Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    The M35 is so low, I guess I really have to be careful that I never pull all the way into a parking spot again."

Is the M35's ground clearance unusually low?
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    This has been a worry of mine since taking delivery of my M35 Sport 15 months ago. Seems curbs are regulated in height and I've not had an issue ... but I'm still very cautious about how I pull in. Fortunately the car's not terribly long so it isn't necessary to get the tires right up to the curb when parking ... :shades:
  • Options
    a2zm35a2zm35 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer says that you are getting 2 full featured keys and the credit card key. Usually you would also get Valet keys. Did anyone get one?
  • Options
    No...I got what you got
  • Options
    rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    For those of you out there with the Intelligent Cruise Control, have you had any issues with getting the recall done? I was just at my local dealership on Saturday where I had an appointment to get the recall done. I was told that the campaign had been temporarily halted due to some problems encountered when the software upgrade is done. It appears that the upgrade "fries" (exact word used by service advisor) something on the car. I didn't ask anymore questions as I was pissed at having to get up early Saturday morning, drive 50 miles roundtrip, only to find out that the recall had been put on hold. I was livid as I had called the day before to confirm the appointment. Of course I asked if this recall delay was a recent (like in the last 24 hours), and was told by the same tech that the recall had been delayed for weeks now. I think they wanted the small revenue from the oil change they thought I still was going to get! Sorry guys, I didn't have anymore time to waste. I plan on calling Infiniti to get the scoop. As soon as I here back from them, I will let everyone know. Anyone out there heard of this? :mad:
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with Consumer Affairs who had no knowledge of a temporary halt to the recall. They are going to research and call me back tomorrow. Sounds like something fishy in Raleigh! Ooops. We aren't suppose to name names here are we? ;)
  • Options
    a445a445 Member Posts: 9
    I had mine done a month, month and a half ago and no problems. The only issue I had was when I took possesion of my car after the work was done, the "Amber" Cruise light was lit. When querried, the Master tech that did the work appologized. To do the upgrade, he had to disconnect the laser range finder up front, when he reconnected the wire harness he did not get it snapped together all of the way. Five more minutes and I was on my way. I have not had a problem since.
  • Options
    Whoops ... totally missed that ... there's a recall for all 2006 M35s?
  • Options
    Infiniti sent out recall cards about two months ago or so concerning a potential problem with the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC). This website was shared on a posting here a long time ago but is still very valuable. http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/Recalls/M/2006.htm. Contact your dealer to ensure that your VIN is affected.
  • Options
    After I posted the last reply I tried using the hyperlink. It did not work, but if you type it into your web browser address bar it will get you there. Good Luck!
  • Options
    bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    The primary emphasis in the recall notice was the potential for problems if the lens became dirty. This issue is addressed in the owner's manual. However, in the interest of safety, Infiniti decided to recall for a software update.

When I dropped into my local dealership to schedule an appointment, I too was informed that Infiniti had notified all dealers to temporarily halt the software update as the Chicago area dealers alone reported 12 instances of frying computer modules related to ICC.

Raleigh was not wrong about the halt of the update but I can't believe that a service advisor would allow you to schedule an appointment for one and cause such a wasted trip. This info has been out for well over a month.
  • Options
    "Raleigh was not wrong about the halt of the update but I can't believe that a service advisor would allow you to schedule an appointment for one and cause such a wasted trip. This info has been out for well over a month."

That is what I take exception to. Someone should have known better. A simple courtesy call to notifiy me of the issue would have suited me just fine. I also scheduled an oil change to be done while I was there. Maybe they thought I would still drive the 50 miles even for a routine oil change. Wrong!

As a sidebar, I live in a southwestern suburb of Raleigh and the M is my second Infiniti. . . .neither of which was purchased from Raleigh. Something about that place just doesn't sit well with me. But what do you do for routine/warranty/recall service when the next closest Infiniti dealer is well over an hours drive away? Wonder if anyone ever takes their car to a Nissan dealer for service? In the Raleigh area I can't see the difference between the two! I am sure someone will say the simple solution is to buy a Lexus! :)
  • Options
    I have received NO recall notice whatsoever, on anything! Guess it's time to call my dealer. Thanks for the heads up. Bart :) :shades:
  • Options
    Bart,
    Not all M's were included in the recall. Only those models with the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) within a certain range of VIN numbers. You can probably navigate around on this site http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/Models/2006/M/Description.htm (click the recalls button and browse around) to see if your vehicle is included.

To follow up on my call to Consumer Affairs, they just called me back and confirmed (as bw45Sport said in a previous post), that the recall had been temporarily suspended. It appears the fix was causing the entire cruise system to malfunction on some vehicles. This isn't meant to alarm anyone; as I imagine if you have already had your recall done, you are okay. Those of us that procrastinated, will have to wait until they work the bugs out. In the meantime, keep that IR lens clean at the bottom of your front grill if you frequently use the ICC! Wouldn't want any of us to rear end someone due to the ICC malfunctioning.

By the way, Consumer Affairs said they sent my feedback to Raleigh about not notifying me about the recall and wasting my time. Think I might get blacklisted? :)
  • Options
    Only those models with the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) within a certain range of VIN numbers.

I guess that doesn't include my VIN # then. Thanx. Bart
  • Options
    donbregmandonbregman Member Posts: 5
    I spoke to the Infinity Consumer Affairs Department today with regard to the ICC recall. I gave her my VIN number and she told me that my vehicle is not in the range of the problem vehicles. In addition, she told me that for all intent and purposes, the recall has been terminated until a comprehensive investigation of the problem has been conducted.
  • Options
    velveteendad1velveteendad1 Member Posts: 36
    I just got my M35 last week. It has the Adaptive Front Lighting system, to point the headlights in the direction the car's steered.

When I'm sitting in front of the garage door and turn the steering wheel to the right, I can see the lights move to the right. But when I turn the steering wheel to the left, the lights don't go any further to the left than the normal center position.

Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is something wrong with my AFS? Seems odd that it would only go in one direction and not the other.
  • Options
    OK, I answered my own question. Per the owner's manual: "The right-side low beam headlight will swivel but the left side will not swivel when the vehicle is at a stop and the steering wheel is turned. The vehicle must attain a speed above 16 mph before AFS activates the left-side headlight."

Not sure the reasoning behind that, but at least I know that there's nothing wrong with my car!
  • Options
    bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Not sure the reasoning behind that, but at least I know that there's nothing wrong with my car!

Because we live in a world where we drive on the right side of the road, it would be unwise to direct your headlights into the vision of oncoming traffic when you are at a stop.
  • Options
    Hmmm, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!
  • Options
    jdmassjdmass Member Posts: 14
    The valet keys are part of the full feature key. You disable the trunk release via the glove box and then remove and keep the inner key part of the smart key, and give the valet the outer part of the key. This is all shown in the manual. Not exactly ideal since if the valet loses your key, you are totally stuck. With a conventional key, if the valet loses the valet key, you still have your full-function key available. I guess to be safe you should bring both of your smart keys if you plan on valet parking.

By the way, the credit car key is, IMHO, virtually useless. It can only unlock the doors, presumably if you've accidentally locked your keys in the car. Since the smart key system doesn't permit you to lock the doors with the keys in the car and since there is no way to start the car without the smart key, what good is the credit card key?
  • Options
    By the way, the credit car key is, IMHO, virtually useless. It can only unlock the doors, presumably if you've accidentally locked your keys in the car. Since the smart key system doesn't permit you to lock the doors with the keys in the car and since there is no way to start the car without the smart key, what good is the credit card key?

My wife's Lexus' credit card key can start the car ... there's a trick to it ... she had to do it when she lost her keys on an airplane ... and she got home just fine with the CC key. Bart :shades:
  • Options
    bcorigbcorig Member Posts: 13
    I think its mostly a myth with a few exceptions. The bugs from the first year will be replaced by bugs in the second year and third year and so on.
    It was as true with my 78' Celica as it was was with my 98 RL.
    My M 35 actually has fewer problems than any new car, first year of not, than I can remember.
  • Options
    art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Has anyone heard of this one? There is a clicking noise (speed sensitive) which comes from the front of the car, but is only audible when the wheel is turned to the right. It is like the sound of a stone or rock in the tire, but I can't see how a stone would only make noise if the car was in a turn...

Any clues?
  • Options
    arwilliarwilli Member Posts: 4
    The key design is also not a good one. When the inner part of the key is removed there is no hook for a key ring on the outer part so there is no way for the valet to hang the key.
  • Options
    arwilliarwilli Member Posts: 4
    I found that the image in the rear view monitor is reversed (ex. the tag of the car I backed up to was reversed/mirror image). I assumed that this is how it works but the manual states that" Objects in the rear view monitor will appear visually opposite than when viewed in the rear view mirror and outside mirror." The view in the monitor is actually the same as in the rear view mirror. Anyone experience this?
  • Options
    Thanks to the terrorist threats to planes, no electronic transmitter can be brought aboard any plane. That translates into no curbside luggage check-in if you're driving an Infiniti because the transmitter is the ONLY way to start/drive the car. Infiniti needs to give us a "wallet" key ... a true key capable of getting the car up and running (as Lexus does) or they will have stubbed their toe again and once again seriously hurt their ability to sell wonderful cars.

I've been critical of this lack of key access since getting my M in April of 2005 ... as a nuisance issue should the transmitter get lost. Now it's become a necessity to have a key (thanks to terrorism's cleverness).

Bart

:mad:
  • Options
    ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    excellent point...although, for now, you don't have to check all electronics. When we do, this will become a problem when making connections because your cell phone and/or blackberry will be in the checked baggage.

Perhaps the scariest part of all this is the amount of baggage pilferage that goes on today and is kept quiet. Your (unlocked) checked bags are not safe at all and may be opened by almost anyone. Do you really think your laptop will make it to your destination? your cellphone? your digital camera? And that electronic key may just fall out when your bag is opened by someone trying to remove that other stuff. Let's hope electronics don't become banned as carry on.

Maybe that's why most of us own second cars....the non M becomes the airport car.
  • Options
    My wife always takes her laptop on long trips ... no more. I lug $5K worth of camera gear. No more. Cell phones, etc, ripe for the rip-off. I'm giving serious thought to spending the extra $$$ to ship my luggage w/ valuables to destinations via FedEx, UPS, whoever. I think, however, that TSA will let us carry many of these things ... it's in the UK that you can't carry anything right now. This all needs to be researched. Of course, since my next major vacation trip is to London ... well, I'm up the proverbial creek and have essentially no choice but to ship ... at least for the return trip. I think (and will check on TSA.gov, or whatever the website is) we can take things from the USA over there but not on the return flight.

the non M becomes the airport car

That was the point my wife made last night ... her Lexus is the "to the airport" vehicle now. Bart :mad:
  • Options
    GHSTUDIO: I just checked TSA.GOV and cameras, camcorders, laptops, cell phones, pagers, electronic games, and PDA's are permitted on domestic departures. The blanket ban on carry-on baggage is for flights FROM the UK. :(
  • Options
    Ditto. I travel weekly for business. Last Thursday and yesterday I got my key fob through in my carry-on bag without incident. Happy motoring! :shades:
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    the manual states that" Objects in the rear view monitor will appear visually opposite than when viewed in the rear view mirror and outside mirror." The view in the monitor is actually the same as in the rear view mirror. Anyone experience this?

I thought you must have been mistaken about what the manual said, but you're right. That's exactly what it says.

I think it HAS to work the way it does work, though. I.E. objects on the right MUST be shown on the right or you'd have an impossible time using it to park.

Thankfully the manual is wrong.

I suspect that the engineers suggested to the writers that they say something about how "The Monitors image is reversed as it is with a mirror" Note that they have to go to special effort to create that mirror effect electronically. If they just showed a normal camera view, objects on the right would appear on the left, since the monitor is already rotated 180 degrees from the camera. My guess is that the writer was simply confused by this.

Pete
  • Options
    oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Just got back from a trip, left Sunday AM and just got back tonight...my key fob with me in my bag as I carried it on and off 4 different flights, no incident, no worries...
  • Options
    mwgmwg Member Posts: 28
    Bart,

I once complained to Toyota headquarters about a dealer problem and from then on the dealer treated me with exrta courtesy because they don't want their record sullied with the manufacturer and recognized me as someone willing to send a complaint letter. Bottom line, don't worry about getting black listed.

EmGee
  • Options
    mwgmwg Member Posts: 28
    Recently took my first long highway trip with my M35. Noticed that the climate control "Auto" light went off periodically. This did not occur when I returned home and resumed my normal in city driving. Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks,

EmGee
  • Options
    EmGee --- Wasn't me. I'm not at all bashful about registering complaints ... all the way to the top if necessary. Bart
  • Options
    ericahlsericahls Member Posts: 4
    I just had my oil changed and for the first time with full synthetic, it was $75.00. I have read that it is possible to extract oil through the dipstick tube using an inexpensive 12volt oil pump. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this. If it is a legit way to change your oil then I could save a lot of money and not have to crawl under the car. :confuse:
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    An extraction pump won't get the sludge out from the bottom (now if you change oil often enough, there shouldn't be much) - there will be more old oil left. It appears to me that you can't get to the oil filter from the top, so you need to go underneath anyways. While not necessary to maintain the warranty, I usually let the dealer change oil until the warranty is up.
  • Options
    ericahlsericahls Member Posts: 4
    I am hoping that since I will change my oil more frequently and with higher grade oil that I won't have a sludge problem. I am going to ask the dealership what they think. They have been straight froward with me so far. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Certainly change the oil at the manufacturer's recommended intervals, but after the warranty has expired, use full synthetic and change the oil and filter only every 10,000 miles (unless you drive on dirt roads half of the time). Not only will you save money, but it will help the environment (if you are into that thing).

BTW, you really could go 15,000 miles between changes, but don't tell any oldtimers, they'll faint!
  • Options
    joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    Parking prices at JFK,LGA make it cheaper to take car service, so I leave the key home.
    TSA said that undeveloped film in carry-on was ok, but checked film will be ruined by baggage X-ray. Digital camera card survived carry-on screening just fine.
  • Options
    johnhw7johnhw7 Member Posts: 9
    I had two rims repaired a few months ago to correct what I thought was tire noise. The infiniti service writer thought I had hit a pothole and bent the rims, which neither my wife nor I could recall happening in any out of the ordinary way. Since this repair, I continue to experience road noise and would like to replace the tires on my car. I have had Pirrelli's and Goodyears so far, has anyone found a quiet tire for a M45 sport?

Also has anyone else had to repair a rim due to a low impact pothole event like mine seems to be?
  • Options
    TSA said that undeveloped film in carry-on was ok

While this is off-subject for this thread, it's a lie. X-ray degrades film ... period. A single pass through would be unnoticeable but if you're on a lengthy trip and have to pass through security numerous times you'll lose resolution. Ask them to hand-inspect your camera and film ... they'll do it if they're reasonable. Digital's not an issue.
  • Options
    drokondrokon Member Posts: 10
    hi,
    Which is the best way to optimise sound output with an mp3 on the M35. mine is currently connected thru my ac output behind the middle console and plays on the dvd setting.But do not feel I get good output thru the surround speakers on the front chairs. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
  • Options
    twhite6279twhite6279 Member Posts: 5
    I just took delivery of a 2007 M35, and no one can tell me how to edit a phone book entry, or how to add avoice tag after the name and number are entered.

Also, what type of media is the DVD player sypposed to play when you don't have the drop down screen? It doesn't seem to like anything!
  • Options
    Which stereo did you get? the 2-channel or 5 channel system? The navigation system's dvd player does not connect to the stereo system - it is for maps only. The 2-channel system has only cd, no dvd. Not sure about the 5-channel, it is supposed to play some dvd music.
  • Options
    twhite6279twhite6279 Member Posts: 5
    It is the 5.1 and has an additional DVD in the center console. I figured out that you must have the parking break on for it to wolk. Thanks. Any ideas on editing a phonebook entry?
  • Options
    drokondrokon Member Posts: 10
    hi,are the side mirrors in the m35 supposed to adjust when reversing, i thought this was one of the features. I am not sure if i turned the feature off.any suggestions?
  • Options
    Only one or the other will do it, and then, only if the control switch is not in the center (off) position (i.e., if it is in the left position, it will depress the left one, etc.). You can adjust the limits as part of the seat assignment, otherwise, it goes to the max depression in reverse.
  • Options
    ijamijam Member Posts: 3
    Hey I have the same problem too. I gave up reprogramming the phone numbers. Does anyone have a solution to this? I thought about taking it to the service. But I think the only solution may be replacing the entire bluetooth unit?