Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Newt. If your leased A4 is definitely worth more than its purchase option price and you would have to pay a $3,000 excess mileage penalty on it if you returned it, you definitely should look into trading it in or selling it on your own.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi longislandguy. $500 over dealer invoice is a good price for this car. However, I believe that Audi Financial Services' current 36 month buy rate lease money factor for it is actually .00080, not .00008. If you are able to get this car for $500 over invoice and have the dealer use its buy rate to calculate your monthly payment you are getting a very good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi guru_ck. It appears as though you negotiated a selling price of around $1,000 over invoice on this car. This is a pretty good price, but I have seen other community members negotiate prices of $500 over invoice or slightly less lately. Overall you got a good price, but if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition I would not have been surprised if you were able to scrape another couple hundred dollars off of this car's selling price.

I also see that you made a capitalized cost reduction of around $1,200 on your car. I personally always advise community members not to make down payments on leased vehicles. Consumers who do risk losing them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Overall, as long as you had the dealer that you are working with calculate this car's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor, I would say that this is a decent deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • igoraligoral Member Posts: 24
    Thank you, Car_man!

And thanks a lot for your help!
  • larwil324larwil324 Member Posts: 18
    I would double check the tax amount that was rolled into your monthly payment. If you compare the total taxes before they were rolled in, you will find that they were somewhat lower. I don't think the total tax amount should change to a higher amount just because it is rolled into the cap cost of the vehicle but this is happening. For anyone reading this let me know your opinion.
  • igoraligoral Member Posts: 24
    Car_man,

I had the same problem when I was signing my lease papers, if you refer to my message 1049. However, I figured out what the dealer tried to do and didn't go for it.

When sales tax or any other fee is capitalized, it is supposed to be added to the total depreciation amount of the vehicle and taxed at .00115 or 2.76% per year. However, the dealer was adding the tax to the selling price of the vehicle! As the result the sales tax itself was being taxed at the state tax level, i.e. in NJ at 7% instead of 2.76%.

When I pointed out the problem, the dealer entered the tax amount on the correct line of the worksheet and the payment matched my calculations.
  • jeffstrajeffstra Member Posts: 5
    is there any downside to paying the full lease in cash up front? seems i can save some $$.

i know car_man always says not to put money down, does the same rule apply here, or because this isn't cap cost reduction, is this safe?
  • jjb2862jjb2862 Member Posts: 1
    A4 Turbo

$393 month
    36 months
    12k miles
    Initial payments $2,500

Price of Car $31,668
    any input???
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Member Posts: 51
    How many miles were on this lease 12K 15K? What happened to the 24 month 15K deal audi was running on the A4? Is is over? Thanks
  • fstylesfstyles Member Posts: 3
    Car_Man,

I am interested in leasing the following car, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time leasing so I want to know everything I can before I head into the lion's den.

2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
    Equiped with:

Triptronic
    WQX, S line Package
    PSR, Audio Package (Sirius) $
    PQX, Titanium Package

Lease:
    24 month, Possibly 36
    15k miles
    MSRP: 37,160
    Invoice: 34,494

I would like to know the Money Factor and Residual. Also, what is a good Cap Cost for this car compared to the invoice.

Thanks, :)
  • bingo883bingo883 Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and hope to get some respond from anyone out there.
    I got my Audi A4 on Dec4 last year and I paid a total OTD $1300 (doc fee, lic fee, 1st mo payment, tax.....), $398/mo including tax for 3 years with ALL maintaince included for the term of the lease. 12k per year.
    My Car is a 2007 A4 2.0T CVT, Premium Package, Quartz Gray Metallic. Very basic...
    Good deal or Not good deal...
    Thanks...
  • floridabob2floridabob2 Member Posts: 6
    I got the same car with metallic paint and wood trim. I paid $1000 out of pocket and my payments are $381 with tax. The lease is for 2 years with 15,000 mi/yr. They also made my last payment of $350 on my previous leased car. I do not have maintenance included in mine. I'm not too good at doing the figures. They had a deal through Audi which just recently expired. Did you know about it? I think it was less than what you paid, but for a two year lease. I'm sure the experts at this forum will respond to you. Enjoy your new car.
  • szubiilyszubiily Member Posts: 3
    Hi, still newbee to this forum... I am considering leasing a Audi A4 quattro. Have seen lots of people discussing differnt lease offer, but the current lease offer (with Premium Package and heated front seats) posted on audiusa.com looks attractive enough to me. Is it a good deal?

I have made a quick calc on that offer, and was able to match it (after tweaking the numbers of course) using the edmunds lease calculator.

Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, equit with Premium Package and heated front seats
    Here is what audi offer
    $33,510 MSRP
    36 months lease
    Residual $20,510 (60% of MSRP)
    Down payment $0
    Security deposit $0
    Acquisition fee $575
    10,000 miles per year
    $379 (excl. tax) monthly.

Here is what I calculated to match $379 offer
    $31,400 OTD
    36 months lease
    Residual $20,510
    Down payment $0
    Security deposit $0
    Acquisition fee $575
    Money Factor 0.00115
    $378.82 (excl. tax) monthly.

so it looks like audi leasing a $33,510 MSRP car at $31,400 OTD with 0.00115MF, which +$250 of invoice price. It looks a good deal to me, but is it a real good deal? The 60% residual looks a little bit too low to me. Wondering if there is any chance to negotiate a higher residual on this offer?

Thanks, any idea are appreciated.

Billy
    Sounds like a great deal to me consider this is a quattro lease they are offering. I thought I made a good deal on my A4(read post #1084 for details) but I rather pay a little extra for a quattro. Beware that the car you want is the same car they have to offer. (matelic paint and performance package are all extra.....)

floridabob2: You got a good deal too... The dealer gave me almost the same deal for a 2yrs lease but I wanted a 3 yrs deal since I will be paying the same amount to get the car out the door.... (cheaper in the long run, I guess????)

Happy Auding!!!
    By the way, the 60% residual is quite high for a 3 yr lease on Audi. Usually most cars are at 58% to 62% depending on brand.
  • pootie562pootie562 Member Posts: 6
    I am currently in the process of negotiating a deal on the audi a4 2.0 t cvt and was wondering if what they were offering me were good deals. Here are the deals
    Stock Number 30340
    >
    >
    >A4 2.0T Automatic CVT
    >
    >
    >Brilliant Black with Ebony Interior
    >
    >
    >Premium Package which includes
    >
    >
    > Power Sunroof
    >
    >
    > Leather Seating Surfaces
    >
    >
    > 17" Alloy Wheels
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >MSRP is $30,960
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >3 year, 12,000 miles lease
    >
    >
    >$1,279.21 including ALL fees, license, tax, etc.
    >
    >
    >35 X $348.04 plus tax or 35 X $376.75 including sales tax (LA County - will
    >go down if you are Orange county)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >Stock Number 30017
    >
    >
    >A4 2.0T Automatic CVT
    >
    >
    >Deep Sea Blue Pearl (a very dark blue - almost black) with Platinum
    >Interior
    >
    >
    >Premium Package
    >
    >
    >Convenience Package which includes
    >
    >
    > Homelink Garage Door Opener
    >
    >
    > Power Front Passenger Seat
    >
    >
    > Light/Rain Sensors
    >
    >
    > Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror With Compass
    >
    >
    > Auto-Dimming And Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors
    >
    >
    > Bi-Xenon Headlights With Advanced Front Lighting System
    >
    >
    > Trip Computer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >MSRP is $33,535
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >3 year, 12,000 miles lease
    >
    >
    >$1,324.08 including ALL fees, license, tax, etc.

please give me your opinions
  • szubiilyszubiily Member Posts: 3
    Your deal looks good to me too. the maintenance package and 12k per year make it different. 10k per year sounds too low to me, i will negotiate to have a 12k per year though
  • fstylesfstyles Member Posts: 3
    Car_man (Or someone else who knows),

Could you please list the Money Factor and Residual for January 2007 for the following cars based on either a 24month/15k or 36month/15k lease:

Audi A4 2007 2.0T S-Line Manual Transmission

Audi A4 2007 2.0T Quattro S-Line Manual Transmission

I went to the dealer and they told me the Residual were 63% and 55% with a Money factor of .00130. The money factor seems reasonable but the residual is horrible compared to last month when it was 72%. I don't know if the dealership is messing with me or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan :)
  • pootie562pootie562 Member Posts: 6
    Car man as I am still unsure of the deal they were offering me, is it a good deal? If not what can i do to help lower the price of the lease? any ideas
  • lvshanelvshane Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me if it is possbile to negotiate the cap cost of the A4 even though Audi is running a lease special on the car? I know the dealer will tell me it is not possbile, but I want to be armed to get the best possible price. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thnaks.
  • gman0104gman0104 Member Posts: 2
    I am a long time reader of these forums and must say that they are very, very informative.

Just came back from an Audi dealer here in NY and this is what he "offered" for an A4 2.0T:

Quattro
    Convenience pkg.
    Audio pkg.
    Nav
    prem
    36/15k

MSRP 38260
    total price 37400
    otd 1133.00(1st mo(513) + bank fee 620)

For the A4 3.2 Quattro
    Same options as above.
    36/15k

MSRP 43260
    Total price 41640.00
    monthly pymnt 634.30

All includes the taxes rolled into the payments (NYC).

He did say as I was walking out the door that he might be able to do better.

I need some feedback. Car-Man.
    Well according to carsdirect, the target selling price for the 4cyl should be $36,530. Also the bank fee listed on the AUDI site is $575 not $620, hope this helps.
  • lxs333lxs333 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone noticed that the handbrake is actually touching the armrest after you applied it? I'm from San Francisco and I have to use my handbrake every second after I parked the car. But this 2006 A4 just made me nut coz I need to raise up my armrest before I can apply the handbrake, just bad design and wanna let you all know about this.
    tks.
  • guru_ckguru_ck Member Posts: 25
    Yup, same issue here. I use it all the time as well since I have the 6-speed manual. The armrest is fully adjustable though so I'd recommend letting it sit a litter higher so that the e-brake doesn't interfere with it as much. I agree though, bad design on their part but I love the cup holders!
  • dgr614dgr614 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the current Audi residual and MF offered on a 2007 A4 3.2 quattro tiptronic sedan? Would like to do some math before approaching a dealer...
  • daveyb101daveyb101 Member Posts: 1
    worked up a deal on an A4 2.0T 36mo with a money factor of .0008. admittedly, a pretty nice rate, but i got the feeling that it wasn't set in stone. am i crazy? how low is audi going right now?
  • desgnconcptsdesgnconcpts Member Posts: 53
    24 mo/15k mi – Resid 65%/.00080 MF
    36 mo/15k mi – Resid 57%/.00080 MF

12K, add 2% to resid
    10K, add 3% to resid

For 36K or longer lease terms, add 1% to Resid Value if Audi Maintenance plan is added to lease

Just FYI -- Resid is down 8% (on 24/15 lease) from offer that ended 1/7/07, but MF is down from 2.76% to current 1.92%.
  • andrey600andrey600 Member Posts: 3
    Car_Man and other members,

How are you doing guys? I've been reading this forum for some time and finally decided to buy A4 myself.

Audi has the following program right now on their website:

A4 quattro with auto
    Non metallic paint (red, black or white) with Premium package and heated front seats:
    $379/month for 36 months for 10,000 miles
    No money down
    Acq fee is 575 + First month payment
    Excluded taxes and DMV fees

I want the same car but with the metallic paint and 15,000 miles. I called several dealerships and here is what I got:

Is this deal sounds reasonable?

Metallic paint
    $420/month for 36 months for 15,000 miles
    Acq fee + first month payment = $954
    Taxes $379 * 36 = $13,644 * 0.08375 (NY Tax) = $1,142
    So total money down with DMV fees is approx. 2,500 Should I be paying that upfront or include it in payments?

I called several dealerships thinking that I could negotiate and lower that price, but all of them said that Audi has this program right now and prices are fixed. Is that true?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Re prices being fixed -- that's a load of b.s. They hope people will believe it, but you're on this forum, so you know better.

Let's take your example of the car with metallic paint:
    MSRP $33,985,
    Invoice $31,605 plus they will add $300 dealer ad fee Audi is supposed to be charging, plus $195 port prep fee. The total invoice they would likely show you: $32,100

Here's how you would calc if you decided to pay the $595 upfront and your taxes upfront (I would recommend rolling this into the lease) but basic calc, if you got the car at invoice: (36 mos, 15,000 mi yr)

32,100 (Cap Cost) - 19,371 (Resid 57% x 33,985)
    = 12,729 / 36 mos = 353.58
    (this part is considered the rent or depreciation on the car for the 36 mos)

Add to the above:
    32,100 (Cap Cost) + 19,371 (Resid of 57%) = 51,471 x .0008(MF) = $41.18
    (this part is the finance cost)

Total 353.58 + 41.18 OR $394.76 per month

You can do the same calculations yourself -- you can capitalize the Acq Fee of $595, you can capitalize the taxes and DMV fees, etc and simply walk out the door with a new car and only the 1st month payment getting paid.

One other note -- if you're leasing the car for that long, the maintenance program retails for $550 and will add 1% residual value (58%) to the 36/15K program. It only covers sched maint, not wear items like brake pads, but it's still a good idea paying (almost) for itself with incr in resid value.

So, your quoted deal of $420 of month can be made much better -- is the ~$25 mo better in your pocket?

See Car_Man's posts in December and January -- he advises totally against any money down.

Best of luck
    I have listed the net cost of the various exterior colors below.
    Brilliant Black ($0)
    Light Silver Metallic ($432)
    Quartz Gray Metallic ($432)
    Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect ($432)
    Brilliant Red ($0)
    Ibis White ($0)
    Phantom Black Pearl Effect ($683)
    Ocean Blue Pearl Effect ($683)
    Dolphin Gray Metallic ($683)
    Dakar Beige Metallic ($683)
  • alcarmediaalcarmedia Member Posts: 5
    Hi car man. First post, long time reader. I'm in the market for a new audi A4 Quattro and I wanted your opinion on what you think a reasonable dollar amount over invoice should be...i.e. $200, $500 etc.

I'm getting a deal quote today so I'll pass the specifics on when I get them

Thanks CarMan.
  • bwhiteheadbwhitehead Member Posts: 3
    I am working out a 36 month lease on an 2007 quattro S-Line. The dealer tells me that the residual on the S-Line is 2 points lower than a non S-Line. Does that sound right?
    Updated Resid & MF's:

Incr RV 2% for 12k mi/yr (for 36 mos)
    Incr RV 3% for 10k mi/yr (for 36 mos)
    Add 1% to 36 mo lease if Audi Maintenance purchased

A4 4dr Sedan 2.0T Quattro
    24 mo/15k mi – RV 65%, .00080 MF
    36 mo/15k mi – RV 57%, .00080 MF

A4 4dr Sedan Quattro 3.2L
    24 mo/15k mi – RV 61%, .00075 MF
    36 mo/15k mi – RV 53%, .00075 MF

A4 4dr Sedan S4
    24 mo/15k mi – RV 65%, .00301 MF
    36 mo/15k mi – RV 56%, .00301 MF

A4 4dr Sedan RS4
    24 mo/15k mi – RV 61%, .00300 MF
    36 mo/15k mi – RV 52%, .00300 MF
  • bwhiteheadbwhitehead Member Posts: 3
    I mean for the 2.0 with the S-Line Package. Sorry if I did not specify. The dealer quoted me a 57% for the quattro and 55% for the quattro with S Line.

It just makes no sense that a more expensive package drops the residual 2 points. To me anyway.

Thanks for any input,,
  • a4fana4fan Member Posts: 2
    Hi I've been following for a while. I plan to buy or lease a 2006 A4 with 8,000 miles. My local dealer has MSRP at 28,870 (NY)..across the river in (NJ) same car, mileage at 26,996 Do you think I could lease this pre -owned for about $300/ month 2 year lease with 12,000 miles/year.FICO 800 or should i buy outright cash and if so what would be a good cash price? Thank guys :confuse:
  • jasonscottjasonscott Member Posts: 14
    My current Volvo C70 lease is expiring and I am leaning towards the A4 Convertible...

Any advice or leasing deals that anyone is aware of?

Also, I love the red leather in the brochure but I know it only is available in the S series...is it worth the bump in price?

Finally - I see alot of people referring to the lease spreadsheet program...where can I download this file?

Thanks in advance
  • alcarmediaalcarmedia Member Posts: 5
    I have just received the following offer on a 2007 A4 and wanted to get feedback from froum members on the deal:

Quattro Manual
    Heated Front Seats
    Front Lic Plate Holder
    Navigation
    Convenience
    Premium Audio
    Bluetooth
    S-Line
    36/15k

MSRP $41,085
    INVC $38,462.43
    SALE $38,712.43
    CAP $39,307 (inc. $550 svc pckg and $45 doc fee)
    RES $23,007.6
    MF $.0008

otd $1,457.84(1st mo $544.09 + lease aquisition fee $575 + license fee $338.75)

Good Deal???

Thanks.
    You're very welcome, igoral.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jeffstra. Advance pay leases are different than making a large down payment when leasing. You should receive a refund for the remaining portion of your lease if your vehicle is in an accident. The policy on this matter may vary from bank to bank so it wouldn't hurt to check with the bank that you are leasing through directly or to speak with the F&I person at the dealership you are working with to make certain that this is the case.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jjb2862. What is this car's MSRP? It will show me how much of a discount you are being given and will enable me to use Audi's current lease program to estimate what your vehicle's monthly payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I'm not sure, dpeck1. I just used the money factor and residual value that you provided me with in your post. Audi is still providing support on 24 month leases, but it decided to advertise a 36 month lease this month. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Sedan with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00080 and 65%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00080 and 57%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome szubiily. Manufacturers' advertised lease payments are usually pretty good deals. Having said this, they also usually leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. If one thinks about it, it makes sense. Dealers would be pretty irritated if manufacturers advertised the thinnest possible deal on a car or truck. Consumers who are in areas that have a decent level of competition and who shop around are usually able to beat manufacturers' advertised lease payments.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi pootie562. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello Ryan. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for 24 month lease of a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Sedan 2WD with the S-Line Package and 15,000 miles per year are .00080 and 62%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00080 and 54%. If you were to lease a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Sedan with quattro and the S-Line Pkg. through AFS right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 63%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00080 and 55%. These money factors assume that you are paying a security deposit and AFS' $575 acquisition fee at lease signing. AFS will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of .00015 in your vehicle's money factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    The answer to your question, lvshane, is a definite yes. The selling prices of leased vehicles are always negotiable, regardless of what sort of special money factors or lease cash manufacturers are providing on them. Furthermore, consumers who live in areas that have a decent level of competition are usually able to negotiate lower selling prices than the ones that are used in manufacturers' advertised payments.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi dgr614. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. According to the latest information that I have seen, Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A4 3.2 Sedan with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00075 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello daveyb101. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is the lowest possible factor that is available on a lease of it through Audi Financial Services right now. Manufacturers often have the ability to "mark-up" banks' published money factors, but they cannot provide consumers with lower money factors than banks' published buy rates. There is no mark-up going on here.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I'm glad that you are such an avid reader of this discussion, andrey600. The monthly payment that you were quoted for this car looks reasonable to me, but the best way for me to give you a detailed analysis of this deal is to look at its MSRP and selling price. These numbers will show me how much of a discount you are being given on this car and they will enable me to use Audi's current lease program to estimate what its monthly payment should be. Let me know what these numbers are and I will tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome aboard, alcarmedia. I personally would offer $500 over invoice if I was in the market for a 2007 Audi A4 right now. You definitely should check out the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately before entering into negotiations: "Audi A4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi bwhitehead. For those of you who are interested in models that have the S-Line package, their residual values are 2 points lower than equivalent models that do not have that package.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.