Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My thoughts after three months...

mankumanku Member Posts: 76
edited March 2017 in Subaru
First time Subaru Buyer...2.5 Limited with Eyesight...leased in Los Angeles.

Pros: Price, space, AWD, nice finish for price, visibility, practicality.

Cons: Seats not very comfortable, especially non-adjustable passenger. Handling, power, sound system average. Throttle tip-in...very jumpy. City MPG not great.

Overall, a good solid practical car. However, yesterday I drove on Topanga Canyon to Ocean. There the handling shortcomings were on full display...going around corners I felt the car was going to fly off road...my Ford Edge blows it away, and my previous Audi Allroad is no comparison. Fortunately, I don't do that type of driving too often...mainly on straight roads or gently curving roads at slower speeds.

Probably wouldn't get another one...my wife definitely doesn't want one. Best part of owning one is the lack of Outbacks in my neighborhood so I can easily find it in the parking lot!

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited March 2017
    Great to hear you're enjoying your new ride! If you want to post a review for your car (that you can update as your ownership experience progresses), you can do that on our Consumer Ratings & Reviews page
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    manku said:

However, yesterday I drove on Topanga Canyon to Ocean. There the handling shortcomings were on full display...going around corners I felt the car was going to fly off road...my Ford Edge blows it away, and my previous Audi Allroad is no comparison.

Have you checked the tire air pressure?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Also, what tires came on the car? Generally, I'm never impressed with the tires on new vehicles. They never last as long or perform as well as what I replace them with
  • mankumanku Member Posts: 76
    Have checked pressure...tires are standard issue...I'm certainly not dropped 1K to replace brand new tires! Especially on a lease.

Tires don't explain sluggish handling on turns at speed...tires were holding fine.

I never expected an Outback to be sporty...just an observation on my part.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    manku said:

Tires don't explain sluggish handling on turns at speed...tires were holding fine.

They most certainly do.

The OEM tires are T rated which have more flex than H or V rated tires. Also, 225/60-17 is a high profile tire this day and age. High profile = more flex.
  • mankumanku Member Posts: 76
    dcm61 said:

manku said:

They most certainly do.

The OEM tires are T rated which have more flex than H or V rated tires. Also, 225/60-17 is a high profile tire this day and age. High profile = more flex.
    Yes, if I'm taking the turns at 80 mph...but I was going fairly normal speed...no different than my ford edge with has boring, high profile michelin tires. even my allroad had fairly high profiles.

Nothing wrong with the Subaru's performance...I don't think anyone is confusing it for a Ferrari!