Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Car Fraud ! Gives the Scammer the car and its title !

thevaibhav1981thevaibhav1981 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2016 in Honda
I wanted to upgrade my 2015 Honda Accord V6 that was leased from Honda Financials and hence took to a few dealerships for evaluation. Most quoted numbers far less that the payoff value and hence decided to list the car on various websites including Edmunds / Cars.com and KBB.com

I am keep names, email address and phone numbers confidential as the case is currently being investigated by the police. I am posting this to help other seller be aware of this possibly type of Scam and also protect them from the thousands towards lawyers fees they might have to spend to possible recover.

Mr XX called me and expressed interest in buying my car given that I had a very detailed description on the site, he said he is willing to make a full price offer. I had mentioned it was a lease and hence he offered to make direct payments to Honda and once I receive the payoff confirmation and title that he would have the car picked up.. He mentioned he lived in another state but his sister and brother lived 45 miles from where i am at.. we executed a bill of sale with the details that included that once Honda get the money and once title is release to me, he can collect the car..

Seemed like a fair deal and hence i called Honda and explained the situation and authorized them to speak to Mr. XX to make a payoff.. MR XX called Honda, provided his Bank information and made the payoff payment. He then called me and gave me the confirmation number.. I called Honda and they confirmed that payoff instruction was received and that i should get the titles in a few days..

I called Honda a few days later when i observed that they payment had reversed and was told that this was a result of a BANK error and that they were in touch with MR XX.. MR XX also messaged me that a bank error caused the payment to be returned and that a new payment was made.. Honda confirmed a new payment was received..

A few days later, I get the payoff letter, odometer statement and my title in the mail..its a weekend so could not call Honda, but I check online and my account says paid off.. I inform Mr. XX that the title has arrived and he confirms that his sister would pickup the car the next day.. Given that he made the payoff and his sister was to collect the car, i asked him to send me an authorization confirming that his sister would collect the car.. I also asked him to send a bank confirmation letter confirming funds were collected from his account !

Miss YY arrives at the said time with the Bank letter and Mr XX emails me the authorization to hand over the car.. Honda website says the account is paid off and hence I remove my tag, Cancel my insurance and then hand over the car to miss YY. I also go to the DMV and transfer the car over...

A few days later I am informed by Honda that the 2nd payment made has also been rejected by the bank! I just could not believe this ! I asked Honda why they sent me the title and payoff if the payment was not confirmed and was told that it is as per process that once payoff is requested a title and payoff letter is sent without confirming funds were received ! This was a shock to me .. a very rude and expensive shock..

Mr XX and Miss YY has since disappeared and i am left with a 25000 dollor bill.. money that i just dont have !

I made a police complaint and also following up with a demand notice... this is a new type of SCAM.. One that give the Scammer not only the car but also a clean title to sell the car..

Please be aware... I will as soon as the investigation is complete release the names, email address, photos and other information to all..

Please help forward this..