Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi kiawah. I haven't heard of such a change, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you want to, you can ask in the CarSpace! discussion. Someone who knows should see it and respond.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Dude, you gotta check this website out re: outrageous MPG.

picctv.com/ut

Later Caaz
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Did a weekend trip to Buffalo, 916 total miles, only 30 miles city driving plus 3 miles of stop/go in construction (went 5 miles in 25 min and according to the GPS, 7 min of the 25 were standing still), 28.33 mpg.

I now have records for the last 3471 miles, most of which were freeway, typically cruising at 70 mph. Avg mpg is 28.24.
  • dremdrem Member Posts: 24
    It's been a while since I have posted. My 1999 Camry is still posting lower than normal mileages. Long runs at 72mph w/CC used to give a solid 36-37 mpg, but now the mileages range all over from 32.5 to 35mpg on the same trips I have always been taking. My mechanic can't locate an obvious cause, but I am not going to start replacing computers, O2 sensors, etc. without good cause.

I thought it might be varying ethanol concentrations, but I took my 2004 Camry on the same trips twice and the mpg's on those two trips were 35.3 and 35.7 (normal)so it's not obvious that the fuel is the main culprit.

This weekend I took a round trip from Durham to Columbia and back in the 2004. I pumped the tires to 35psi and set the CC at 66 mph. (There was a little 60-65mph around the beltline). 323 miles up and 325 miles back with one cold start and a small side trip to the mall. 648 miles overall on one one tank and consumed 15.50 gallons filler cap to filler cap at the same pump. Overall mpg was 41.8. The low fuel light never came on...

This is my third long run with the 2004 at 66 mph now. My mileages were 40.0, 40.4 and 41.8. Interestingly, the two lower runs were on the 'open' road with little traffic. This weekends run was with plenty of traffic. Was the higher mpg due to a lot of being sucked along by all the rest of the cars that were going 10mph faster than me? Maybe...

Drem
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Based on the transmission shifts in 2007+ Camrys, the most fuel-efficient point appears to hit between 45 to 50 miles at around 1,500 RPM. Anything above 50 miles, the RPM raises a lot. What's the actual MPG if driving 45-50 miles constantly for one hour with cruise on?
    I have made one long run at 60 mph and got 44 mpg. I have no idea about any runs at 45-50 mph. Actually, I don't know of anywhere around me where I could drive, safely and continuously at 45-50 mph so I could not help you by making such a run.

Other people have recorded 50mpg in Accords and Camrys driving 55 mph. I suspect that's about the best you would see. Driving at 1500 rpm is not very efficient in terms of manifold vacuum and thermal efficiency for an internal combustion engine. I think suspect that you might actually get less than 55 mpg at 45 mph.

drem
    It is indeed the sweet spot. I drove 100 miles today on highway at 50 mph constantly, and I am getting an astounding 44 MPG on highway, and it only has 650 miles on the odometer. Perhaps it can go more. :)
    I do have Michelin "Energy" MXV4S8's tires in my 2009 Camry LE. Only the Japanese-made Camry get them. The USA-made Camry get Bridgestone. Nice to hear it improves MPG.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Not true, unless something has changed.

I had Michelin Energy's on my American made 2007 LE. Have since replaced them with a different Michelin.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Same here - '07 USA built CE - Michelin Energy's .
    I mean for 2009 model year only.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning All:
    Monday I traveled from Nothern New Jersey to the Philadelphia Airport, and then to Atlantic City, and then back home to Northern New Jersey. I averaged 31.9 MPG using 87 no-name fuel, and traveling at an average of 65mph. The vehicle performed GREAT! ---- At one point in the trip to Philadelphia, I had to move into the left hand lanes to go over the birdge and I pressed hard on the accelerator and the transmission down shifted smoothly and the vehicle accelerated like a rocket! I went from 65 to 80 in a second. The "up-shift" was equally as smooth!

I would purchase another V6 Camry. My vehicle is 22 months old, and I have 37,000 + miles on it at the present time! ---- (I never had to have any warranty work performed on this vehicle!) ---- By this time next year, I will probably have between 88,000 to 90,000 miles! I will be looking at either a 2009 / 10 Camry, a Honda Accord or a Chevrolet Impala as a replacement vehicle. (My Camry is under warranty untill 100,000 miles, so as such, I will have 10,000 miles to find a replacement vehicle.)

The Camry has Michelin tires. (The vehicle came with Bridgestone Tires, but I would not accept delivery until the dealer switched the Bridgestone for Michelin tires.) ----- I would not own a vehicle with either Firestone of Bridgestone tires. They are an accident looking for a place to happen!

NOTE:
    The Buffet at Atlantic City was "GREAT"!

Best regards to all! ------------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    My average summer city MPG went up from 22 to 25 ;) . Here is what had changed:
    1) Had an engine short block replaced by dealer due to coolant leak
    2) Switched to synthetic oil
    I'm still not filling the tank full and using amount of gas reported by pump to do my calculations.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hey fornax, i see you are getting around 30 mpg on your camry 4-cyl. i think you should able to get more mpg. my 2006 camry V6 get 27.56 mpg ( 95 % highway). I think i will get around 30 mpg this time. just got my car oil changed, new air filter,..
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Well my odometer just hit 1600 miles on my 08 Solara SE hardtop 4cyl. automatic. MPG has been quite good so far. 1st tank avg. was 29.3mpg and now my 4th tank just returned 32.1 on a 90% highway trip to NJ and back from DC. I used the tried and true method of miles traveled divided by gallons filled. The MPG gauge read 31.3 mpg. Hopefully it will improve more as the powertrain breaks in further.
  • smartblondesmartblonde Member Posts: 1
    A couple of questions:
    1) are you saying that the "Tank Avg" display is probably not an accurate MPG reading? should I just figure it the old-fashioned way of miles divided by gallons?
    2) the first fill-up the tank avg. displayed 25.9; the second fill-up displayed 28.9; now it's only reading 23.4-yikes!!! I do a lot of short trip, city driving. I wondered if the brand of gas made a difference (1st was by dealer, 2nd was BP gas, 3rd was WaWa gas). I am bummed that I'm getting such a low reading right now--only have about 600 miles on it.
    3) do those Michelin Energy tires (or others) really make a difference in MPG?

Thanks for all your help--I have a lot to read through...........:-)
    Best way is go fill up only until the pump shuts off. Reset trip odometer. Next time you fill up, go to the same pump and fill up again, noting the miles since last fill-up and the gallons you just put in, divide miles/gallons. Do this many times in a row to get a true average.

Tires make a little difference, but the big differences are the driver and the driving conditions.
    Well mine varied by .8 mpg compared to the old fashioned way. Several other posts have stated differences between the 2 methods. I read on one of the posts that the computer actually takes its reading off one of the intake lines--not sure if its the air or fuel line. Also, I can reset my mpg gauge for tank to tank comparison by holding in the display button on the steering wheel.
    My last tank calculation was 29.2 mpg and the avg. mpg readout was at 32.3--so the computer readout was 3 mpg higher than the actual calculation. There was a good bit of rush hour stop and go on this tank and I altered my commute which takes my over 2 mountains. On this tank I decided to try to keep the RPMs at or under 2000 and moderate my speed against the instant mpg gauge display to see how much it affects MPG.
  • ratten46ratten46 Member Posts: 11
    Just returned from a 650 mile trip. 99 Camry 4-cyl with 150K on Odometer. 35.0 MPG average, 95% Interstate, mostly driving 65-70 MPH. Last summer got 35.9 on same trip. Calculated manually.
  • guyverfanboyguyverfanboy Member Posts: 20
    Any body have any MPG's for 2009 or 2010 Camry SE V6? I curious as to what the real world MPG is for them....
    I just filled up and checked the odometer on my 08 Solara 4 cyl. 478.5 miles and used 16.2 gal of fuel=29.54 mpg. The computer reported 31.2 mpg. This is at mostly hwy speeds 60-80 mph and 70% hwy driving with the defroster on for my 35 mile morning commute. Car now has 5,862 miles. I hope to get higher MPG as it breaks in further.
  • alan42alan42 Member Posts: 1
    HI. I am new here. I have a 2002 camry 4 cylinder automatic. on the highway with the air on or off I have getting 39 mpg + or - a few tenths since i have had it. i could not believe it. in the city its about 30 our here in vegas, not that much stop and go out here, its mostly go. I love it.
    I drove to the Jersey Shore last week from West by god Virginia in the 08 Solara. Speeds were pretty much 70-80 mph on the highway until I hit NJ, then stop and go and boardwalk traffic for the remainder of the tank. I filled up with 513 miles on the odo and took 16.6 gal. of fuel for a 30.9 mpg on that tank. Computer read 31.8 mpg and is the closest reading to actual mpg that I've had since owning the car. Sunroof open most of the time on highway and A/C on during stop and go traffic. 7800 miles on car so far. I was hoping the 4cyl would get more mpg and hope it does as it breaks in further.
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    I drive almost all city mileage and have an infiniti g35. I get 16 mpg at best.
    I'm considering a camry V6, what can I expect?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You can expect about 20-22 MPG in a V6 Camry in city driving.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Depends on how you define "city." I'd recommend renting a Camry V6 first to see how you do before shelling out money for a new car.

My wife is getting only about 20 mpg in a 4-cylinder 2005 Camry in our small town. But her average one-way drive is only about 5-7 miles, and there are several traffic lights along the way.
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    My commute is exactly the same, sometimes waiting times at the lights are long also. Acutally I'd probably only be buying this car if I can get a steal on 2009 with less 10k miles. There's one where I live with 3000 miles totally loaded with nav.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    So I'd conclude you'd see little improvement (if any) in gas mileage by switching from the G35 to the Camry V6. You'd have to make the trade based on other grounds (like getting top dollar for your G35 and getting the slightly used '09 Camry for a steal).
    Came back from another jaunt to NJ beaches tonight with improved MPG. I changed the oil last week with 5W/20 Quaker State full synthetic and a Bosch filter. The oil was on sale at Wally World for $18 and with a $3 off coupon from Auto Zone the filter was $3. So for $21 I did a full synthetic change in about 10 minutes in my driveway. Anyway, I topped my tires to 35 PSI and took off. 518 total miles and filled 15.7 gal (topping off too) for an MPG of 32.99. Trip computer read 34.1. This is the best mpg thus far and I'm pleased. Solara now has just under 10k miles.
  • moped200moped200 Member Posts: 1
    The point I would like to make is Toyotas dont get that good mpg. I mean it is not like they get 200 or 300 mpg. Nope only about 20 - 30 mpg. There are way too many on the road at a time. I have been riding a bike and I can judge when the price of oil will rise. Most people should just sit and dont drive. Like there has always been cars that can get 20- 30 mpg. The specific fuel consumption for an internal combustion engine has always been around 20-30 percent. It is a bit less for dodge than toyota because the dodge has a different cam and runs a bit slower. However the toyota does have a 5 speed transmission that you must shift a lot at every corner. Way too many extra trips everywhere by a lot of people. Way too many people with over revved engines. 2004 - 2009 could be listed as an auto war with thousands being killed in accidents.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    2150 miles, mostly interstate with cruise set at 68-71 mph. One partial tank of around town driving. Overall 28.2 mpg (similar trip last year was 28.8). The highway only tanks averaged over 29 mpg.

This is the 3rd 2000+ mile trip in which I have averaged 28 or close. When I used to set the cruise at 73-74, mileage was 26 to 27. Highway mileage is very speed dependent.

I know this engine isn't available any longer but my figures show that with careful driving, one can meet or even exceed the EPA highway figures. Under the new procedure, this engine is rated at 18 city, 27 hwy.
    This concerns my 2004 2.4A vehicle.

I continue to make 355 mile round trips to Charlotte every month or so. I enjoy the ride at a CC setting of 66-67 mph. I also enjoy the rock solid 40-40.5 mpg fuel mileage each and every time. This include one cold start each weekend.

I also make a couple trips to PA every year. The last one a couple weeks ago was at a CC of 72 gave an entirely expected 36.2 mpg. That was 506 miles up and 507 miles back. Fuel used was 14.0 gal up and 13.9 gal back.

A while back my normally identical performing 1999 2.2A was starting to get more erratic numbers of 32-35mpg, but that has since seemed to have come around to a consistent 35+mpg again. I don't really know what may have hurt the mileage or helped the mileage recover. I really didn't do anything but oil changes and manage tire pressure as normal...

Again, for the record, I get about 1.3-1.5 extra gallons in after the first click off until fuel shows in the filler pipe.

Mileage around town isn't very meaningful for me. My wife has a 7 mile highway commute each way to work and gets 25-26 mpg consistently. I drive all kinds of mild city and highway and get 25 mpg consistently.

Drem
  • montecristomontecristo Member Posts: 11
    I need help from all the math whiz out there.

My lease is up and I need to purchase a car within the next 7 days.
    My options are Camry LE 4-cyl ($19,900+TTL, 0% for 60 months) and Toyota Prius II($23,200, 7% for 60 months). I'm putting 0% down.

Camry seems to be the right choice but I'm driving 2500 miles a month. With the gas price of $3.25, will be saving more money by buying the Prius?
    What is the assumed mpg that you are going to use on the two vehicles?

And is it assumed that you are going to have the vehicles for 60 months?

Is that amount of the vehicle the total amount being financed....or is there tax and other stuff that you haven't indicated what they are?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It isn't just the mileage although that's important. Some people love how the Prius drives but others hate it. Drive them both and see which you find the most comfortable, because it sounds like you spend a lot of time in your car. There is a Camry Hybrid too, which you can get 1 or 2 years old for the price of a new 4 cyl Camry.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • montecristomontecristo Member Posts: 11
    I'm not assuming any mpg for the two but I guess that's what I'm asking. My commute is 95% freeway drive but about 30% of it is stop and go traffic. If you're familiar with socal i'm commuting from irvine to Los Angeles on I5.
    I'm going to keep the car for at least 4 years. I was leaning towards prius because I thought I'd save about 120 bucks on gas per month but that was based on 29mpg on camry. But it seems like some of you are getting 40+mpg. That means it's cheaper to own camry.
    Assuming everythings equal (in terms of $ to own) I want to get a prius.
    Well but the prius is more expensive, and you are paying interest on the money:
    - for gas cost, advantage prius
    - for monthly loan cost of vehicle (including interest costs), advantage camry
    - for depreciation cost and loss of value at end of 60 months (ie, depreciation cost)......I don't know. I'd suggest research trade in values of 5 year old vehicles as a percentage of their purchase cost. Personally, I would probably not feel real comfortable buying a high mileage 5 year old prius.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You will not average 40 mpg in the Camry unless the commute has no stop and go. I would guess that 35 could be reached if you drive carefully though. The new Prius will get well over 50 mpg. My father bought one a few months ago and his lifetime average is 56.2 mpg (2,500 miles on car so far). That includes highway, trips to the grocery store etc. He is retired though so he does not commute.

I know people are not interested in this these days with convenience being king, but a Camry with the manual transmission will get a few mpg better and will cost $1,000 less than the automatic. So if you are looking for cost savings that will beat the AT Camry. For that matter the Corolla (or Civic if you look at other brands) will be more efficient than the Camry for less money.
    "I know people are not interested in this these days with convenience being king, but a Camry with the manual transmission will get a few mpg better and will cost $1,000 less than the automatic. So if you are looking for cost savings that will beat the AT Camry"

As an owner of Camry manual transmission, I completely agree! Besides cheaper, it makes a big family car more fun.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    Mix of 50% interstate and 50% in town driving gives me a pretty consistent 26mpg avg.
    Best MPG yet was summertime, Air Conditioning on, Cruise set at 63, traveled 178 Interstate only miles - got 39.72 MPG
    I just filled up my 08 Solara 4 cyl auto with 501 miles on the tank. The tank took 17.0 gal with a top off to the top of the neck for 29.47 mpg avg. The computer read 31.4 mpg. The low fuel light turned on approx. 20 miles before I filled up and I still had a1.5 gal. reserve based on the 18.5 gal. fuel tank spec. It appears that Toyota programs the low fuel light to turn on with approx 2 gal left in the tank.

Travel consisted of a 115 mile round trip to Dulles Airport out side of DC for the annual antique plane/car show last Saturday in stop and go traffic with 2 teenagers. Four days of my 80 mile daily commute with 75% highway travel and a few local errands thrown in along the way.

The highest mpg I've ever attained was 33-34 on all highway travel and I just just clicked 13000 miles on the car.
    crazedcommuter,

You will get your best mpg and slickest running engine in the 40-100 thousand mile range. But even at 120,000, my 1999 4cyl auto still gets a sweet 35-37 at a 72 mph cruise.
    I drove a Toyota Versa at a 72 mph cruise and got 41 mpg. The 5 mpg edge was not worth the roomier and more luxurious Camry IMO. I absolutely believe that the 1999 is a much better car than my 2004. I hope to rent a new 2010 soon and give it a spin...

Drem
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 4 cyl automatic 2010 I bought 2 months ago. I'm only getting 27 mpg with almost all highway driving. I am a very gentle driver and try to squeeze as much from the car as I can. I used to get 29 mpg on my 1992 4 cyl auto Camry that I recently stopped driving. I now have about 2000 miles on the new one. I haven't had anything done like an oil change. Suggestions? :confuse:
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I have to agree that older Camry's are more fuel efficient than those produced since 2000. We have a 4 cyl 2000 Camry and rarely get more than 27-28 on the highway and never better than 19 in the city. It's often less than that in the winter. But it is a comfy car that I enjoy driving. And has had no real repair problems so has been inexpensive to own despite not getting great mileage. You probably will get better mileage once the car is broken in.
    People who seem to get 35 - 40 mpg - any hints?
    It sounds too good to be true!
    I get 32.5 mpg on my commute to work, which is 70% 2 lane highway with some traffic lights and 30% light city traffic. Don't idle, don't mash the gas, make sure you are doing the math properly, and try a tank at 65 mph all highway. I bet you will get into the 30+ range easily.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    i get 28-29 mpg on my 2006 camry le v6. 95% freeway. The car is about 166,000 miles..
    mcdawgg - what tire inflation do you use? Mine are what the dealer set - I haven't tried to measure yet. I drive 5 - 10 minutes across town - (5 miles) then 15 on the interstate (light traffic at 65 mph) then 3 minutes in a small town. I've done the math 3 times with 26, 27 and 27 as the results. I've been using my '92 Camry for trips around town. I'll keep measuring but it's a puzzle. I should be getting more like yours. It sounds like you're from the South saying "mash."
    Tire inflation = 34 lbs, per the inside door jamb. I'm from the snowy North :(