Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Tested - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2016 in Chrysler
imagePerformance Tested - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Will the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica perform as expected around our test track? Check out the numbers we recorded while testing this all-new minivan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    No reason that the lower gears in a NINE-SPEED transmission should not allow energetic acceleration at low speeds. That many ratios should allow the engine to QUICKLY get into its powerband and stay there. That 6400-rpm power peak should correspond to no more than 28-30 mph in a powertrain with this many ratios.
  • bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2016
    So, presuming the test date cited isn't an error (8/23/2016), these results are being published 79 days later? I don't think I'd call that "hot off the press".
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @bohio -- We were in the lab with a pen and a pad! Here's a fuller explanation of what we've been up to, if you're curious:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/update-on-edmunds-content.html

-JS
  • bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    For other readers, JS has pointed us to an Instagram-based blog. Which, if you want to comment on the (extremely brief!) updates therein, requires that you register with Instagram. Don't know if this is a better way, but it appears to be the way it is. :-p
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    It's too bad that it doesn't actually have a six speed. I'd be more inclined to buy it instead of having to roll the dice on that ZF nine-speed.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    FYI, Edmunds, the specs list above claims 6-speed, while the narrative claims 9-speed.

I'm very surprised there is no wheelspin off the line. I have a hard time NOT spinning the front tire on takeoff in my wife's '14 T&C.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @qbrozen Oops, thanks for the catch. We'll update that.

-JS
  • stanbergerstanberger Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Based on my experience with previous vans--and my new Pacifica Limited--I'd wager I could spin the tires without any effort on their long-term van. Anything beyond half throttle will get a chirp (or more). And for the record, I've put 4000 plus miles on my van and had no problems in evidence at delivery or since then. I'm thoroughly pleased. Seems to me that there's a tendency to "damn with feint praise" on this long-term test. Even Motor Trend achieved better track results (6.7 sec 0-60 on their lighter Touring version) and approximately the same on the heavier Limited during their Car of the Year testing.
  • sarliziessarlizies Member Posts: 1

No reason that the lower gears in a NINE-SPEED transmission should not allow energetic acceleration at low speeds. That many ratios should allow the engine to QUICKLY get into its powerband and stay there. That 6400-rpm power peak should correspond to no more than 28-30 mph in a powertrain with this many ratios.

Well that way u need to do only 5 automatic speed gear and make them longer thats it!
  • dlamphierdlamphier Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised with the comments about no wheel spin. I have a 2017 Pacifica Limited and I assure you that if you nail the throttle it will spin the tires.