Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Monthly Update for January 2017 - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2017 in Toyota

Comments

• longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "The midsize truck format isn't so much about saving money or being more fuel-efficient."

An incredible statement. Like saying that buying a Focus instead of a Fusion isn't so much about saving money or being more fuel-efficient. If buying the next smaller, less-capable model vehicle in a mfg's lineup is not about saving $$ or fuel, then what is it about, exactly?
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

"The midsize truck format isn't so much about saving money or being more fuel-efficient."

An incredible statement. Like saying that buying a Focus instead of a Fusion isn't so much about saving money or being more fuel-efficient. If buying the next smaller, less-capable model vehicle in a mfg's lineup is not about saving $$ or fuel, then what is it about, exactly?

"It's about the maneuverability."
  • bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    Can we all acknowledge that Edmunds is going through a decline -- hopefully temporary? Their comments are 'alternative facts', to use the phrase of the moment. Opining that the midsize truck segment isn't about saving money or fuel is like saying that the Titan XD isn't about saving money or fuel over a true heavy-duty truck, nor besting other light-duty trucks in performance. (Oh wait, that is what they've said, but not in so few words...)

Suggesting that the Tacoma is suited for an 'urban' setting is just plain silly. As if anything stowed in the bed in an urban setting would be secure for more than a moment? (Even if that bucket-o-gold-flake thief is currently in South America. He's not the only opportunist roaming the urban areas!) So, in an urban setting, you put your stuff inside the passenger compartment. Meaning, an SUV/CUV would be as practical, and provide much easier parking, better fuel economy, and ride comfort, probably at a lower cost. And for the rare occasions that you need to haul bigger stuff from Home Depot, rent their flatbed truck for $20.

It's cool to be sensible, too! Isn't it?

As to the Tacoma's "best fill mpg", consider this: My 2016 RAM EcoDiesel 4WD CrewCab (Bighorn 6'4" bed) yielded 24.37 mpg in its most recent fill-up (yesterday), measured at the pump by me with a calculator (i.e. not relying on the vehicle's internal computations). 575.5 miles driven, requiring 23.607 gallons of diesel, at $2.399 per, with said miles comprising highway at 70 mph, routes at 40mph, town at 30 mph, and backroads at 15-25 mph, and some of that in 4WD due to snow and mud here in New England. And as I pulled into the fuel stop, I glanced at the load then in the bed, which consisted of 10 bales of hay and eight 50-lb sacks of swine and poultry feed. As I drove away, the driver's seat and steering wheel heater automatically turned on, because it was 28 degrees outside. Cumulative mileage since new is now 11,125... and I'm still glad I bought the RAM, in part due to Edmunds' review of their 2014 version.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

"It's about the maneuverability."
    And indeed, a Focus is more maneuverable and fits better in tight quarters than a Fusion...but if it were not also cheaper and capable of better fuel economy, I doubt Ford would sell many of them.

I think Toyota needs to actually do a complete renew of this truck, rather than just warming over the last-gen model...maybe then it would be capable of improving upon its current levels of performance and fuel economy.