
    norwoodsman: "Are there any other serious Suzuki 4 wheeler owners left out there?"

There are websites for Suzuki owners who do serious off-roading and modifications. They have ignored the '06GV, probably mostly because the design prevents lift kits which are key to what they do. Since they also don't care much about having new models, and the pre-'06's will be around for many years as they need newer ones, they likely don't care much about where Suzuki is going. I don't think they're particularly brand-loyal, and can switch to Jeeps, for instance.

So the only other group are people who especially like the pre-'06's, and in stock format. I'd guess there are very few car buyers who fit that pattern, at least in North America.

"ps xostnot. Lusted after Western Canoeing's Kevlar Clipper Tripper at our local outdoor store last weekend. Have to look at your "mounting it on the roof" GV pics, if you've posted one yet?"

The Clipper Tripper is an uncannily good design. It's derived from a Jensen design, possibly the Stock. I've talked to the fellow who designed the Tripper, Marlin Bayes, and some day hope to ask him how he arrived at the details of the hull shape.

We haven't had the canoe on the GV yet, but will do so in a couple of weeks. We'd use the car for the trip, but have to show off the GV to our friends. Whenever we take the canoe on the ferries, we use the car because it's still under the "overheight" limit. An SUV with a canoe on top incurs an extra ~$50 or so per trip.

I'll try to get a shot and post it.
  • nramos76nramos76 Member Posts: 6
    Being an electrical design eng. by trade, I'm interested in developing a modification to enable the gas mileage meter to do an average reading versus instantaneous. Since I would need the electrical diagram from the Suzuki service manual, but can't justify purchasing the manual for this alone, I was wondering if anyone was kind enough to scan the diagram and email it to me? If I am able to develop a mod I would be more than happy to share it with the community here...
    Noel
    I have a factory service manual on order, and will be happy to do this after it arrives. I don't expect to see my manual until around Easter, but it could be sooner.

I understand Suzuki plans to make the same improvement for the '07 GV. One has to wonder why it wasn't done right to begin with. Typically, such as in our cheapo 1990 Dodge (!), the trip computer displays: current mileage averaged over 4 seconds, average mileage since last reset updated every 18 seconds, distance to empty, and elapsed time and distance since last reset.

It requires wires to the transmission/ecu data bus for the fuel consumption information from the fuel injection system, to the transmission/odometer distance sensor, to the gas tank level sensor sender, and of course a ground and power for the illumination. And this is considered a simple one.

It remains to be seen if Suzuki does indeed redo it for '07. And if so, if they add any features, (or a setting for Imperial gallons used in Canada). And if so, if the existing one can be reprogrammed, or has to, or even can be, replaced. No doubt for $300 or so.

So, if you can figure out how to do this, I know I'd be very grateful. I'm quite interested in this as I installed the trip computer in our car by myself.
    Did I read that right? They are comparing the GV 185hp to the Rav 269hp? They failed to mention the price differance.
    They also said the stereo Best Feature is the XM ready available. They must have failed to research the price on that, too.
    Chris Walton can keep his '99 CRV. He probably still has the first dollar bill he ever earned, too.
    Thanks for reading the whole thing. :)

If you click on the bylines, you'll see that "Letters to the Editors" are encouraged -- they should be sent to editorsIL@edmunds.com.

And for all you owners, please write your own review.

Steve, Host
    I sent my letter to the editor. Just trying to be a "good egg", Steve(just having fun with you) :)
    I think it's funny to see what everyone is comparing the GV to and not realizing what it actually is and not what everyone wants it to be. It's still an awesome "compact" suv and not a BMW or Acura, etc. but still has the possiblities and qualities of that vehicle for a lot less money.
    I actually feel better in our decision to buy the GV because of what category the reviews are always putting us in. I feel special. :)
    Maybe you'll get published. ;)

As far as comparing the GV, if nothing else it's hard to beat the 7/100 drivetrain warranty (although the rust warranty lags). A similar drivetrain warranty helped convince me to buy a Plymouth 20 years ago. Interesting blog post on that subject:

Long warranties no longer seen as an important sales tool . (Straightline)

Making you read again, lol. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Certainly no one is comparing the new GV to vehicles costing up to $10,000 less! Other than the Tucson/Sportage, all the comparisons are to more expensive vehicles.
    Both the XL-7 replacement and the all new SX4 compact crossover wagon, will debut at a press event at the New York International Auto show April 13th. Check the web. Advanced promo for "the big rig", (whatever it will be called), yes, makes it clear it will no longer have any true off road ability, (no reinforced frame), etc.

The WAY cute SX4 wagon will go on sale in the third quarter of this year, and the XL-7 replacement in the fourth quarter.

The question STILL remaining to be answered though is, will Suzuki [ever] be bringing in a base low range equipped UTILITY oriented GV, or, is the ultimate evolutionary destination for ALL Suzuki models in the North American lineup, primarily the driveways of suburbia???

To extrapolate from the waning sales of the last, oh so long in the tooth generation Vitara models, that there was no longer any market for a basic tough Suzuki SUV model, (a configuration always offered here before), if that's the conclusion they reached, (erroneously), it was one that sure left alot of people stunned in disbelief, at least out here in ye Norwoods. But the new GV could still fill the bill if, yes, AGAIN, they'll just import an version of it in a more Utilitarian form. The diesel manual 5 speed would accomplish that. Then EVERYONE could live happily ever after.

For now, seems the chief competitor for the GV in it's present form, may be the Subaru Forester? The price is the same, and they considerably beefed up the suspension this year. Looks are another thing, as that's one less than glamorous visage on the front of that duckling. But resale value should be much higher, at least. We live in interesting times...
    That's a good thing if they want to compare the GV to higher end models. Maybe Suzuki will notice and correct some of the issues we all gripe about.
    I'm surprised that some of the competition closer to the GV is rarely mentioned, Jeep, Ford, Saturn, etc.
    Ya Steve, but re: the 7/100 drivetrain warranty, how much of a good thing might it end up REALLY being, if after say one of your own hypothetical, demanding off road rec use there in the Sawtooth Range, or similiarly, xostnot's use of his here in adverse conditions in Wells Gray Park to go canoeing, how much "comfort" will it afford, if your GV ends up in the shop, (maybe repeatedly?), owing to all that complex driveline componentry?

Translation: will the "7/100" end up being a particularly costly "band aid" for Suzuki? One in fact economically curtailing their moving on to invest in more reliable off road capability for the vehicle?

The astonishingly fully "live better electrically" Land Rover LR3, (Motor Trends 2005 Sport Utility of the Year), is amazing [in concept]. Everyone out there at least owes it to [yourselves] to pick up a brochure. Clearly the very most amazing about it is that there is no electromechanical arm that extends out of the dash, to brush your teeth.

But then Suzuki does have it's own equivalent with it's incongruous mileage meter, eh? Point being, on down the road now since the intro of the LR3, yes, if only just for the sheer numbers of additional parts there, woebetide it's owners re: the disproportonate amount of time it is destined to spend in shop, thanks to the now oh so evident reliability issues that all this "hi tec" has caused.

Contrast "that" with Land Rover's history, on not dissimliar with Suzuki's, in some ways. Then ask [yourselves out there] really, in retrospect, are THESE the good old day? We just don't know yet. For the latest of Suzuki's object of our affections, (the new GV), the similiarities, or otherwise, vs the LR3,remain to be seen.

We've now seen one post here re: a driveline recall. An anomaly? We don't know yet. Regarding the re engineering of the mileage meter post, Suzuki doesn't need to take that one seriously. Instead, THEY NEED TO HIRE THE CIA TO TRACK DOWN THE GUY, THEN FORCING HIM TO ACCEPT A FAT SALARY THERE IN THEIR R&D DEPARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "history" of the new GV is very much yet to be written. Everyone with one out there now, thanks again for keeping all updated with the good, the bad, and hopefully NOT the ugly.
    Today I did the first drive where I needed 2H to engine brake down a forstry road, since having the transmission control software replaced under a TSB.

As described previously, the problem was that the gear selector has no position for 2nd gear, so if you needed to engine brake at the 2nd gear speed, the only way to get it was to put it in 1st, and allow the transmission electonics to keep it in 2nd above the speed where it would downshift to 1st. In the past, it has downshifted to 1st almost immediately, and fairly violently.

I'm happy to report that the transmission now behaves the way I'd expect it to, staying in 2nd for a long time until the speed drops off, then making a much smoother downshift to 1st with almost no drama.
    And that's GREAT to hear. The impetus behind some of my posts remains: Suzuki has now apparently raised the bar to such a level, with it's [realized] aspirations for new market share, that's it's ENTIRELY appropriate for us to venture forth BOLDLY, by comming out of the woodwork to hold their feet to the fire re: "issues" Why?, again to ensure they don't get complacent now, but instead, DO continue to work HARD to get it right. Nothing could please everyone more than to see that outcome.

Imagine one day when shopping for an all new Suzuki SUV model, if you could do so with the utmost confidence, feeling it had the very same reliability and/or lack of "issues" as a Honda or Toyota.... That's my "mission" as a long time owner of the brand. To squawk here more than a bit, for what it's worth, (and I don't pretend to know if it's of value), hoping in the end we'll ALL benefit somewhere on down the road.

IT'S TIME NOW for Suzuki to finally carefully START to listen to all of us, and make the needed adjustments to the product lineup. Reliability will probably end up being tops on the priority list, with, I'd hope a diesel GV somewhere on the radar screen as well....
    Here's another issue - that stupid rear license plate bezel. On another forum, we became aware that the European and Australian versions have a different rear bumper to accommodate their longer, narrower license plates. The North American plate is too tall to fit under the spare tire, so they did the next cheapest thing. There isn't room on the hatch for the longer plate, so it wouldn't be easy/cheap to use a different hatch and wiring to put the plate bezel on the hatch for North America. Instead, all it took is a different bumper shell.

Wrecks the departure angle? Too bad. To make us overlook this impairment of off-road ability, they just hyped that aspect a little more. And probably laid in a good stock of replacement rear bumpers.

Where do the European and Australian Rav4's have the rear plate?
  • bearsgvbearsgv Member Posts: 19
    Australian Rav4 has the rear plate on the left hand side, next to the spare tyre & above the bumper bar.
  • vitdeanvitdean Member Posts: 9
    As I have owned and still do Suzuki motorcycles, I have found them to be very reliable. Just this year (2006) I liked what I saw with the Grand Vitara. I also got tired of buying junk (I'm sorry) from Ford lately. The point is, is to have a vehicle that will get me to work and back reliably as so far my Vitara has done.
    Well said. How about that timing chain too, and all the money it will save you in maintenance costs. Even Honda, (which makes a few bikes too), doesn't use timing chain tec on it's vehicles. I have no idea why.

Back to Consumer Reports annual auto issue on newstands now. For sure, the reliability ranking for the Ford F150, for instance, seems pretty daunting there.

But then back to the new GV, there's still the mileage/usage issues. Personally I'm starting to wind down here on this site, (praise be, eh bud?), as I've come to a decision that with rising fuel prices, a vehicle getting only 23 mpg, best case, just doesn't meet my needs as an enviro conscious type. Then there's the usage issues. For a commuter if it just has to be an SUV, right on, what a great looking vehicle the new GV is! But if you want to do it in the dirt, I will say no more than the following. Go to the Toyota USA site, toyota.com, and dial in the side by side comparo of their new FJ Cruiser, vs. the luxo boat new "off road capable" GV, (with the low range transfer case). Price wise, (vs. the base FJ Cruiser), they're the same. Mileage wise it's 2 mpg less for both city and highway, (17/21 us mpg), for the 4 liter! FJ Cruiser. Then there's all those other stats from ground clearance to towing capacity, and everything in between. Then there's the bottom line fact the FJ is, well, quite simply, a Toyota.

Bottom line [here] is, I've decided I'm NOT waiting for Suzuki to [again] produce a small tough fuel efficient off road capabable vehicle. Instead, the course they've presently apparently successfully charted for themselves, (and you, see the sales numbers), has left at least some of us in the dust, and we just have to accept that. But for folks like xostnot who are out there right now doin' it in the dirt in a new GV, while it still holds a good amount if it's original value, well, one could be sorely tempted to look a a trade for a FunkyJ Cruiser.

I wish you all the very best of luck with your new GV's!

Norwoodsmn.
    The bottom line here as I said is for me to depend on my vehicle to get from point A to B. I've been left stranded by stupid things going wrong in the past with the carmaker badge I've depended on in the past. 300 miles from home driving a 1994 f-150 the power steering gearbox seal blew out on a holiday weekend, 60 some thousand miles on the truck- and of course the 36 month whatever warranty was kaput. Fun vacation. My parents are retired, my Moms 2004 Focus left her stranded only 25 miles from home. Bad starter 1500 miles on a brand new car, yes it was fixed. Fathers 2005 Escape developed this cool gas smell after you drove awile and got out. After about a month of my dad telling the dealer he smelled gas and nothing was done, I called the Ford place for him. The service manager (I guess) told me it was not actually a gas leak but just gas vapor we were smelling. REALLY! Don't you have to have a leak someplace in order to smell gas? Anyway, after a couple more calls the broken fuel line was replaced. 6000 miles on this vehicle. Sorry, It's nice to be brand loyal but I need to get to work. I've read on this forum about other GV owners picking obout how the back door opens wrong or the fuel mileage thingy does not compute the average MPG. Hopefully my Grand Vitara will prove as reliable as Suzuki motorcycles and by the way, getting 23 miles per gallon with a vehicle you can depend on beats the hell out of the Escort that got 40 MPG I had before my Vitara that cost me a days pay because the harmonic balancer came apart with 40 thousand miles. So please let us not gripe obout little things on the Grand Vitara. The valve adjustment might scare some people, but believe me, it's not that hard to do as I have checked valve clearence on their bikes and in the at least 10 or so times I have done a valve adjust on a sazook motorcycle only once have I had to adjust a valve .002 thou, which I could have left alone but since I had the cover off......
    I hear ya. But, for instance the Focus is now probably the most reliable vehicle Ford makes. Back when it was intro'ed, it got nothing but stellar reviews, but then... But then, (praise be!), they actually fixed it! All I'm saying is, likewise, don't be too surprised if you encounter a few bumps in the road in this teething period for the new GV. But Suzuki will stick by you with warranty service if you need it.

My four year old Zuke road wagon hemmoraged it's coolant all over the passengers side carpet last week, (defective heater core). After bitchin', (though it's out of warranty), "the big boys" covered the $500.00 7 inch radiator!, (beware some Suzuki parts costs), that is the heater core. I pay $300.00 for labor, and the dealer eats the extra cost beyond the 2.6 by the book hrs. Suzuki allows for the removal of the dash, etc. to replace the heater core. It takes the dealer all day long to do this job, and mine will be the third one they've done here at this dealership in ye Norwoods.. They tried to stick me for the cleaning of the carpets, but this wheel SQUEAKED badly in response over it!, so the dealer will pick up that multi day job, (cleaning, drying out of carpets), as well.
    So I guess take some heart from this out of warranty sad story. Never owned another vehicle that did this, ever....

See consumer reports current annual car review issue for data on the Suzuki XL-7. In prior posts here, I'd expressed I thought I might just pick up a used '04 XL-7, which was the last one offered with both a manual 5 speed tranne, and the low range transfer case. Figured they must have gotten better with age, so... Wrong, the 2003 model was more reliable. Go figure...

Keep a postin'. We're all interested how they prove themselves on down the road.
    Choosing between the FJ and the GV would have been agonizing, had the FJ been on the scene when we chose the GV. The FJ is unbelievably ugly, and I'm not sure I could live with those vestigal back doors. We usually carry passengers. But the off-road performance relative to the price would have been very difficult to ignore.

We did some "off-roading" with the GV this weekend, including one event of coming to a halt with diagonally opposite wheels spinning while in 4L. Which surprised me, because you could hear the traction control system chattering away trying to do something about this. But the TC system did work the rest of the time, and the GV did better than I expected as far as clearance is concerned, while going through ditches dug across the old logging road. In fact, it did almost as well as our '91 Pathfinder did on the same road a year ago. I lightly scrapped the bottom somewhere in the middle once, and put a few scratches on the muffler, but did not touch the licence plate bezel on the back bumper. The automatic allowed more precise speed control while climbing through the ditches than I'm used to with a standard transmission.
    As I have been studying the handy dandy service manual that I bought, (well worth the little over 100 bucks) I found that with the all time 4wd version without the switch on the console, you can undo a bolt on the transfer case and lock it in 4wd high range by turning a lever then replacing the bolt. I have not done this, (I have the all time 4wd) as I have no need. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if it will void the warranty.
  • dclark2dclark2 Member Posts: 91
    The XL7 was shown today. It looks huge, supposedly bigger than the Torrent/Equinox. It has a reinforced frame like the GV.
    Two interesting things:
    It has that 3.6 motor!It has 250 hp and 244lbs of tq, yet claims 23mpg on the highway. Again, despite more power and a much heavier vehicle, it gets the same mpg as the current GV!Put this into the GV and it could get 24-25mpg on the highway. I'd count on it!
    The top line XL7 is only $29K. I say only because it is the first under $30K vehicle (at least awd ) that comes with navigation.
    Getting back to the first item, I can't see the GV soldering on '07 with the same old 185 hp-it'll get either a 3.2 or 3.6 vvt motor
  • keoweeharrykeoweeharry Member Posts: 1
    Please advise source for remote oil filter kit. I changed mine using 3/8 drive cap wrench part no. A257 (80 mm) from www.autopart.com. Even with custom fit wrench, getting filter out was a chore, and I was concerned with possibly damaging the O2 sensor wire.

My GV is manual tranny 4-wheel drive (full time no low range). Anybody know why they don't call this all wheel drive?
    Squiggle underneath behind the left front tire. There is a good sized hole in the suspension frame ( much nicer on jack stands) that you can get your right arm and hand with tools if need be up in there to get the filter on and off. The owners manual and the service manual states to go up next to the oil pan, you are going to remove that cover under there to get to the drain plug anyhow, I found the hole in the frame to be better access. The sensor wires are routed through a bendable clip, just bend the clip with the wires out of the way making sure not to stress the wires. I'ts really not that hard to get to the filter. As for the difference between all wheel and four wheel drive, poke the question in a search engine, a lot of info.
    Norwoodsman was interested in some pictures of the GV with a canoe on the roof, so I've posted a couple of shots in my CarSpace.

On the front, I removed the plastc cover over the tow loop (best to get underneath to see how to remove it to avoid damaging the tabs), and the second vesitgal hook that lacks a removable cover.

On the back, I used the muffler bracket and the tow loop. I didn't bother trying to protect the paint from the ropes because the ropes are fairly soft and we weren't driving long.
  • desertbdesertb Member Posts: 2
    I noticed on our new GV that the muffler bracket is very rusty. We live in the desert and have no snow, no rain ,no road salt. GV has about 1k miles on the car. Anyone else notice this hunk of rust.
    We also live in the desert, but did notice the very rear hanger by the muffler with some surface rust. The other ones looked ok.
    I'm not sure how, but I noticed some rust on my rear seats where they divide in the middle. It must have come from the hinge when I had them folded up but don't know how the seat would have been wet, unless the dog hasn't told me something :blush:
    I couldn't find the TSB from pitstop.com as was previously mentioned about the front tires being out of alignment. It's covered under 12mth/12k mile adjustment warranty and my local dealer fixed it. The front end toe was off by 1.5mm. Sure doesn't sound like much but the tire wear was obvious.
    That's odd. I found a light stain that looked like rust on the leather covering of the front passenger seat. I couldn't figure out how it got there.

We too have various underbody components with surface rust. Maybe this happens during the trip by ship from Japan. But we've driven on salty roads, so I'm not surprised.
    Reaching back a few posts here, yes, the FJ Cruiser is too funky for me too. But out there in the dirt....
    Which brings me back to your need for aftermarket rims and tires. I'd particularly look forward to reading how it's going there in the field after you making this "essential" move. Noikan's Vatavia line looks interesting, actually with seasonal crossover off road use and road comfort, all built in there too. Hawk those low profile alloys for the oem steel wheels and the right tires! Easier said than done, I understand, and the alloys do look "foxy".

Nice to see the ice finally thaw off some fav lakes now, eh? I, and the trout grow restless...Happy trails to ya!
    As far as the tires go, no tire will do any good if it's in the air:-) Although the articulation on the new GV may be good for an independent suspension, I don't think it's as good as the old Pathfinder. So a traction control system on a fully independent suspension vehicle simply has to work properly, rather than be a band-aid solution.

Whether our lakes are still frozen depends on their elevation and latitude. We were headed for saltwater, and the structures in the pictures are berths for the ferries we used to cross Georgia Strait to get closer to our paddling destination in the Gulf Islands.
  • whysterwhyster Member Posts: 14
    Hi slinky1,

So is the GV getting a bigger engine/more power for '07?
  • dclark2dclark2 Member Posts: 91
    "So is the GV getting a bigger engine/more power for '07?"

I'd be shocked if it didn't. I will hang on to my jetta wagon until the '07 models comes out. Driving around in a 50mpg diesel wagon and waiting to see if the the '07 has more power/mpg makes a lot more sense than selling it now and getting an underpowered, noisy GV with 23mpg.
    The GV is far from underpowered and noisy. Of course it doesn't get the mileage of a diesel. Why even whine about it here or keep hoping for major improvements? You don't see me in your VW forum whining about a smelly diesel, do you? Why not accept the GV as it is or look at something else that suits your needs.