Options

Honda Odyssey Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    radloftradloft Member Posts: 1
    I am getting about 13 mpg on 2000 odyssey ex-l. I have tried everything to increase the mpg to no avail. This includes premium fuel, synthetic oil, maintaining tire pressure, fuel additives etc. I also get a check engine code about every other tank that indicates 'Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected' then replaced as cap.
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    How many miles? Have you changed air filter recently? How about the brakes, are they dragging? Going down a steep hill with foot off the gas, do you gain on other cars, or vice versa? What brand of gas? A/C on ?
    Has it always been this bad? What type of terrain are you driving in? Have you changed the plugs and all the associated wiring? Are the plugs gapped properly?

Some vehicles are just born to lose, unless you can track down the real culprit.
  • Options
    ezydriverezydriver Member Posts: 15
    In Oct. we had a big wreck ("T" bone), bumper to bumper on the right side, $7000 worth of repairs, and 2 months ooc. We just got back from FL. The 3 best MPG were 28, 29, and 30MPG. With a warmed up van our ave. speed 66 MPH (GPS ave.), AC off (manually), cruise control, various out side temps, light traffic, tires at 36 psi, two people+camping gear (light weight), and a mix of 87 and 89 octane fuel. the best MPG was in hilly VA WV and PA leg of our trip.
    VCM 2007
  • Options
    phoenixvanphoenixvan Member Posts: 6
    Just did our first fill up on our brand new Odyssey. We got 16.4 mpg, with almost all of that in-city driving, with lots of up and down (we live just north of Seattle), stops and starts. I was concerned we'd be down in the 13 or 14 mpg range, so this isn't too bad. I'm hoping for some improvement once the engine is broken in better.

Katy
  • Options
    concorconcor Member Posts: 1
    First tank from dealer. Got 14.5 MPG with 85% city driving. Canadian cold winter might be a big factor contributes to such poor gas mileage.

Second tank, a trip from Ottawa to Montreal, 90% of highway driving at 63 MPH. Return 22.5 MPG. That was really bad compare to my 2002 Civic which can easily return over 40 MPG with the same driving condition.

The bad things regard the Odyssey is that the 5 speed auto transimission is hard to drive smoothly if you don't push it hard. When accelerate slowly, it feels very choppy especially in gear 2 and 3. From gear 1 to 2, it jumps and from 2 to 3, it holds back a while before making the shift. Not sure if any one else have such problem. :confuse:
  • Options
    bikechuckbikechuck Member Posts: 15
    My Oddyssey is a two year old. When I first purchased it I remember thinking that the transmission was rougher than the transmission on my Dodge Gran Caravan. I don't notice it any more, perhpas I have gotten used to it or perhaps it needed a break in period. I guess that Idon't care if it is a bit rougher as long as it lasts a good long time.

I have come to the conclusion that comparing in town mileage to the experience of someone else does not make much sense. Someone with a ten mile commute with fewer stoplights will get better mileage than I do with my 3 mile commute with many stoplights.
  • Options
    You are certainly correct. Even spouses driving the same vehicle on the same route get different MPG. One just has to find a post with driving patterns as close to ours as one can.
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 9
    I"m pretty happy with this. This was mostly highway. I'm in Florida, so there are no hills, either, so that helps. However, the AC was constantly on.

I have 179,000 km (111,000 miles) on the van. I used to change the conventional oil every 6,000 km (4,000 miles) as per the manual, and living in Canada.

I've recently started using synthetic oil here in Florida, but that hasn't made a difference in mpg. I went 8,000 km (5,000 miles) on the synthetic and had it analyzed at www.OilLab.com. The results were that the oil was still perfect.

This time, I'm going 10,000 km (6,000 miles). I'm using Honda oil filters from www.HandA-Accessories.com. I bet I could have gotten away with conventional oil and changed it every 10,000 km (6,000 miles), too, but I'll stick with my new schedule.

My only gripe is that the transmission clunks 25% of time from 1st to 2nd.
  • Options
    tooundonetooundone Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I am buying a 2008 Honda Odyssey (new) and have a 700 mile trip home from the dealer. What should/shouldn't I do on this trip to break it in properly?

Thanks
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,593
    well, most makers don't really have a strict (if any0 break in requirement. But first thing, check the owners manual!

As a rule of thumb, try to vary the speed as much as possible. Avoid full throttle starts and high RPM, and try to break in the brakes gently.

Pretty much, don't get in and hit the highway and immediately set the cruise for the next 699 miles! Actually, don't use the cruise at all.

even better if you have a mix of highway and secondary roads. Maybe be anal, and get off the interstate every so often and sight see.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Stickguy has it exactly correct. Side roads was the best advice, as you are almost forced to vary the speed etc.
  • Options
    fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    Can anyone tell me what the rpms are when driving @ 70 mph?

Thanks.
  • Options
    depends on the year and model (the VCM versions are geared slightly shorter).

But, IIRC, our 2005 EXL (w/VCM) is at about 2200-2300 or so

• Options
    jtpickjtpick Member Posts: 1
    Found that if I turn off VSA (traction control) I get 23-25 mpg highway.
    This has no effect on city driving and does cause vehicle to be a little jerky.
    I was in the middle of a month long back and forth with honda when I figured this out and when I told them (1-800...) what I had found their final and last response was that my vehicle was functioning as designed.
    Like the Odyssey, hate the mileage and dislike the honda support worse.
  • Options
    shawnab12shawnab12 Member Posts: 1
    man these milage numbers are so varied it's crazy, probably different terrain. We just picked up an 09 exl this weekend. We rented an lx one a year or two ago for highway and loved it, i know i was driving 75-80mpg from florida to georgia probably mostly cruise. 2 adults and 1 infant, car was loaded to the gills with xmas stuff. At the time i was freakin impressed with the milage probably around 25mpg that whole time...i've made this trip hundreds of times. huge difference coming from xterra 6 banger 2wd.that never got more than 18 I always get with that exactly what http://www.fueleconomy.gov says, 14/18...now that's a pos, neighbors tahoe gets better with an 8cyl. So i'm hoping for the published numbers if not better with vcm but who knows...city sucks no matter what unless you drive a 4 banger camry.

great car, cross overs barely get more more mpg if any. the ford edge,etc limo types are just station wagons. Mazda 5 does look interesting mpg wise and seating wise though haven't seen it in person.
  • Options
    hi_tech_rep1hi_tech_rep1 Member Posts: 5
    I now have 10k on my 2008 EXL and JUST got my best mileage. It was 90% highway and I was traveling low 70's mph trying to maintain the ECO. The trip got 24.5MPG on semi-hilly terrain. HOWEVER, two tanks before that I was traveling 90% city driving and got a very disappointing 15.4. As I have stated in prior emails, my 02 EXL NEVER got below 18.4 in ANY tankful. Now that gas is climbing again it will become more of an issue......
  • Options
    mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    This forum has been informative. I've been having same issue as others with very poor gas mileage on 08 Odyssey EX-L. Interesting notes regarding a break-in mileage requirement that a few people have experienced (8k - 10k before mpg rises to expected/advertised). I was wondering if those that had this experience noticed the increase in mpg after a scheduled service? I've tried to be on top of tire pressure and am not a heavy foot driver, so am hoping that this is just a break-in issue. Has anyone had any luck with a Honda dealer when addressing poor mpg?
    Thanks,
    mkielm
  • Options
    We just got back from a xcountry trip, 10k total miles. On 0% alcohol fuel on 5 consecutive ,100% highway, fill-ups to eliminate top-off inconsistencies we got 34, 32 ,31 MPG. Then 28 and 24.5 MPG during the shift to 10% alcohol fuel in the East. Light winds, 0W-20 oil, 92-93 octane fuel, +400 miles, per fill-up, K&N air filter, 60K miles on our 2007 Odyssey, at 65 - 68 MPH, with the A/C on most of the time, on dry roads, with normal tire #. (GPS was used for the MPG calculation). Yes I was driving under the speed limit, but the traffic was light and I do not "draft" or ever coast in neutral. I-90 and 80 fill-ups were at roughly the same altitudes, known via GPS.
    The higher octane fuel gives use a lower pennies per mile since it is less than 8% more than Reg. and we get more than 10% better fuel mileage.
    Easy Driver
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Does your Odyssey have VCM?

Corn fuel sucks for good MPG. Makes the politicians happy though. :(
  • Options
    Our 2007 Ody has VCM and the ECO 3 Cylinder option, EX-L. Most of the time we drive on cruise control, driving just a bit slower than most of the cars a trucks helps. I try to prevent downshifting on hills by dropping Cruise Control on the steeper uphill sections of the highways.
    I agree with your statement regarding alcohol laced fuel.
  • Options
    kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    Just picked it up, I am hoping to get 27mpg on my 50 mile commute to work every day. Was getting 28 on CR-V. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    jreichlingjreichling Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any info on real world mileage comparison between the two?

Honda literature shows EX getting combined 18 and EX-L (with i-VTEC) getting combined 20 mpg. I had one dealer tell me that the EX would get better mileage in real world. I am looking to buy and trying to decide between the two.
  • Options
    Did the dealer that told you the EX will get better mileage have an EX-L in stock.? Often the dealer will make statements that will get you to buy what they have in stock. Also was it dealer management or someone in sales that told you the EX would get better fuel economy?
  • Options
    claim5claim5 Member Posts: 22
    Been commuting from Chicago to St. Paul once a month since March, when I fill up in Chicago mpg tops out at 26 going up to Mn, but return trip always better mileage. Got to be the Chicago EPA blend fuel. Best mileage last month during a fishing trip to northern MN, for a week of mixed driving the average came out to 31 mpg. Back in the Chicago area I get about 15. Last year's 5000 mile trip through the south to the Keys and back up through the East Coast we averaged 26 for the trip. Pretty decent mileage for a 5000 lb (loaded with 5 people and all their stuff) van. Was also very hot, often over 100 degrees, at 75-80 mph with air set at 68.

Brother in law's family have an 07 Town & Country LXI. They're up in Michigan, and get about 22-24 hwy. Nice van, but he's driven mine and says it feels more like a sports car in comparison. I agree. That's why I bought it, much tighter and I think Honda engineered it better. Oh, the 160 speedo got his attention, too. :)

This is my second EX-L and I've been thinking about getting a 2010. Just recently began having judders between 2nd and 3rd gear after software update by Honda. I think it's up-shifting too soon. Following wobblyknobbles on other forum.
  • Options
    The K&N air filter was ordered from one of the many online automotive stores along with a case of Honda oil filters. I do not think it makes much difference compared to a Honda air filter. Easy driving with the a/c only on when needed, rear air off, good air pressure in the tires but mostly, I think a steady right foot. My wife does not get as good gas mileage as I do even with the same ave. speed, (GPS calculation.) If you are looking for fun gadgets try a "Scan Gauge." Once you have the speed and fuel sensors calibrated it is very accurate.
  • Options
    sonicwsonicw Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (w/o PAX). Excellent shape with only single-owner 20,000 miles. Runs excellent and smooth. But...

Yes, there is always a "but" isn't there?

I am somewhat shocked at what I believe to be less-than-expected city mileage. Live in Central Florida, run A/C continuously, most miles are city driving. No heavy foot and smooth on accelerating. My wife and I are experiencing 13-15 MPG city! Last night when we filled up it was our all-time low of 13.1 mpg!!! :surprise: This was our third fill-up since purchasing the Ody.

Does this not seem extremely low? Is anyone else experiencing comparable city mileage? Any ideals? Suggestions?
  • Options
    Howdy! I posted on this board ~ 7 months ago. My 2008 EX-L has had as low as 15.1. My 2002 NEVER got below 18.8. That is a 20% hit on city mileage. I have overinflated my tires by 3PSI and it seems to help. My city averages ~ 18ish.. The BEST highway was 24.8 ~ 3 months ago. I now have 14k. My recommendation is to SLOWLY accelerate w/ this new Oddy. I did not have to w/ the old one, but I don't want 15.1 ever again. Ironically, that was when gas was $4.05 per gal. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick feedback. Based upon what you have offered and what another friend who is an Ody owner reports (17-18 city MPG), I'm going to call my Honda dealer, schedule an appt, and take advantage of some of that Honda Care I hear so much good about. I'll let you know how things work out.

My fear is that the unusually low mileage might be a precursor to something else. I'm already excessively easy on accelerating (and should not even have to do this). If it were not that I park it inside a locked garage every night and park it outside my office window during the day, I'd almost be suspect of someone siphoning gasoline out from underneath.

And ~ You're right. At the current and past gas prices, it's more like "anatomy-per-mile" (an arm and a leg) than "miles-per-gallon". :D
  • Options
    mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    I have 08 EX-RES.

I also posted earlier with questions on similar experiences with low mpg. I just hit 13.1 on city driving for the first time (also a new low for me). I had the new programming installed by my dealer re: the service notice on the tranny studdering issue between 2nd and 3rd a few weeks before this "new low".

Wondering if anyone has experienced poor mileage after this computer program update? I was getting poor mileage before, but not 13 in city.

My other question was whether anyone had improved mileage after an extended break-in (8k to 10k or after the second oil change)?

Thanks,
    mkielm
  • Options
    I took my 2008 Touring into the dealer over the weekend. The computer diagnostics could find nothing wrong or out-of-range. However... my programming had not been done so they did the tranny studdering issue programming while it was in the shop.

I thought I'd share this since my experience seems to indicate that the tranny studdering programming fix may not have anything to do with the low mileage.

In my case, I plan to change gas stations on my next fill-up. I've used nothing but the very same wholesale club gas pumps since I purchased my Ody. Next fill-up I plan to switch to an entirely different independent major gas station and see what happens. I just have a sneaky suspicion, call it a hunch.

I'll let the forum know the outcome when I've calculated my mileage after next fill-up.

The Honda mechanic did agree that 13.1 MPG was excessively low, that diagnostics can't point to anything specifically wrong, the tranny programming wouldn't do anything to help or hinder mileage, and that maybe its related to the gasoline that I am using.
  • Options
    cw30000cw30000 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know how accurate is the fuel gauge? Everytimes I put my car into the garage, and took it out few days later, the gauge always show much lower.

I filled up my tank and drove about 50 miles, 90% highway, the pin was touching (F) when I put the car into the garage on Sunday. When I took the car out today, the gauge is only showing 80% full. Is this normal?

I suspect the garage staffs is stealing gas from their clients/tenants.
  • Options
    Any follow up info on your MPG issue?
  • Options
    bradkansasbradkansas Member Posts: 14
    I bought my Odyseey last April and got 27 mpg driving from Lawrence, Kansas to Denver in the summer with air and a full load for a mountain fishing trip. The mileage was the same as on my '04 which I had traded. However, subsequent to that trip my mileage on the highway without air and running steadily at or just below 2k rpm, I now get at the most 20 hwy and as low as 13 in town. I am a very conservative driver and am shocked at the mileage. I've taken the vehicle to the dealer whom does the updates and is likewise baffled.
    Here's a tip. Take out the seats to lessen the weight. I did so on my 2004 and it made quite a difference. I will do so on the '09 for camping and travel next summer. Additionally, my dealer mechanic, whom has decades of experience, advises to raise the tire pressure to 36. Finally, when on the hwy in the summer, I usually turn off the air and put the air control on recycle when ascending long hills. Having done this when returning from Albert Lee, Mn. a couple years ago with a full load and keeping the rpm at or below 2k, I got about 35 mpg.

Bradkansas
  • Options
    mitchlumitchlu Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up brand new 2010 EX-L, and am extremely disappointed that I couldn't get more than 12 mpg, with City / Highway mileage combined!

I had this old 97 Nissan quest which gave me at least 15 ! I drive very gentle and smooth and this car simply wouldn't give you any more than 12, 13 max.

Couldn't believe that a) A 2010 Honda should be worse than a 97 Nissan B) Honda would state on the sticker that the avg MPG would provide at least 17mpg.

Dealer telling me that I should wait until I get about 2000 miles to give the engine some time to kick in best performance however I checked two friends having about 3500 miles each, they don't get more than 12 either. Is this a scam or what?

Can anybody explain this please?
  • Options
    12!!!!!! Wow, the lowest I got on my 2008 EX-L my first winter was 15.1. I did overinflate the tires to +3 over the recommended. It is definitely better. These new Ody's are tempermental. I just got my best ever at 25.8 on all highway driving. Conditions were 70 degrees, no A/C and driving ~ 72-74mph.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    As a general rule, Honda engines take some time to reach optimum MPG. You'll notice it getting better and better and that by 7500-10K miles, it'll plateau close to the EPA numbers.
  • Options
    our 2005 EXL doesn't get great mileage, but I have never come close to that.

generally 15-17 around town (and that is very short hop, stop/start, often no tirps over 3 miles driving). On th ehighway, even in mixed local/interstate, and not babying it, normal is probably 22? Might get 20 in the summer with AC, roof bag and bikes ont he back. And generally 24-25 on mostly open road if not hammering it too bad.

I think the worst tank in th ewinter was maybe 14, but that was really horrible conditions.

• Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    I have an '09 Touring with the VCM and I drive 3.5 miles one way to the park and ride every day 3 traffic lights and 2 stop signs, fastest speed 50 mph for a mile and average 20.2 mpg.
    I took the van on 4 long trips all highway in the summer fall and winter and averaged from 25.6 the lowest going over the Allegheny Mountains to 31.5 traveling south to South Carolina from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. This was calculated from fill up to fill up and I filled the tank until the gas was just about to come out the neck of the filler tube (that way I know I have an accurate fill each time. The computer calculated mileage was within .2 of the calculated amount which surprised me for the accuracy.
    I have never gotten below 19.5 or .6 on any tank at any time and those times were over the winter when I sat idling in the park and ride lot with the heat on waiting for the bus when the outside temperature was around zero F.
  • Options
    borodiborodi Member Posts: 1
    If the 2011 comes out with a diesel the mpg will be much better from what I have read. Have 2 diesel vehicles now - both with over 150k miles on them. :)
  • Options

• Options
    throw in a 6 speed stick, and I will buy another one.

I wont, however, get another honda AT. I just hope I can make it 3 more years (and to about 85K) before the tranny bites the dust.

• Options
    radoslavradoslav Member Posts: 1
    I have got Honda Odyssey LX model 2008 3 weeks ago. My experience is 23 mpg (1400 miles done). In our contry (Slovakia) such mileage is considered as very high and crazy. 1 galon is for 4,75 EUR = 6,3 USD. Diesel is 13-15% less and diesel car mileage is 20-30% higher. Therefore most of people drives diesel cars with 6-7L/100 km.
    My experience with diesel cars:
    VW Golf Variant 2,0 TDI (140 hp), 123.000 km, 39 mpg in average, takes a lot of engine oil, however, no problem to drive 120 to 125 mph in Germany for a few hours (then 22 mpg) ...
    Mileage of diesel cars is much better generally, however, maintenance costs are higher and older diesel engines are noisy.
  • Options
    Earlier I posted I was getting very poor mileage in the area of teens. I just got back from a two-week trout fishing trip in the Colorado and New Mexico mountains. Remarkably the mileage on my '09 Odyseey was in the mid twenties, the highest was 26.XX. There was two of us with a full load. I've never experienced an altitude difference before.

????????????

Brad
  • Options
    rolojroloj Member Posts: 12
    All you Odssey owners & lovers (myself included) we're all been chatting a long time about the disapointing MPG we are getting from our odysseys. Well there is something you probable dont know. The requirement EPA instructed the automakers to use before the new laws is different. (I do not know the new requirements at this time.) The calculation only required the gas tank to be at a little above the 3/4 tank or at 3/4 tank. (They only calcuate MPG when only 1/4 of the gas from a full tank has been consumed.) We as owners / users apparently make our calculation at various levels of the gas tank; below the 3/4, 1/2 & 1/4 tank where the MPG results are less after the 3/4 tank. You will notice that at gas tank levels between full & 3/4 tank you get more MPG. As you get closer to empty you get less MPG. When you calculate the overall MPG of a full tank or there of, you get 13.XXX or there abouts, MPG.
    If I find the article on the EPA requirements I will post.
  • Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    The true calculation is to fill the tank, as close to the top of the filler tube as you can get, not just when the hose auto shuts off.

Then record your mileage at the fill-up. Run your vehicle until you are low, doesn't really matter whether the warning light is on, but as low as you feel safe going.

Then re-fill your tank, as above again, then record the number of gallons used to fill the tank. and the number of miles driven since the last fill-up.
    Divide the number of miles by the number of gallons used and that results in the miles per gallon for that tank.

I always average 20+ MPG or higher. I travel 3.5 miles one way to a park & ride every day. About 1 mile residential with a couple of stop signs a a traffic light. Then 2.5 miles highway (55 MPH) with 2 lights. This averages just at 20 mpg.

On several trips highway at 65/75 MPH I average 24 to 28 MPG with full luggage for 3 adults and air on the whole way. I never open windows except to pay tolls, my family has allergies so it's not an option.

There are many factors that contribute to actual MPG and the EPA explains they try to simulate average conditions, but load, tire preassure, humidity, octane, ethanol in summer blends (less mpg per gallon with ethanol), spark plug wear, oil, driving conditions (open road, speed, stop and go),etc, all create real world average so just looking at EPA is to compare one vehicle to another. Sometime you get the EPA estimate sometimes you don't.

I have found my trip Comp in my Touring to be reasonably accurate compared to the actual math (varies by a few tenths higher or lower) but I would never quote the computer as actual, just as I don't accept the tank as full when the auto-shut off at the pump occurs, I can always squeeze in at least another gallon or more, which is why to be accurate I fill until I can see fuel at the neck, just be careful not to spill and pollute..if you care about that stuff (plus that wastes money).
  • Options
    Ethanol is a MPG killer, yet the EPA wants more ethanol in fuel.
  • Options
    Roloj,
    Excellent points. I've always filled to when the pump turns off and I insert the nozzle up to the second coil of the spring on the nozzle. The fuel gauge always is at the very top using this method but I will fill the tube almost to the top as you recommend. Additionally, if I fill my tires to 38 instead of 35 I get a bit more mileage but could be contributing to increased tire wear and earlier replacement.

If I keep the RPM steady just below 2K, I can get significantly better mileage on the highway. Finally, I turn off the AC when ascending long hills and turn it back on once over the crest.
    Brad
  • Options
    Ethanol is a MPG killer, yet the EPA wants more ethanol in fuel.

In reality, it's the biofuel industry and corn lobby that is pusing for more ethanol use.
  • Options
    Excellent points. I've always filled to when the pump turns off and I insert the nozzle up to the second coil of the spring on the nozzle.

My understanding is that filling beyond the shutoff point can result in damage to the emmissions systems. YMMV.
  • Options
    rolojroloj Member Posts: 12
    Just something I know from experience with my odys...I get better mileage when loaded on long trips which sounds odd to people. Also, I dont think it is my imagination but using AC does not seems to use any more or much gas when on lobg trips. If I do city or stop and go then I use gas.