Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

L.A. to Detroit - 2016 Nissan Titan XD

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2017 in Nissan
imageL.A. to Detroit - 2016 Nissan Titan XD

This year, for our annual trip to the Detroit Auto Show, we picked our long-term 2016 Nissan Titan XD. Here are the details on the first half of the 6,000-mile trip.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Wasn't there already a post about the extremely high recommended tire pressures on this truck?

No matter what the door jamb says, an empty bed and no trailer should mean substantially lower tire pressures, I would think in the 40psi range. The result should be a much more compliant ride over small road imperfections and no real impact on the dismal fuel economy this thing provides.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "Once I got used to the ride quality of the truck, it was time to test out the stereo by playing music at full volume."

Now I understand why "What?" comes up in conversation so often with most folk under 35 these days. Do you think you won't need your hearing past 40 or something?

As for the pressures, they are ridiculous for an unladen truck. My buddy gets flak from the Ford dealership because he runs his tires for comfort and grip unless he knows he is going to load up and/or tow.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    With some stereos, there's no test of full volume required. You get it to 75% and boom, great sound. Not the case with the Titan. That's part of the point.

And yes, those pressures are ridiculous for an unladen truck.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    60lbs per tyre? That is about 20 too much so by my calculations you were carrying around an extra 80lbs of unsprung weight. No wonder the ride was so bad!
    Gotta go, mum says dinner is ready...
    ;)
  • bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    Playing the stereo at max volume for 30 minutes, repeatedly -- if I understand your article -- is just a recipe for permanent hearing damage. Welcome to tinnitus-ville. Not a happy place. Why anybody would deliberately damage their hearing is truly perplexing...

Speaking of DEF (see what I did there?), how much did you have to add during the trip?

As to the woeful fuel economy, and range, of this truck, I have to believe that almost any of the real heavy-duty trucks (i.e. the so-called 3/4 ton versions from Ford/GM/RAM) would have at least equalled the fuel economy and probably exceeded the range.