Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    can someone take a quick peak under the front hood and tell me how many lifter struts you have to hold open the hood? is there one on both sides or only the RIGHT side?

One, on the driver's side.
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    ok Thanks :)
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    It could be normal behavior since it may be trying to remove some humidity so the windows won't fog up

I don't think this is the case. We have virtually NO humidity out here (dew point in the single digits, and we're in another drought -- no rain since early October) and the AC comes on if you turn the temp settings anywhere below the outside temp. The AC seems to come on anytime I hit "Auto", too, which is ridiculous if it's 40 degrees outside. Drives me nuts, too... :P

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was reading a book this week by a Colorado prof. who said that it's not the humidity but the density of the air (this in relation to why it feels colder in Boston than Denver at the same temperature). So I don't know. Maybe we can get Wwest to swing by here.

If I run the defrost in my minivan (at any temperature), the A/C will come on.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The rear struts, as mentioned in recent posts, are useles and have been on backorder for over a month. I guess Subaru didn't do any cold weather testing and if they did they missed this.

Mine started doing this when it was still 100 degrees out...my dealer says Subaru claims it's more of a weight problem...poor planning, if you ask me.

The transmission sounds and feels as if it is going to slam through the floor when shifting through the gears when cold.

I have just began to notice something similar. When first driving a cold car, I hear one hard shift/jerk with loud noise between 2nd and 3rd (I think), and then it doesn't do it again until the car is cold again (overnight, usually). My '99 Forester did the exact same thing for the 6.5 years I had it. Subaru tested it, replaced the tranny's computer module (also AT), and it still did it. They said there was nothing wrong with it. I just learned to live with it in the cold weather (it was 25 degrees here last night/this morning).

The oil burning prob is likely an indication of something much more serious than this, though...get it checked ASAP! Let us know what you find out...

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Karen

I am guessing that the Climate control systems in our beccas has no humidistat to read humidity. So it designed to make assumptions that when there is enough difference between the outside temp and the inside temp - both of which it knows it kicks the compressor into the mix. The fact that the light comes on does not mean the compressor is engaged.

I share the belief that Subarus design leaves a lot wanting.

Actual cabin temp vs temp set are no where near accurate

In cold weather warm air blow out of the 2 outboard vents on the dash, (no air come out of the inboard dash vents)
    even though the mode display shows air only going to the feet.

Inboard dash vents can not be closed - only aimed.

In a LTD the system should blow warmed air from the ceiling registers. Would help greatly keeping the rear cabin warm and also be a big assist to defog the hatch window since it's heaters are useless.

When system is set to defrost the windshield, virtually no air come out the 2 front side window vents to defog them. Not very safe if the 2 front windows are cover with snow or are fogged up.

Nothing that they did wrong would have cost any more for them to do correctly.

Too bad.
  • Options
    Your rear window defroster may be defective. I was driving yesterday in snow and temps in the 20s, and the snow was melting off very efficiently.

I believe the ceiling vents in the 7 passenger models are only for A/C. All models have heating ducts under the front seats pointing toward the rear. I've had no trouble keeping the interior warm here in Minnesota. It may be different where the winters are tougher. ;)
  • Options
    Put someone in the rear row and when you are starting to get comfortable ask them how they are doing in the back.

The system has vents in the ceiling why not be able to use them if necessary - that is all I am saying.
  • Options
    I have a 5 passenger Limited, so no third row. I do check with my back seat passengers about whether they are warm enough. No trouble so far, though we haven't had any serious subzero temps yet. Too bad they don't get heated seats like we have in front. :)
  • Options
    aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    The rear defroster and the front de icers worked flawlessly yesterday with the ice storm here in Charlotte NC. I am satisfied with the ACC in the Tribeca- an older car I had with also was equipped with ACC wouldn't wait for the engine to warm up before blasting air (most of the time real cold air!)- the Tribeca is at least modern that it'll wait until the engine is warm.

I have not had any trouble with the struts on the rear hatch- is it a faulty strut maybe? Dealer still hasn't received my replacement fog light yet!

AKA
  • Options
    megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    Well, i checked. When the AC lights comes on, the compressor will go on. The simplest way to know if the compressor is on or not is by looking at the radiator fans. The radiator fans comes on when coolant is hot or if ac compressor is on.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Re: the transmission -- this behavior is intentional. When cold, shift points are delayed for the first few minutes in order to rev slightly higher and warm up the transmission fluid quicker. The result is that shifts feel late and sloppy (as if the trans is dropping into each gear). But it helps the trans warm up quicker and gets you normal shifting behavior in a shorter amount of time. Subaru has been doing this with their transmission programming for a long time, at least since the mid 90s. I don't think it should be making loud bangs though, so hopefully that can be addressed.

Craig
  • Options
    mediaguy1mediaguy1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks. The banging has been getting worse for the past few months. It now feels as though the tranny is going come through the floorpan. I also own a 03 Forester with an automatic with no problems. We'll see what the Dealer says.
  • Options
    fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    What do you want for $33,000...a Toyota? I will update the forum after my visit to the dealer.

You can get a Pretty nice Honda Pilot for that.
  • Options
    manammanam Member Posts: 8
    I had a small accident a few days ago (rear skidded while making a rather sharp left turn. right rear wheel hit the curb and left a crack on the rim) :cry: . Now my steering wheel is not center anymore (off to the right by about 10 degree). Steering respond is rather erratic now. I'll take it the my dealer next week. I'm wondering if this is something serious. Any ideas where I can find a replacement wheel and how much will it cost?

Thanks,
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Insurance may cover that. Any OE wheel is going to cost you, my guess is $400-500. Plus the alignment.

-juice
  • Options
    Think twice before filing a claim!

Your deductible is probably $500, so if the wheel is $500 & the reairs are $200. Your get check for $200 from insurance.

Insurance companies rate you first on the number of claims not the amount. So having a claim on your record for measly $200 or so hurts just as much as a $5,000 claim for the sake of ratings.

Even if it is covered - do yourself a favor and eat it.
  • Options
    manammanam Member Posts: 8
    I found this link which sale a wheel for $250/$210.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/subaru1.htm

Anyone dealt with them before?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All modern day automotive A/C compressors are automatically disabled when the outside temperature is nearby (~35F), at, or below freezing. They will not operate under any cicumstances once disabled until the OAT again rises above freezing.

Most modern day systems will run the A/C compressor year 'round except in the above conditions. There is little or no cooling benefit to this when the OAT is below your comfort level by more than 5 degrees. These systems are kept running only in order to help keep, hopefully, the passenger cabin atmosphere's relative humidity well above the dewpoint of the cold windshield and windows.

The problem is that the ability for the A/C to dehumidify the incoming airstream efficiently is highly dependent on the local climatic conditions. As the outside temperature declines the probability that the A/C can efficiently perform this function also declines until at about ~47F OAT it is, for all practical purposes non-existent, and at ~35F it is non-existent.
  • Options
    That wheel as listed says it is 17".

B9s have 18" wheels. Either they have a typo or it is not a B9 wheel.
  • Options
    Nothing that they did wrong would have cost any more for them to do correctly.

Too bad.

Touché!

-Karen-
  • Options
    I had a small accident a few days ago (rear skidded while making a rather sharp left turn. right rear wheel hit the curb and left a crack on the rim)

Of course, from your discourse we are all assuming you are OK...please let us know that's the case!!!

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Must be a typo, because in the photo it's the right rim.

Keep in mind it was probably damaged and fixed, which might be OK.

The price is good for a used rim. I looked last night and even the 16" stock alloys run $250 and up new.

-juice
  • Options
    just a reminder for everyone to check their foglights to see if they are cracked :(

got mine replaced under warranty thru the subaru regional rep Tuesday and today had the ExPel guy put on a 30 mil 3m film over them :shades:

he said that the film does not stretch when doing the headlights but you form it over them. He tried using the 30 mil from the kit for the headlights but even working on it for 30 mins was not happy with the look. He is going to come back next week and use a 6 or 8 mil film instead custom cut from the expel system for the B9. The 30 mil had small lines showing where the light bubble portion of the headlight. see I have 2 very very small pits already on the headlight plastic...
  • Options
    mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    I am waiting for my fog light replacements to show up at the dealer. I ordered the X-PEL kit from drivingcomfort.com on Dec. 15. It was waiting for me at my house when I got home last night. That's less than a week - I was surprised.

I did read over the directions for installation. It doesn't seem too complicated. With any luck, the lights will come in while I'm vacationing at home next week. That will give me a chance to install the X-PEL right away.
  • Options
    harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    Well, I had my dealer look at the the hatch gate rods, and they state there is nothing wrong with them. Go figure.
    Subaru also responded to me as well stating they feel the dealers are the ones that can best evaluate the problem, and at this time no recall has been recomended.
    So, I plan to respond to Subaru and tell them the above and that the problem still exists.
    In the meantime I will keep my head low when opening the hatch. Happy Holidays to all.
  • Options
    the fog lights are very easy to install... he just sprayed the alcohol mixture, heated them lightly with a heat gun, and squeegeed the 30 mil film over them. perfect fit.

the headlights were a nightmare, perfect size but even heating and spraying so he could form it... was way too tough to get it without bubbles or seams showing over the bubble area of the headlights. If they sent you the 30 mil headlights as part of the kit, I would have a pro attempt it or have them swap for a thinner mil film. Just too many complex shapes with the B9 Headlights.
  • Options
    That has been my plan - install the fog light protection right away, before they break again, then worry about the headlights later. It is not comforting to hear that an installer was having such a difficult time with the headlights. I'm not sure I will even attempt it, based on your experience.
  • Options
    If they are the really thick film 30 mils then I would suggest you get a local installer try it. he worked on it for 20 mins before pulling off and giving up... saying he just wasnt happy with the end result. I know I would not be able to do it at all with the headlights. he is coming back next week with a 6 mil film instead.
  • Options
    It is very thick film. My local installer may be your local installer - there aren't too many in the Pittsburgh area. The closest one to me is in Cranberry.
  • Options
    didnt notice you were in Pittsburgh :)

I tried the first one in Cranberry but she wouldnt budge from $120 installed. I then saw there was another rep just north west of pittsburgh and he charged $90 installed plus tax.
  • Options
    I had the film installed my my headlights, hood, fender, and front bumper. You want the thick 30 mil for lights. Yes it is a pain but the lights need a thicker film for protection as it is not body panel and you are protecting the polycarbon lens. The 6 mil is too thin for lights. Get a pro to do the headlights. It took my installer like 10 mins to do each. Instead of using the precut 30 mil from xpel, see if your installer will do it from a bulk roll of film and cut it after installing it. This gives them more material to handle and stretch. Yes it is stretchable. I seen them do it. And that is the secret of having come out nice.
  • Options
    brianmnbrianmn Member Posts: 1
    Any Tribeca owners experience any moderate amount of vibrations in the steering wheel between 57-63mph? Bought a 5-passenger Limited almost a month ago now. My wife usually drives it so I only noticed it recently when she let me drive it.
  • Options
    I got a call from my dealer today saying the new struts are in...I'll have to find out if they are the same parts, or actually a new brand. It'll be next week before I can get over there. I'll everyone know what I find out. -Karen-
  • Options
    yes please do... I just had them mark in on my receipt that they had no known fix at this time. so that when they do come out with the improved struts I could get put in even if out of the 1st year.
  • Options
    I noticed it once around 80MPH. :shades: If it constantly vibrate around that ranage, try checking the tire presure to make sure both are EXACT. If that doesn't work, the tires might be out of balance.
  • Options
    See if you can hold on to the old ones. They are pretty expensive and u can use them as spares after the 3 year warr. period is over.

Mine works fine (after 3 months). If I run into that problem, I'll get it swap out just before the warr. period is over. Nothing beats a fresh pair to last couple years after the warr. period.
    :shades:
  • Options
    marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I was parked on the street today, and went into the store for 15 min. When I returned someone had sideswiped my Tribeca and kept going. :cry: The fender is scratched and the bumper is ripped from the body. I am hoping getting parts for repair will not be difficult. Has anyone had difficulty get parts for the Tribeca?
    Thanks,
    Marilyn
  • Options
    cdgchicdgchi Member Posts: 8
    I've been waiting for new struts for about 3 weeks, no one at the dealer or at Subaru Custumer non-help desk has any idea when these new redesigned(?) parts will arrive. I expect it will be around the same time the factory starts up again. This company is losing alot of the goodwill it had built up with my old Outback, they clearly didn't get this one right. Charlie
  • Options
    b9bingob9bingo Member Posts: 46
    I own a 06 7 Passenger Black B9 Limited with NAV/DVD, Tan Leather, and a few other options like Mud Guards, Cargo Matt, and Alarm.

One option I dont have that I wish I got was the puddle lights. The only black 7 Passenger Limited B9 with NAV/DVD combo in stock didn't have the Puddle lights, but to take advantage of a $1000 rebate I had to buy one that was in stock. I got a great deal on the B9 anyway so I can live without them.

I wonder if the wires are still there and if I just need to install some type of lights to were the puddle light would go? That would be great if they still ran the wires even though it's not equiped with the puddle lights.

I've owned my B9 for 5-6 weeks now, and I love it. Although I've had a few minor problems. First was when I moved my steering colum up and down I would lose power to my Nav. and my A/C controls. I played with the colum up and down till I lost power all together. Subaru fixed it within two hours. It turned out to be a conector in the harness that wasn't fully snapped in from the factor, and my moving the colum up and down eventually unpluged it. Quick fix, I was very happy about that.

Next is a missing center clip on a molding that says Subaru when you open the drivers door. Without it you have to tuck in the carpet ever now and then.

Last is I found a chip in the molding that goes around the shifter. Both the shifter molding and the clip for the other molding are on order. Lord knows when those parts will be in.

I have 1200 miles on the B9 and thus far they've been great even with these few problems.

Thanks In Advance For Your Replies.
  • Options
    No idea if this applies generally, but my fog lights are being replaced under warranty. They were ordered after my appointment on Dec. 15 (Thursday). They arrived at the dealer on Dec. 19 (Monday). I hope you have a similar experience.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. I believe in Karma so whoever hit you has it coming to him/her.

-juice
  • Options
    dell128dell128 Member Posts: 11
    mediaguy1,

I was not as diligent as I should have been with respect to checking my oil but I found myself with no measurable oil on the dipstick. After adding 3 quarts I took my B9 to the dealer for an analysis of the problem. The service rep showed me a TSB that stated that the supply of certain oil filters is limited so do not use them until the customer complains of leakage. This was my second oil change. I had no problems after the first change at 3000 miles. As seems to be the case, there is no problem until the customer complains.
  • Options
    How else could they know? We have to work with dealers to trouble shoot any potential issues, they should be seen as an ally, not an opponent.

-juice
  • Options
    cdgchicdgchi Member Posts: 8
    This seems to be the new Subaru of American way with hold information and keep parts inventory down to a minimum. It is very hard to have confidence that this company will do the right thing without being prodded.
  • Options
    They can't accurately predict what will fail, if they could they'd design a better part in the first place.

So far we've seen the hatch struts and the fog light covers are the weak spots, so expect supply of those to be short until they can adjust production.

-juice
  • Options
    dell128dell128 Member Posts: 11
    Actually I was very grateful to the dealer service rep for showing me the TSB. I realize he is only the messenger in this case. My issue is with Subaru for not reaching out to those with the defective filters. The TSB listed several models but did not specifically name the B9. When I pointed this out the service guy said the B9 uses the same oil filter. Don't remember which models were listed other than Impreza. You may also ask why didn't I notice oil under the vehicle but that's another story.
  • Options
    prime2prime2 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 2006 Tribeca w/the touchcreen navigation system. When navigating, the location you are going to is off up to 1/2 mile. For example, my New Jersey home address is wrong by 1/2 mile. When I reach my house, it tells me to keep going down the road. Took vehicle to dealer - confirmed this as true (tested several addresses - some right, a high percentage wrong). I noted that the East coast disc box and disc itself is labeled with a version number for 2005-2006, However, when you run the software it indicates a different lower version number. the subaru deler identified the issue as a software problem -- anyone having the same issue and, if so, have you had any resolution??? Regards and thanks.
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    The filter problem has been posted on the internet a few months ago. It's a bad batch from India (what a supprise). Did you ever noticed any oil spot from where you packed your B9 every night? From what I read, SOA recalled those filters from dealer but not customers.
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    There is a Nav calibration function in Nav setup. Did you try that?
This discussion has been closed.