Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester

Comments

• Options
    dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    I'm averaging 29-30 mpg in my '06 X Premium with mostly highway driving so I can believe it.
  • Options
    mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    Hello.

I drove both the Outback and Forester. I also liked the Outback's snazziness, but I chose the Forester because it had more proven and documented crash test information and a little bit better reliability according to a leading consumer magazine. The Outback does have a couple pluses -- I believe it's made in Indiana (vs. Japan -- if this matters to you) and it has side curtain airbags instead of just side seat airbags like the Forester. I don't know why the IIHS has not crash tested the Outback -- they did the Legacy, but their results for the Legacy said they do not apply to the Outback, so I chose the Forester. The Forester to me feels more nimble and easier to control than the Outback. Where I am located, the Forester X was the less expensive of the two by several thousand, so this is another reason I chose it over the Outback.
  • Options
    bayview6bayview6 Member Posts: 141
    dirtbag, how many miles do you have on your '06 Forester?

I'm beginning to think that there is something wrong with my Forester because it gets so lousy gas mileage.
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Hey, give us more details about your circumstances.
    manual / auto ?
    usual distance driven when you go anywhere? ?
    city? country ? mix ?
    hilly ? flat terrain?
    whereat are youse in the USA?

30 mpg isn't out of reach. This time of year I'm averaging over 30mpg in an '05 XS, stick shift in eastern PA. Daily commute of 14 miles one-way, highway, with some bumper-to-bumper miles, plus a few 100 or 200 mile trips evenings and weekends in rolling hills. 30k miles on the FXS / 18 months

All of these contribute to a decent mpg. Take any of these favorable conditions away and I know I won't do as well in a Subie, or in any car / truck / SUV for that matter. For example, if I lived in Houston with the many 100-degree days necessitating liberal use of A/C, I'd easily lose 2-3 mpg right there.

Things to check -
    tire pressure (I add 2 psi over recommended),
    how much you use the A/C (I use the ol' 4x40 A/C *** unit unless it's really blazing hot out),
    how aggressively you use the gas,
    try a different brand of gas if you're always buying from the same gas station.
    are other drivers in the family (kids?) flogging the beast?
    it can't hurt to ask the Subie dealer to see if anything is amiss, especially if you haven't seen any issues with performance.
    tires worn? Hate to say this, but anyone with worn tires will automatically see better mpg since the odometer will indicate an inflated number of miles. If the tread depth decreases 1/4 inch, I estimate a 2 to 2.5 percent increase in indicated miles traveled. At 30mpg, that would be an extra 0.7 mpg gain over new tires.

*** 4x40 A/C unit = crank all four windows down and do at least 40mph. Interesting enough, Mythbusters did a study on regular A/C vs 4x40 and found the 4x40 gave better gas mileage by a significant degree.
  • Options
    I have just 3500 miles so far. I've calculated just about every tank of gas. Some tanks are about 28mpg, others are 32. I live in the mountains of Colorado. I live right next to a rural freeway and work right next to it too, so hardly any of my driving is what you'd call "city." Sometimes I go weeks without ever seeing a stoplight. This surely is a big advantage for fuel economy.

I pay attention to things like proper air pressure, never "stomping" on the gas pedal and driving the speed limit. Those things help too. I use the air conditioning but not a lot.

Bayview6, if you take a trip somewhere at 65mph and you're not getting around 28mpg, I think I would talk to the Subaru dealer If I was you.

Just FYI, before I bought my Subaru, I had an Acura Integra. In it I recently took a 2000 mile trip across Utah and Nevada averaging 80 miles per hour. My fuel mileage was 10 mpg less than typical, because I was going so fast. It does make a difference.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We tend to talk about our very best tanks.

I got 17.3mpg last time I was towing a trailer. :surprise:

Also, I spent a week in the OBX, and it was on the sand pretty much the whole time, and I got just 20.7mpg.

One other time, also towing, I got in the teens. But that's it.

As they say YMMV.

-juice
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    I'm concerned about my gas mileage also.

I'm getting no better than 18mpg on my 06 FXT 4EAT in 70/30 mixed driving, and around 20mpg on road trips.

What concerns me is that prior to April I was averaging 21mpg in mixed driving and 24mpg on road trips, so basically I have experienced a mysterious 3-4mpg drop in fuel efficiency. Acceleration seems a bit sluggish lately as well.

I check the air in my tires religiously, so it's not that. My driving habits have not changed that I am aware of. I'm pretty easy on the a/c also.

Other considerations:

The first week in April I changed my oil for the second time (approx 7800 miles) and switched the conventional for Castrol Syntec Blend. The first couple of fill-ups after that is when I noticed the mpg drop. I wouldn't think a synthetic blend would cause a mpg drop, though.

Also, within a few days of that oil change, I seriously flooged my car several times while driving on the freeway. We're talking rapid acceleration from 70 to 110 mph, just for a few seconds, then dropping back down within legal limits again. Obviously illegal and dangerous, yes, so spare me any lectures please, I'm just going through the facts. Besides, it's an XT - few could resist the turbo's temptation on an open road. :shades: Any chance I caused some damage that could be affecting current mileage and performance?

Was on a road trip following the oil change, out of state, and could only find 91 octane gas. I usually use 93. I used two tankfuls of the 91 octane, one from a no-name chain. I noticed a slight performance drop during these tankfuls because of the fuel grade, but it shouldn't cause a long-term problem, should it? That gas is long gone by now, and regardless, 91 is ok to use in the FXT.

I've changed my air filter (only a little dirty after 10k miles) and added fuel injector cleaner to my gas in an effort to solve this problem, but neither worked. I show close to 12 psi of boost, so the turbo appears to be working ok after the flogging.

I just passed 11k miles and this is still a mystery. :confuse:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Doug
  • Options
    The ECU will lean/enrich your fuel mixture according to the way you drive. It actually tries to get the best mileage possible, but it also wants to meet your requirements for driving.

My guess is it will slowly lean out the fuel mixture as you go back to your normal driving style and octane as well.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, Juice.

I actually considered the same thing and reset the ECU a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice an immediate improvement. :blush:

Maybe patience would help here, but with a 250 mile range and high gas prices, patience is hard to come by!

Doug
  • Options
    What the heck, I may as well throw this out there too -

I am running Cobb Stage 1 with the 93 octane map, or at least I was until a few days ago.

This would be insignificant to my mileage concern as I was getting close to 22 mpg in mixed driving the first few months after installing the AP - if anything my mileage was 1-2mpg better after the reflash.

But when I filled up with 91, I had to drive several miles before I was able to upload the 91 octane map to my ECU.

Again, this was two months ago. My gas has gone back to 93 and so has my map. But starting then, I noticed the drop in gas mileage. A few days ago I decided to unmarry the AP altogther and see what effect that has.

Doug
  • Options
    My '06 auto premium has about 6700 miles. I live in eastern Oklahoma in a small city and most of my driving is around town. I just filled up the tank after doing all city driving, some of it like 1 mile only, other times 6 or 7 miles. MY latest number is just over 20 mpg. I had the check engine light come on about a month ago and the dealer did a computer re-burn and put in a new temperature sensor. Since then the mpg has gotten better...was 17.5 around town. I get about 25.5 on the highway doing about 75 mph. When I first got the Forester I drove in a spirited manner but now am driving very softly. Don't use the A/C much but will try your suggestion of 4x40.

I use nitrogen in the tires and the tire pressure is 33. Have Goodyear ComforTreds which have about 6000 miles on them. Terrain is hilly to flat and I use Shell gasoline at the same pump so the amount of fill-up is reasonably close. Also, I'm the only one driving the vehicle.

Maybe my 20 mpg is correct given the short trips I take.
  • Options
    I'm going to take your advice and next week take a long highway drive at 65 mph to see what the mpg is. If it's not 28 mpg I'm going to give the dealer a call.
  • Options
    Keep in mind the first tank of fuel after a reset will return lousy mileage (it defaults to "rich"). Give it about another tank to lean out, then measure again.

-juice
  • Options
    Re: the 4x40 suggestion. I've heard from several sources that riding with your windows open at higher speeds creates more drag and you're better off using the A/C. I rarely ride with my windows open except at speeds below 35 or so. Any faster than that, I think it's too noisy and annoying. The extra drag doesn't really cross my mind but perhaps closed windows helps with my mileage.
  • Options
    jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    This is the second '06 Subaru in my household (other car is my partner's Legacy 2.5SE sedan)

I have to say that I am shocked at how well the Forester handles for such an upright car with all that ground clearance. I'm also surprised at how rich feeling the interior is with the dimpled vinyl material on the dash and doors, and silver-colored center stack. I'm hoping someone could help me with the following questions:

-I find the brake pedal to be a bit mushy, and the stopping distance in the Forester is much longer than that in the Legacy and the Jeep Liberty that I traded for the Forester. I have the X model with rear drum brakes. I don't know if this is the culprit, but I was wondering if I could fit the car with larger brakes? Should this give the car a more secure braking feel?

-The window sticker indicates that the car was assembled in Newport News, VA. I understood that the Forested was built in Japan. Can someone clarify?

-Does anyone have the short-throw shifter? I replaced the stock shift knob on the Legacy with the Momo shift knob from Subaru. The shift action with this is near-Honda like in its snick-snick operation and makes the Legacy a blast to drive. I paid $80 some dollars for this at the dealer and installed it myself. The short-throw shifter for the Forester is over $250 and does not seem to be a new shift knob, but rather, a totally different shift mechanism. Is anyone familiar with the difference between the two Legacy and Forester shifters? I'm assuming that are very different just based on the price difference.

Thanks!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Re: the brakes, Jeff, all Foresters seem to have longer brake pedal "free play" than most other vehicles. It was one of the first things I noticed on my test drive when I approached my first stop. Other people have commented on this as well.

As for the longer braking distances, I can't comment on the X with rear drum brakes as I don't own that particular model.

Doug
  • Options
    Bleed the brakes and use upgraded fluid. That might firm it up a bit.

One aftermarket shop even sells a brace you use to firm up the location where the brake master cylinder is mounted.

I'd do those cheaper/easier solutions before I changed out the rear brakes completely.

I have the SPT shifter for my '98, it might differ slightly, but basically I just yanked the lever out of the kit and swapped only that. There's less insulation, it deletes a layer of rubber in the lever itself, so it's more direct feeling.

-juice
  • Options
    Here they are side-by-side...
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Foresters have always been known for spongy brake feel but that doesn't affect stopping distances.

All Foresters are built in Japan but many of the options (speaker kits, mud flaps, etc.) are "port installed" so maybe that's what the sticker is referring to.

-Frank
  • Options
    fdr1371fdr1371 Member Posts: 5
    So I guess I've perked a few interests w/ my posts - so I'll try to put out as much info as I can.

When I don't ride my motorcycle, my daily drive (city only) is about 22 miles RT (St. Paul, MN to Minneapolis), speeds in the 30-45 mph range. Much more go than stop, as I commute in the early am (6ish) so there isn't much traffic. Return trip (3-4ish) is pretty decent as well - no bumper to bumper traffice per se.

We purchased a new '06 Forester X, plain Jane 5sp MT basically Nov. 1 of '05, so it has been through one weak MN winter. Only options I have are the speakers and a sub - so plan Jane indeed. I'm 95% good on the gas - shifts in the low 3k - every now and again shifting at 4k - very, very rarely do I let it go to 5k. 16+ yrs driving MT vehicles - so I've learned to be easy on the clutch/gas.

This type of driving nets me right at about 22-23 mpg (right along the suggested raitings correct?). Driving done w/ me as solo occupant. As I ride my motorcycle pretty much all the time now, the A/C is pretty much never used on these types of trips.

For comparison - my old 4x4 F-150 (5.4L V-8) would get about 14 mpg on said trip.

My mixed cty/hwy driving consits of 30-60 min jaunts in the metro area at speeds of about 55-60 mph. This type of driving nets me mixed mileage at about 24-26 mpg. Drives done w/ 2 adults, 1 child, and 1 baby - no gear/luggage. A/C just starting to be used now that it is warming up.

This was the first time we have been able to take her on a long trip. Same ridership as above - add gear for a 4 day wknd, food, coolers. Also an aluminum cargo carrier running off of the hitch - packed to the hilt. Speeds right about 65-70 mph w/ cruise on 90% of the trip. A/C ran the entire trip - usually fully C and either 1 or 2 fan speed. Trip up, mid 80s. Trip back - mid 90s.

Best I ever got w/ the truck on the same trip was 18 mpg. Once...

I am the original owner, and have put more than 95% (7k now) of the miles on her - my wife driving the other 5%, and she drives more gingerly than I do. Break-in was done to the T - and there has been pretty much zero hooliganism w/ her so far (though she does corner quite nicely...).

Hope this answers some of the questions - please ask more and I'll be happy to respond.

And of course, YMMV.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Soooo... did I miss reading it - but what was your MPG on the long trip?
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Gas mileage today is important. They both do well for AWDs for automatic tranys both rated 23 mpg city and highway Legacy 30 mpg, Forester 28.

Horsepower is about equal. Pricing is also about equal. IIHS crash test scores were perfect for both.

Edmunds Editors rating scored Legacy 8.7 and Forester 8.0. C.R. overall rating was 'VERY GOOD' for both. J.D. Power overall rating was 3 for Legacy and 4 for Forester.

Seems they're pretty equal except Forester is the larger vehicle. But the Legacy has curtain side airbags protecting rear side passengers. I have children. I would want airbags in the rear. It seems to me the Forester is a family car. Why wouldn't it include rear airbags? :confuse:
  • Options
    Yesterday morning, filled up the tank and drove 67.8 highway miles to Tulsa. On cruise control most of the way, averaging 67 mph. AC was on, set at 75F. Tire pressure was 34.

MPG was 28.64.

Probably my very short trips around town really eat into my city mpg (18 to 20) and driving at 80 mph probably reduces hwy mpg by 10%.
  • Options
    28+ mpg is pretty good.

Based on my experiments, the difference in mileage at 80 mph vs. 65 mph is more like 25%, not just 10%. Of course yours may vary. Another thing to consider besides mileage is that it also reduces life expectancy. :sick:

I used to have a heavy foot and averaged 75-80 on the freeway. I've gotten over it. Guess I'm in less of a hurry these days. Some of the freeways in my state have a speed limit of 75. Most are 65, so that's where I set it and watch everyone else fly by. :)
  • Options
    Good advice! I'm going to start driving 65 mph, mainly by using cruise control. :D
  • Options
    jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    I'm loving this car! I've had my '06 Forester X 5 speed for 10 days now. I have 1450 miles and have filled up 4 times. MPG per tank were 27.6, 29.5, 27.4, and 30.6. I drive 80% highway and have used AC approx 50% of the time. These numbers include some stop and go commuter driving, but highway driving is usually done between 65-75 MPH. I'm hoping that these numbers go up as the engine becomes "broken in".

It seems like Subaru is late to stability control party. I believe the only cars with this are the B9 Tribeca and Outback VDC? The reason I mention this is because I almost lost control of my Forester a few days ago. I was on an exit ramp connecting the Garden State Pkwy to I-80, and traffic on the ramp came to an abrupt stop. Turning while braking hard caused the rear end to lose traction and fishtail. I had time to let off the brake pedal, steer into the slide and regain 4 wheel traction without incident, but this made me worry. If the $14,000 Scion xB has standard ESC, why would Subaru not include this on all their cars? Perhaps this incident would not have happened in a Forester with 4 wheel disc brakes and EBD? I feel ESC (VDC, ESP, VSC, or whatever each car company calls it) is an excellent safety net when AWD and prudent driving behavior is not enough to avoid an accident.
  • Options
    My view is that the Forester doesn't need ESC. The problem you experience has to do with the OEM tires that come with the Forester. The Geolanders 900 are "B" rated for traction.. Get a tire with an "A" rating and superior traction ratings from the TireRack and I think that your stability problems will be 99% gone. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    4rest24rest2 Member Posts: 1
    2006 forester XT.
    It is about one year old. It has intermittent buzzing noise in steering column/wheel area when I am driving on bumpy freeway. The noise last for a while even after I am on a smooth road. Also it makes a sort of creaking/buzzing noise when I am turning my wheel especially when the cruise control paddle passes over the turn signal stick. I have taken to a dealer about 4 times about the problem. They have not been able to fix it since they cannot always duplicate the noise. First time they applied TBS 15-114-05. 2nd time they oiled “counter clock coil”. Both times, the noise went away for 2-3 weeks and came back.
    3rd and 4th times, they said they cannot verify it. Have anyone had similar problems and was able to fix it? Thanks.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Turning while braking hard caused the rear end to lose traction and fishtail."

A stability control program will not abridge the laws of physics. You can lose control of a car with a stability program by taking a slippery curve at an unsafe speed and applying hard braking. The Foresters' design is such that it doesn't really *need* a stability program as some other vehicles, but I agree it would be a great "nice to have" feature.
  • Options
    There's A rated tires for traction, but there are also AA rated tires. Those are the very best, but may not be available in certain sizes.

-juice
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    When the dealer looks at this, are they testing under the exact same conditions under which you encounter the buzzing? e.g., not repositioning the steering wheel, using your set of keys (i.e., assuming you have a big mess of keys on a ring and you take off the one key for the dealer visit).

This sounds like a friend o' mine with a Lotus Elan Plus-2 circa 1970. Had a noise coming from the rear that he couldn't trace down. Pulled the tires numerous times, checked and re-checked the suspension and other mechanicals. It finally dawned on him that the inside of the tire was occasionally rubbing on the suspension, causing the noise.

If the dealer is pulling the steering wheel to check for teh source of the noise, he may being running into the same situation as the above Elan Plus-2. My take - you have a loose part in there that gets dislodged on the bumpy freeway.
  • Options
    Also, one has to balance other factors as well such as tire noise, comfort, tread wear and road handling. With AWD an "A" rating is probably a good choice unless ice and snow are frequently encountered.
  • Options
    nutsnboltsnutsnbolts Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me some idea as to how much insurance costs for the base Forester x model in New Jersey? I'm trying to do research from overseas (moving back home at the end of the year), and it is difficult to find insurance without an actual NJ address.

Much thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The answer is it depends. You have to do a thorough comparision. If you have a good credit score, college diploma and 5 year clean driving record pick an insurance company that takes these factors into account and you will get a good rate.

But if your record is spotty, you will be quoted higher rates. As I said, you have to shop around to find the best rate. I believe I pay about $800 a year for the vehicle with full coverage and $500 deductible.
  • Options
    fdr1371fdr1371 Member Posts: 5
    That is about what I pay - $430/6 mo. on an '06 X MT.

Clean driving record - clean credit record.
  • Options
    prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    Can anyone give me some idea as to how much insurance costs for the base Forester x model in New Jersey?

Things like your age and driving record are important, as other responses have said, but note that New Jersey has (in)famously high car insurance rates, possibly the highest in the country.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Where you live (urban, suburban or exurban), commuting distance, annual miles driven, amount of coverage and your deductible also play a part in determining what you pay.

You think NJ is high? Heck I pay more ($514) in Atlanta and I have great credit, a spotless driving record and am in one of the lowest risk groups :(

-Frank
  • Options
    richyoungrichyoung Member Posts: 31
    Greetings all -

This past May, I drove my 2006 Forester to Denver. Everything was fine till I hit CO. The winds were quite rough, and it seems that at various times (5 or 6 on the way to Denver, and only once on the way back - in CO), a God-awful high pitched quasi-scream came from outside (although it seemed like inside) the car. I had the cruise on and increased speed to pass a truck. A couple of times, I was in the middle lane between a semi and other vehicles on either side. But two other times, I was pretty much out of any close proximity to other vehicles. I thought maybe it was the new satellite radio system, and turned it off - and it still made the noise. I am perplexed. Is is just one of those wind and velocity configurations, or ....
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    If you're sporting roof rails, then those can make a high-pitched buzz under certain wind conditions.

Depending on what speed you were traveling, it could have been the rubber seal at the top of the windshield, but I've only seen Forester(ok, mainly FXT) owners complain of that when going in excess of 100mph... so unless those mountain winds were REALLY strong, you got some 'splainin to do... :shades:
  • Options
    nutsnboltsnutsnbolts Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much guys. I needed to have some ball park figure so that I can do cost calculations. This is perfect!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    richyoungrichyoung Member Posts: 31
    Thanks - I was hoping to hear that - I am figuring that I was hitting close to 90 or so to pass a couple of trucks that were fishtailing a bit due to the wind...they reall are "that" strong....honest officer!

Besides, the antenna for the satellite is through the top of the windshield (rubber area)....hmm.
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
  • Options
    The local dealer in MD has them in stock, so they're out there...
  • Options
    ben23ben23 Member Posts: 2
    My new Forester overheated on a cold winter morning drive! I was extremely :mad: that this happened. Especially as my borther's 2003 model displayed the same problem. Replacing the radiator cap solved the problem but I would have thought tha Subaru would have solved this issue by now?
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I've had the same problem in my wife's '05. I read somewhere that it is caused by some poorly bundled wiring in the steering column (cruise control wand) and if you crack open the column and rebundle them with electrical tape it will go away.

I haven't done this myself as I don't drive the car often enough for it to bug me and my wife barely hears it.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I went for a test drive this weekend of the 2006 Forester X. I wasn't too pleased with the dealer. I have a couple of questions/observations that I'd like to ask owners.

1. I noticed the service engine light blinking the whole time of the test drive - which was less than 5 mins and under 1 mile. The dealer claims it's due to the engine not being prep'ed because it was new. Is there any chance he is correct?

2. There was also a clunking noise coming from the rear which he claims was loose accessories stored in the trunk but I didn't see anything loose other than the two front seat carpets.

3. The engine bay was extremely hot when I opened it. It was less than a mile of testing. Is this normal?
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The check engine light blinking is correct - they haven't prepped the car yet. Most new un-prepped cars do this.

The other two items you mentioned - no clue.
  • Options
    Given that car had not yet been PDI'd, I would not make any judgements based on that test drive. Call the dealer to schedule an appt for a vehicle that has been properly prepped. Shame on them for not doing things in the right order.

Ben: hadn't heard of many radiator cap failures, in fact those are the first two I'd heard of!

-juice
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Other than a wash, wax and putting down the carpeting, what else goes into a normal prep routine? I'm just curious as to how significant not properly preping a car affected my test drive.

One other question - what's the reason behind Subaru not having a door frame around the side windows?
  • Options
    I can't speak for the X, but my XT's engine heats up extremely fast (within the first mile) and the engine bay seems to take a couple of hours to cool down.

Remarkably because of the low engine position, though, the hood of my Forester is never hot to the touch no matter how long I've driven it or how recently I turned it off. But stand next to the front wheel for any amount of time and you'll definitely feel the heat coming off the boxer.

Doug